• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 Classics coming to PlayStation Plus Premium on June 11th

CamHostage

Funniest of this whole story is that the *last* (I think) PS2 title we got in this saga was AC5, which ran at proper 4k with some upgraded assets (but still emulated). So the last title got the best treatment - but then things just died.

The version of Ace Combat 5 for PS4/5 included in special releases of Ace Combat 7 was a port, not an emulated copy of the PS2 game. (It was also supposedly a complete recompilation work of the original game rather than an original code restoration, a bit like the fan-made decompilation work of Super Mario 64 or the Jak & Daxter engine, but I'm not sure how that could have been determined?)

I'm not sure why Namco went to that trouble or why they didn't expand the release out to other platforms if they have already pulled out the old code (or pulled apart and reassigned the original's code to new APIs,) but it's a different reworking of a PS2 game from the old PS4 emulator or the new PS4/5 emulator.

Cool but I'm already set for PS2 games with xbsx2 emulator on series x dev mode. Now PS3 games? That's what I want! It's sad that the only way to play it on PS5 is cloud streaming.

CamHostage

It's not a per-game wrapper. Compatibility may not be as high as PS3 one was, but it's still general emulation.

Not a per-game emulator, but it's still a per-game wrapper, as in there is no OS-level support or separate emulator application. The game ISO is wrapped into an executeable along with the emulator in one big package, and they are tied to operate together. (Also, the emulator probably has some per-game code to it, although that's usually from trying to use the previous version of the generic emulator and finding that this game used calls which were unusual and now cause the emulator to break, so it must now be accounted for.)

Hopefully these new PS2 releases under a new emulator will run better than the old PS4 emulator. However, that will be of no good news for those with say the previous release of Primal, given that it is still wrapped in the old emulator and cannot "switch" what it boots on. There would have to be a new release of Primal, and you would need to re-download the entire package.

JaksGhost

Would any of you be willing to pay more for a PSN subscription for more drops, because if no is the answer you’re only going to get 3. It’s either that or enough people buy the classics to move that needle. The corporate world sucks but money is the motivation and driving force of it. They’re not philanthropists and they will let you know out loud.

CamHostage

Curious why compatibility might not be as high as the PS3 one, when the PS5 has significantly faster hardware?

eDRAM?

The original PS2 emulation on PS3 (launch units with support at the OS level) worked because aspects of the PS2 chipset were included in the PS3 chipset; later versions of hardware-based BC cut out the Emotion Engine and RAMBUS memory but still kind of worked (although in my experience with actual hardware, both had issues like lag, I guess primarily because the game still had to go through the PS3 scaler and things just got messy.) The final PS2 emulation solution on PS3 was entirely software-based, through an emulation app wrapper labeled "ps2_netemu", and it was surprisingly capable (especially after hackers cracked it to work with games Sony never released on PSN), but it still always had problems. And then the PS2 emulator on PS4 labeled "ps2onps4" is said to be sort of a new version of ps2_netemu rather than a total rewrite for new hardware.

This new PS2 emulator for PS4/5 is created by a totally different studio (I can't remember their name, but they did the PS1/PSP emulation and also some Nintendo Switch work.) It's more modern, ideally has some improvements and features, but it's not produced internally by Sony, for better or worse in terms of compatibility.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Or they stop doing per-game wrapper and work on a universal emulator. By next year, they'd have half the PS2 catalogue playable. Much better than 3 games per months for 12 months which gives you a measly 36 games.

It's not the emulator which is making most back-catalog releases difficult to put out there, it's all the legal and rights-handling issues. Back in the blitz time of PS Classics on PS3/PSP or Virtual Console releases, classic games were big business and companies rushed to get all that paperwork done and games re-published as quickly as possible, but that machine has slowed down for various reasons, and also there's not money anymore greasing the wheels.

It'd still be great if they could get this new emulator wrapped into the existing PS4 versions of PS2 Classics ASAP. (And technically if it was a standalone app, it would have been possible to write it so it'd ignore the existing old emulator wrapper and just yank the ISO through to the new emu app. I'm all Sony having dedicated PS platform emulator apps instead of the way they've been handling it since PS4 or even the PS3.) However, there may be some legalities still with how those old games were re-released, making a brand new mess of additional 10-year-old paperwork on top of the slow process of getting through the 25-year-old PS2 version paperwork. Primal being out right now on PSN one way doesn't make it instantly re-releaseable again a different way.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
It's not the emulator which is making most back-catalog releases difficult to put out there, it's all the legal and rights-handling issues. Back in the blitz time of PS Classics on PS3/PSP or Virtual Console releases, classic games were big business and companies rushed to get all that paperwork done and games re-published as quickly as possible, but that machine has slowed down for various reasons, and also there's not money anymore greasing the wheels.
but wouldn't this be a non-issue for sony owned/published games? couldn't sony at least just release those?...

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The version of Ace Combat 5 for PS4/5 included in special releases of Ace Combat 7 was a port, not an emulated copy of the PS2 game.
I'm about 95% sure it's a PS2 rom underneath - just like Parappa, Locoroco and Patapon on PS4 are actual PSP roms running PSP code.
Sony has a patent for this specific thing since early 2010s, if not earlier (I know the tech existed on PS3, and possibly even PSP) - emulation with asset replacement (and yes, obviously some homebrew emulation does this too, and might have been doing it even earlier, so validity of the patent is debatable - but that's true of 99% of software patents).

a bit like the fan-made decompilation work of Super Mario 64 or the Jak & Daxter engine, but I'm not sure how that could have been determined?)
The simple reason that's not very plausible is that they did it as pre-order bonus for a game - once. The cost of full decompilation work is up there with developing a whole game (I know of real projects that did this commercially and what it cost them) so it would never fly, and the only alternative is either runtime emulation or static recompile which is just precompiled binary with a statically linked emulator backend.
Now sure - Namco could roll out PS2 emulator on their own - but as you note- they never used it anywhere else - so that's suspect. Using Sony's framework that we know existed would explain the no other platforms bit at least.

Not a per-game emulator, but it's still a per-game wrapper, as in there is no OS-level support or separate emulator application.
I mean - fine - but that's semantics. It's 'not unlike saying PS2 had no PS2 native games because each game shipped with a 'per-game' wrapper (and they all did - there were no OS provisioned drivers - each game came with its own entire driver stack - without that - games can't even launch on PS2).

Also, the emulator probably has some per-game code to it, although that's usually from trying to use the previous version of the generic emulator and finding that this game used calls which were unusual and now cause the emulator to break, so it must now be accounted for.
As do most homebrew emulators, PCSX2 has like a million and one per-game compatibility hacks. Also this existed on commercial emulators as well - 360 had it, PS3 had it, PSP had such elements too.

There would have to be a new release of Primal, and you would need to re-download the entire package.
You mean - download a new version - like every update? ;) It's not like these PS2 packages haven't been updated before - they did it when PS4 Pro launched for instance. The one caveat is that with PSN entitlement mess - I am not sure if they can add a PS5 SKU to these or not(since this seems to be the approach for all other classics) - I think some PS4 titles have done so, so presumably yes - but who knows if then we'll lose access to the games or some stupid thing...

Curious why compatibility might not be as high as the PS3 one, when the PS5 has significantly faster hardware?
It was more compatible - not exactly better performing. Most of these PS2 titles on PS4 run significantly faster than original hardware - bugs/issues aside. On PS3 - I don't recall anything running particularly better.

Last edited:

CamHostage

The thing that always irked me about this thing was that Sony offered this 'emulator engine with asset replacement' for other systems on PS4 - we literally had multiple PSP releases that way as well - no porting involved there. And the tech existed since PS3/PSP era (for other legacy systems). And that also vanished after 2016.

Are you talking the emulation approach used in the PS3 version of Monster Hunter Portable 3 HD?

I've always been curious about what that was and what it was capable of (and if it was ever cracked? I see a "psponps3" app mentioned for PS3 custom firmware but I'm not sure if it's the same application?) I have seen mention that it included texture packs as well as the documented other native PS3 features like SixAxis/DualShock support or sometimes 3D display, but I actually have never been able to confirm that texture packs were included in the release? The HD version had clear visual improvements, and I always thought that a texture pack was what Sony was describing when they announced the PSP Remaster line, but when I look at the games, it seems a lot like the PS3 emulator did the enhancement (underneath the UI, which is important, and the UI is still the blocky PSP material which further indicates that assets were not replaced) rather than new assets. I looked to see if hackers have ripped the PS3 "texture pack" and patched it into new emulated versions of MH3P, but I see conflicting info as to whether those textures ever actually existed.

*BTW, I'm greatly disappointed even today that the whole PSP Remaster initiative went nowhere; it also never "came to Vita", if that were to be a thing. We never got any of the six games released through it in America on PS3, and although a few game developers made their games playable on PS3, games like MGS Portable Ops or Resistance Retribution oddly didn't use this tool and had their own feature systems. Could have been a great feature IMO.
(For posterity, the PS3 games which used PSP Remaster were the Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky trilogy aka TotS, SC, and The Third, K-ON! Ho-kago Live, and Dynasty Warriors Multi-Raid 2 aka StrikeForce 2.)

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
*I'm also greatly disappointed that the whole PSP Remaster initiative went nowhere.
Princess Crown, LocoRoco 1 and 2, Patapon 1 and 2, PaRappa the Rapper, and Castlevania Requiem (and maybe more that I'm forgetting), all on PS4, were pretty similar all around.

CamHostage

I'm about 95% sure it's a PS2 rom underneath - just like Parappa, Locoroco and Patapon on PS4 are actual PSP roms running PSP code.

Could be, but Namco insists its a port, and some investigations into the app describe it as its own thing. But I don't know what's really been pulled apart and investigated versus what gets entered into "internet knowledge" from chuckleheads like me repeating what's been reported on other forums.

I would guess that the original, compiled PS2 ISO is included in the wrapper and then the new hardware would have its own ported shell application version of the game which would pull from the original assets but run them through the modern hardware protocols or underneath the new version of the game engine... but then, I'm kind of imagining exactly what an "emulator" is anyway, so never mind.

The simple reason that's not very plausible is that they did it as pre-order bonus for a game - once. The cost of full decompilation work is up there with developing a whole game (I know of real projects that did this commercially and what it cost them) so it would never fly, and the only alternative is either runtime emulation or static recompile which is just precompiled binary with a statically linked emulator backend.

Agreed, but it happens, right? There are "ported" classic games out there recompiled from either source or something. And source code is rarely kept in good shape to share (which is weird that gold-master PS2 code isn't archived with extreme care like film prints have been for the better part of a century, but that's how the world of coding goes.) I don't know why some game resurrection projects are almost impossible, others take a year of work, and others just get tossed out easily in freebie bonus discs, but we've seen all 3 cases.

(I came across the AC5 recompilation story when looking into the N64 Static Recompilation breakthrough news. I hear the Xbox emulation releases of 360 games are recompiled applications too, but I really don't know how well that's documented. There were a couple commercial releases pointed to as examples of manually decompiled or statically recompiled works, as well as many, many professional testimonials and progress reports as to why compiled code is too much work for what it's worth.)

Now sure - Namco could roll out PS2 emulator on their own - but as you note- they never used it anywhere else - so that's suspect. Using Sony's framework that we know existed would explain the no other platforms bit at least.

...But it doesn't explain why it runs differently, and has features which Sony doesn't offer with its emulator.

Unfortunately, it's hard to look this stuff up because any historic searches I try to dig into give me results of PCSX2 or other homebrew stuff, so don't take it from me, but I've seen some people break down the AC5 case as its own project. It could well be that Namco just took its own pass at ps2_netemu and end of story, or it's something different.

Hohenheim

I have yet to play a ps2 game that doesn't work perfect on the Steam deck with the emudeck, so I personally see no value in this. But it's good that they at least make this stuff available on their own platform.

CamHostage

Princess Crown, LocoRoco 1 and 2, Patapon 1 and 2, PaRappa the Rapper, and Castlevania Requiem (and maybe more that I'm forgetting), all on PS4, were pretty similar all around.

Eh, sure, but not the same thing.

PSP Remaster was an official initiative that Sony launched, late in the PSP's run and before the PS Vita's release, which would bring PSP games to PS3. These were disc-based releases (though at that time they must have been downloadble too?) and they had enhancements for the PS3 release. "“PSP Remaster” titles will deliver rich and immersive gaming experience on the PS3 system through stunning high-definition graphics as well as through additional new features for these titles, such as operability on the PS3 Wireless Controller (SIXAXIS® and DUALSHOCK®3), new add-on content or stereoscopic 3D support*. Users will also be able to utilize the same save data from the original PSP game for the “PSP Remaster” version and enjoy the game on the go with the PSP system and continue the game at home on a large TV screen using PS3. Ad-hoc mode gameplay will also be supported through “adhoc party for PlayStation Portable” application on the PS3 system." These games were emulated on PS3 (thus the saves were perfectly compatible) but ran with visual enhancements and also had native console controller support.

Sony announced this initiative in 2011, and the flagship game was Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver.; five other games followed, but although we received the LoH: Trails in the Sky games on PSP (and we wanted MHP3 badly,) the PS3 versions never made it out of Japan. Sony also never remastered any existing PSP games using whatever the "PSP Remaster engine" was. PSP's last successful year outside of Japan was probably 2010 (when games like MGS Peace Walker, KH:BBS, and God of War GoS were released) and the PS Vita released at the end of 2011, so timing was very late, but PSP continued getting games in Japan for years afterwards. Some assumptions were that the PSP Remaster line might be in preparation for offering these same enhancements across both PS3 and PS Vita, but that feature never translated over to the new handheld hardware. Instead, it was just a strange technical experiment which was used in a few Japanese PS3 discs and then forgotten to time.

Sony did later on release a number of PSP games on PSN for play on PS4/5, but that's its own Classics program and its own unique emulator powering the games. (Also, there are no texture packs in those PS4 PSP releases, assuming PSP Remaster had texture packs included on the PS3 disc.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

but wouldn't this be a non-issue for sony owned/published games? couldn't sony at least just release those?...

You'd like to think so, but paperwork has a way of cutting deep into you...

For example, these PS2 for PS4/5 releases are running on a new emulator made by a 3rd Party company. Those guys have to get paid for their work, and they assumedly are getting paid right now for each game they implement and test and rerig and wrap up with their emulator. Now, Sony is as far as we know the maker of the previous emulator, but just assume it's someone else (or assume that Sony as a corporation is picky about who uses its proprietary tech without paying, even if it's Sony itself,) and think about the paperwork conflict there. Does Team A get paid a penny for every new Primal sale, or does Team B? And if you use Team B's emulator to run Team A's copy of the game, do both teams get a penny? And if the entire value to be paid out is two pennies, but contractually you have to send out those pennies, is it worth the effort to sort all this out?

That's a drastic version of the scenario which may not be happening... but then again, working in a business can really be that maddening and confounding in the paperwork roadblocks you encounter.

CamHostage

AH HA!!! I remembered the developer who made the recent PS1/PSP emulator for PS Classics.

I don't know if it's confirmed that Implicit Conversions did the PS2 emulator (their Syrup Engine supposedly can; it can also use plugins on top of the base game emulator to translate features like Trophies, network play, and what looks to be remastered assets,) but it seems pretty likely.

RavageX

I'll just keep doing what I've been doing whenever I get the itch to play PS2 games....life is too short to sit and wait for them to get their act together.

This is from a Sony fan, but that seems to be changing daily.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Are you talking the emulation approach used in the PS3 version of Monster Hunter Portable 3 HD?
I think those received similar treatment (access to native system features and 'potentially' upgraded assets).
There were also a few PSP UMD releases that were a PS1 ISO wrapped into a PSP Binary (well before the firmware added emulation) - though I don't think those had any enhanced assets (Popolocrois, Harvest Moon and FF Tactics did this IIRC). The behavior is similar in that it redirects certain system calls (eg. save management) directly to PSP, a lot like those conversions on PS3 - and unlike what the 'classic' emulators did.

On PS4 at least the 1st party PSP remasters did this afaik (and they actually use updated textures) - note the list below predates PS5 by about 5 years, and the new classics by like - 7.

could be, but Namco insists its a port, and some investigations into the app describe it as its own thing.
I mean - the above examples are all presented as 'native' binaries on the disc(EBOOT.PBP) - you need to go a layer deeper, but no idea if anyone did this.
Namco's quote is kinda funny though - 'it's not a remaster, but it's a port with upscaling' - like... that's literally the commonly accepted definition of remasters :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Also recall Sony used that term for PS2 on PS4 more than once (remastered with uprendering) - it's all a bit of a mess of terms.

Some assumptions were that the PSP Remaster line might be in preparation for offering these same enhancements across both PS3 and PS Vita, but that feature never translated over to the new handheld hardware. Instead, it was just a strange technical experiment which was used in a few Japanese PS3 discs and then forgotten to time.
Well - the few tidbits of internal info I remember hearing back then (it's been 15+ years though so... memory lapses and all that) indicated they had a program running for legacy-hw 'remasters' (PSP, PS2, PS1 targets). But in the end how many publishers actually bothered to pick it up is another story - that's why I still suspect AC5 though as it behaves very much like these other conversions.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
These were disc-based releases
With the exception of Princess Crown and Patapon 2 (both which were kinda late to the party in 2020) PS4 remasters were disc-based releases too.
rK7e99e.jpeg

(Also, there are no texture packs in those PS4 PSP releases, assuming PSP Remaster had texture packs included on the PS3 disc.)
The SIE ones did have updated, 4K assets from what I know.
The initiative was very similar, anyway, the only difference is that the PS4 one was kept much more behind doors.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is great, hope they add PS3 titles asap, there are some I'd like to try without relying on shady iso sites since they're not being sold anymore in any modern platform

CamHostage

With the exception of Princess Crown and Patapon 2 (both which were kinda late to the party in 2020) PS4 remasters were disc-based releases too.
rK7e99e.jpeg

The SIE ones did have updated, 4K assets from what I know.
The initiative was very similar, anyway, the only difference is that the PS4 one was kept much more behind doors.

Well, shucks, happy to have been corrected!

semiconscious

Gold Member
You'd like to think so, but paperwork has a way of cutting deep into you...

For example, these PS2 for PS4/5 releases are running on a new emulator made by a 3rd Party company. Those guys have to get paid for their work, and they assumedly are getting paid right now for each game they implement and test and rerig and wrap up with their emulator. Now, Sony is as far as we know the maker of the previous emulator, but just assume it's someone else (or assume that Sony as a corporation is picky about who uses its proprietary tech without paying, even if it's Sony itself,) and think about the paperwork conflict there. Does Team A get paid a penny for every new Primal sale, or does Team B? And if you use Team B's emulator to run Team A's copy of the game, do both teams get a penny? And if the entire value to be paid out is two pennies, but contractually you have to send out those pennies, is it worth the effort to sort all this out?

That's a drastic version of the scenario which may not be happening... but then again, working in a business can really be that maddening and confounding in the paperwork roadblocks you encounter.
okay, i'm bailing right there...

while I understand what you're saying (mostly, anyway), i'm still thinking it's got more to do with sony arranging things so that you pay over & over, each gen, to play the games that you've already payed for previously than it does anything else (which, understanding the meaning of 'rentier capitalism', i can understand completely)...

CamHostage

while I understand what you're saying (mostly, anyway), i'm still thinking it's got more to do with sony arranging things so that you pay over & over, each gen, to play the games that you've already payed for previously than it does anything else (which, understanding the meaning of 'rentier capitalism', i can understand completely)...

If the only reason why Sony has arranged things this way is so that you will often need to pay over and over each gen to play the games you've already paid for, then they'd have all of those games out as soon as possible to get that cash machine rolling right away. But instead, they're releasing 3 games this month, and maybe 3 next month (or not? their PS1 and PSP output has not been steady.) They would also start with the big-selling hits.

Sony would surely love your money, and they would love it if you gave them money without them needing to spend time and money making something new for you to buy. Unfortunately, business does not move in such obvious ways some times...

Last edited:
The original PS2 emulation on PS3 (launch units with support at the OS level) worked because aspects of the PS2 chipset were included in the PS3 chipset; later versions of hardware-based BC cut out the Emotion Engine and RAMBUS memory but still kind of worked (although in my experience with actual hardware, both had issues like lag, I guess primarily because the game still had to go through the PS3 scaler and things just got messy.) The final PS2 emulation solution on PS3 was entirely software-based, through an emulation app wrapper labeled "ps2_netemu", and it was surprisingly capable (especially after hackers cracked it to work with games Sony never released on PSN), but it still always had problems. And then the PS2 emulator on PS4 labeled "ps2onps4" is said to be sort of a new version of ps2_netemu rather than a total rewrite for new hardware.

This new PS2 emulator for PS4/5 is created by a totally different studio (I can't remember their name, but they did the PS1/PSP emulation and also some Nintendo Switch work.) It's more modern, ideally has some improvements and features, but it's not produced internally by Sony, for better or worse in terms of compatibility.

Well if they have one for PS4, then presumably they can license this and run in BC mode at worst, or at best refactor the code to run natively on PS5.

Thanks for the detailed response, by the way.

It'd still be great if they could get this new emulator wrapped into the existing PS4 versions of PS2 Classics ASAP. (And technically if it was a standalone app, it would have been possible to write it so it'd ignore the existing old emulator wrapper and just yank the ISO through to the new emu app. I'm all Sony having dedicated PS platform emulator apps instead of the way they've been handling it since PS4 or even the PS3.) However, there may be some legalities still with how those old games were re-released, making a brand new mess of additional 10-year-old paperwork on top of the slow process of getting through the 25-year-old PS2 version paperwork. Primal being out right now on PSN one way doesn't make it instantly re-releaseable again a different way.

Good point.

I didn't consider this. You're probably right.

Paltheos

We won't get any of the really cool stuff. :messenger_frowning_

I wish Shadow Hearts wasn't locked on the PS2. My friend's been talking up those games for years.

semiconscious

Gold Member
If the only reason why you often need to pay over and over each gen to play the games you've already paid for, then they'd have all of those games out as soon as possible to get that cash machine rolling right away. But instead, they're releasing 3 games this month, and maybe 3 next month (or not? their PS1 and PSP output has not been steady) and they would start with the big-selling hits.

Sony would surely love your money, and they would love it if you gave them money without them needing to spend time and money making something new for you to buy. Unfortunately, business does not move in such obvious ways some times...
well, if they're trying to determine if this'll generate more premium subs, they likely don't want to over-commit, eh? to the extent that, if it don't appear to work? they can simply fall back on the 'traditional' method of distribution (ie, selling them}...

Agent X

Gold Member
Nobody is asking for 100 games a month.

We're arguing that they should have built up at least a larger up-front selection of maybe 20 - 30 titles to add to the service day one, after which they can incrementally add a small number of new titles each month thereafter.

They already have a little over 50 PS2 games available for PS4, which use the old emulator from 8 years ago. These appear to be using a newer emulation solution developed by Implicit Conversions. This is the group responsible for the recent wave of PS1 and PSP games on PS4/PS5, which include some new and desirable "quality of life" features like instant saving anywhere in the game, multiple save states, and the ability to rewind the last few minutes of your gameplay. Apparently, their new PS2 emulator also has these abilities.

As some others here have said, it would be good if they can retrofit some of the existing "PS2 Classics for PS4" into this new emulator, so they could utilize these benefits along with better performance on PS5. CamHostage CamHostage did a good job of describing some of the obstacles that stand in the way of this (and why this can't be accomplished "instantly"), but there's still reason to keep your fingers crossed and hope that it happens.

They should develop a universal emulator. They had one for the PS3 to run PS2 games. The PS5 is so far beyond PS2 in performance that even a poorly optimized emulator should be able to run most games at full speed.

They shouldn't be trying to provide game-by-game wrappers. It's wholly inefficient. If they can only dedicate the resources of a small team, then they should be working much smarter than this.

I had been hoping for a "universal" emulator for years. I fear that ship has sailed. If they wanted to offer this, they could have easily done so by now, even if the bulk of the games only ran at "baseline" performance without the snazzy added features.

Since that's off the table, the next best thing would be to at least match what Microsoft did with Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox One and Xbox Series X, where you could insert your original disc and download the "enhanced" game to your current console.

There's concern that if Sony did this, they might lose sales of a few of these games since users wouldn't be forced to "repurchase" the download. But, look at it another way, If you've got a compatible PS2 game disc lying around, you could download the "enhanced" version to your PS4 or PS5, allowing you to take a no-risk test drive of the emulator and see for yourself what benefits it offers. If it made a good enough impression, then it could encourage you to purchase digital copies of other PS2 games that you don't already own, to add to your collection.

CamHostage

well, if they're trying to determine if this'll generate more premium subs, they likely don't want to over-commit, eh? to the extent that, if it don't appear to work? they can simply fall back on the 'traditional' method of distribution (ie, selling them}...

But they don't need more data; they've been selling PS Classics on PSN for almost 20 years, and including PS Classics from PS1 and PSP has been part of the Premium Subscription model tiers from the very beginning. I don't think it's a mystery as to whether if they released God of Wars or Final Fantasies on through PS Plus in one big avalanche of hits, it would do better subs than a Prequel-era Star Wars and one of the Tomb Raiders and a Sly Cooper.

They did the avalanche of hits when they launched the tiers, BTW. And it included "a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play."

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Eager to see how well their new emulator works. Sly Cooper had some missing effects in the HD remaster so a proper version based on the PS2 original would make it the best place to play it.
I dunno, man. The new PCSX2 is pretty damned good. I play my ripped games and they look better than ever. You can even retexture the games and make them look even better. It hasn't been around too long, like a year+? But, if you own the games, can rip'em. I would go that route. I recently tried out Duckstation, too. Never going back to any other emu.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
This will be a thing for people who can't use PCSX2. I guess. I mean, it's a joke, but sure. Knock yourselves out.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I dunno, man. The new PCSX2 is pretty damned good. I play my ripped games and they look better than ever. You can even retexture the games and make them look even better. It hasn't been around too long, like a year+? But, if you own the games, can rip'em. I would go that route. I recently tried out Duckstation, too. Never going back to any other emu.
PCSX2 and Duckstation are both absurdly great, and utterly eliminate the need for Sony's non-service.

I’m betting that Sony’s emulation solution is still going to be complete ass. The PS1 emulation they have is questionable at best, and the PS2 games are broken on PS5. They haven’t even directly announced a new emulation solution, so I’m thinking it’s going to be the same shit tech they have for the current PS2 games.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
But they don't need more data; they've been selling PS Classics on PSN for almost 20 years, and including PS Classics from PS1 and PSP has been part of the Premium Subscription model tiers from the very beginning. I don't think it's a mystery as to whether if they released God of Wars or Final Fantasies on through PS Plus in one big avalanche of hits, it would do better subs than a Prequel-era Star Wars and one of the Tomb Raiders and a Sly Cooper.

They did the avalanche of hits when they launched the tiers, BTW. And it included "a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play."
well, in that case, why not dribble them out? gives them something to announce every month...

CamHostage

well, in that case, why not dribble them out? gives them something to announce every month...

A, you would still start with some major hits if the plan was a slow but nonstop flow of must-have games.

B, the PS2 library has enough titles to announce something every week if this iniative was full-bore. Same goes for the PS1 library before this.

There's no reason to believe that Sony has a torrent of titles ready to drop on consumers the minute PS+ Premium takes off. They have what they have, and everything else will take work and time to deliver... even though they already exist.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Better than dropping a few dozen at once, the delusional whiners being one month silent but then complain for the rest of eternity how much Premium sucks.
They could drop 10 games a month, and it would still take them over 35 years.
That's not even the entire library, either.

Audiophile

I just wanna see Silent Hill (PS1) & Silent Hill 2/3 (PS2) with some nice CRT filters.

Never played them and the PC versions look all wrong; wanna enjoy them in their original form as it seems so much more fitting to the visual style..

Currently contemplating getting hold of an OG PS2 + a Sony CRT to play all three; other option might be a retrotink with my LG OLED, but it feels like a lot to blow.

Sony's complete lack of competence and half-arsedness with BC is so irritating.

They should have flawless PS1/PS2 emulators on PS5 at this point and make PS Plus modular rather than tiered with add-on options for each PS1/PS2 providing both streaming and local/download play; and all games without major licensing issues should be on there with PAL/NTSC/NTSC-J options to all.

The PS5 UI and their site should have a voting system and leaderboard so that players can let Sony know what to prioritise when it comes to getting the remaining games with licensing or technical issues available digitally on the platform.

In addition, they could offer an ultra-low cost "PlayStation Legacy" console for budget and/or non-PS5 users that taps into these too - playing PS1/PS2 games both digitally locally or via streaming as well has having a CD/DVD drive for games not yet available. Plus, if they did a handheld and PSP/PSVita support too, that could tap into it as well. I think budget legacy system and a handheld especially are more conducive to getting people to play older, more rudimentary games. I also think BC will just be better utilised if it's extremely easy and streamlined. There's few PS1 or PS2 titles I'll jump through hoops to play, but if it's a case of "ooh, I'll just pop that on" cause it's right there in front of me, then I'd be more inclined to jump in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom