• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Caayn

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling digital audio in the nvidia control panel? I have a 980ti and a b6, and I think this helped me.

Edit: I have to turn this off with every driver update btw
Mmhh just tested it. While it initially looked gone, it reappeared once I rebooted the TV. So that doesn't seem to be the solution.

I'm getting really annoyed with this.
They're made for maximum bandwidth over long runs. The ends aren't universal and reversible like passive cables, one end is made to go into the display, the other the source.
Just read more about this and saw that they're recognized and recommended by the HDMI organisation. The only downside is that those cables are a bit pricy :(

OLED has restored my love of horror games. Holy shit.

You can actually play in a completely pitch black room now without any glow from the TV. I immediately felt those same feelings I used to get back playing Silent Hill 2 on a CRT (which could do better black than any flat panel until OLED). That sense of wandering into complete darkness with only the faintest of shadow...I love that feeling.
Welcome to the club :)

Mmhh just tested it. While it initially looked gone, it reappeared once I rebooted the TV. So that doesn't seem to be the solution.

I'm getting really annoyed with this.
Just read more about this and saw that they're recognized and recommended by the HDMI organisation. The only downside is that those cables are a bit pricy :(

Welcome to the club :)

Hm, that is weird. I usually get a flash or something when turning the tv on but nothing after. I had this exact problem compounded with digital noise, where something was causing small pixel flashing, back when I first owned the tv. The second panel I got delivered never seemed to have the issues out of the box.

I'm away from my house this week, but if no solution crops up by the time I get back, I can try and see what else I did to solve the issue. Pretty sure I went through 3 HDMI cords just to be sure - not sure about your tv but the port on the b6 is at a terrible angle for people who like to zip tie cords.

Oh and on horror games oled: we were mid play thru of Alien: Isolation when I switched TVs from an old led. My god did that make a difference. Suddenly the ship was dark instead of washed out.

Caayn

Hm, that is weird. I usually get a flash or something when turning the tv on but nothing after. I had this exact problem compounded with digital noise, where something was causing small pixel flashing, back when I first owned the tv. The second panel I got delivered never seemed to have the issues out of the box.

I'm away from my house this week, but if no solution crops up by the time I get back, I can try and see what else I did to solve the issue. Pretty sure I went through 3 HDMI cords just to be sure - not sure about your tv but the port on the b6 is at a terrible angle for people who like to zip tie cords.
How long is the HDMI cable that you're using? I'm currently seriously considering to buy an active HDMI cable just to be done with it.

Caayn

Super short - 6ft cables, just an Amazon basic. I have the luxury of a PC right next to the tv.
That's the thing. I checked with a short cable and I didn't have problems at all with that. It's only when I use longer cables (10m+) that I get issues.

I don't want my PC next to my TV ;)

BruceCLea

Banned

So left a comment on his review saying nobody else has gotten these input lag stats and the reviewer Katzmaier responded. This is what he said...

"I rechecked the B6 this morning and Game mode showed 37.5. That's about 10ms higher than my original measurement. I can't explain the discrepancy. I have set a calendar reminder to check again every morning and average the result after a week."

Most of his other input lag measurements are accurate, coming in line with other reviewers. However his Sony 930D input lag is low too. Weird, but I'd love to have the B6's input lag be lower. Any owners of the TV really notice it?

madjackal

So left a comment on his review saying nobody else has gotten these input lag stats and the reviewer Katzmaier responded. This is what he said...

"I rechecked the B6 this morning and Game mode showed 37.5. That's about 10ms higher than my original measurement. I can't explain the discrepancy. I have set a calendar reminder to check again every morning and average the result after a week."

Most of his other input lag measurements are accurate, coming in line with other reviewers. However his Sony 930D input lag is low too. Weird, but I'd love to have the B6's input lag be lower. Any owners of the TV really notice it?

Does the game mode on the B6 support HDR?

Man, this is the main thing holding me back. Well that and the price. I may have to wait for Black Friday or even Super Bowl sales before I make the leap. Seeing the KS8000 next to the B6 made the B6 look like a no brainer though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After dialing in settings on the B6, I'm ready to suggest that these OLED displays are truly the best looking screens on the market. It makes my PC monitor look dull and washed out (BenQ BL3200PT). This is the real deal and I'm not missing the Kuro at all (well, motion resolution is quite as good but no yellow trails so it's a trade-off). It does take some effort to get the settings right. The wrong settings just ruin the image.

LG OLEDs don't support HDR or Bluetooth when using Game picture settings.

Thankfully the input lag outside of Game is still pretty good so it doesn't even matter.
Yep, just tested this and input latency is very reasonable in non-game modes (not necessarily every mode, though). I can say that it feels as quick or quicker than the Kuro I was using for eight years. Could still be faster but it passed the Super Mario World test so it's all good.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah, I did a basic 2 point calibration on my E6 finally (Xbox One S + Harmony remote + wiring changes... finally was time) - and it still blows me away.

Been watching Stranger Things on Netflix in 4K... the color, the contrast. The scenes when the character is the only thing lit up in a completely black field (reflecting on and kicking the water)... are just absolutely stunning.

It's the best TV I've ever seen.

You really want to show it off - check out the IMAX sequences from Star Trek Into Darkness UHD 4K disc. Absolutely glorious 4k reference. Really shows the difference too between 2k upscaled (parts of the film) and 4k mastered content (the IMAX sequences)

Afrikan

So the only (main) difference between the B6 and E6 is 3D? I thought there was some other very small picture related reasons.

but 3D on these OLED screens is suppose to show 3D movies at their finest right?

there is a $1000 difference between the B6 and the E6....

not that I'm going to make a decision soon, but I've had my eye on the E6 for a long time. I'm wondering if I should look into the B6 plus some 3D converter out there.

Eventually I'll have big screen Oled. :D

I, just for the fuck of it, ordered a 10' Oled tablet (Dell) last night, because they are discontinued now. I have the 8" one.

So the only (main) difference between the B6 and E6 is 3D? I thought there was some other very small picture related reasons.

but 3D on these OLED screens is suppose to show 3D movies at their finest right?

not that I'm going to make a decision soon, but I've had my eye on the E6 for a long time. I'm wondering if I should look into the B6 plus some 3D converter out there.

I, just for the fuck of it, ordered a 10' Oled tablet (Dell) last night, because they are discontinued now. I have the 8" one.

3D, lower lag.

The B6 is a bit brighter because it's missing the polarizer for 3D.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

The 3D on the OLEDs is killer. Absolutely killer. Like so good that if 3D had always been like this on home displays it actually might be still really relevant.

Makes me wish I had bought more of the animated movies wth 3D discs back in the day

If you don't mind the curve, I think the C6 has the 3D

yeah, I did a basic 2 point calibration on my E6 finally (Xbox One S + Harmony remote + wiring changes... finally was time) - and it still blows me away.

Been watching Stranger Things on Netflix in 4K... the color, the contrast. The scenes when the character is the only thing lit up in a completely black field (reflecting on and kicking the water)... are just absolutely stunning.

You really want to show it off - check out the IMAX sequences from Star Trek Into Darkness UHD 4K disc. Absolutely glorious 4k reference. Really shows the difference too between 2k upscaled (parts of the film) and 4k mastered content (the IMAX sequences)

If you have Calman 5 2016 with the HDR workflow you should check out Masciola's HDR suite. Really helps with HDR adjustments. I've been using it and he added the 20pt LG OLED steps as well they listed in their whitepaper. If you have calibration equipment with HDR workflow it's well worth it.

dark10x

The 3D on the OLEDs is killer. Absolutely killer. Like so good that if 3D had always been like this on home displays it actually might be still really relevant.

Makes me wish I had bought more of the animated movies wth 3D discs back in the day

If you don't mind the curve, I think the C6 has the 3D
It's true, the 3D is quite good, but I just don't have the cash for it (since I'm stuck with awful European pricing where the B6 costs about the same as an E6 in the States).

I really don't like a curved screen otherwise I may have tried the C6.

If 3D was still a big deal, I may have waited but it feels like 3D content just sorta died off as of late. It sounds like 3D might even be removed from next year's models entirely. We'll see.

Smokey

It's true, the 3D is quite good, but I just don't have the cash for it (since I'm stuck with awful European pricing where the B6 costs about the same as an E6 in the States).

I really don't like a curved screen otherwise I may have tried the C6.

If 3D was still a big deal, I may have waited but it feels like 3D content just sorta died off as of late. It sounds like 3D might even be removed from next year's models entirely. We'll see.

3D came too early, especially for gaming. On a proper PC with the power to push it, it's pretty great. Same with movies, the tech just wasn't there yet. Industry was eager to find a new cash cow tho.

Kyoufu

That scene in episode 6 is made for OLED. So good.

Neo needs to hurry up so I can start investing in 4K Blu Ray discs.

dark10x

I'm running into issues with a 10ft cable as well when trying to use 4:4:4 mode - only 4:2:0 operates without artefacts. Seems like I need a better cable (active maybe?)

Composer

So I bought the Vizio P Series 50in model last Saturday. I'm debating if I should keep it or not. I've a few issues with it, mainly that it's just so damn dark and it doesn't really have amazing colors, except on Dolby Vision.

I'm thinking about going to Best Buy and getting the KS8000. For those who own it, how is gaming performance on that screen? Does the PQ look good? How is motion blurring? I've run into annoying looking motion blur on the Vizio.

TBH, the Vizio P series is a great set. I just had really high expectations coming in. If it was just brighter/more vibrant, I'd be happy. But its not. I'll be sad to lose Google Cast, that was really helpful and Dolby Vision.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I bought the Vizio P Series 50in model last Saturday. I'm debating if I should keep it or not. I've a few issues with it, mainly that it's just so damn dark and it doesn't really have amazing colors, except on Dolby Vision.

I'm thinking about going to Best Buy and getting the KS8000. For those who own it, how is gaming performance on that screen? Does the PQ look good? How is motion blurring? I've run into annoying looking motion blur on the Vizio.

TBH, the Vizio P series is a great set. I just had really high expectations coming in. If it was just brighter/more vibrant, I'd be happy. But its not. I'll be sad to lose Google Cast, that was really helpful and Dolby Vision.

What are your calibration settings and your room lighting?

I find a lot of times people's room setups dictate a slightly different mix of settings than recommended online.

Composer

What are your calibration settings and your room lighting?

I find a lot of times people's room setups dictate a slightly different mix of settings than recommended online.

I'm using the Game mode for gaming, with backlighting bumped around 70-80. Active LED off and Game Low Latency On. Clear Action Off. Its has really bad ghosting if Clear Action On.

For TV stuff, I created my own based off of the standard setting. Again, it just mostly ups the backlighting, with Active LED on, and Reduce Judder at 1 or 2.

My room is bright in day, 3 windows to one side of the wall basically. And I've got a floor lamp on during the night.

So what's the consensus on input lag with the B6? I understand HDR doesn't work in game mode, so I'm wanting to know the following:

1) What's the input lag while not in game mode and without HDR turned on?

2) What's the input lag while not in game mode and with HDR turned on?

3) What's the input lag while in game mode and obviously without HDR turned on?

dark10x

Kinda is good. The Euro prices are insane. And they have yet to have any discounts here, ever. Which is why I might as well wait for next years models.
Well, in my case, I got a really good price from a nearby German shop which had a sale. I basically saved about 1000 Euro on it. They only had a small handful of units available at this price and they sold super fast.

1) What's the input lag while not in game mode and without HDR turned on?
From what I've tested and read, input lag in game mode (~43ms) is very similar in some of the other modes including ISF. I'm using ISF mode right now and it's faster than the Kuro was. Again, I don't have hard numbers, but using something like MegaMan 3 on the NES (Analogue NT at 1080p), the control is suitably responsive and doesn't feel "weighty" or sluggish.

The ISF mode is a good balance, I feel, as it seems to be as fast as game mode (or very close to it) but with more options. I'm actually using the deblur function at a setting of 5 which improves motion resolution to ~600 lines versus 300 lines. In game mode, the image blurs in motion more than I'd like while using deblur produces results about the same as the Kuro plasma but without yellow trails. Since it's sample and hold, it's not as fast as it could be, but it's good enough with the right settings.

2) What's the input lag while not in game mode and with HDR turned on?
Don't have interactive HDR content and haven't tested. No idea.

3) What's the input lag while in game mode and obviously without HDR turned on?
Game mode appears to be somewhat identical to the ISF mode in terms of input latency.

Not scientific evidence in the least but, hey.

It's not blazing fast, but it's faster than the Kuro I was using and more than adequate for gaming...but it's not super low like some other displays either.

Kyoufu

So LG are announcing this on September 15:

lgwallperoledkorea-1l.jpg

Flexible OLED finally hitting consumer level.

Well, in my case, I got a really good price from a nearby German shop which had a sale. I basically saved about 1000 Euro on it. They only had a small handful of units available at this price and they sold super fast.

From what I've tested and read, input lag in game mode (~43ms) is very similar in some of the other modes including ISF. I'm using ISF mode right now and it's faster than the Kuro was. Again, I don't have hard numbers, but using something like MegaMan 3 on the NES (Analogue NT at 1080p), the control is suitably responsive and doesn't feel "weighty" or sluggish.

The ISF mode is a good balance, I feel, as it seems to be as fast as game mode (or very close to it) but with more options. I'm actually using the deblur function at a setting of 5 which improves motion resolution to ~600 lines versus 300 lines. In game mode, the image blurs in motion more than I'd like while using deblur produces results about the same as the Kuro plasma but without yellow trails. Since it's sample and hold, it's not as fast as it could be, but it's good enough with the right settings.

Don't have interactive HDR content and haven't tested. No idea.

Game mode appears to be somewhat identical to the ISF mode in terms of input latency.

Not scientific evidence in the least but, hey.

It's not blazing fast, but it's faster than the Kuro I was using and more than adequate for gaming...but it's not super low like some other displays either.

Thanks for the input! (Cheesy pun, I'm sorry) The picture on the set is outstanding, but I'm just worried about input lag. This makes me feel better about it though. Pretty sure I won't be able to resist a Black Friday sale on the B6.

Kyoufu

That's neat, but why does anyone need a flexible TV?

Easy to setup, move etc.

Imagine moving house and carrying your TV with one hand. Or if someone else in the household wants to use the TV in a different room for a bit, they can easily do it. If this takes off and makes it to 8K standards then I'll buy one for sure.

finalflame

Easy to setup, move etc.

Imagine moving house and carrying your TV with one hand. Or if someone else in the household wants to use the TV in a different room for a bit, they can easily do it. If this takes off and makes it to 8K standards then I'll buy one for sure.

Isn't it also magnetic? Easy to apply to a wall.

Yah, those are cool perks. Can't wait to see what a consumer product with this tech looks like.

insanexer

Does anyone know about the Sony 65X810C got an HDR firmware update? I am considering buying it. I currently have the LG 65UH6150 and might take it back to Costco.

55"

My room isn't huge but, really, the 65" is quite expensive in Europe so 55" kinda works.

It sure is.
Especially depressing if you're in Germany and see the british online prices.

So LG are announcing this on September 15:

Flexible OLED finally hitting consumer level.

All this talk about the wallpaper signature OLED, I'm looking forward to finally see what the external connection box looks like.

Caayn

Well I just got an active HDMI cable and tested it but it doesn't work. I give up.

4K@60Hz with 4:4:4 over 10m+ is apparently impossible.

Kyoufu

Well I just got an active HDMI cable and tested it but it doesn't work. I give up.

4K@60Hz with 4:4:4 over 10m+ is apparently impossible.

Dumb questions but is your HDMI input icon labeled as PC? And does your graphics card support 4K@60hz over HDMI?

Caayn

Dumb questions but is your HDMI input icon labeled as PC? And does your graphics card support 4K@60hz over HDMI?
As mentioned earlier in the thread. I've got zero issues when I use a short HDMI cable, like the one that comes with the XB1s for example.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just got a new apartment with a couple roommates and we were looking for a decent deal on a set. Are any of the ones on sale at BB right now any good? We watch movies, sports, and play games. I'm hoping for relatively low input lag but I just don't know which of these features sale sets are any good.

I just got a new apartment with a couple roommates and we were looking for a decent deal on a set. Are any of the ones on sale at BB right now any good? We watch movies, sports, and play games. I'm hoping for relatively low input lag but I just don't know which of these features sale sets are any good.

The KS8000 60" is on sale for $1500, $500 off regular price. I was about to get it until I saw the B6. Now I'm stuck in a stage of paralysis.

Top Bottom