• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 Classics coming to PlayStation Plus Premium on June 11th

dotnotbot

Where the fuck is Fantavision?

OrionNebula

Halfway through this gen… look at how many ps2 games are now available, look at ps2 full game catalog… lemme do the math…

nial

Gold Member
Halfway through this gen… look at how many ps2 games are now available, look at ps2 full game catalog… lemme do the math…
PS3 was getting PS2 classics published by Sony all the way to 2015, and you couldn't even play those on PS4, so I doubt that's an issue for them.

semiconscious

Gold Member
A, you would still start with some major hits if the plan was a slow but nonstop flow of must-have games.

B, the PS2 library has enough titles to announce something every week if this iniative was full-bore. Same goes for the PS1 library before this.

There's no reason to believe that Sony has a torrent of titles ready to drop on consumers the minute PS+ Premium takes off. They have what they have, and everything else will take work and time to deliver... even though they already exist.
okay, then. i'll just continue to play my purchased digital ps2 collection on my ps3, i guess...

Agent X

Gold Member
They haven’t even directly announced a new emulation solution, so I’m thinking it’s going to be the same shit tech they have for the current PS2 games.

This article from Push Square says it is a new emulator which incorporates up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

This emulator was likely developed by Implicit Conversions, as they were responsible for the PS1 and PSP emulators on PS4/PS5 that also contained these features.

Anyone know if you can just buy these? I don't want their dumb subscription but I'd gladly sauce out $10 or whatever to play Sly Cooper 1 without digging out my PS3.

Agent X

Gold Member
Anyone know if you can just buy these? I don't want their dumb subscription but I'd gladly sauce out $10 or whatever to play Sly Cooper 1 without digging out my PS3.

Most of the recent wave of PS1 and PSP games for PS4/PS5 are purchasable a la carte outside of the subscription (with a few exceptions). This is also true of the already existing PS2 games for PS4. I'd guess the same will apply to this new batch of PS2 games.

Dr. Suchong

Star wars clone wars is unquestionably the quintessential choice for anyone yearning for that unmistakable Ps2 nostalgia hit.
Lhikcnl.jpeg

Last edited:

Drew1440

Curious why compatibility might not be as high as the PS3 one, when the PS5 has significantly faster hardware?

eDRAM?
Sort of, but the PS3 had raw speed with it's PPE clocked at 3.2Ghz, whilst the PS4's CPU is at 1.6Ghz. Emulation tends to favour faster single cores but from the looks of the emulator used on the PS2, Sony had optimised the emulator very well to make use of it's SPU's, with different parts of the Emotion Engine (The Vector Units, IPU, GIF, GS, etc) distributed over the SPU's. Also parts of the XMB shut down why is why the controller briefly disconnects when playing PS2 Classics, the extra SPU that is reserved for the XMB is used for PS2 emulation instead.

The PS4 might be holding things back, as it lacks support for the AVX instruction which was said to boost performance for PCSX2 at least.
Are you talking the emulation approach used in the PS3 version of Monster Hunter Portable 3 HD?

I've always been curious about what that was and what it was capable of (and if it was ever cracked? I see a "psponps3" app mentioned for PS3 custom firmware but I'm not sure if it's the same application?) I have seen mention that it included texture packs as well as the documented other native PS3 features like SixAxis/DualShock support or sometimes 3D display, but I actually have never been able to confirm that texture packs were included in the release? The HD version had clear visual improvements, and I always thought that a texture pack was what Sony was describing when they announced the PSP Remaster line, but when I look at the games, it seems a lot like the PS3 emulator did the enhancement (underneath the UI, which is important, and the UI is still the blocky PSP material which further indicates that assets were not replaced) rather than new assets. I looked to see if hackers have ripped the PS3 "texture pack" and patched it into new emulated versions of MH3P, but I see conflicting info as to whether those textures ever actually existed.

*BTW, I'm greatly disappointed even today that the whole PSP Remaster initiative went nowhere; it also never "came to Vita", if that were to be a thing. We never got any of the six games released through it in America on PS3, and although a few game developers made their games playable on PS3, games like MGS Portable Ops or Resistance Retribution oddly didn't use this tool and had their own feature systems. Could have been a great feature IMO.
(For posterity, the PS3 games which used PSP Remaster were the Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky trilogy aka TotS, SC, and The Third, K-ON! Ho-kago Live, and Dynasty Warriors Multi-Raid 2 aka StrikeForce 2.)
The PlayStation Mini's were played through the PSP emulator for the PS3, to the point where the save data could be transferred over. As for why Sony didn't allow full PSP games to be played, possibly they didn't want to affect sales of the PSP console itself.

Ghosthunter is a nice addition even if I would've preferred another Primal from Studio Cambridge myself :messenger_grinning_sweat: There's some surprisingly detailed levels and special effects for the PS2 once you get past the opening school level, should look decent at a higher resolution

Top Bottom