• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
In general you will fare much better with the C6. When you are really not sure is there no possibility to compare it directly at an electronic store (or even at home where you have more time)?

Have you seen in person what exactly you are talking about (no offense)? Within all these years I was also jugglin with numbers I had no idea about. It can drive you nuts and best case scenario is to check out these units for youself with a lot of material. Who in this thread has received a professional calibration for their TV, who is using random settings from reviews and who did his own calibration? Everything can go horribly wrong but when the owner of the unit is fine with it thats good (since he has to watch it). Same with the ms numbers we are discussing now. My old Pana had about a little higher than 50 ms and even some selfclaimed hardcore gamers weren't able to spot this. Numbers are fine and all but your best bet is to check out these reviews, select a bunch of the best sets and test them out. If you really want to see material the way it was meant to be you shouldn't use motion interpolation but - since it is a really subjective matter even a few calibrators prefer to turn it on. There is no definitive decision.

Or you play the waiting game but this will be forever since there will always be something with every TV that comes out in the future. The next candidate will be the Z9D where people will complain about halos, bugs and flashlights, mark my words since it was already possible to these problems at the official event with selected panels and the best possible material to show the strength of these units ;) With the E6/ G6, KS9590 and Panas 900-series we are talking about the best units out there right now and everywhere is space to complain. And this is how it always will be.

I've done my own calibration and seen those results. I probably wouldn't have checked it, but Chad who does tons of the best pro calibrations for AVSers found that out with a motion resolution test pattern. And as such, on the LG OLEDs, you want mild trumotion on. Slight interpolation artifacts (not noticeable?) for significantly improved motion handling

That's certainly alarming for those who like to watch movies and are sensitive to that. I wonder if it simply accepts 24p signals and displays it at 60hz anyway, or if it's something about the way it processes 24p content.

My 55" B6 displays 24p perfectly as long as RC enabled and TM disabled. No pulldown judder at all. But it seems those with 65" models are having a different experience. Strange that there is variation between sizes.

My 55" B6 displays 24p perfectly as long as RC enabled and TM disabled. No pulldown judder at all. But it seems those with 65" models are having a different experience. Strange that there is variation between sizes.

What exactly does the real cinema setting do? I always turn pretty much all those things off, but that one is so vague that I never know

ukas

I have my 65" E6 TruMotion set to 0,5 and don't have any issues.

Midas

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out the input lag on my old Sony TV. I can't seem to find it anywhere but it's a KDL-40W4000. All I find via Google is like "it's 30 MS better than Samsung F96" or something like that. It's really old and would like to upgrade, but it would be good to know the input lag so I don't get anything worse than I currently have.

Anyone know anything about this old Sony TV?

Getting frustrated. Can someone please help me understand the 2016 Vizio M Series? I am currently looking at this set:

https://www.vizio.com/m60d1.html

All-New 2016 VIZIO SmartCast™ M-Series 60” Class Ultra HD HDR Home Theater Display

4989100_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

The M Series launched with Dolby Vision HDR support, and recently got a firmware update for HDR10.

The part that confuses me has to do with the HDMI ports. Here is the info I have:

Number of ports: 5 (2 side; 3 down)

HDMI Version: Port 1 supports: v2.0; Ports 2-5 supports: v1.4
HDCP Version: Ports 1- 4 supports: v2.2; Port 5 supports: v2.0

HDMI 1 Tech Spec: 600MHz pixel clock rate:
2160p@60fps, 4:4:4, 8-bit
2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 12-bit
2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 12-bit

HDMI 2-4 Tech Specs: 340MHz pixel clock rate:
2160@60fps 4:2:0 8 bit

HDMI 5 Tech Specs: 370MHz pixel clock rate:
2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 8-bit
2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 10-bit
080p@120fps, 4:4:4, 10-bit
1080p@fps120, 4:2:2, 12-bit

My understanding is that HDR REQUIRES HDMI 2.0a. If this set doesn't have that does HDR content give any improvement to the on screen image? What is the point in supporting Dolby Vision and HDR10? Basically I can't figure out what HDR compatibility does for me on this set, and what I am missing out on. Any information from TVGAF would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks.

flozuki

Getting frustrated. Can someone please help me understand the 2016 Vizio M Series? I am currently looking at this set:

https://www.vizio.com/m60d1.html

All-New 2016 VIZIO SmartCast™ M-Series 60” Class Ultra HD HDR Home Theater Display

The M Series launched with Dolby Vision HDR support, and recently got a firmware update for HDR10.

The part that confuses me has to do with the HDMI ports. Here is the info I have:

Number of ports: 5 (2 side; 3 down)

HDMI Version: Port 1 supports: v2.0; Ports 2-5 supports: v1.4
HDCP Version: Ports 1- 4 supports: v2.2; Port 5 supports: v2.0

HDMI 1 Tech Spec: 600MHz pixel clock rate:
2160p@60fps, 4:4:4, 8-bit
2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 12-bit
2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 12-bit

HDMI 2-4 Tech Specs: 340MHz pixel clock rate:
2160@60fps 4:2:0 8 bit

HDMI 5 Tech Specs: 370MHz pixel clock rate:
2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 8-bit
2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 10-bit
080p@120fps, 4:4:4, 10-bit
1080p@fps120, 4:2:2, 12-bit

My understanding is that HDR REQUIRES HDMI 2.0a. If this set doesn't have that does HDR content give any improvement to the on screen image? What is the point in supporting Dolby Vision and HDR10? Basically I can't figure out what HDR compatibility does for me on this set, and what I am missing out on. Any information from TVGAF would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/vizio-2015-m-series-deal-hands-on-review-video/

It seems you have to use port 5. In general manufacturers sometimes don't use the exact HDMI port specification in their product sheets (that was already a "problem" prior to HDMI 2.0a).

Despite getting HDR via the HDMI port you can also use streaming services (I guess Vizio has Amazon and Netflix apps on board --> both support HDR).

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/vizio-2015-m-series-deal-hands-on-review-video/

It seems you have to use port 5. In general manufacturers sometimes don't use the exact HDMI port specification in their product sheets (that was already a "problem" prior to HDMI 2.0a).

Despite getting HDR via the HDMI port you can also use streaming services (I guess Vizio has Amazon and Netflix apps on board --> both support HDR).

Thank you for the helpful information and the link. I hadn't considered HDR support from streaming services as I was only thinking of how well it would function with an Xbox One S or a Neo. This set may do the trick for me as I think the P Series is out of my price range. Thanks again.

Samsung for a better OS, Vizio to have both - Dolby Vision (which I prefer to HDR10) and HDR10 - HDR standards if you plan to watch Netflix etc. Both are good TVs, if you are fine with Android TV I would say take the one where you can get a better deal. I am basing my experience with Android TV on Sony and Philips TVs, if it works better with Vizio (saw and used one in action at a friends house for a few hours but it isn't available here officially). Still I would recommend to test them in your own environment because there are always differences regarding Panel quality.

Thank you. I have to go to Best Buy or brandsmart and see what's going on with Dolby Vision. And Atmos. I never heard of the stuff til now.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I've never used TruMotion on my E6. What does it even do? UK pro calibrators here do not use it either.

Deblur increases the motion resolution of the TV.

I don't know what number he's been using on the E6s (though same principle applies, as seen by that latest review, motion resolution doubles), but on the EF9500 it was De-blur 10, And Dejudder 1 or 2.

Should provide best motion resolution with no SOE.

TunaLover

Have a question about Sony led r555c series. I've read thqt it have really accurate color palette and quick refresh time for a budget TV, superb black levels and so on. I wish to know if this model (or Sony models in general) has an option to disable screen diming when most the screen iw black, as far I know the only way to do this is setting the TV in cinema mode (like most TVs) it's the case for this too? Also I'm a little worried about not being able to access to the white balance mode, can you still access to it under service mode?
Thanks!

I swear. What should've been a simple purchase to go with this Xbox S has turned into spreadsheets and science.

Question for anyone with a reciever: I'm looking at the Denon s720w. I've never had a reciever before so this is all new. But I could plug my consoles into it and just have the reciever Out to the low latency port on the TV and be OK? As far as tvs in still leaning on either a p65 or ks8000. I think I'm going to disregard HDR gaming for now. Any recommendations?

How expensive are your speakers? I would consider stepping up to a Denon capable of doing Audessey MultiXT. You definitely seem to hit diminishing returns on Audessey based on speaker quality, but I went from 2EQ to XT, and I could never go back. Currently on XT32, which, on the other hand, I don't think was worth it compared to XT, personally. Who knows, though. MultiEq could be sufficient for you.

I don't know what number he's been using on the E6s (though same principle applies, as seen by that latest review, motion resolution doubles), but on the EF9500 it was De-blur 10, And Dejudder 1 or 2.

It actually varied a bit more on the EF9500

It was dejudder 1-3
deblur 8-10

depending on preference.

Really need some good material to test it. Like girl on hammock, the pan of the stadium, and a few others.

On my EF I was running 2 and 8, on my E6 I'm running 3 and 9

I have yet to really sit down and dig into the display though as it just arrived. Going to put it through it's paces this weekend and do some measurements. I just got the masicor UHD suite so I will be doing some readings on that also.

Kyoufu

Interesting. Now I'll have to tinker with it. Thanks.

Wheatly

Anyone have input on the Samsung UN50KU6300?

It's on sale at Fry's for $500 right now which is within my price range. Would like the Vizio P series but it doesnt seem like it'll ever go on sale (certainly not down to $500 range).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone have input on the Samsung UN50KU6300?

It's on sale at Fry's for $500 right now which is within my price range. Would like the Vizio P series but it doesnt seem like it'll ever go on sale (certainly not down to $500 range).

It's an edge lit LCD.

It's a fucking steal for the price, but don't expect real HDR or top end IQ.

Depends on what you have now. You aren't gonna really get anything better at that price this year, but you also might not need this tv.

My mind says to tell you just wait.

Pineapple

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good gaming TV in the 48" - 50" range under $700?

It seems like every TV I've looked at in this category has some major deficit - high input lag, poor contrast, too much glare, severe motion blur, etc.

I'm not looking for something that's perfect in every category, just something with decent all around picture, particularly in areas that are vital for gaming (motion/refresh rate, input lag, etc).

Wheatly

It's an edge lit LCD.

It's a fucking steal for the price, but don't expect real HDR or top end IQ.

Depends on what you have now. You aren't gonna really get anything better at that price this year, but you also might not need this tv.

My mind says to tell you just wait.

Ok thanks, I'll wait.

I'm hoping to get something this year in anticipation for the Neo (assuming it comes out this year).

I'm currently using 32'' 720 Samsung TV that I bought about 8 years ago (lol)

holygeesus

Banned
I've never used TruMotion on my E6. What does it even do? UK pro calibrators here do not use it either.

As long as your hardware is set-up to output the correct signal you shouldn't need to use any motion settings on any of the 2016 LG OLEDs. 55" at least. I've heard of problems with the 65" E6.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ok thanks, I'll wait.

I'm hoping to get something this year in anticipation for the Neo (assuming it comes out this year).

I'm currently using 32'' 720 Samsung TV that I bought about 8 years ago (lol)

If you can wait sure, but that TV would be a major upgrade for you.

You aren't a person who already owns a 50" plasma looking for something new. You own a 32" 720p Samsung.

Purexed

Banned
Thank you for the helpful information and the link. I hadn't considered HDR support from streaming services as I was only thinking of how well it would function with an Xbox One S or a Neo. This set may do the trick for me as I think the P Series is out of my price range. Thanks again.

I have the M70-D3. If HDR is your main concern, avoid this set. Only one port (HDMI 1) is a 2.0a port, and the other four are 1.4 ports, meaning they cant support HDR. That same 2.0a port also is the arc port, so if you're connecting to a receiver, you may be SOL if the passthrough doesn't play well with 4K. All streaming of 4K Dolby Vision HDR thru VUDU and Netflix is awesome though.

The input lag from HDR being enabled makes HDR gaming a pipedream on this and virtually any other set out there. I don't think there's a set out there with under 32ms of delay out there.

I'd highly recommend spending a little more cash on a P series, I certainly wish I had.

Wheatly

If you can wait sure, but that TV would be a major upgrade for you.

You aren't a person who already owns a 50" plasma looking for something new. You own a 32" 720p Samsung.

Yeah I know :(. I just don't want to miss out on HDR.

I guess I'm willing to spend up to $700 if needed. I have a few months minimum until the Neo is out.

Kyoufu

I guess I'm willing to spend up to $700 if needed. I have a few months minimum until the Neo is out.

Think about how much 4K content is available right now. Not much, right? Now think about what % of that 4K content is also HDR.

My LG E6 has HDR but out of all the things I've watched since I bought it, only a couple of times did it ever show an HDR image. I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Evo X

I'm thinking it might be smart to wait for the 2017 OLEDs and use the VT60 another year. Should be more content out by then too.

But I'm not gonna lie. Would have bought an E6 in a heartbeat if I hadn't just spent a shit ton of money on my car.

Rsinart

SO the bulb just blew in my old WD-60738 Mits dlp... SO whats a good for around a grand? Wanted the Vizio P65 but can't really spend 2k at this time.

shockdude

Is there a good place to buy used HDTVs?

Otherwise, I'm considering getting a Vizio D48-D0 or D50-D1. Decent 1080p for under $400, 26.5ms input lag on all inputs, purely for local multiplayer gaming and the occasional movie.
My main concern is the viewing angle, which is pretty bad according to rtings.

Finally, do Samsung HDTVs still have the issue where the Game Mode forces a crappy audio EQ setting? I've used a bunch of Samsung HDTVs at friends' places, and every single time the Game Mode would force the "Movie" audio preset and sound really bad.

farmerboy

Keeping my eye on it. Hopefully the input lag will be (relatively) low, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hoping that the big fat and juicy X1 processor with 40%(?) more power will contribute to a fantastic input lag. Sony's just about to release a mass market UHD player (neo) and it would make sense that it would marry perfectly to the Z9.

Getting ready to go out with my dad later today to pick him up a new tv. I think he's pretty much decided on the new M series M65-d0. It's obviously a great set for the price, but I wanted to check here to see if there were any better alternatives we should consider.

He's going to be using it in his living room, so it's nowhere near a light controlled room. He will also probably never actually spend the money on a UHD player, unless the price comes down like crazy in the next few years. As such, 4k really isn't all that big of a deal.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the brightness of the M65. While it's what I would go with for my theater room, I feel like he would rather just have a really bright set.

The local best buy has a like new Open Box M65-d0 for $1,179. Any suggestions for a 65" that would be somewhat near that price? He's not going to go much above that, if at all.

Edit: Kind of considering the 65" Sony X810C now too. Best Buy has one for $35 more and it's apparently a decent amount brighter. Scratch that.

BlizzyAzz

Unfortunately 700$ won't bring you any further, I own a Sony X8005c (US X850c), which is somewhat HDR ready, sure the extended color depth is nice but I only get a glimpse of the supposed contrast with this edge lit set. Your best entry would be probably the Vizio P series:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

Just keep in mind the input lag is over 60ms in HDR mode.

Arthea

I want to replace my old plasma TV as it is kinda too old for gaming already.

I first looked into OLED TVs as it is my dream to have one from the time I've seen OLED screen for the first time, but I can't afford one, not even close, maybe in 10 years.

Then I looked into g-sync monitors instead and was about to buy one, but then I noticed that monitor of my choice doesn't even have hdmi input, and quickly let this notion rest. For what they offer, those monitors are very expensive and not many to choose from.

That left me with heaps and mountains of mid rage TVs, and I felt lost. So many of those, specs info that online shops offer tell me literally nothing I need to know, cuz I'll be mostly using that TV (30-45") for gaming, and watching some netflix occasionally. I don't care about any smart features at all. I care about response times, input lag, quality of the picture and refresh rates. I aslo need hdmi port, or even better two and headphones output, at first I wanted inbuild speakers too, but these seems to be out of fashion these days.
So there it is what I need, a mid price rage good gaming TV. Any suggestions are appreciated. I also thought those curved new TVs are kinda cool, not sure how good they are to use for gaming, so any info on that would be welcome too.

edited: almost forgot most important part, I'll use that TV for PC gaming mostly.

BlizzyAzz

I want to replace my old plasma TV as it is kinda too old for gaming already.

I first looked into OLED TVs as it is my dream to have one from the time I've seen OLED screen for the first time, but I can't afford one, not even close, maybe in 10 years.

Then I looked into g-sync monitors instead and was about to buy one, but then I noticed that monitor of my choice doesn't even have hdmi input, and quickly let this notion rest. For what they offer, those monitors are very expensive and not many to choose from.

That left me with heaps and mountains of mid rage TVs, and I felt lost. So many of those, specs info that online shops offer tell me literally nothing I need to know, cuz I'll be mostly using that TV (30-45") for gaming, and watching some netflix occasionally. I don't care about any smart features at all. I care about response times, input lag, quality of the picture and refresh rates. I aslo need hdmi port, or even better two and headphones output, at first I wanted inbuild speakers too, but these seems to be out of fashion these days.
So there it is what I need, a mid price rage good gaming TV. Any suggestions are appreciated. I also thought those curved new TVs are kinda cool, not sure how good they are to use for gaming, so any info on that would be welcome too.

edited: almost forgot most important part, I'll use that TV for PC gaming mostly.

Can you be a bit more specific? Maybe a monitor is still a better option for you. Nearly all gsync enabled monitors have hdmi inputs.

However check this:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

Caayn

4k is kinda important with OLED because of the smaller pixels. Gets rid of the screen door effect.
This is something to keep in mind. To me the smaller pixels killed a 1080p resolution on a 55'' screen and pushed me towards the 4K OLED.

Gawaian you should visit a store and see for yourself if you notice it or not and if you're willing to live with it.

Arthea

Can you be a bit more specific? Maybe a monitor is still a better option for you. Nearly all gsync enabled monitors have hdmi inputs.

However check this:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

I live in EU part where prices on hardware are insane, g-sync monitors are out of the question, they are too expensive.

I checked that article, most of TVs mentioned there aren't even available here or too expensive again, and most available aren't in those tables of specs.
By mid price range I mean about 400€, I could go higher if it's really worth it, but not by much, while cheapest g-synch monitor with hdmi is almost 900€ and 27" only.

as for being more specific, 4K would be nice, reasonably low input lag (I don't expect miracles), as I said I'm looking for 30-45", 120 Hz would be nice too, don't care about any smart features, need HDMI and earphones output.

edited; for example SAMSUNG JU6072UXXH has a small discount now, and kinda in range of my price limits. Is it good enough for my needs?

TLZ

Banned
I live in EU part where prices on hardware are insane, g-sync monitors are out of the question, they are too expensive.

I checked that article, most of TVs mentioned there aren't even available here or too expensive again, and most available aren't in those tables of specs.
By mid price range I mean about 400€, I could go higher if it's really worth it, but not by much, while cheapest g-synch monitor with hdmi is almost 900€ and 27" only.

as for being more specific, 4K would be nice, reasonably low input lag (I don't expect miracles), as I said I'm looking for 30-45", 120 Hz would be nice too, don't care about any smart features, need HDMI and earphones output.

edited; for example SAMSUNG JU6072UXXH has a small discount now, and kinda in range of my price limits. Is it good enough for my needs?

How about this one?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EKZOHAO/

Looks like it suits your needs?

KU6300 is the 6000 in pal regions.

TLZ

Banned
looks nice, not available here for some reason.
but JU6072UXXH seems to be the same or similar TV, isn't it?
Those Samsung model numbers are kinda confusing.

Yea they are confusing and it doesn't help these numbers change based on region too :/

Not sure if they're the same really. Maybe a bit of googling would clear that up.

Also check if they have the exact same tech specs.

Arthea

Yea they are confusing and it doesn't help these numbers change based on region too :/

Not sure if they're the same really. Maybe a bit of googling would clear that up.

Also check if they have the exact same tech specs.

yeah, I checked both, found some reviews, they seem to be the same TV with slightly different design, but both doesn't support 1080p @ 120Hz
Not that it is absolutely necessary, but maybe I'll research some more.
Assuming for now that my best bet is Samsung.

pswii60

I'm an extremely happy B6 owner, but I'm still intrigued by Sony's upcoming ZD9 (grass is always greener for me). I really don't like LCDs - not even Panasonic's DX902 which I had for a short time before my B6 (extremely narrow viewing angles and motion smearing). But I really, really like Sony's processing and it seems their ZD9 will be the closest we'll ever see to an OLED from them in the foreseeable future. But unfortunately there is no 55" model so it won't be replacing my B6 regardless of how well it stacks up against it.

TLZ

Banned
I'm an extremely happy B6 owner, but I'm still intrigued by Sony's upcoming ZD9 (grass is always greener for me). I really don't like LCDs - not even Panasonic's DX902 which I had for a short time before my B6 (extremely narrow viewing angles and motion smearing). But I really, really like Sony's processing and it seems their ZD9 will be the closest we'll ever see to an OLED from them in the foreseeable future. But unfortunately there is no 55" model so it won't be replacing my B6 regardless of how well it stacks up against it.

I'm still sticking to my 7 year old Plasma.

BlizzyAzz

yeah, I checked both, found some reviews, they seem to be the same TV with slightly different design, but both doesn't support 1080p @ 120Hz
Not that it is absolutely necessary, but maybe I'll research some more.
Assuming for now that my best bet is Samsung.

You won't find a TV/Monitor for 400-500 Euros that can display 120Hz. 60Hz 4K is possible.

Cheapest monitor 40" 4K is the iiyama Prolite X4071UHSU-B1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gynA4V_8j6s

As for the Samsungs take a look at this thread:
https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/

Top Bottom