• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Tier

Looks like all we got are waffles.

SB, c'mon, show us something. I've been relegated to a lurker these last few days because of the lack of news.

Dreweyes

NEW CHARACTER REVEAL GUYZ...

717pf.jpg

Loudninja

Party with PlayStation Canada on October 3rd
Join us on Wednesday, October 3rd at Palais Royale from 5:30pm to 9:00pm and play this year’s hottest holiday titles before they hit retail shelves.
This year some of the fun includes brawling with your friends in PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale, chasing an Elephantaur in God of War: Ascension, racing with Sackboy in LittleBigPlanet Karting and making some magic happen with Book of Spells.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/27/party-with-playstation-canada-on-october-3rd/

Yeah I not even going to ask about the waffle stuff lol.

It's almost odd that we haven't gotten any news. Like, we can assume Superbot peeps are reading a lot of what we're saying so...Something must be planned. They're probably working on videos or something....hopefully

Dreweyes

I feel like Superbot should of done something similar to the "Smash Bros DOJO!!" blog (not sure if you guys remember that), where there was a tiny update about the game pretty much every other day!

It obviously worked for Nintendo & HAL Labs in the long run, since the game sold like crazy, and any significant updates were constantly blogged about in the media... Ohhhhhh Welllllll! lol

Conversation Starter:

What PS+ bonuses do you think Sony will offer relating to PSASBR?

...I'm going to guess avatars + dynamic theme + free timed-exclusive constumes.

A.E Suggs

Maybe the game doesn't have enough content for a dojo to work for this game. I do think they've done a terrible job so far when it comes to hyping people up.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

SSReborn

They have updated there facebook...

"If you're in London this weekend, check out The Eurogamer Expo. PlayStation All-Stars is playable at the show! http://www.eurogamer.net/expo/"

Mr. Fix

Another event with nothing new? Not even surprised, which is both good and bad.

I feel like Superbot should of done something similar to the "Smash Bros DOJO!!" blog (not sure if you guys remember that), where there was a tiny update about the game pretty much every other day!

It obviously worked for Nintendo & HAL Labs in the long run, since the game sold like crazy, and any significant updates were constantly blogged about in the media... Ohhhhhh Welllllll! lol

Everyone remembers the Dojo. That shit was so good.

Conversation Starter:

What PS+ bonuses do you think Sony will offer relating to PSASBR?

...I'm going to guess avatars + dynamic theme + free timed-exclusive constumes.

Oh man, please no timed-exclusive stuff, as I sure as hell refuse to get PS+!

Dreweyes

Maybe the game doesn't have enough content for a dojo to work for this game. I do think they've done a terrible job so far when it comes to hyping people up.

To be fair, I actually really enjoy the videos that they've put out so far, and they were somewhat active on instagram for awhile too.

But even with a lack of content, they could still post updates such as:
character specific combos, behind the scenes work on game development, level/character/item design concept art, employee interviews about working on the project, high resolution character artwork, unused character costumes, etc. Just ideas.

Double Fine's behind the scenes episodes about DFA (kickstarter) have been incredibly awesome, not to mention the vast content they share on the official forums. That type of thing would of been sweet for this project!

LuuKyK

Totally agree with you. I said that since the game was announced. Dojo was awesome and created a lot of hype for Smash, because even if an item was unveiled there would still be a lot of discussion before it since no one ever knew what was going to appear. It was a truly a great idea...

Oh well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - why are you holding your cards so close to your chest Superbot?

My biggest worry is that they're not completely confident in the soon to be finished product. Maybe the other modes just don't cut it, that's why they haven't been showing them off.

I'm pretty much convinced that we're just getting the current roster as is on disc, anything after that will be DLC. This is probably why we're not getting any real megaton third party additions because they (third parties) want to milk it as much as possible as DLC.

I've been focusing on stuff on my Vita because the lack of anything from this game has been absolutely destroying any hype I had left for it. I know some people will say "Oh it's because they're working hard on polish, getting it done!" but still - they can give us something. They have people who do nothing but trailers and videos, why not showcase us the other modes in trailers?

So far we've basically only seen the timed modes... what about the rest of the game? I wholeheartedly agree that they should've done a smaller, steadier trickle of info like the Dojo instead of a few clustered reveals and then absolutely nothing in between/after.

I feel like we're back in the months after the reveal leading up to E3... remember that? Those were depressing times, but they were also hopeful times, because we were still hopeful we'd see icons like Crash and Spyro :(

A.E Suggs

To be fair, I actually really enjoy the videos that they've put out so far, and they were somewhat active on instagram for awhile too.

But even with a lack of content, they could still post updates such as:
character specific combos, behind the scenes work on game development, level/character/item design concept art, employee interviews about working on the project, high resolution character artwork, unused character costumes, etc. Just ideas.

Double Fine's behind the scenes episodes about DFA (kickstarter) have been incredibly awesome, not to mention the vast content they share on the official forums. That type of thing would of been sweet for this project!

Well the trailers are somewhat good but man the way they revealed things just hasn't been very good imo.

plainr_

Nobody but SuperBot forgot about that. :p

Yeah just played.
Is it me or is it damn near impossible to generate AP as Parappa?
The main move for it is the Up+Square , uppercut move, do that twice and you have a lvl 1.

I'm afraid guys like Parappa and Fat Princess are going to be very low tiered characters. Parappa's supers do not compare to someone like Heihachi's or Toro's, and his one unique aspect of generating AP is really cut down to the point where it's rather useless. I think a very slight boost in AP to his Boombox AP generator will help him in the final game.

Fat Princess' Super 1 is useful, but super 2 can be dodged, and super 3 is either inconsistent or completely useless, and I'm leaning on completely useless

SSReborn

Yeah just played.
Is it me or is it damn near impossible to generate AP as Parappa?
The main move for it is the Up+Square , uppercut move, do that twice and you have a lvl 1.

Parappa's main source of gather AP is comboing the only problem is that since there is no training mode there is no place to effectively come up with combo's. I remember in the old beta I had a perfect combo that I came up with by watching the combo video and trying to mimick it. The problem is I think one of the moves in the combo had it properties changed and now it has a knockback effect.

I'm afraid guys like Parappa and Fat Princess are going to be very low tiered characters. Parappa's supers do not compare to someone like Heihachi's or Toro's, and his one unique aspect of generating AP is really cut down to the point where it's rather useless. I think a very slight boost in AP to his Boombox AP generator will help him in the final game.

Fat Princess' Super 1 is useful, but super 2 can be dodged, and super 3 is either inconsistent or completely useless, and I'm leaning on completely useless

Fat princess is actually very scary to me right now because her bellyflop has a Gaurd Break and I still have no idea how to counter it. I find myself getting hit with the bellyflop and then the level 1 for a hit confirm often.

yeah...completely agree on all counts.
But that sucks so much because I wanna main Parappa =[

God, this sucks. SuperBot is just sending this game out to die by completely and utterly failing to keep up the hype. I know everything we've been told runs counter to this idea, but it really is starting to seem like they've already blown their load on the entire character roster way too early and are not confident enough in anything else about the game to advertise/hype it.

Here's hoping this is just a complete PR breakdown and that they've got lots of amazing announcements/reveals coming up. Maybe October will be a better month. They've got one more entire month to re-ignite the hype even a little bit.

Honestly, I'm surprised Seth Killian is letting this happen... or maybe he doesn't want to, but doesn't have the power to make it not happen. He of all people would know how important pre-release hype is to a game. Then again, I remember Seth always being at the forefront of the disappointment when giant leaks would happen with his Capcom games, like MvC 3 and UMvC 3, so maybe he's advising Superbot on how to completely prevent any further leaks from happening. If that's the case, he's doing a very good job. :p

Loudninja

God, this sucks. SuperBot is just sending this game out to die by completely and utterly failing to keep up the hype. I know everything we've been told runs counter to this idea, but it really is starting to seem like they've already blown their load on the entire character roster way too early and are not confident enough in anything else about the game to advertise/hype it.

Here's hoping this is just a complete PR breakdown and that they've got lots of amazing announcements/reveals coming up. Maybe October will be a better month. They've got one more entire month to re-ignite the hype even a little bit.

Honestly, I'm surprised Seth Killian is letting this happen... or maybe he doesn't want to, but doesn't have the power to make it not happen. He of all people would know how important pre-release hype is to a game. Then again, I remember Seth always being at the forefront of the disappointment when giant leaks would happen with his Capcom games, like MvC 3 and UMvC 3, so maybe he's advising Superbot on how to completely prevent any further leaks from happening. If that's the case, he's doing a very good job. :p
They are not sending nay to die,the game has been I every single event on the showfloor,IGN post many vidoes, Gaintbomb did a Walkthough, Seth Killian was on the PS blogcast talking about the game they release a TGS trailer as well.

The beta is on going as well,the game is more than 50 days away plenty of time to do more things.

Boss Man

I wonder if the weird lack of any new information for so long has anything to do with the firing of SCEA's marketing department. Would marketing have anything to do with releasing information? I'd assume it's possible. Maybe there's some weird transitional stuff going on.

SSReborn

Parappa can gain an entire bar with one easy combo:

Circle-->down Square-->up Square x2.

You pull 'em in, trip 'em up, and then knock 'em skyward.

Yup that's what I have been using as of late and it has been very useful. It seems as if they lowered the meter that he gained from doing Jump--> Forward Triangle-->Land-->Up Triangle

Parappa can gain an entire bar with one easy combo:

Circle-->down Square-->up Square x2.

You pull 'em in, trip 'em up, and then knock 'em skyward.

Will do. It's funny how I'm still learning things with this limited pool of characters. I recently learned Kratos' Down Circle (or is it triangle?) where you parry a move.

Get online :p

KiNeSiS

Banned

Nah I always see fat princess do it's armor break butt stomp stun into that chicken super. If anything that armor break stun is a cheap ass move.

SmithnCo

Is Parappa's boombox even a viable move competitively though? Especially in 1v1 if you try to use it you'll probably do more harm than good. Seems more useful in 2v2 but not by much...

Is Parappa's boombox even a viable move competitively though? Especially in 1v1 if you try to use it you'll probably do more harm than good. Seems more useful in 2v2 but not by much...

I find it useful not in gaining AP, but in drawing the enemy into good striking range. Once when I was up against a particularly turtley Radec, I just popped a boombox out in the open and intentionally left it alone. He went in for the free AP, and I comboed a bar out of him.

It has more applications than you'd think.

Noi

I find it useful not in gaining AP, but in drawing the enemy into good striking range. Once when I was up against a particularly turtley Radec, I just popped a boombox out in the open and intentionally left it alone. He went in for the free AP, and I comboed a bar out of him.

It has more applications than you'd think.

That Radec wasn't me though. >:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom