• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

So when will we get a UHD Premium Gaming certification label? Where we can expect HDR being able to run alongside Game Mode and the Input Lag is <20ms.

And UHD Premium 3D Gaming that has the same requirement as above, but with the added in 3D as well requirement.

I can turn on game mode when there is an hdr signal coming to my 2016 p-series vizio.

Hdmi 5 is around 17ms BTW. Vizio is updating this hdmi port to process hdr10 soon.

Blizzje

Can you turn on game mode on the Sony 65"XD93 in HDR? Also, I'm seeing conflicting reports of 37ms and 51ms lag. Was it improved by a firmware update?

Bonk

DF has an article on HDR and they talk about gaming and they say the best bet for HDR gaming right now is to get a TV that doesn't have insane lag outside of game mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

From what I've seen the Panasonic DX902 is the best performer so far with 38ms latency. E6 OLED has 64ms, which is still acceptable.

I can confirm that it is a great set. Black levels and all around picture quality is great , pretty darn close to the OLEDs and definitively way obove my old Panasonic Plasma. HDR performance is outstanding. You have to live with rather narrow viewing angles and haloing on things like the credits reel (white on black).

Strange that it seems not available in the US yet.

Rodin

I've been using the E6 outside of game mode quite a bit since I bought it and it feels fine to me. Just be sure to disable the post processing junk (use ISF Expert picture modes).

And this is coming from somebody who is very sentitive to input lag, if that means anything to anyone.
50.7ms outside of game mode according to RTINGS. That's pretty good all things considered.

pswii60

I can confirm that it is a great set. Black levels and all around picture quality is great , pretty darn close to the OLEDs and definitively way obove my old Panasonic Plasma. HDR performance is outstanding. You have to live with rather narrow viewing angles and haloing on things like the credits reel (white on black).

Strange that it seems not available in the US yet.
I tried the 58" DX902 before settling on my B6 and aside from the very limited viewing angles and haloing, I had massive issues with motion smearing. I could see it on any fast moving content, and this included 60fps games. The black levels were impressive for a LCD when viewed head-on though. But the motion smearing was a show stopper. The B6 is absolutely leagues ahead in terms of picture quality IMHO.

DF has an article on HDR and they talk about gaming and they say the best bet for HDR gaming right now is to get a TV that doesn't have insane lag outside of game mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

E6 OLED has 64ms, which is still acceptable.

50.7ms outside of game mode according to RTINGS. That's pretty good all things considered.
Quite a bit difference between those two measurements.

Hm I didn't even consider games would use HDR mode when I bought my B6. That's worrying, especially on my PC. I assume there's no games out now that I could test it on (on PC that is)?

On a related note, replacement B6 is arriving today.

Bonk

I tried the 58" DX902 before settling on my B6 and aside from the very limited viewing angles and haloing, I had massive issues with motion smearing. I could see it on any fast moving content, and this included 60fps games. The black levels were impressive for a LCD when viewed head-on though. But the motion smearing was a show stopper. The B6 is absolutely leagues ahead in terms of picture quality IMHO.

I did not see the b6 specifically head to head but can't complain on motion performance on my end. I don't play too many first person shooters and racing games though. As I live in a very bright apartment the better brightness and great HDR sealed the deal.

Rodin

Quite a bit difference between those two measurements.

Yup, it's a bit odd. This is what their review says:

Input Lag: 34.2 ms
With Interpolation: 127 ms
Outside Game Mode: 50.7 ms

Update 06-17-2016: The input take can take some time to stabilize, but adjusting the picture mode to 'Game' and changing the input icon to 'Game console' reduces the input lag to 34.2ms. Ensure 'TruMotion' is disabled.

Update 08-09-2016: The input lag outside game mode was updated to 50.7ms and the input lag under HDR mode was also verified, and it is also of 50.7 ms.
Maybe DF tested a TV with an older firmware? Anyway that should be enough for many people. I keep my EG9100 in game mode+PC mode for 29ms input lag, but i tried game mode alone (which is around 50ms) and i found it playable.

flozuki

I love the E6 but the DX902 is a damn fine TV in my opinion.

kanuuna

HDTVtest review of LG's E6 is out.

HDTVtest.co.uk said:
lag.jpg

Haint

Hm I didn't even consider games would use HDR mode when I bought my B6. That's worrying, especially on my PC. I assume there's no games out now that I could test it on (on PC that is)?

On a related note, replacement B6 is arriving today.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has an HDR mode, though I think you will need a 2016 GPU (10XX Nvidia, 4XX AMD) to use it.

x3sphere

Rise of the Tomb Raider has an HDR mode, though I think you will need a 2016 GPU (10XX Nvidia, 4XX AMD) to use it.

hm, any idea how you activate it? I have a C6 + Pascal Titan X, Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't bring up an HDR prompt or anything when launching it and I don't see anything in the settings.

It's weird that Xbox One out of all places is going to have the first HDR games. Unless some PC stuff squeezes in between now and the Forza release.

ToD_

If I understand correctly, LG E6 have stuttering in 24p material? And you can't get rid of it with in any way?

That's certainly alarming for those who like to watch movies and are sensitive to that. I wonder if it simply accepts 24p signals and displays it at 60hz anyway, or if it's something about the way it processes 24p content.

Haint

hm, any idea how you activate it? I have a C6 + Pascal Titan X, Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't bring up an HDR prompt or anything when launching it and I don't see anything in the settings.

See above, my mistake, did not realize the patch wasn't out yet.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's weird that Xbox One out of all places is going to have the first HDR games. Unless some PC stuff squeezes in between now and the Forza release.

Doesn't Lawbreakers already support HDR on Pascal and AMD 470/480s? The Witness and Rise of the Tomb Raider are also getting updates.

I truly hope Witcher 3 gets an HDR update, the game would benefit more than any other from it. Even if they do not update assets to use the bt2020 colorspace, they could still rework the lighting a bit to give us some spectacular skyboxes and better landscape detail.

Which brings me to a big question: When will developer tools be updated to support the new colorspace. They suddenly have a much larger swatch of vibrant colors to use, how long will it take them to leave Rec.709 behind when thinking of asset creation and color choices.
Rec2020.png
That is a lot of new realestate to work in.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
That's certainly alarming for those who like to watch movies and are sensitive to that. I wonder if it simply accepts 24p signals and displays it at 60hz anyway, or if it's something about the way it processes 24p content.

Alarming and unacceptable for 3000 EUR for sure (what it costs in Sweden, 55" model).
This test of the 65"-model (same panel?), shows some stuttering in "slow pans".

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled65e6v-201608104333.htm

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If I understand correctly, LG E6 have stuttering in 24p material? And you can't get rid of it with in any way?

if you don't turn TruMotion on, it doesn't handle it quite as well as other TVs handle 24fps content.

That said, it has plenty of control options for TruMotion, so a pretty mild TruMotion setting handles the situation without introducing the Soap Opera Effect. It's not noticeable once it's dialed in.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
if you don't turn TruMotion on, it doesn't handle it quite as well as other TVs handle 24fps content.

That said, it has plenty of control options for TruMotion, so a pretty mild TruMotion setting handles the situation without introducing the Soap Opera Effect. It's not noticeable once it's dialed in.

Ok thanks for clarifying. So is there any reason you wouldn't use TruMotion?

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
given the motion resolution increase on the LG OLEDs, it's way better with it on at a very mild setting, than with it off. The pro calibrators who calibrate them turn it on.

Thanks! Well I may have exaggerated a bit, if it's minimal stuttering with TruMotion on as you say.

ToD_

given the motion resolution increase on the LG OLEDs, it's way better with it on at a very mild setting, than with it off. The pro calibrators who calibrate them turn it on.

Still a little disappointing motion interpolation needs to be enabled in order to resolve that issue. Even if it's at a low setting, it is still inserting frames and therefore altering the presentation. I prefer minimal processing when possible. Hopefully this is something they can sort with future models.

Just got a LG OLED B6 - Any calibration recommendations online for movie watching and gaming? I know every set is different, but I'm looking to build a baseline I can work from without dishing out cash for my own calibration.

kanuuna

They actually already reviewed the E6, that's just a seperate test of the 65 inch version.

I must've missed this, my bad.

I truly hope Witcher 3 gets an HDR update, the game would benefit more than any other from it. Even if they do not update assets to use the bt2020 colorspace, they could still rework the lighting a bit to give us some spectacular skyboxes and better landscape detail.

TW3 has pretty bad banding issues with the sky in particular. HDR would probably help with that.
I don't expect CDPR to put any HDR support into TW3 now that they're 'finished' with the game, though. Unless an Enhanced Edition is happening, which I don't think is happening.

Smokey

Can't emphasize enough how these piss poor HDR+ gaming numbers make me feel. yeah it's not much of a thing now outside of xbox one s, but moving forward it will be.

ffs i'm ready to punt this shit samsung 1080p set i have

Evo X

Can't emphasize enough how these piss poor HDR+ gaming numbers make me feel. yeah it's not much of a thing now outside of xbox one s, but moving forward it will be.

I'm with you bro. I was ready to pull the trigger, but the high input lag and non perfected HDR and color standards are putting me off.

I'm in a better place than you with my VT60 as a placeholder tho. :D

I mostly game on PC these days anyway so don't mind waiting for 2017 OLEDs.

vivftp

Was reading on the AVS forums that apparently a Chinese site covering the China launch of the Z9D was claiming up to 3,000 nits peak for them.

... damn I wish I had money :(

Oh well... maybe something to work towards for next year.

Same here. Unless there is a miracle and Sony gave a shit about HDR gaming with the ZD9, I'll be waiting until next year.

flozuki

What TV would you guys recommend for gaming? The KS8000 or the C6? I don't know if I care about HDR gaming right now.
In general you will fare much better with the C6. When you are really not sure is there no possibility to compare it directly at an electronic store (or even at home where you have more time)?

that's cool - but the empirical evidence from calibrators and reviewers show you're losing half your motion resolution if so!

Have you seen in person what exactly you are talking about (no offense)? Within all these years I was also jugglin with numbers I had no idea about. It can drive you nuts and best case scenario is to check out these units for youself with a lot of material. Who in this thread has received a professional calibration for their TV, who is using random settings from reviews and who did his own calibration? Everything can go horribly wrong but when the owner of the unit is fine with it thats good (since he has to watch it). Same with the ms numbers we are discussing now. My old Pana had about a little higher than 50 ms and even some selfclaimed hardcore gamers weren't able to spot this. Numbers are fine and all but your best bet is to check out these reviews, select a bunch of the best sets and test them out. If you really want to see material the way it was meant to be you shouldn't use motion interpolation but - since it is a really subjective matter even a few calibrators prefer to turn it on. There is no definitive decision.

Or you play the waiting game but this will be forever since there will always be something with every TV that comes out in the future. The next candidate will be the Z9D where people will complain about halos, bugs and flashlights, mark my words since it was already possible to these problems at the official event with selected panels and the best possible material to show the strength of these units ;) With the E6/ G6, KS9590 and Panas 900-series we are talking about the best units out there right now and everywhere is space to complain. And this is how it always will be.

Quick update - Amazon return/exchange worked really well. They sent a shipping group that was local, and I got a few calls confirming a 3 hour window with the last one saying it'd be as early as possible. They even helped me rescrew the stand and flip my tv back on my stand which was nice.

And to clarify, this was all for 1 dead pixel on a b6 that's a bit over a month old. No special warranty and I didn't even need to provide a picture which surprised me.

I swear. What should've been a simple purchase to go with this Xbox S has turned into spreadsheets and science.

Question for anyone with a reciever: I'm looking at the Denon s720w. I've never had a reciever before so this is all new. But I could plug my consoles into it and just have the reciever Out to the low latency port on the TV and be OK? As far as tvs in still leaning on either a p65 or ks8000. I think I'm going to disregard HDR gaming for now. Any recommendations?

flozuki

I swear. What should've been a simple purchase to go with this Xbox S has turned into spreadsheets and science.

Question for anyone with a reciever: I'm looking at the Denon s720w. I've never had a reciever before so this is all new. But I could plug my consoles into it and just have the reciever Out to the low latency port on the TV and be OK? As far as tvs in still leaning on either a p65 or ks8000. I think I'm going to disregard HDR gaming for now. Any recommendations?

Samsung for a better OS, Vizio to have both - Dolby Vision (which I prefer to HDR10) and HDR10 - HDR standards if you plan to watch Netflix etc. Both are good TVs, if you are fine with Android TV I would say take the one where you can get a better deal. I am basing my experience with Android TV on Sony and Philips TVs, if it works better with Vizio (saw and used one in action at a friends house for a few hours but it isn't available here officially). Still I would recommend to test them in your own environment because there are always differences regarding Panel quality.

Top Bottom