• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman

Banned
Big boys like Uncharted 4, TLoU2, God of War 4, GT7 and Horizon are gonna sell like hotcakes.

Its a shame that SSM new IP was cancelled and that RaD didn't deliver with The Order 1886, you had on job RaD. Not to Sillent Hills. PS4 is ripe for new(or old) IPs to flourish.

Sales will continue to be great, but I think we are going to see a PS5 release before it will get to 120 million. My guess would be VR is going to do well for Sony, but the cost of a PS4 and VR headset is going to stop it being a run away success.
I agree with everything you said. I'd just add that I don't think the PS4 sales will slow down much when the PS5 hits. I think we are about to enter into an era where consoles start acting more like computers. There will be full compatibility between the generations. At the time of the PS5 release the PS4 will simply become the lower cost version. It'll play just about all the same games (some high end VR could be the exception). The PS4's price will continue to drop and as it does it will reach a broader and broader audience, while the PS5 becomes the choice for enthusiasts.

BroBot

143082274952.gif

Awesome.

You're right, they will sell 1-2 million during Black Friday, even in Germany the price has fallen to 299 €
1TB version, 2 controllers & UC Collection
CUo4ZzRXIAE2taw.jpg:large

That is a great price that's only £210. Its a shame Sony are not offering a few more pack in game options in their Black Friday deals, I could see Until Dawn, Batman or Metal Gear shifting a lot of consoles at 300 Euros.

small44

But the console market is shrinking.

By all means I'm delighted for Sony and the PS4, love my PS4 and all previous PS consoles. But, when you tally up the hardware sales at the end of the gen, they'll be hugely down compared to last-gen.

PS4 is doing amazing, but can't make up for how comparatively poorly MS and Nintendo are doing.

only casual market is shrinking

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
And because PSN is always down none of the 30.2 million PS4's count as even a single MAU. Checkmate, atheists.

Turkoop

Banned
Just imagine.. GoW4, UC4, FFXV, FFVII Remake, TLG, Sony Bend Game, PS VR, Horizon, Nier Automata etc - All next year

6jZmVW0.gif

I think it's in reference to MS slowing the widening of the gap between PS4 and XB1 sales. If the rate the gap is slowing were to continue, the XB1 would eventually start to pass the PS4 in 9 years.

Kind of a silly point.

I'm talking about him saying that if the gap keeps widening then consumers will face a difficult choice. What's the difficult choice?

Just imagine.. GoW4, UC4, FFXV, FFVII Remake, TLG, Sony Bend Game, PS VR, Horizon, Nier Automata etc - All next year

I don't know about FF7 Remake or Sony Bend game, but the rest are quite possible. GOW4 is usually a March release. So I'm guessing it'll be 2017

Javin98

Banned
Ars has their article about it up, so can someone explain what this means

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ps4-sales-officially-pass-30-million/
LOL, I wouldn't read too much into articles regarding sales from that site. I'm assuming it's the same author as the previous ones too. The guy is just outright biased and seems to think the XB1 will finally catch up to the PS4 in sales eventually. I have no idea how Sony being on top is bad for consumers. Maybe some posters here who think Sony is getting complacent can explain. ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Listen here folks

The Plantation and PlayStation Pita combination is too hard to deny. You can't explain the success of the PS4 other than to it's bastard brother which sacrificed itself for the success of the bigger picture.

through_the_looking_t8p2z.jpeg

those are okay numbers. expected it to be 50 million at this point but beggars can't beg.
2016 needs to hurry up and release those games.

Corto

LOL, I wouldn't read too much into articles regarding sales from that site. I'm assuming it's the same author as the previous ones too. The guy is just outright biased and seems to think the XB1 will finally catch up to the PS4 in sales eventually. I have no idea how Sony being on top is bad for consumers. Maybe some posters here who think Sony is getting complacent can explain. ;)

I see what you did there... :p

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a sprint, it's a marathon, so I don't understand why people are celebrating 30.2 million PS4s being sold. That's obviously way too fast for its own good. It's going to run out of steam very soon, and the tortoise that is the Xbox One is going to catch up and eventually overtake it because it's taking its time and playing the long game. Just wait and see.

jaypah

Three

It's not a sprint, it's a marathon, so I don't understand why people are celebrating 30.2 million PS4s being sold. That's obviously way too fast for its own good. It's going to run out of steam very soon, and the tortoise that is the Xbox One is going to catch up and eventually overtake it because it's taking its time and playing the long game. Just wait and see.

"Does the candle of the working man that burns half as bright burn twice as long"

-ArsTotal

Caja 117

Great console have to say, the Vita integration is great, and I see myself slowly migrating all my purchases to the PS4, it reminds me very much of my times with the PS2.

Some comedy in the morning to start my day off right. Thanks.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I hope PS5 is totally backwards compatible with PS4 games, because I won't accept any excuse for current titles to not work on future Playstation consoles if all of the hardware is going to be based off of the same shit.

Trago

Damn good stuff. And now the race to 40 million begins. And then there's that killer 2016 lineup. No clue when this console will peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom