• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

RagnarokX

You can argue that this is all the evil media's fault for having a personal vendetta against Nintendo all you want, but that don't change the facts: Nintendo is not in any position to change the way the media does things. They can either adapt or be left out in the cold, slowly slipping deeper into irrelevance and dying a slow-but-inevitable death.

Don't try to make this sound like some crazy conspiracy. The media obviously has an interest in resisting this change and sensationalizing things. They stream the press conferences so they must make a good chunk of money from that. It's the biggest video game press event of the year and Nintendo is cutting them off from a source of revenue. Why shouldn't the press take some responsibility for purposefully misrepresenting the facts or refusing to report on them out of personal self interest? If a bully starts making up rumors about a kid at school because the kid dresses a certain way would you just blame the kid and tell him to stop making the bully pick on him?

hughesta

Banned
It's time...

iXqdBoG.gif
Oh my fucking god.

There are things you lose by doing a live conference in a theater as well, like not being able to answer questions and make clarifications to the press that your console that is very obviously a console is not just a controller or making sure that there is no IR interference for your Zelda demo. That's why they had a special conference just for the press last year where they got hands-on time with the demos.

Not really, as they've done that exact same thing before following the press conferences, such as with hands-on demos of the 3DS and Skyward Sword, as well as another year with a bunch of 3DS hands-on demos. Hell, Nintendo used to even have Q&As immediately following their conference, on the exact same stage, which is where the infamous Nintendojo question was asked.

In fact, there was less of a gap between those demos and Q&A (as in there wasn't one at all) as compared to last years Direct and press demos, which followed more than an hour later

royalan

The mountain of great press they got for not fucking over their fans? Oh yes, that was all because of a live stage conference.

So I take it you missed the part where Sony directly took MS to task for thheir anti-consumerist policies, received several standing ovations from the audience, and was plastered all over gaming and general media because of this?

Are you seriously attributing Wii U's poor performance with Nintendo's lack of a press conference?

No? But I do think it's a factor. One of many, but a factor, nonetheless.

I mean, isn't this basically what that other thread poster proved?

Don't try to make this sound like some crazy conspiracy. The media obviously has an interest in resisting this change and sensationalizing things. They stream the press conferences so they must make a good chunk of money from that. It's the biggest video game press event of the year and Nintendo is cutting them off from a source of revenue. Why shouldn't the press take some responsibility for purposefully misrepresenting the facts or refusing to report on them out of personal self interest? If a bully starts making up rumors about a kid at school because the kid dresses a certain way would you just blame the kid and tell him to stop making the bully pick on him?

I'm going to bold the part of that post that's most pertinent to you:

You can argue that this is all the evil media's fault for having a personal vendetta against Nintendo all you want, but that don't change the facts: Nintendo is not in any position to change the way the media does things. They can either adapt or be left out in the cold, slowly slipping deeper into irrelevance and dying a slow-but-inevitable death.

ironcreed

Banned
Again, unless they find a way to restrict the demo kiosks to core fans only, I'm confused as to how the BB demos are preaching to the choir.

Not only that. If the reveals are potent enough, word will get around and people will see the footage. Just as they would if they held a press conference. Because at the end of the day, it's the content that makes the noise and will speak for itself. How they choose to reveal it is moot.

Riki

So I take it you missed the part where Sony directly took MS to task for thheir anti-consumerist policies, received several standing ovations from the audience, and was plastered all over gaming and general media because of this?

Is that not what I said? Sony didn't fuck over their fans and everyone praised them for it. Woooooooooooooooooow. That's so kind of them! It's amazing! "Hey everyone! We're not killing you today! Aren't we nice?"

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Their direct last year was a disaster, constantly pausing and buffering, hopefully none of that happens this year.

The real hype comes from the live streaming they'll be doing all day, that sounds awesome.

royalan

Is that not what I said? Sony didn't fuck over their fans and everyone praised them for it. Woooooooooooooooooow. That's so kind of them! It's amazing! "Hey everyone! We're not killing you today! Aren't we nice?"
And you don't think that the mountain of good press Sony got for that contributed to the PS4's high sales numbers?

ironcreed

Banned

The message and reaction would have carried the same weight, regardless if it was at a press conference or not. Everyone on the internet would have still been watching a stream either way. It's the content and message that ultimately resonates.

one_kill

No one proved anything
Everyone's just speculating
Stop exaggerating too ("was plastered all over gaming and general media" - what general media?!)

E3, despite being a great gaming showcase for enthusiasts gaming journalists, is also the one major gaming event a year that gets massive coverage from mainstream press. This makes having a major presence at E3 basically a mountain of free publicity.

They're at the actual E3 with booths and demos for those at E3, and for those who aren't, how exactly are we going to be watching all the E3 pressers in general

Oh right, we're going to see them being streamed
Im sorry, what's the problem here....

As a gamer, you shouldn't really GAF either way....

quoting this again, as this is the only major effect and the reason for the yellow press that's already being spread

You really should listen to me a bit more on this.
I mean, granted, it's just my opinion... but of course gaming press is going to be negative about it, because they are being cut out of the conversation. When you start promoting and talking through 'owned channels,' then you get the traffic. You're basically taking traffic away from press outlets, and letting consumers participate without their lens.

The press hasn't been kind to them for awhile, so this let's the main messaging get out to potential purchases through Nintendo's rose-tinted view. The sad part is, it works, but it mostly has to happen because of the vitriol the media is giving them in the first place. It's a cycle, just look at all the negativity today in what should be a big win for 'core fans,' since they are actively being called to take part in experiencing something that was typically reserved for elite access press.

udivision

The media hates it because it's not exclusive information that have access to first. The discourse is whether or not that an E3 conference is beneficial to Nintendo in the long run (not necessarily the fans, in which case it obviously does).

The media doesn't hate it, because they're gonna get their "New Zelda Game" clicks either way.

It's really just fanboys fightin'

royalan

The message and reaction would have carried the same weight, regardless if it was at a press conference or not. Everyone on the internet would have still been watching a stream either way. It's the content and message that ultimately resonates.

To deny the effect of this announcement being accompanied by the thunderous and genuine applause of an entire auditorium of fans and industry professionals is to turn a blind eye to the way media works and has always worked.

We're just going to have to disagree.

Linkhero1

To deny the effect of this announcement being accompanied by the thunderous and genuine applause of an entire auditorium of fans and industry professionals is to turn a blind eye to the way media works and has always worked.

You're telling me that the press hooting and hollering while their hands touch sells games? Fucking Nintendo should have tried this at E3 2012 with the Wii U.

ec0ec0

So, times are changing and nowadays a company like nintendo can directly talk to their customers and directly tell their mesage to them. But, because the "media" still exists, they cant do that because that would be bad for the media and therefore for them... But, what if customers prefer to hear the mesage from nintendo. Maybe, in that case, things could change in the future?? I dont like the media, i like nintendo. I like nintendo talking to me...

javac

And you don't think that the mountain of good press Sony got for that contributed to the PS4's high sales numbers?

The information mattered, not how that information was dished out. The hollering the fans did at the press didn't cause the sales and goodwill, the information itself did. That information would have reached the audience and everybody at home either way through other mediums.

213372bu

Banned
You're telling me that the press hooting and hollering while their hands touch sells games? Fucking Nintendo should have tried this at E3 2012 with the Wii U.

Yes.

I mean if you want to simplify it.

Ask anyone today what an Xbox One is and let me hear the responses you get.

royalan

Nintendo did try this, with their Twilight Princess announcement.

To do this day Miyamoto coming out on stage is considered one of Nintendo's most iconic moments and STILL gets mentioned regularly among enthusiasts.

Can the same be said for any specific moment of a Nintendo Direct? That's not shade--I'm genuinely asking since I don't watch all of them.

RagnarokX

Not really, as they've done that exact same thing before following the press conferences, such as with hands-on demos of the 3DS and Skyward Sword, as well as another year with a bunch of 3DS hands-on demos. Hell, back in the day, like E3 2001, Nintendo would even have Q&As immediately following their conference, on the exact same stage, which is where the infamous Nintendojo question was asked.
Right, if they're going to do those then what do they need the main conference for? Seems redundant. Their reasoning last year was that the media was confused because it's harder to show and explain than to just let them experience it for themselves. And live stage demos can go wrong. So they had a pre-recorded conference for the gaming audience tailored to them and they had a live press conference for the press tailored to them.

Nintendo can't rely on the press. They have to be more thorough and intimate with how they present the information to them. That's why they had a conference for them last E3 at their booth so that they could let them experience the games first hand and get the facts straight. Again, we shouldn't be blaming Nintendo for the bad press they are getting for this decision when it's clearly agenda driven. The press isn't stupid (well, not that stupid).

one_kill

To do this day Miyamoto coming out on stage is considered one of Nintendo's most iconic moments and STILL gets mentioned regularly among enthusiasts.

Can the same be said for any specific moment of a Nintendo Direct? That's not shade--I'm genuinely asking since I don't watch all of them.
How did they do it if it was something that they didn't control?

I'm guessing they had a prompt during the Zelda TP reveal that said, "Cry, shout, stand up now!"

Yes.

What would they say? I haven't asked, but I would assume they would say, "Is that the new Xbox?"

ironcreed

Banned

Oh, I don't doubt the effect at all. I am merely saying that the response would have been the same to all watching either way. As the potency of the message would remain in the face of the draconian bullshit that Microsoft was trying to pull at $100 more expensive. My point is that if you give people what they want, it is not going to matter if it is presented at a press conference or not. But sure, it certainly has an impact with a roaring crowd and all.

Marlowe89

Right, because it couldn't possibly be mostly due to the effect of the announcements themselves. Nintendo is doooomed because they don't have a bunch of journalists applauding and screaming like idiots in an auditorium.

Hilarious.

royalan

So, times are changing and nowadays a company like nintendo can directly talk to their customers and directly tell their mesage to them. But, because the "media" still exists, they cant do that because that would be bad for the media and therefore for them... But, what if customers prefer to hear the mesage from nintendo. Maybe, in that case, things could change in the future?? I dont like the media, i like nintendo. I like nintendo talking to me...

Dude, this is nothing new.

Corporations wanting to have complete control of their messaging and brand image is NOTHING new, and before the growth of national journalism and new publications was rather commonplace. Back in the day this was seen as a problem. And why? Because corporations took advantage of it.

Linkhero1

Yes.

What does that have to do with anything?

The reason the Wii U is doing so badly has nothing to do with the way Nintendo has been presenting their information at E3. It's the content itself.

It's definitely energizing but has nothing to do with sales of the game. It generates some buzz, but again, the content is what generates the buzz not the journalists screaming their hearts out. Whether they choose to report on the content Nintendo presents in their live stream is up to them.

I don't completely agree with his point for a variety of reasons, but I'm pretty sure the "choir" he was referring to are Nintendo fans who have already bought the console, implying that the people who aren't Nintendo fans won't watch the Direct or the Smash tournament.

Yeah, and they're not buying games, even Nintendo games. They need to start buying games and Nintendo needs to start making sure that happens.

Terrell

That's not a validation of one presentation method over another, merely that they had content people wanted to hear and see more voraciously. They could have presented it in a pre-taped situation and got the same result. And in fact, they partly did with the PS4 game sharing video.

You're not making your case for one presentation method over another, which is the whole point of you entering this discussion.

I'm sure it did. But you haven't convinced anyone that a pre-taped showing of the same content would have had a lesser effect.

javac

People mention it but does that even matter? So they caused a few guys to scream in their seats a decade ago so...? Have they replicated that since? That's sentimental feelings. Yeah it feels awesome. No that doesn't translate to the millions of sales it gets, or lack of for that matter. People literally moan at E3 when they bring out the annual COD and AssCreed gameplay out at E3 but the sales seem fine to me. Moans, giggles, applause, laughter. It's all noise at the end of the day. Cool stuff as a fan to see live but sentiments nonetheless.

prag16

Banned
Dude, this is nothing new.

Corporations wanting to have complete control of their messaging and brand image is NOTHING new, and before the growth of national journalism and new publications was rather commonplace. Back in the day this was seen as a problem. And why? Because corporations took advantage of it.

This is horse shit. The "journalists" almost entirely manufactured the "confusion" over the Wii U after E3 2011. Everybody watching the stream knew it was a new console, including the journalists. Yet the filter they decided to create for the masses involved portraying the system as a very confusing potential Wii add-on.

But no, if the actual facts had been allowed to make it to the mainstream unfiltered, it's BAD because it lacks "journalism" spin.

Please.

royalan

Oh, I don't doubt the effect at all. I am merely saying that the response would have been the same to all watching either way. As the potency of the message would remain in the face of the draconian bullshit that Microsoft was trying to pull at $100 more expensive. My point is that if you give people what they want, it is not going to matter if it is presented at a press conference or not. But sure, it certainly has an impact with a roaring crowd and all.

If you truly believe the part of your statement that I bolded, then you're really not disagreeing with me. lol

It does have an impact, and I think Sony with last year's E3 proved that it could have a significant one. Buzz feeds into hype, and hype drives sales. Create enough buzz, you will create sales. This is marketing 101. Sony's bold stance last E3 and the reaction it got was inspiring, and the most talked-about moment from last E3. It was described by a lot of people as a "changing tide." To not think that had anything to do with the PS4's record-breaking sales later that year is just not paying attention.

This is horse shit. The "journalists" almost entirely manufactured the "confusion" over the Wii U after E3 2011. Everybody watching the stream knew it was a new console, including the journalists. Yet the filter they decided to create for the masses involved portraying the system as a very confusing potential Wii add-on.

But no, if the actual facts had been allowed to make it to the mainstream unfiltered, it's BAD because it lacks "journalism" spin.

Please.

What!? Dude, I was in those E3 2011 threads just as much as you, and you know damn well that damn near HALF OF GAF didn't even know it was a new console as the conference was going. And the E3 threads are waiting in the archives if you don't believe it. Nintendo genuinely confused a lot of people that year. The media didn't spin shit.

You can make your point, but don't be purposefully obtuse about it.

Linkhero1

People mention it but does that even matter? So they caused a few guys to scream in their seats a decade ago so...? Have they replicated that since? That's sentimental feelings. Yeah it feels awesome. No that doesn't translate to the millions of sales it gets. People literally moan at E3 when they bring out the annual COD and AssCreed gameplay out at E3 but the sales seem fine to me. Moans, giggles, applause, laughter. It's all noise at the end of the day. Cool stuff as a fan to see live but sentiments nonetheless.

Seems some people forget that Twilight Princess was delayed time and time again and ported to a new console, as a LAUNCH title, and generated a lot of media hype without the press screaming like children. Screams at E3 != sales, but I'd like to see the ratio of screams to sales graphed if anyone is willing to do it. Aquamarine?

one_kill

If you truly believe the part of your statement that I bolded, then you're really not disagreeing with me. lol

It does have an impact, and I think Sony with last year's E3 proved that it could have a significant one. Buzz feeds into hype, and hype drives sales. Create enough buzz, you will create sales. This is marketing 101. Sony's bold stance last E3 and the reaction it got was inspiring, and the most talked-about moment from last E3. It was described by a lot of people as a "changing tide." To not think that had anything to do with the PS4's record-breaking sales later that year is just not paying attention.
The hyperbole in this one is strong

ec0ec0

Gaming sites say that its bad for nintendo because its actually bad for them, simple. Anyway, im only giving "clics" to gaf and nintendo (that would be easier if gaf works during E3 :p)

prag16

Banned

What!? Dude, I was in those E3 2011 threads just as much as you, and you know damn well that damn near HALF OF GAF didn't even know it was a new console as the conference was going. And the E3 threads are waiting in the archives if you don't believe it. Nintendo genuinely confused a lot of people that year. The media didn't spin shit.

I didn't become a gaf lurker until late 2011, member mid 2012. I never saw those threads. It's possible you're right, and that I'm giving gaf way too much credit. If you're right, I'm surprised and disappointed. None of my other gamer friends (real life and internet) were confused in the least.

Riki

Anyone that didn't know it was a new console was an idiot.
Especially on GAF where we had known about it for weeks ahead of time.

RagnarokX

A lot of the GAFers in those threads also thought that the 360 versions of Wii U third party ports shown looked worse than the 360 versions that they were. Anyone that seriously thought that the Wii U could be some kind of magical controller that would allow Wii to play HD games weren't being attentive.

Linkhero1

A lot of the GAFers in those threads also thought that the 360 versions of Wii U third party ports shown looked worse than the 360 versions that they were. Anyone that seriously thought that the Wii U could be some kind of magical controller that would allow Wii to play HD games weren't being attentive.
That was one of the most embarrassing gaf moments ever.

213372bu

Banned

It didn't help that the first thing you saw was a person holding a Wii mote playing New Super Mario Bros. though. Especially for people who only watch those trailers.

ffdgh

Now to be fair, they never actually showed the console during the reveal. Just the game pad iirc.

Top Bottom