• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

I went to my Best Buy to pick up something and I saw their Black Friday setup. Way more PS4s on sale than Xbox Ones. It seems like they're going to end up running out of the $300 Xbox Ones by virtue of them having a bunch of the Tomb Raider bundles.

CUrx8GlVEAAk5wo.jpg

My only goal is to go into BB and get Until Dawn. But I am going to be making the rounds at Walmart, and Target as well. Just to see how things are going and hopefully score some Star Wars Black series figures.

FATALITY

Banned
It's pretty much common knowledge that they had similar plans, Tom's, polygon, ps4daily, famitsu all have articles suggesting that Shu changed directions after they saw all the backlash

no it wasnt the media back then was so pro ms that they made shit up. i many article we saw that always online wasnt so bad. and all those meltdown from gies were the best.

Kyoufu

It's pretty much common knowledge that they had similar plans, Tom's, polygon, ps4daily, famitsu all have articles suggesting that Shu changed directions after they saw all the backlash

I'd like to see these Tom's Hardware, Polygon, ps4daily and Famitsu articles.

Heimbeck

Banned
Bloodborne is a Sony owned IP created by a Third Party company with Japan Studio's (Sony's) help. Thus, doesn't matter who creates it, the IP will always belong to Sony. There is no such thing as a "Second Party" IP. It's either owned by the manufacturer or published by them and owned by a Third Party company.

First and Third Party refers to the company, not the intellectual property.

Oh, my bad then. Sorry about that.

I usually don't check to see post histories or whatnot, but I wanted to see if they still posted here. They do. And funnily enough, they actually posted something last week that I remember seeing (just didn't know it was attributed to them). They were saying that PS2 emulation was only happening because of XB1's BC solution and Sony would have done nothing regarding emulation/BC had MS not revealed theirs at E3. Really!? It was pretty much well known (by those who followed it) that Sony was working on bringing PS1 and PS2 classics to PS4 with trophy support. It was reported way back in January by Euorgamer.

I imagine it would have taken them longer from E3 to now to get it all ready, so yeah that is weird.
that whole thread is hilarious though, that one just stuck out because of the arrogance.

Lol Gez is a good dude but that prediction was awful.

It will be funny when Uncharted 4 has a higher first month sales than Halo 5 in the US of all places. Than you have Gears which no one cares about anymore and Forza which was never big, and you have to ask, which first party do people not give a shit about :p.

I would maybe wait until Uncharted actually releases before you start saying stuff like this, especially since we're laughing at a previous thread of bad predictions.

No it wasnt common knowledge. It was a bunch of fud from MS nuthuggers (kuchera, et al) trying to do damage control.

Oxn

I have three, a normal, 20th anniversary, and gold TB ps4.

I have the 20th and a white one. Gonna sell off the white one because of the eject bug.

Are all your ps4s unboxed and being used?

Is the taco bell ps4 the new ps4 with the hard power and eject buttons?

Raist

Banned
I don't doubt for a second that there were discussions within Sony about DRMs and whatnot. But thinking that it was definitely planned and was pulled at the 11th hour because of the backlash towards the XB1 is a bit of a stretch.

I don't doubt for a second that there were discussions within Sony about DRMs and whatnot. But thinking that it was definitely planned and was pulled at the 11th hour because of the backlash towards the XB1 is a bit of a stretch.

There was never anything said about that from their camp, save for they would follow ps3 policies.

Fat4all

Banned

There's a lot of stuff planned but never implemented, but we absolutely have no evidence other than hearsay that Sony was planning anything similar to Microsoft plans. Maybe if they had a detailed patent released, but all we have is "MCDONALDS!" and the Bicycle Kick-Man, and those never made it through the idea stages obviously.

Have you looked at the planned releases for next year by Sony. It looks pretty good.

Yup, I just hope we get more of that because I was specifically mentioning this year as been lackluster in terms of exclusives(not console exclusives but PS4 exclusives) when compared to the Xbox One and this is coming from a guy who enjoyed The Order 1886.

So you had a pretty fun year... next one Uncharted 4?

Pretty much, Gravity Rush Remaster in February as well depending if they changed or added alot to it then I'd get it.

ooh.. new spin on the "no software" meme. I like it!!!

/s

836.gif

Dreams is literally the most inventive game I see coming out in 2016 (well, hopefully 2016) and easily up there w/ some of the more creative output they had near the end of PS3, and PS2 and PS1.

Same with Tomorrow Children and Horizon. And even Detroit (I hate that title tho). The latter two probably won't make it out in 2016 tho.

Yup, I'm picking dreams as soon as it releases. I just hope we get more of these announcements and games soon instead of more remasters.

zewone

Console is great but first party software wise a letdown for now. So I really don't get how it's selling so much. Congrats to them anyways.
Next year it's going to explode
Cheaper than its competition (initially) with better hardware. 1st party support has been lackluster on both sides so if 3rd party games are the only games to worry about, you'll go where you can get better visuals for cheaper.

N.Domixis

Banned
I have the 20th and a white one. Gonna sell off the white one because of the eject bug.

Are all your ps4s unboxed and being used?

Is the taco bell ps4 the new ps4 with the hard power and eject buttons?

I only use the black one, I don't need to use the other two, they will be my backups if I ever need another ps4, don't plan on selling them.

Corto

All those articles that state that Shu said that Sony backed away from a DRM policy similar to the Xbox One are all referencing each other, with click bait titles with no support on the text of the article or a Famitsu article where Shu only said that the reaction backlash to the Xbox One unveil helped Sony marketing. There's no admittance in any article that Sony had plans to a similar DRM scheme that were changed in a hurry after the complete clusterfuck of Microsoft Xbox One reveal. And even if it was indeed true that Sony had such plans and really did a 180 pre release they would never admit it afterwards.

ViciousDS

Banned
I went to my Best Buy to pick up something and I saw their Black Friday setup. Way more PS4s on sale than Xbox Ones. It seems like they're going to end up running out of the $300 Xbox Ones by virtue of them having a bunch of the Tomb Raider bundles.

CUrx8GlVEAAk5wo.jpg

hahahaha

I've already seen kids shoved into display stands over game prices at Walmart.....that looks like a fucking disaster waiting to happen. That's a lot.....and I mean a lot of consoles though

Especially since the source of the "common knowledge" was almost entirely people trying to defend Microsoft's plan. Sony too(tm) and all that.

Also, Shuhei Yoshida isn't the one who calls the shots. Andrew House and maybe even Kaz Hirai do. Shuhei only deals with the first party studios. He's just a very affable person on Twitter and is very responsive to questions asked.

Wasn't Adam Sessler one of the worst in that regard?

From what I recall, he took issue with the way review coverage was being handled. Rev3 Games where he worked at the time, was relatively small scale and they did not have a PS4 in the office to review yet (I believe other bigger sites possibly did, but I'm not sure). There was a review event in NYC. He took issue, claiming they were threatening the livelihood of the Rev3 Games employees, or something along those lines by not having PS4s to review in the office. More on more sites seem to be pushing back against review events. Some prefer just to wait until whatever it is releases and review it then.

And added in a PS2 to boot. Still one of my favorite consoles of all time. The day my 60gb dies I'll probably hold a funeral ceremony and mourn.

Mine is still chugging, but it no longer reads disks. I've seen replacement Blu-Ray players for $60. Right now, it is a digital only box.

Shin-Ra

Yup, I'm picking dreams as soon as it releases. I just hope we get more of these announcements and games soon instead of more remasters.
Of SCE WWS's announced games only, I count 4 remasters and remakes including Ratchet & Clank and Beyond: Two Souls which just released, 15 new IPs and 9 sequels including stuff like PlayRoom VR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood which are still pretty fresh.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
MS wasn't stupid. Consumers just were not ready for their vision yet.
Next gen they will finally understand.

I highly doubt anyone but you and a handful of others will understand and accept a digital-only Xbox several years from now, either.

And a lot of copies of TLoU Remastered. Super smart, I'd say.

I don't understand this. If it's meant to be a jab, then it fell flat.

Melchiah

Like it can be said Xbox2 could slam the PS5 next gen. Its never a sure thing. Could happen, doesnt mean it will based on this gen.

Sony would have to screw up more than they did with the PS3 for that to happen in Europe. NA is the only question mark, as it could go both ways.

Boke1879

hahahaha

I've already seen kids shoved into display stands over game prices at Walmart.....that looks like a fucking disaster waiting to happen. That's a lot.....and I mean a lot of consoles though

It's crazy too. Because I'm sure anyone who wants a console WILL get one. No need for all that crazy pushing and shoving shit.

He's saying that Xbox would have to keep up this level of growth until 2024 to start outselling PS4 on an annual basis, not that Xbox will outsell PS4 on an annual basis in 2024.
that's really stupid. It's a projection that has no logic behind it. Why do we keep linking his articles anyway? These things are obviously done for clicks, this guy isn't stupid, but just says stupid things to get people posting.

Boke1879

Also, Shuhei Yoshida isn't the one who calls the shots. Andrew House and maybe even Kaz Hirai do. Shuhei only deals with the first party studios. He's just a very affable person on Twitter and is very responsive to questions asked.

From what I recall, he took issue with the way review coverage was being handled. Rev3 Games where he worked at the time, was relatively small scale and they did not have a PS4 in the office to review yet (I believe other bigger sites possibly did, but I'm not sure). There was a review event in NYC. He took issue, claiming they were threatening the livelihood of the Rev3 Games employees, or something along those lines by not having PS4s to review in the office. More on more sites seem to be pushing back against review events. Some prefer just to wait until whatever it is releases and review it then.

Sessler really kinda put me off during that whole thing. I respect him as a voice in the industry but he pretty much threw a tantrum over that.

Game Guru

If I remember right, at best, people assumed that Sony would also have similar plans for PS4 because XB1's DRM plans were such a blatantly anti-consumer move that it would've harmed the console severely if the PS4 didn't have similar DRM plans in place. And guess what, it did harm the XB1 severely enough to cause MS to do a 180 on the whole thing. It should be clear that assumptions are not actual statements from Sony, and Sony wisely kept mum on the issue once they saw the backlash MS was getting from the rumors so they could make a huge deal about it at E3, but prior to that realization, Sony was like "Of course not!" to those sorts of DRM plans.

Of SCE WWS's announced games only, I count 4 remasters and remakes including Ratchet & Clank and Beyond: Two Souls which just released, 15 new IPs and 9 sequels including stuff like PlayRoom VR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood which are still pretty fresh.

Yeah 2016 looks to be a much better year than 2015 in terms of PS4 exclusive. I was specifically talking about 2014 and this year. Here's hoping the games don't get delayed to no end or anything.

Hot. Damn.

We're not even at Black Friday yet...or christmas...or boxing day..

mighty impressive.

edit: uncharted, GT, GoW, and TLG still on the horizon too...

If I remember right, at best, people assumed that Sony would also have similar plans for PS4 because XB1's DRM plans were such a blatantly anti-consumer move that it would've harmed the console severely if the PS4 didn't have similar DRM plans in place. And guess what, it did harm the XB1 severely enough to cause MS to do a 180 on the whole thing. It should be clear that assumptions are not actual statements from Sony, and Sony wisely kept mum on the issue once they saw the backlash MS was getting from the rumors so they could make a huge deal about it at E3, but prior to that realization, Sony was like "Of course not!" to those sorts of DRM plans.

Yep it was a big case of Sony Too .
The games media leading up to X1\PS4 launch was the worst i have ever seen in all my years of gaming .
Sony Too , res don't matter , etc etc .

Next year should be PS4 peak year since i don't see another year being as good if everything comes out on time .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom