• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Dicer

Banned
It's time...

iXqdBoG.gif

Perfection...

BlackJace

Again, unless they find a way to restrict the demo kiosks to core fans only, I'm confused as to how the BB demos are preaching to the choir.

GamerJM

Banned
The choir isn't singing, with their wallets, at least. Maybe they need to be preached to, first.

I don't completely agree with his point for a variety of reasons, but I'm pretty sure the "choir" he was referring to are Nintendo fans who have already bought the console, implying that the people who aren't Nintendo fans won't watch the Direct or the Smash tournament.

Riki

I don't completely agree with his point for a variety of reasons, but I'm pretty sure the "choir" he was referring to are Nintendo fans who have already bought the console, implying that the people who aren't Nintendo fans won't watch the Direct or the Smash tournament.

Then why would they watch a live stream of a conference?

royalan

The choir isn't singing, with their wallets, at least. Maybe they need to be preached to, first.

Nintendo has been preaching to the choir for the last two years....

What benefits will Nintendo be missing from what they are doing now that they would get on a live conference?

Also, how is a Smash tournament Nintendo just preaching to the choir when they have been dead set against these things for years?

E3, despite being a great gaming showcase for enthusiasts gaming journalists, is also the one major gaming event a year that gets massive coverage from mainstream press. This makes having a major presence at E3 basically a mountain of free publicity.

DaBoss

You're confusing pre-E3 presentations with actual E3 presence. E3 presence is the booth stuff. Pre-E3 is all about the announcements/reveals.
Again, unless they find a way to restrict the demo kiosks to core fans only, I'm confused as to how the BB demos are preaching to the choir.
I'm confused as to how any of this is preaching to the choir. You will watch the Digital Event if you want to see what Nintendo has, you won't if you aren't interested in seeing what Nintendo has. The same logic applies to other major press conferences pre-E3.

I mean

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that the stage show is one of force, but

Can we stop pretending the shows have anything but a few memorable moments in all of them? Like, aside from the "We're not doing anything different (btw also paid multiplayer)" moment from Sony's conference, what leaps out at you about that show? Because the only other thing I remember was Ubisoft giving a demo of AC4 that crashed on stage. The only thing I remember from the year prior was "Great job, Jeremy" from a game I can't remember if it ever even came out. I don't remember Microsoft's at all except being livid about Dead Rising 3's demo and there was probably a long Call of Duty demo in there, too. Damned if I remember either Ubisoft or EA's conferences.

Yes, these press conferences are basically quasi-orgasmic blazes of hype and the great benefit is the mainstream coverage you get from them. But the conferences themselves are mostly boring tedium.

All I remember is lady boners. It has wiped any other memory of E3 away.

Riki

E3, despite being a great gaming showcase for enthusiasts gaming journalists, is also the one major gaming event a year that gets massive coverage from mainstream press. This makes having a major presence at E3 basically a mountain of free publicity.

Nintendo still got mainstream press last year, though...
Why would it be any different this year?

I think the biggest source of confusion in these "Should Nintendo do a press conference?" threads is that the "pro-Direct" people don't realize that the "pro-conference" people aren't arguing from a personal place.

Like, on a basic level, the fans insisting that Nintendo hold a press conference will be satisfied either way because we're getting what EVERYONE can agree is important: new info on games.

So when people argue that Nintendo should hold a conference, it's not to imply that games aren't important or we just really want a conference that badly. No, it's arguing from a business perspective. There are very real, very tangible benefits to hosting a press conference; Nintendo is missing out on this and not supplying an adequate alternative. But for some reason whenever this thread pops up it just gets awashed with "Why does it matter!? WE"RE STILL GETTING GAMES." That's not the point.

Like this Smash tournament. As a fan, I think this is a sweet idea. But it's still more of the same preaching to the choir that Nintendo's been doing. Just a little louder.

In the past Nintendo held their press conferences in the Nokia Theatre. This year they will be using the same theater, but instead of doing their conference there, they are doing a Smash Bros. tournament. To get the video game news that would normally be shown at a press conference out to the public, they are doing the digital event. I see where you're coming from, but it's not like Nintendo is shying away from spectacle.

royalan

Nintendo still got mainstream press last year, though...
Why would it be any different this year?

They didn't get nearly as much as MS and Sony did, nor as prominent.

You can argue that it's because both MS and Sony had new consoles to show last year, but those consoles are still new this year.
In the past Nintendo held their press conferences in the Nokia Theatre. This year they will be using the same theater, but instead of doing their conference there, they are doing a Smash Bros. tournament. To get the video game news that would normally be shown at a press conference out to the public, they are doing the digital event. I see where you're coming from, but it's not like Nintendo is shying away from spectacle.

You're free to disagree, but I just don't see the same amount of general gamers tuning into a Smash tournament that would have tuned into a tradition conference.

Riki

You can argue that it's because both MS and Sony had new consoles to show last year, but those consoles are still new this year.

So, you acknowledge that Sony and MS were obviously going to get more coverage because they were launching brand new consoles. But that can't be used as a reason why Nintendo didn't get as much coverage because of "reasons".
I see.

javac

Because the PS4 and Xbox One were being shown off. Of course they got more coverage :/

lenovox1

What benefits will Nintendo be missing from what they are doing now that they would get on a live conference?

Also, how is a Smash tournament Nintendo just preaching to the choir when they have been dead set against these things for years?

Maybe it was the content, but they seemed to receive less press and less favorable press with the Direct and the pre-opening than they normally get. And that's really the bottom line with these things, isn't it?

There's a lot of things that a press conference has that you can't duplicate with just a video. The Twilight Princess announcement back in 2004 wouldn't have nearly been so special if hundreds of journalists weren't losing their collective shit.

RagnarokX

And what is stopping the press from covering the information Nintendo puts out in this format? Keep in mind that last year Nintendo did 3 conferences:

They did an E3 Direct which gave nonstop game footage and information to gamers.
They did a press conference where they gave press information on their games and let them play their demos before E3 started.
They did a retailer conference for retailers.

They changed their format to be more efficient for the different demographics their conferences are aimed at to cut down on tedium and make sure their messages were clear after previous years the press completely missed their message. The only problem is that the media has a vested interest in resisting this change and stirring up controversy and people have biases against change and in favor of tradition.

I posted this in the other thread but the situation reminds me of this:

The Obama administration decides they're going to change how the healthcare system works to better serve the current market. Republicans and media with vested interests start talking about how the new healthcare system will have death panels, misrepresent what the new law says, and prey on peoples' fear of change. People argue that socializing medicine will cheapen the quality of their healthcare and beg the government not to change anything.

Nintendo announces they are dividing up their conference to better suit multiple demographics. Media with vested interests report that they aren't doing a conference or skipping E3, misrepresent what Nintendo says, and prey on peoples' fear of change. People argue that a different format means Nintendo has nothing to announce or the quality of what they announce will somehow be worse and ask Nintendo not to change anything.

Riki

Maybe it was the content, but they seemed to receive less press and less favorable press with the Direct and the pre-opening than they normally get. And that's really the bottom line with these things, isn't it?

They were going up against two brand new consoles who's games were just being revealed...
What did you expect?

There's a lot of things that a press conference has that you can't duplicate with just a video. The Twilight Princess announcement back in 2004 wouldn't have nearly been so special if hundreds of journalists weren't losing their collective shit.

Except that 2004 was open to the public, so that was fan reaction. You wouldn't ever get that again at E3.

I wouldn't laugh as much at The Big Bang Theory if it didn't have a laugh track, either.

Wait, no I wouldn't because I'm capable of determining what is special and exciting (and funny) to me without hearing other people cheering.

royalan

So, you acknowledge that Sony and MS were obviously going to get more coverage because they were launching brand new consoles. But that can't be used as a reason why Nintendo didn't get as much coverage because of "reasons".
I see.

That's not at all what I said, so no...you don't see.

The PS4 and XB1 are still very much new consoles that have dominated the general discourse since they were released. Hell, by the time this E3 hits BOTH will have likely outsold Wii U. At less than a year old, both consoles are still "new" and both of their libraries largely remain a mystery.

I don't see a scenario where MS and Sony allow Nintendo to command more E3 mindshare this year than they did last, especially since Nintendo doesn't seem prepared to do more to demand it.

And what is stopping the press from covering the information Nintendo puts out in this format? Keep in mind that last year Nintendo did 3 conferences:

They did an E3 Direct which gave nonstop game footage and information to gamers.
They did a press conference where they gave press information on their games and let them play their demos before E3 started.
They did a retailer conference for retailers.

They changed their format to be more efficient for the different demographics their conferences are aimed at to cut down on tedium and make sure their messages were clear after previous years the press completely missed their message. The only problem is that the media has a vested interest in resisting this change and stirring up controversy and people have biases against change and in favor of tradition.

I posted this in the other thread but the situation reminds me of this:

The Obama administration decides they're going to change how the healthcare system works to better serve the current market. Republicans and media with vested interests start talking about how the new healthcare system will have death panels, misrepresent what the new law says, and prey on peoples' fear of change. People argue that socializing medicine will cheapen the quality of their healthcare and beg the government not to change anything.

Nintendo announces they are dividing up their conference to better suit multiple demographics. Media with vested interests report that they aren't doing a conference or skipping E3, misrepresent what Nintendo says, and prey on peoples' fear of change. People argue that a different format means Nintendo has nothing to announce or the quality of what they announce will somehow be worse and ask Nintendo not to change anything.

You can argue that this is all the evil media's fault for having a personal vendetta against Nintendo all you want, but that don't change the facts: Nintendo is not in any position to change the way the media does things. They can either adapt or be left out in the cold, slowly slipping deeper into irrelevance and dying a slow-but-inevitable death.

jnWake

You're free to disagree, but I just don't see the same amount of general gamers tuning into a Smash tournament that would have tuned into a tradition conference.

I have no idea how many people tune into E3 traditional conferences, but the Smash Direct had a very big amount of people watching it live. Smash tournaments also get a lot of viewers. Combining both will probably get a very large amount of viewers.

Riki

That's not at all what I said, so no...you don't see.

The PS4 and XB1 are still very much new consoles that have dominated the general discourse since they were released. Hell, by the time this E3 hits BOTH will have likely outsold Wii U. At less than a year old, both consoles are still "new" and both of their libraries largely remain a mystery.

I don't see a scenario where MS and Sony allow Nintendo to command more E3 mindshare this year than they did last, especially since Nintendo doesn't seem prepared to do more to demand it.

Except that you say this without knowing what any of the three have to offer this year. A live stage demo wouldn't change anything if Nintendo has nothing to show. And if they have lots to show and they do a Direct, it won't make it any less talked about.

I really don't get the arguments. Each company gets their own time for E3. If it's on stage or a scripted highlight reel who the hell cares?

RagnarokX

The hell it wouldn't have been. It was new Zelda and a surprise at the end after it seemed like it was over. Journalists would have lost their shit whether they were in a theater or watching on a computer just like the rest of us.

There are things you lose by doing a live conference in a theater as well, like not being able to answer questions and make clarifications to the press that your console that is very obviously a console is not just a controller or making sure that there is no IR interference for your Zelda demo. That's why they had a special conference just for the press last year where they got hands-on time with the demos.

The Treehouse stream sound like the best coverage of E3 there will be, I don't get the hate

The media hates it because it's not exclusive information that have access to first. The discourse is whether or not that an E3 conference is beneficial to Nintendo in the long run (not necessarily the fans, in which case it obviously does).

royalan

Except that you say this without knowing what any of the three have to offer this year. A live stage demo wouldn't change anything if Nintendo has nothing to show. And if they have lots to show and they do a Direct, it won't make it any less talked about.

And isn't that in itself a major problem?

The media hates it because it's not exclusive information that have access to first. The discourse is whether or not that an E3 conference is beneficial to Nintendo in the long run (not necessarily the fans, in which case it obviously does).

That doesn't even make sense. Why would the media hate it for this reason? It's not like they have access to Sony and MS' live streams first. The public gets the info at the same time the press does.

Riki

That doesn't even make sense. Why would the media hate it for this reason? It's not like they have access to Sony and MS' live streams first. The public gets the info at the same time the press does.

Yes, it would be, if it was true. But it also means that having a live stage show is completely meaningless. It's content that matters. It's always content that matters. Not how you receive that content.

DNAbro

Your right my opinion of their E3 presence is wrong and only sales data mattered.

Somehow having a big stage show last year would have fixed sales?

Lolz

Bigger press conferences = bigger sales. Isn't this the most obvious thing? I mean it's not like the actual products matter at all.

one_kill

The media hates it because
- Less traffic - IGN, GameSpot, etc. use to stream Nintendo conferences
- Journalists don't feel as special

royalan

Yes, it would be, if it was true. But it also means that having a live stage show is completely meaningless. It's content that matters. It's always content that matters. Not how you receive that content.

Tell that to Sony after the mountain of great press they got for last year's E3.

Tripon

The media hates it because
- Less traffic - IGN, GameSpot, etc. use to stream Nintendo conferences
- Journalists don't feel as special

It also gives them less stuff to talk about at the event. I can see that being annoying for them because they're at this big thing and now they need to do something instead of covering the Nintendo press conference.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And they were last years. Didn't work out too well, did it?

Are you seriously attributing Wii U's poor performance with Nintendo's lack of a press conference?

javac

In any case they said:
The company is building on that approach at E3 2014 with the "Nintendo Digital Event," a new kind of video program
For all we know this is live or some crazy mix up of the two. Nothing in the sentence indicates that its pre recorded. All it says is it's a New kind of video program, so it's not even a straight up direct. It's something new apparently. In fact I'd imagine this will be live with Reggie Fils-A-Mech and the crew at HQ or something with live, unscripted hands on gameplay with Aonuma and the devs. With Treehouse going into further details live concurrently.

Codeblue

I think the biggest source of confusion in these "Should Nintendo do a press conference?" threads is that the "pro-Direct" people don't realize that the "pro-conference" people aren't arguing from a personal place.

Like, on a basic level, the fans insisting that Nintendo hold a press conference will be satisfied either way because we're getting what EVERYONE can agree is important: new info on games.

So when people argue that Nintendo should hold a conference, it's not to imply that games aren't important or we just really want a conference that badly. No, it's arguing from a business perspective. There are very real, very tangible benefits to hosting a press conference; Nintendo is missing out on this and not supplying an adequate alternative. But for some reason whenever this thread pops up it just gets awashed with "Why does it matter!? WE"RE STILL GETTING GAMES." That's not the point.

Like this Smash tournament. As a fan, I think this is a sweet idea. But it's still more of the same preaching to the choir that Nintendo's been doing. Just a little louder.

People try to argue the business side, but are doing a poor job of it because we don't really have access to any of the information that would allow us to construct a solid argument. There's no hard data that implies whether or not conferences are tied to sales so what we get instead are posts like this:

And they were last years. Didn't work out too well, did it?

That can't be substantiated because we have absolutely no way of knowing if it did what Nintendo wanted it to do or if it would have worked better with a live conference even with the added cost of doing so. There's no merit to these arguments because they're just bits and pieces of unsupported speculation.

Top Bottom