• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I ended up with a B6 - I just cannot afford the E6 living in Europe right now. My wife was not going to go for it.

I tested the B6 next to an E6 and, honestly, they looked basically identical but I understand some of its other advantages. I don't mind losing 3D, for instance, as I just don't care.

Rodin

I ended up with a B6 - I just cannot afford the E6 living in Europe right now. My wife was not going to go for it.

I tested the B6 next to an E6 and, honestly, they looked basically identical but I understand some of its other advantages. I don't mind losing 3D, for instance, as I just don't care.

The only "major" difference is the input lag, which is quite a bit higher (32ms on the E6 vs ~44 on the B6, which should still be good enough for most games though). Why not the C6? Should be the same price as the B6, but the input lag is the same as the E6. If it's for the curve, you can barely notice it when it's on. I loved the curved screen on my EG910V.

Kyoufu

Congrats, you've bought a fantastic television. The differences between the 2016 OLEDs are negligible, you can't go wrong with any of them.

I think you'll love the B6 - I did have a dead pixel recently and got it replaced by Amazon. It has me tempted to throw on the 4 or 5 year warranty.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
E6 has lower input lag and 3D support. I think they are identical otherwise.

I think the E6 has less input lag, 3D, different design, two remotes, speaker and I think I heard the OS runs a little bit better (can't confirm about the OS and just tell you that Web OS in general is a wonderful OS that runs flawless and fast on E6).

E6 has 3D.
Thanks a lot guys. Lower input lag is nice and I don't care about 3D at all. I'll see if I can get a better price for the E6 from a local dealer otherwise B6 will have to do. That 54ms input lag stings though.

dark10x

The only "major" difference is the input lag, which is quite a bit higher (32ms on the E6 vs ~44 on the B6, which should still be good enough for most games though). Why not the C6? Should be the same price as the B6, but the input lag is the same as the E6. If it's for the curve, you can barely notice it when it's on. I loved the curved screen on my EG910V.
I think the input lag isn't an issue for me. The Kuro I use gets around 45ms using Game Mode...but I never use Game Mode there as it produces a dim image. So I'm running with more.

If I can get 44ms without ruining picture quality, that's already an improvement.

As for the C6, well, I'll be honest...I really just didn't want a curved screen. I've used one for a while and it just doesn't work for me. I don't hate them, per se, and would have been happy with the C6 as well but...I got a good deal on the B6.

x3sphere

I find around 50ms is fine. I've been doing all my gaming on the C6 with input renamed to PC and in ISF dark mode with no issues. So I expect the ~50ms in HDR mode won't be an issue either.

finalflame

Kyoufu

I find around 50ms is fine. I've been doing all my gaming on the C6 with input renamed to PC and in ISF dark mode with no issues. So I expect the ~50ms in HDR mode won't be an issue either.

I've been doing all my gaming on ISF as well. It looks much better than Game mode.

I really should calibrate it though.

We are in the process of creating a great room and decided on the KS8000. I went with the 55" but we are bumping up to the 60". We thought about going with OLED but there are other projects around the house I want to do and I just sold my Focus ST and am planning on getting a new Golf R so something had to give.

So far I love the KS8000. The picture is amazing and I was blown away when I tried Deadpool in UHD on the One S. It was like when I tried my first BD in 1080P at 24hz. Just amazing. I still have to calibrate it too. One I get the new carpet and furniture installed I'll do the surround sound

RuGalz

I'm having a heck of hard time trying to decide between Vizio P55 vs 55" KS8000 as I can find both with similar prices. Here's kind of my pros and cons list. I'm leaning towards KS8000 but I was wondering if anyone has any comments? I mostly watch TV Shows and play games (console and pc). I don't watch in very dark room.

Vizio P55 -

Pros: local dimming, hdr10 + dolby vision, better off angle viewing due to IPS panel for 55" (good for viewing from the kitchen while doing dishes), built in google-cast (kind of nice to have but not super important)

Cons: display isn't very bright, input lag is worse with HDR on,

55KS8000 -

Pros: much brighter display, quantum dot tech(not sure how big of difference it really makes), much lower input lag when HDR is on, physically much more sleeker

Cons: only supports HDR10, worse viewing angle, edge lit (I currently have an 8 years old Samsung edge lit panel so this isn't really worse than what I have)

Xun

I really don't see 4K Blu-ray lasting long at all and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if standard Blu-ray outlasts it.

In general I feel the only physical media that will survive in the long term will likely be vinyl records.

I confess that I don't use game mode on my KS8000. I much prefer the picture in movie mode and don't play any games where lag would be an issue, so I've got custom settings for motion. No complaints but understandable if that's a deal breaker for some.

Never had a Panasonic plasma, but I am very impressed with the blacks on mine. For value, I think it compares very favorable to OLED given the price difference. I'm not going to commit forum suicide by telling anyone what to buy - but I very much enjoy mine and was happy with the price I paid relative to other models on the market.
Our old Panasonic wasn't bad at all, but in general I feel the blacks are better on the Samsung (despite being edge lit).

I've still got to calibrate it when I get a chance...

I really don't see 4K Blu-ray lasting long at all and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if standard Blu-ray outlasts it.

In general I feel the only physical media that will survive in the long term will likely be vinyl records.

Our old Panasonic wasn't bad at all, but in general I feel the blacks are better on the Samsung (despite being edge lit).

I've still got to calibrate it when I get a chance...

What a stupid post

4K content is selling well

Is there any general picture quality spectrum of comparing years to years?

I have a Panasonic 50" V10. It was I think the last or 2nd to last year where they had the rising black level problem, some circa 2010. I'm wondering how it compares to sets now and if it'd be worth it for me to upgrade or not.

I purchased a home and I have 2 rooms I'd like to put a TV. One in the basement and one upstairs. I'm thinking of possibly getting a 65" in the basement or a projector but just wonder how they would compare. Maybe wait a year to get another TV?

Proof? Because I honestly don't see it having the same impact Blu-ray had.

Physical media is unfortunately dying whether or not you want to admit it.

Tales from your ass

A total of 45 Ultra HD titles have been released on Blu-ray Disc since March — and according to Home Media Magazine market research, consumers bought more than 228,000 discs as of June 24.

By comparison, Blu-ray Disc, launched in June 2006, moved just 57,000 units in the comparable time frame.

BruceCLea

Banned
The HDR input lag in the Samsung KS8000 sounds too good to be true. Any body with that set tested it? I know we don't have HDR games yet but you can set the TV to HDR and try some games.

ViciousDS

Banned
The HDR input lag in the Samsung KS8000 sounds too good to be true. Any body with that set tested it? I know we don't have HDR games yet but you can set the TV to HDR and try some games.

displaylag also has it sitting at 20ms.....it seems to be legit

seems like most reviews stating really low input lag in game mode for the 8000. Checked about 5-6 sites all stating the same thing. Only one stated a 40ms response and they didn't use the same method on the 8000 as they did the 9000.....which doesn't make any sense.

They also moved game mode under the picture settings.....seems like Samsung has taken itself seriously in getting that market locked. They know whos going to upgrade first. Enthusiasts and gamers

BruceCLea

Banned

seems like most reviews stating really low input lag in game mode for the 8000. Checked about 5-6 sites all stating the same thing. Only one stated a 40ms response and they didn't use the same method on the 8000 as they did the 9000.....which doesn't make any sense.

They also moved game mode under the picture settings.....seems like Samsung has taken itself seriously in getting that market locked. They know whos going to upgrade first. Enthusiasts and gamers
That's fucking awesome. I was on the fence about this TV and now they have my money. Hate to be the cynic!

Xun

Tales from your ass
Tales from my arse? That article doesn't negate anything I said at all. It's pure PR spin.

Only time will tell of course, but I predict UHD Blu-ray will likely be a lot more niche than Blu-ray ever was and that's the point I'm making.

Streaming/downloads are unfortunately where the industry is heading, much like the games and music industry. It's for that reason I'm holding out on buying any 4K content just yet.

There's no need to rush into a format that has yet to prove itself. If in a couple of years things are booming for UHD Blu-ray, sure, but now? No chance.

Caayn

Guys I need some help.

I just upgraded my PC to GTX 1070. So I connected it to my TV (LG 55EG920v EU version of the LG EG9200, I used a 15m HDMI high speed cat 2 HDMI cable for this. However when I use 3840*2160@60Hz with 4:4:4 and 8bpc I get random black flickering. Only when using 4:2:0 do I get a stable image.

For a small test I moved my PC and used a shorter HDMI cable, the one that comes with the XB1S. With that cable I got a stable image at 3840*2160@60Hz with 4:4:4 and 8bpc.

So I went out and bought a new 12.5m HDMI cable. However with this new cable I can't get any picture at all when I use 3840*2160@60Hz with a higher chroma subsampling than 4:2:0.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks or things to help me out here?

finalflame

Guys I need some help.

I just upgraded my PC to GTX 1070. So I connected it to my TV (LG 55EG920v EU version of the LG EG9200, I used a 15m HDMI high speed cat 2 HDMI cable for this. However when I use 3840*2160@60Hz with 4:4:4 and 8bpc I get random black flickering. Only when using 4:2:0 do I get a stable image.

For a small test I moved my PC and used a shorter HDMI cable, the one that comes with the XB1S. With that cable I got a stable image at 3840*2160@60Hz with 4:4:4 and 8bpc.

So I went out and bought a new 12.5m HDMI cable. However with this new cable I can't get any picture at all when I use 3840*2160@60Hz with a higher chroma subsampling than 4:2:0.

Happens to me on my GTX 1080/KS8000 with a 20ft HDMI cable @ 4K/60 4:4:4. I just reconnect the HDMI cable on my SmartConnect box and it usually goes away. Might take a couple of tries. No idea why it happens.

Haint

Guys I need some help.

You're gonna need an active 18Gbps certified cable for 4k/60/444 with cables that long. This seems to fit the bill spec-ually, but I have no personal experience with it.

Caayn

Happens to me on my GTX 1080/KS8000 with a 20ft HDMI cable @ 4K/60 4:4:4. I just reconnect the HDMI cable on my SmartConnect box and it usually goes away. Might take a couple of tries. No idea why it happens.
That's a no-go for me. Seems weird though.

Edit: When I use this trick with my old 15m HDMI cable the flickering disappears. But you need to do this every time that you power up the TV. (Turning the TV on and off also works for me.) Could there be something wrong with Nvidia's driver for the GTX 10XX series? As you have the same problem.
You're gonna need an active 18Gbps certified cable for 4k/60/444 with cables that long. This seems to fit the bill spec-ually, but I have no personal experience with it.
Thanks will look into those, never heard of active HDMI cables before.

Haint

They're made for maximum bandwidth over long runs. The ends aren't universal and reversible like passive cables, one end is made to go into the display, the other the source.

dark10x

OLED has restored my love of horror games. Holy shit.

You can actually play in a completely pitch black room now without any glow from the TV. I immediately felt those same feelings I used to get back playing Silent Hill 2 on a CRT (which could do better black than any flat panel until OLED). That sense of wandering into complete darkness with only the faintest of shadow...I love that feeling.

dsk1210

OLED has restored my love of horror games. Holy shit.

You can actually play in a completely pitch black room now without any glow from the TV. I immediately felt those same feelings I used to get back playing Silent Hill 2 on a CRT (which could do better black than any flat panel until OLED). That sense of wandering into complete darkness with only the faintest of shadow...I love that feeling.

Dark games are so immersive on OLED.

Dark Souls, Alien Isolation and inside are amazing.

My son smashed my OLED (930v) with the htc vive controller but I am picking up a 4k hdr OLED as a replacement. Looking forward to checking out some 4k games and TV.

x3sphere

CNET's review on the B6 OLED: http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oledb6p-series/

THE GOOD With the exception of even more-expensive 2016 OLED TVs, the LG B6 outperforms every other TV we've tested. It evinced perfect black levels, wide viewing angles, accurate color and a brighter picture than last year. It's compatible with both types of HDR TV shows and movies, Dolby Vision and HDR10. Its striking design features a super-slim panel.

THE BAD Expensive.

THE BOTTOM LINE LG's high-end 2016 OLED TVs deliver the best picture quality of any TV we've ever reviewed, and the B6 is the best value of the bunch.

Tales from my arse? That article doesn't negate anything I said at all. It's pure PR spin.

Only time will tell of course, but I predict UHD Blu-ray will likely be a lot more niche than Blu-ray ever was and that's the point I'm making.

Streaming/downloads are unfortunately where the industry is heading, much like the games and music industry. It's for that reason I'm holding out on buying any 4K content just yet.

There's no need to rush into a format that has yet to prove itself. If in a couple of years things are booming for UHD Blu-ray, sure, but now? No chance.

Sales numbers are just PR spin ? Like what ? Lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

finalflame

Brah. UHD BR is replacing regular BR as the de-facto format in the next few years. Physical media for movies ain't going away. Someone proves objective facts that show positive sales numbers and you call it PR spin.

I wish I had the patience to wait two years to say "we told you so", but people like you always think you know better despite hard evidence otherwise, so, gg.

kevm3

Just got a Sony X930D 55" this week for my PS4. Was thinking to get the Samsungs KS series, but after comparing them in online and in person (with all the same settings), I went with the Sony X930D because the color accuracy is just better on the Sony.

That's pretty much why I went with the Sony.

Xun

Sales numbers are just PR spin ? Like what ? Lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Brah. UHD BR is replacing regular BR as the de-facto format in the next few years. Physical media for movies ain't going away. Someone proves objective facts that show positive sales numbers and you call it PR spin.

I wish I had the patience to wait two years to say "we told you so", but people like you always think you know better despite hard evidence otherwise, so, gg.
I referred to it as PR spin since it's very easy to make something sound more positive than it actually is. The article states that UHD Blu-ray outsold Blu-ray in June 2016 compared to Blu-ray in June 2006, but what does that honestly tell us? Pricing between the cheapest Blu-ray player back then was about $1000 compared to around $400 for a UHD player today. It's also worth noting people were uncertain at the time due to HD-DVD being a rival format. Once the format won (largely thanks to the PS3), people took notice.

Physical media will never truly die out (look at vinyl), but it'll unfortunately be for certain enthusiasts who want something physical, much like how I am when it comes to music.

That's a no-go for me. Seems weird though.

Edit: When I use this trick with my old 15m HDMI cable the flickering disappears. But you need to do this every time that you power up the TV. (Turning the TV on and off also works for me.) Could there be something wrong with Nvidia's driver for the GTX 10XX series? As you have the same problem.

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling digital audio in the nvidia control panel? I have a 980ti and a b6, and I think this helped me.

Edit: I have to turn this off with every driver update btw

mr stroke

I referred to it as PR spin since it's very easy to make something sound more positive than it actually is. The article states that UHD Blu-ray outsold Blu-ray in June 2016 compared to Blu-ray in June 2006, but what does that honestly tell us? Pricing between the cheapest Blu-ray player back then was about $1000 compared to around $400 for a UHD player today. It's also worth noting people were uncertain at the time due to HD-DVD being a rival format. Once the format won (largely thanks to the PS3), people took notice.

Physical media will never truly die out (look at vinyl), but it'll unfortunately be for certain enthusiasts who want something physical, much like how I am when it comes to music.

+1

Physical media is dying. But physical will always be around for the enthusiast.
But even as an enthusiast myself I can tell you as soon as we can download uncompressed 4k movies ill be ditching my Samsung 4k Blu Ray player

DonShula

So this has got me curious - I went back a few posts and see that an HDR signal was tested in game mode. Fair and good, but... what game even supports HDR? I've not heard of this on consoles. Is it an option for PC games?

+1

Physical media is dying. But physical will always be around for the enthusiast.
But even as an enthusiast myself I can tell you as soon as we can download uncompressed 4k movies ill be ditching my Samsung 4k Blu Ray player

What is a 4k Blu ray quality download going to run us?

Top Bottom