• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
No, seriously, I do recall that last year some people predicted 40 million sell-through, which I thought was insanely high and impossible. I can't find the posts now. I'm not lying about it. If anything, I might just be misremembering. lol

Regardless, I haven't seen anyone say that in a long time.

Could it have been people saying that for the end of the financial year, i.e. to March?

jayu26

Honestly my PS4 is collecting dust. I can't bring myself to play it, what with the lack of first party titles available. Everything else just doesn't matter. All those third party titles? Trash.
Kagari getting in on the troll comments. Just goes to show that there is little bit of Y2Kev in all t the mods.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about console sales any more?

There is literally no competition. Last gen spoiled us with all its ups and downs.

Nope, there are plenty more people just like you that do not care about sales. However, they simply ignored this sales thread because, well, they dont care about console sales.

I agree, games aren't worth playing if other consoles have them.

Personally, I bought a few exclusive titles but then realized they weren't made by Sony. Horrid mistake on my part.

So I never played them. Now my console and games sit there collecting dust. For all eternity.

It's almost depressing how poorly Xbox is doing.

XB1 is not selling badly, it just pales in comparison to the PS4. Just imagine the situation had MS not had all the "fire sales" last holiday season and pivoted 180 degrees on what the XB1 is today vs when it was announced (not to mention the fact that the only place that the XB1 is even competitive with PS4 is the U.S. -- and is still behind by between 800k and 1 million there!). Even with all of that, the PS4 still outsold XB1 by such a huge margin in 2015, but it could have been much much worse for MS.

Corto

I thought we all decided a long time ago that anything that isn't western and open world with guns and rpg elements isn't a real game

And indies. Indies are all no-games. It has to have the AAA big publisher corporation stamp of approval to be considered a game. The true gamers game.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Thanks Don Mattrick. Console war is obviously over for this gen, but Microsoft can still do right by their existing audience and get new fans. Not all that different from what Sony did last gen really. It does looks like that is what they are doing, so they can figure out what's next for Xbox.

Anyway, it's good that Sony has a hit, hopefully they don't plow all that money into garbage product lines like they did during PS2.

Isn't the pic fake though? As in the coloured parts were added, only the white ones were on the slides?

I've seen that picture countless times and I just assumed it was real. Oh well.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about console sales any more?

There is literally no competition. Last gen spoiled us with all its ups and downs.

No, you're not the only one. Last generation really nailed the fact that sales aren't the end-all, be-all that defines success in this industry, imho. The true measure of success is whether the PS4 can maintain the momentum and - more importantly - retain interest over the span of an entire generation, from the consumer to the developer. People's entertainment options have never been more diverse.

Not to take anything away from this achievement. Averaging 15M/year and doing better than the PS2 at a time when many people were saying console gaming is dead brings a smile to my face.

Honestly my PS4 is collecting dust. I can't bring myself to play it, what with the lack of first party titles available. Everything else just doesn't matter. All those third party titles? Trash.
Y2Kev has possessed Kagari, may god have mercy on our souls

Dragon

Banned

ffxiii_2_lightning_gif_by_feart3hxoxtaco-d4cxmlu.gif

Curufinwe

If someone wanted to collect all the hilariously wrong predictions from industry figures and games media for how this generation would go from 2012 and 2013 it would make for a very entertaining thread.

Ardenyal

I bought Bloodborne and was thoroughly enjoying it until i realized it's not a first party game. I feel sick now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ahh, warmed over "no games" arguments from the PS1 era. You guys bring me all the best nostalgia trolling.

XB1 is not selling badly, it just pales in comparison to the PS4. Just imagine the situation had MS not had all the "fire sales" last holiday season and pivoted 180 degrees on what the XB1 is today vs when it was announced (not to mention the fact that the only place that the XB1 is even competitive with PS4 is the U.S. -- and is still behind by between 800k and 1 million there!). Even with all of that, the PS4 still outsold XB1 by such a huge margin in 2015, but it could have been much much worse for MS.

Xbox as a brand would be dead by now without the 180 and a new nextgen MS console would've been very improbable.

Sjefen

So many trolls, they come in every colors

7907166.gif

Seriously are people still complaining about games, I cant tell anymore?

kadotsu

Banned

Just wait, backwards compatibility has just been in the wild for a few weeks. The gap should close by the end of the year with it.

And the biggest juggernaut of the best lineup in xbox history™, Fable Legends, has yet to be released.

Its not selling well though, the estimates are its already fallen behind the PS3, and next year will be behind the 360.

DavidDesu

Fantastic. Pleased for them. Consumers spoke during the pre launch point phase and Microsoft screwed themselves completely in a multitude of ways. Underpowered, trying to force no second hand sales etc. Sony have done everything about as right as they could have. I'm VERY excited for PSVR, I think PS4's success will help make it the spearhead VR device for the masses (when we talk of VR more complex than what the relatively passive Gear VR can do).

I truly think PSVR could be at millions of units sold by next Xmas. Which if it happens would be a huge success in the face of the naysayers. I see no reason why, other than a ludicrously high price which no rational person expects to be the case. If anything I expect Sony to surprise us with a price possibly a touch lower than many expect, as they did initially with the PS4, remember many were expecting $500/£400.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have so many PS4 games it's insane. I recently bought an Xbox but still pick the better version if there is one and if they are even I still get it on PS4. The screenshot button right on the controller is my killer app this generation. I like going back and looking at my photos later on.

Great system and very well deserved.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
to look at it another way, the ps3 is 9 years old and it's still $249.99 at retail. consoles really aren't supposed to drop by a lot in a short amount of time anymore.

With the Cell processor and the RAM it has, no wonder the price can't come down that much.

The PS4 will be hitting $199 by the end of 2018.

Crayon

It's possible that this is just the beginning and the ps4 finds a non-gaming audience as a vr-appliance in the future. This has been a perfect storm for sony.

Will be an insane number at the end of the year. I was at Best Buy last night picking up a new tv and they had the stack of ps4s and Xbox ones first thing as you walked in and both piles were absolutely massive. I'm sure Sony expects to sell a ton at $300.

DavidDesu

It's possible that this is just the beginning and the ps4 finds a non-gaming audience as a vr-appliance in the future. This has been a perfect storm for sony.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting. Honestly once people demo VR to their non gaming friends, and show them live sports or music gigs in VR, plus the cool fun multiplayer games, I think PSVR, and PS4 by default, will fly off the shelves even faster. Sony have made all the right noises and they've purposefully not shown off all the non game related apps they have up their sleeves, I expect there will be a lot. They could have a huge hit on their hands and be the leading VR purveyor to the average member of the public.

Every time I see these sales numbers, although I really have no dog in this fight, I can't help but think how well Sony did from the first with the PlayStation 4. They hit all the right notes and the sales are there.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

My PS4 got good use last October due to Tales of Zestiria and Dragon Quest Heroes (a surprisingly decent game) but it won't get much use now until SO5 hits.

Wonder how much money they make with controllers.

They are expensive as fuck and everyone needs basically two of them because of the shitty battery life and really low quality.

I guess they cost Sony almost nothing to produce, margins must be extremely high. They probably make more money off a controller than a system.

Wonder how much money they make with controllers.

They are expensive as fuck and everyone needs basically two of them because of the shitty battery life and really low quality.

I guess they cost Sony almost nothing to produce, margins must be extremely high. They probably make more money off a controller than a system.

Accessories always have high profit margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom