• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 Classics coming to PlayStation Plus Premium on June 11th

Esppiral

Already played all of them on my series X, 4k and 60 FPS I doubt their shitty emulation solution can match that unless they just stole code from pcsx2.

Also fix your horrid PS2 emulation on Ps5 some games are a glitch fest

Last edited:

Esppiral

these games will be using a new updated emulator, not the one currently being used, that's why people are excited for these releases.
They should update their current emulated games with that new emulator. Primal and Ape Escape 2 are a jaggied glitchy fest on ps5

GymWolf

Gold Member
We don't know if they will update the existing PS2 classics or not with this new emulator.

But starting with these, all new PS2 releases in the future will use the updated emulator.
Well shit, my happiness didn't lasted for long :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Still hope they make an infamous remaster collection or a killzone collection.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The PS2 version of Legend 🤔
I actually prefer the look of the PS2 version over the 360's one included in the HD Collection.
Despite the worst textures colours was better and some lighting was actually missing from the so called Nextgen version along with some odd shadows on characters and it had a piss filter and Lara had a Smokey eyes look on the PS2 version too.
If this is 4K60 it should be good

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I actually can't wait to hear that bass line drop in the Tomb Raider Legend theme.

If ya can't hear it you need to upgrade your speakers 😏

fart town usa

Gold Member
the shitty PS3 ports made shittier by streaming and locked behind a monthly fee. Not a great option.

Well, I can't remember if god of war had issues, but Sly and Ratchet PS3 ports were garbage.
Yea, not the best option but just like tossing it out there as bait really. Certainly playable but definitely not ideal. I dabble in it here and there, already own most for my actual PS3. Still a good option though if people don't want to run emulation and also pay for the top-tier. There's a solid selection of obscure PS3 gems in there. Alone in the Dark: Inferno no less. 👌

wvnative

Yea, not the best option but just like tossing it out there as bait really. Certainly playable but definitely not ideal. I dabble in it here and there, already own most for my actual PS3. Still a good option though if people don't want to run emulation and also pay for the top-tier. There's a solid selection of obscure PS3 gems in there. Alone in the Dark: Inferno no less. 👌

I'd be more accepting if we could stream the digital PS3 games we own for free without the premium sub, but I guess Sony ain't that nice. I also just think premium costs entirely too much.

I still have my PS3, hooked up and ready whenever I want. But It's still a bigger inconvenience to me.

Kerotan

Nobody is asking for 100 games a month.

We're arguing that they should have built up at least a larger up-front selection of maybe 20 - 30 titles to add to the service day one, after which they can incrementally add a small number of new titles each month thereafter.

There's like over 1500 PS2 games in the entire catalogue. At 3 games added per week, if you're looking for a specific game you probably won't see it this gen, or next for that matter.
In that case we'd have to wait another 12 months until they built up 40+ titles. I'd rather we just get them as they're ready.

keefged4

With all the options available now for emulating PS2 games, It's shocking how inept Sony are at providing their own solutions for playing their own games, let alone the selection of games they make available via their half arsed emulation efforts.

I'll believe it when I see more than 3 games. TR legends, while awesome, was much better on PC/360 at the time as ps2 had no shaders, and I can play it on my series x. Good for those that want it though. I'd rather have the ps1 games I payed for back on the psp/ps3/vita you know TR1-4 and the slew of other games they don't drop on the store.

Also no jrpgs, grrr.

Sly cooper is cool but why not just port the collection they made on vita/ps3. That was up-ressed with trophies, and then port the sly 4 game. All those games were already made. It's maddening that so many games are stuck on ps3 and Sony doesn't do shit to make a ps3 emulator or port them over.

I'd love being able to play suikoden 3-5, dq8, the castlevania games on ps2, but those games aren't coming over I bet. (luckily have all that on disc and an actual ps2 hooked up.)

Can we dump ps4, its just holing us back now, how about some ps vita games,
Already played all of them on my series X, 4k and 60 FPS I doubt their shitty emulation solution can match that unless they just stole code from pcsx2.

Also fix your horrid PS2 emulation on Ps5 some games are a glitch fest
Old ps2 games are ports, these are the first few emulated games

Infamous games aren't emulated but streamed, they're native PS3 versions looking and working exactly like they did on PS3 with added lag and compression artifacts on top thanks to streaming, even with best internet connection it still sucks.

Btw I tried Infamous 1 on my PS3 recently and was surprised how poorly it runs. This level of performance would not be received well today.
I think people today are too damn picky. We didn't care or know about "frame pacing" or none of that garbage. If a game was running a few frames below target, we didn't know. We just played the games.
Hell I remember playing Quake 3 at 18fps and enjoying it on my shitty cyrix m2 because that is all I had and was glad just to have it.
Recently a few games came out on switch and people were saying "unplayable" due to loading screens , a 1-2 second loading screen is not the end of the world.

As for infamous those games were great, I'd love for a remaster of both, as well as resistance and killzone. I don't know why Sony only favored uncharted for that treatment.

Now I did go and play some of the psp games that came out on ps5. (I owned them from psp and they showed in my libraray) and man they are rough. Like resolution isn't even up-ressed, its a jag fest. I would of thought they would done something to them, nope.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
We don't know if they will update the existing PS2 classics or not with this new emulator.
Given some of the emulated-games are currently broken on PS5 - I imagine they would want to.

let alone the selection of games they make available via their half arsed emulation efforts.
Selection has nothing to do with tech - even on PS3, their PS2 emulator had over 300 titles officially supported (and many more if you hacked it) but they got there through a trickle.
Licensing hellscape is licensing hellscape - same reason there are less than 50 og. XBox games BC to date.

Now - the fact it took 3 years to release an updated emulator is indeed a far cry from Sony of old where PS1 emulator for PS2 was done in under 6 months (yes CPU wasn't emulated right away - but GPU was, and 5000+ compatible titles at launch) or even the PS2 for PS3 (6 months to European launch and the emulated CPU side was over 85% compatbility).

If this is 4K60 it should be good
Resolution is possible - I wouldn't bet on framerate enhancements with this unless the game already ran unlocked. Eg. Star Wars games all run at higher framerate even in the yanky old emulator because they ran unlocked on PS2, but locked games stay the same.

This new one should be similar to their current PS1 offering with features like higher res, save states and filters.
I'd settle for 'not glitching out on PS5' like Primal and several other games that are basically unplayable atm.
But the old emu already runs at higher res - that was the least of its problems.

sachos

Better late than ever but.... just 3 games, it is so lazy. Lets hope they improved the emulator at least. And those games, why not start with the big some more bigger guns to really get the people going? Make it Sly 1, Ratchet 1, GoW 1, Jak 1, SH2, GT3...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Eager to see how well their new emulator works. Sly Cooper had some missing effects in the HD remaster so a proper version based on the PS2 original would make it the best place to play it.

What do you mean their "new emulator"? When did this happen?

Muffdraul

~looks at humongous collection of PS2 games I can't play anymore, many of which are just fucking awesome bona fide CLASSICS~

~looks at the 3 PS2 games Sony is offering~

~has strong urge to choke Sony~

Last edited:
PS3 era HD ports were often very lazy and basic and even missing some effects/features (even the ones from Bluepoint) so we're not missing much by getting uprendered PS2 version instead, the only thing that I wish they would improve is adding HD UI to these versions (I'm not sure how easy it is to do but I believe it's possible).
Not with the Jak & Daxter PS3 ports. They are still the best way to play those games.
Infamous games aren't emulated but streamed, they're native PS3 versions looking and working exactly like they did on PS3 with added lag and compression artifacts on top thanks to streaming, even with best internet connection it still sucks.

Btw I tried Infamous 1 on my PS3 recently and was surprised how poorly it runs. This level of performance would not be received well today.
Yes. They really need to remaster all the Infamous games locked on PS3. Those games are really well done and fun.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not with the Jak & Daxter PS3 ports. They are still the best way to play those games.
Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

At least for the first game

CamHostage

SOCOM please…

...For the single-player mode? Who would that please?

socom 1 and 2 and enable servers. wth

That's not what's happening here. Multiplayer restorations would be a different process (and marketing initiative,) if SOCOM MP ever comes back it'd likely have to be in the form of a remaster or a classic collection like the Star Wars Battlefront collection.

Last edited:
In that case we'd have to wait another 12 months until they built up 40+ titles. I'd rather we just get them as they're ready.

Or they stop doing per-game wrapper and work on a universal emulator. By next year, they'd have half the PS2 catalogue playable. Much better than 3 games per months for 12 months which gives you a measly 36 games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What do you mean their "new emulator"? When did this happen?
We don't know for sure yet.
But the 'current' emulator has stopped getting new releases like... roughly 6 years ago.
And then the emulator never got patched for PS4Pro, and worse - the PS5 (where it got really buggy/broken with some games).
So the fact we're getting first new PS2 games after 6 years, is an indication they've changed 'something' - whether it's the old emulator getting finally getting updated or a brand new one.

Funniest of this whole story is that the *last* (I think) PS2 title we got in this saga was AC5, which ran at proper 4k with some upgraded assets (but still emulated). So the last title got the best treatment - but then things just died.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We don't know for sure yet.
But the 'current' emulator has stopped getting new releases like... roughly 6 years ago.
And then the emulator never got patched for PS4Pro, and worse - the PS5 (where it got really buggy/broken with some games).
So the fact we're getting first new PS2 games after 6 years, is an indication they've changed 'something' - whether it's the old emulator getting finally getting updated or a brand new one.

Funniest of this whole story is that the *last* (I think) PS2 title we got in this saga was AC5, which ran at proper 4k with some upgraded assets (but still emulated). So the last title got the best treatment - but then things just died.
Uhm… I wonder if all their PS2 titles on PS5 will get the improved emulator… Primal needs to shine!!!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Uhm… I wonder if all their PS2 titles on PS5 will get the improved emulator… Primal needs to shine!!!
The thing that always irked me about this thing was that Sony offered this 'emulator engine with asset replacement' for other systems on PS4 - we literally had multiple PSP releases that way as well - no porting involved there. And the tech existed since PS3/PSP era (for other legacy systems). And that also vanished after 2016.

Top Bottom