• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
He just proved my point without MS Sony would have had free reign to charge whatever they wanted for an overpriced kit with next to no features and without Sony MS would have been compelled to force a 'design by committee ' console that was draconian with its drm and offering shit features no one wanted
What overpriced kit? Did Sony in the reality from which you visit not lose billions of dollars on the PS3 because they sold it below cost?

It was a piece of shit architectural mistake and should be treated as such. Not this nonsense "out to get you" conspiracy stupidity.

The best this industry ever is is when they're both fighting for out business
Entertainment is big. There aren't just two companies vying for your love.

What overpriced kit? Did Sony in the reality from which you visit not lose billions of dollars on the PS3 because they sold it below cost?

It was a piece of shit architectural mistake and should be treated as such. Not this nonsense "out to get you" conspiracy stupidity.

The only people "out to get you" are MS. You should see the spying shit they have enabled by default in Windows 10. You have to go and disable stuff in like 6 different places to stop almost all the spying on you that's enabled by default when you install Win10.

FATALITY

Banned
People have proven it's about power now. Get the most powerful box for the best price and you win. I doubt ms will have the weaker console next gen. They have the money to blow on making sure the hardware is key and no silly kinect junk

they also had money when they launched xbox1 :p

FATALITY

Banned
I was thinking about some stupid mistakes like making the DriveClub PS+ Edition upgrade expire along the PS+ subscription, which they backed out from quickly when they saw people wouldn't buy it.
Another example was the ridiculous push of their own music streaming service. Later, they got smarter and arranged a deal with Spotify instead.

Overall, they've picked up on every potential fuckup pretty quickly and backed out accordingly.

Easy on the SonyToo(tm) accusations, guys. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists. Not all anti-consumer practices are as big as or related to aggressive DRM.

hey guys
if you dont know
this is an example of "tales from my ass"

Mahonay

Banned
Wasn't this shown to not be the case a long time ago? They never had online DRM planned at any point but they did have to rewrite their conference to make sure they mentioned they weren't doing it because there was a lot of "Sony too" flying about at the time.
I'd like to see some kind of proof of their original plans one way or the other.

The general sense for a while was that Sony pulled out of some form of DRM after they saw the Xbox One blow up in Microsoft's face. But for sure it can be just as likely that it was just easy ammo for them in their E3 conference and simply nailed home the point.

FranXico

hey guys
if you dont know

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/9/5699650/driveclub-ps-plus-edition-upgrade-full-game-reversal

http://www.vg247.com/2014/05/09/driveclub-video-explains-differences-between-blu-ray-and-playstation-plus-editions/

http://www.destructoid.com/driveclub-ps-plus-edition-s-full-game-upgrade-is-no-longer-terrible-274592.phtml

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/news/sony_drops_subscription_requirements_for_upgraded_driveclub_ps_plus_edition.html

Yeah, I made all of this up. All in my head. That never happened.

nah. the whole idea is that the more casually you just throw out 'sony, too', the more 'factual' it simply becomes :) ...

And casually accusing people without context makes it okay?

Actually he's right about both of those, and I say that with absolutely no bias for either system at heart.

I even remember the first one quite clearly. Wasn't that long ago.

Thank you.

I'd like to see some kind of proof of their original plans one way or the other.

The general sense for a while was that Sony pulled out of some form of DRM after they saw the Xbox One blow up in Microsoft's face. But for sure it can be just as likely that it was just easy ammo for them in their E3 conference and simply nailed home the point.

You stated they had plans as a fact.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Exactly. And if that wasn't enough, I seem to recall, even before E3 2013, Sony making statements that confirmed that they had no plans for DRM. I'll look it up, just to be sure.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Do you have some numbers to spare, Tolu? I thought XB1 would be behind X360 in a few months.

What numbers exactly?

anyway, in the US, the PS4 has sold a total of 9,303,000 unit as for October 2015, while the XB1 is at 8,452,000 unit in the same month.
Both are over they'r predecessor, in fact PS3 was at 5,685,000 unit after 24 months, while the 360 was at 7,122,000 unit.

About UK, i don't remember the PS3, but the 360 was at 1.4 million unit sold during the Halo 3 weeks, and XB1 should be close to 2 million now.
PS4 has surpassed 2 million back in May 2015.

Yazzees

30 million? But a wise man with a pepe avatar told me console gaming is dead. He even threw in some homophobic slurs for no apparent reason, so he must've been right.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The general sense for a while was tha Sony pulled out after they saw the Xbox One blow up in Microsoft's face.
To this day you can't update the firmware fully offline on Xbox One.
You could do this day one on the PS4.

There was never a reason to include the firmware on Xbone discs while the plan and the architecture was set up for that case on PS4.

Wait, you can't download XBO firmware to a usb stick or something and update that way?
If it's possible then that's some NXE thing and I haven't kept up. But firmware had to be proxied via a PC with internet if you wanted to do what the PS4 supported since launch day.
More important than USB-sticks is the necessary firmware of a game title is included on the disc that requires it.

There was never a reason to include the firmware on Xbone discs while the plan and the architecture was set up for that case on PS4.

Wait, you can't download XBO firmware to a usb stick or something and update that way?

hey guys
if you dont know

Actually he's right about both of those, and I say that with absolutely no bias for either system at heart.

I even remember the first one quite clearly. Wasn't that long ago.

That said none of it means anything at the end of the day; Sony's at 30 million, Microsoft's well below that. But both are profiting much more from their respective systems than their predecessors at this point in their lifecycles.

Mahonay

Banned

I do remember now hearing about the Xbox team having to work day and night to reverse some of those big DRM features announced initially.

pr0cs

My mistake for making it sound like outright fact. I should have said "thought they had plans".
It's pretty much common knowledge that they had similar plans, Tom's, polygon, ps4daily, famitsu all have articles suggesting that Shu changed directions after they saw all the backlash

If it's possible then that's some NXE thing and I haven't kept up. But firmware had to be proxied via a PC with internet if you wanted to do what the PS4 supported since launch day.
More important than USB-sticks is the necessary firmware of a game title is included on the disc that requires it.
Damn. That's messed up.
I do remember now hearing about the Xbox team having to work day and night to reverse some of those big DRM features announced initially.
They should have just flipped a switch :p

chadskin

February 2013 shortly after the PS4 reveal:

Stemming fears of the always-online requirement still rumored strongly for the next Xbox, a Sony PR rep confirmed to Kotaku that: "PS4 games will be playable without an Internet connection."
In an interview with Eurogamer at yesterday's big PS4 unveiling in New York, Sony's head of worldwide game studios, Shuhei Yoshida said, of PS4 gaming, "Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."
At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.
http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always-online-connection

xaosslug

Sony will be vaporized, that's all I know.
Sony will be 2nd or maybe even 1st if Nintendo ends up messing up.
Dream big
which part is a dream?
Sony even being alive 6 years from now, let alone 1st or 2nd.
I am willing to have a friendly bet with anyone that they will be around in 6 years.

amazing, LOL

Kayant

It's pretty much common knowledge that they had similar plans, Tom's, polygon, ps4daily, famitsu all have articles suggesting that Shu changed directions after they saw all the backlash

No it isn't and Demonite confirmed as much last year or so. They have a DRM plan prior to the announcement I think kokatu had the rumour but changed long before the PS4 was announced in February,

Edit -

Plus Shu. Thanks chadskin.

MS wasn't stupid. Consumers just were not ready for their vision yet.
Next gen they will finally understand.

I mean the messaging though. Starting with TV and turning people off right off the bat. All they needed to do imo was push gaming and show how Kinect could be useful in regard to games, like record that, pause tv, take a pic etc. But they chose to focus on multimedia and alienated gamers from the start. If you dont have the gamers on a gaming console, you lose. Thats not the vision, that stupidity. The ideas were fine, the messaging was shit.

Stanng243

Those comments are pure gold.
"If Sony isn't going to expect you to always be online, I doubt that Microsoft will. So I'll take this as confirmation for the next Xbox too."

"If Microsoft don't announce their Xbox before E3 - I'd pretty much say it's safe they are "reworking" the new Xbox based on what Sony announced recently

Aka: removing them 'features'"

gtj1092

I went to my Best Buy to pick up something and I saw their Black Friday setup. Way more PS4s on sale than Xbox Ones. It seems like they're going to end up running out of the $300 Xbox Ones by virtue of them having a bunch of the Tomb Raider bundles.

CUrx8GlVEAAk5wo.jpg

Joke is on bestbuy heard that $299 UC bundle is a horrible deal ;-).

Behlel

MS wasn't stupid. Consumers just were not ready for their vision yet.
Next gen they will finally understand.
Next gen will be the same as always, the always online thing is an idiotic view because you cut off a lot of people, just like the only digital consoles.

Darknight

amazing, LOL

Was the Wii still selling gangbusters on 2012? Is that why people expected Nintendo to be 1st and Sony last? Since when is the casual market a sure thing? That rarely is a thing and people should never think the next system in line will be "1st".

Like it can be said Xbox2 could slam the PS5 next gen. Its never a sure thing. Could happen, doesnt mean it will based on this gen.

Nafai1123

Banned

In an interview with EuroGamer, Sony's Yoshida takes a different approach. He comments, "Do you want us to do that?"

When the interviewer replied that the customer expects to get some value that they can pass on when they buy the game (and effectively pay a licensing fee to the console maker), Mr. Yoshida voiced agreement.

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers. They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation... So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

That statement was made in February 2013. All the sources you cite are using this quote and extrapolating what they want from it.

"There were lots of people who gave their opinions on that issue to my Twitter account before E3," SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Famitsu magazine this week. "It's not that our hardware policies are decided strictly based on user reaction like this, but when we were thinking about what we had to bring across and how to bring it across, it was a very useful source."

Not exactly a clear cut admission that they had the same DRM plans is it?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I went to my Best Buy to pick up something and I saw their Black Friday setup. Way more PS4s on sale than Xbox Ones. It seems like they're going to end up running out of the $300 Xbox Ones by virtue of them having a bunch of the Tomb Raider bundles.

CUrx8GlVEAAk5wo.jpg

I see they're using last year's Wii U boxes to help support the columns of Xboxes and Playstations.

FranXico

I guess you're joking but I would have preferred Microsoft to stick to it, see how things panned out.

If they actually launched with those policies still in, it would have been a much bigger disaster than it already was. No amount of "Get the Facts" propaganda would save them.

stryke

CUrx8GlVEAAk5wo.jpg

uncharted codes are going to be so cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom