• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! and yea sure input delay....uh huh...sure thing boss.

FIRST OFF!!! welcome to the thread :)

Secondly that was an old build from the previous closed beta and I think all fighting games look boring even Smash on video with no context. It's the excitement from the players and the people watching that make it exciting. Imagine watch a pro sport in an empty stadium, especially baseball. SORRY BASEBALL FANS!! But let's face you have to have a few beers and some friends to really enjoy baseball. lol

Baseball would be boring even if both teams were only composed of clowns.

I still can't believe how they butchered the loco roco stage. It looks SO good, and then they randomly pop some mp4 from Metal GearRising in the background? Wtf. It looks so cheap and tacky

I get they are trying to have clashes, but at least do it where there is some visual logic. Why not have a Metal Gear fight Hades in the Hades level and something like the Patapon in the loco roco level? These clashes make more sense and keep a visual consistency to the stage at least

They need to compromise and unify the art style somehow next time and get a visual director who thinks things through better.

Mzo

How so, breh? I'm not here to bag on you for the sake on nut-hugging this game. I'm genuinely curious. We may be able to clarify some things for you.

If it's just the graphics, they look much better in motion when you play it.

Well, the way it looks is part of it. That weird glow outline characters had (I assume to represent their meter level) was pretty ugly. Some of the backgrounds were pretty neat. The character art on the select screen was just abysmal though, good lord. Fat Princess and Parappa look horrible horrible horrible compared to how they should.

I don't think I'm sold on the super meter kills mechanic as opposed to the traditional ring outs. It was weird how Fat Princess just gets three kills, the end, but other people have the ability to do more with the meter depending on luck and skill. Does she gain meter faster to compensate? And there was no way I could see of keeping track of score before the round ended. That's kind of weird. The UI as a whole felt pretty barebones. Just character portraits and boring bars. They should shake a bit or toss out some sparks or do something as you level.

A lot of the effects weren't very impressive, like Sly's level 3. I guess it's an early beta that's missing some polish? I dunno.

If it's any good someone I know will end up with it and I'll play it someday, but I was taken aback by what I felt was a lack of polish and personality in a game that I assume Sony is putting a lot of money and time behind. I expected it to be way more charming than it looked.

SSReborn

Well, the way it looks is part of it. That weird glow outline characters had (I assume to represent their meter level) was pretty ugly. Some of the backgrounds were pretty neat. The character art on the select screen was just abysmal though, good lord. Fat Princess and Parappa look horrible horrible horrible compared to how they should.

I don't think I'm sold on the super meter kills mechanic as opposed to the traditional ring outs. It was weird how Fat Princess just gets three kills, the end, but other people have the ability to do more with the meter depending on luck and skill. Does she gain meter faster to compensate? And there was no way I could see of keeping track of score before the round ended. That's kind of weird. The UI as a whole felt pretty barebones. Just character portraits and boring bars. They should shake a bit or toss out some sparks or do something as you level.

A lot of the effects weren't very impressive, like Sly's level 3. I guess it's an early beta that's missing some polish? I dunno.

If it's any good someone I know will end up with it and I'll play it someday, but I was taken aback by what I felt was a lack of polish and personality in a game that I assume Sony is putting a lot of money and time behind. I expected it to be way more charming than it looked.

Yeah your watching Gameplay from a really old build which Superbot themselves said they were iffy on releasing as a beta because they considered it a tech demo for the internal team. Anyhow there have been a lot of newer builds for the game since that intitial beta and there is another beta right now that has implemented some of those changes and improvements

Here is some more recent gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Hd6-zjvxg

Here is another Giant Bomb gameplay that is more recent as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yazXKFTHqO8

I still can't believe how they butchered the loco roco stage. It looks SO good, and then they randomly pop some mp4 from Metal GearRising in the background? Wtf. It looks so cheap and tacky

I get they are trying to have clashes, but at least do it where there is some visual logic. Why not have a Metal Gear fight Hades in the Hades level and something like the Patapon in the loco roco level? These clashes make more sense and keep a visual consistency to the stage at least

They need to compromise and unify the art style somehow next time and get a visual director who thinks things through better.

Yeah it really pisses me off too. I cant really think of a stage that WOULD work with Loco Roco, though.

SUP3R, invite me, this VITA/PS3 connectivity doesnt seem to match us. And Klipz, my bad, come back online :p

Ran rp

Yeah it really pisses me off too. Just going to turn the dynamics for that stage off. Should have crossed it with like Flower at best.

SUP3R, invite me, this VITA/PS3 connectivity doesnt seem to match us. And Klipz, my bad, come back online :p

Yeah, can't find a single game. I wonder if there's just no one else doing 2v2s right now. Or worse, the servers are down.

Yeah it really pisses me off too. I cant really think of a stage that WOULD work with Loco Roco, though.

Anything would work better.

Or just not have a mash up at all if it's going to be shoe horned in?

I think PaRappa or Patapon could work. Or Sound Shapes, if they'd even use it.

Parappa! That's a good one. Sound Shapes, maybe, how about Pixel Junk?

Oh hell, this would have been awesome:

pixeljunk_eden_wip_0003.jpg
For Loco Roco Cross:

Really? Link to the full 3 minutes of the match?

It COULD be good, but I just doubt it. It just doesn't mesh well at all, unless they pull off something unexpected, but it just looked to totally destroy the beauty of the stage.

PixelJunk/Parappa/ would have looked much better without a doubt. Seems like a weird crossover for the sake of being weird, I'd much prefer something more consistent-- even the Hades/Patapon stage actually fits decently enough for such a weird crossover.

SSReborn

I think we should wait too see the entire stage before judging it because I do remember people being scepticle about Stowaways off of a small glimpse of it until they saw the whole thing. I was even scepticle about how weird the character models looked in Dojo until I played it in person.

I will come back soon I'm watching my baby sister at the moment

It COULD be good, but I just doubt it. It just doesn't mesh well at all, unless they pull off something unexpected, but it just looked to totally destroy the beauty of the stage.

PixelJunk/Parappa/ would have looked much better without a doubt

Eh, those are safe picks, and may blend together almost too well. By that I mean there may not be enough to distinguish the two. I like random though and Metal Gear and Loco Roco, and a loco roco smashing a Metal Gear is about as random as it comes.

Really? Link to the full 3 minutes of the match?

Edit: This is all we have seen so far. Hardly enough to pass complete judgement. Literally 2 seconds, 1 of which shows a Loco Roco smashing a Ray. lol.

iMdgpZLzEGcOD.gif
It just makes no sense visually. It looks like they, cut out a section of the sky and put a completely different level behind it. Very inelegant way of mashing them up

I think we should wait too see the entire stage before judging it because I do remember people being scepticle about Stowaways off of a small glimpse of it until they saw the whole thing. I was even scepticle about how weird the character models looked in Dojo until I played it in person.

I will come back soon I'm watching my baby sister at the moment

Im speaking art style, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me, it's such an off putting contrast. We can see that well enough in the brief second we see the stage. If it's purely aesthetic, I'm definitely turning that off. MGS could have been better suited for a Killzone crossover, while Loco Roco simply would have been better with something more in line with its style.

Ran rp

Me and TimeEffect finally get into a match in no time at all... vita crashes. That one game with Radec was hilarious though.

Speaking of that gif. I love how much that level changes. Like the Fish in the lower left hand corner! I am really intrigued to know where that came from. I think it will be a fun level to see unfold is all I am saying.

PSY・S;42583575 said:
Me and TimeEffect finally get into a match in no time at all... vita crashes. That one game with Radec was hilarious though.

Lol yeah. I love getting a teabag party started when I know the game isn't serious. Having all four of us just teabag just puts a smile on my face.

Loco Roco is such a hard stage to crossover-- it has a strong artstyle and it's 2 Dimensional.

Mr. Fix

- I'm pretty sure the glow is here to stay, which is unfortunate in your case

- Situational awareness is important to dodging supers, but I will say that some supers are way easier for landing multiple kills. Characters with weaker supers tend to build AP pretty fast though.

- SS did post the more recent build of the game, check it out when you can. It's different, but it might not be as drastically different for you

Somebody give this bruh a demo!

Aren't the tracks here just remixes though? It'd be nice if they redid them from scratch changing them up a bit.

This is what I was a bit disappointed at. If they were arranged versions, even if they were techno-y arranges, I'd be happy with that. The GoW music sounds like its direct from the games, at least the source pre-remix does.

Mr. Fix

This is what I was a bit disappointed at. If they were arranged versions, even if they were techno-y arranges, I'd be happy with that. The GoW music sounds like its direct from the games, at least the source pre-remix does.

That's the word I was looking for. I feel all herp derp'd. I wish they did that though.

Lol. I have to say, I like the new theme, that intense BGM, and the soundtrack for the TGS trailer. Everything is in bits but coming along great, I am so dying to see the final product. I just feel that the game should and will be a grand festival of sounds and presentation-- at least I feel it should be for a Battle Royale.

Just hope they add music to Super 3s and Overtime

Radec spammers have gotten real good at dodging and timing the sniper since the beginning of the beta.

Funny to see how common it is to see people dodge Kratos' 3 now compared to the feeling of helplessness in the private beta you had.

I'm just going to say it: this game is my 2012 GOTY, at least as far as multiplayer goes.

Lol, soooo fun.

So TimeEffect and myself are playing against a couple of guys that gave it to us pretty good just a match before. Both teams are landing supers and time is about to run out so I stun one player and activate Parappa's level 2 and skateboard into him and in the final seconds of the match I skateboard towards kratos for a last second kill, only he activates his level 1 and we knock each other out. OVERTIME!!!!!

WHAT!?!?!?!?

Then TimeEffect just starts strappin C4 on everybody and we are landing supers and dodging supers and won overtime handily. That's it, I'm calling it a night on a good note. People need to play this and give a fair chance there are so many crazy moments.

bakedpony

This has probably been answered before but...

The version you guys are playing right now, were codes also given out randomly like before or is this the public beta for Europe?

Tsunamo

This has probably been answered before but...

The version you guys are playing right now, were codes also given out randomly like before or is this the public beta for Europe?
I'm playing the Vita one. As for codes you had to apply for the beta in Europe, and then it really was just the luck of the draw as whether you got in or not after applying. (the current one's still private)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom