• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol at the tag.

I just want to know, if SB is trying to find their leak, doesn't that leak deserve to get the boot? I thought SB was teaming up with PG?

What a clusterfuck. Just release dev videos with the modes and long videos of the new stages Superbot.

This, or putting the beta back up would leave me fine and dandy. I desperately just want more information because it's damn clear they have a lot more of it. Tease us, Superbot.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As always, I'll agree to disagree with you. I'm in complete disagreement that the game caters to the "diehard playstation fan". The Playstation equivalents of Mario, Kirby, Link, Samus, Pikachu and Donkey Kong being in this game does nothing to impress me. Even more so when the tagline used to describe your game at it's reveal is "a celebration of PlayStation's history." I like Kratos, Parappa and co., but they're not the reason why I like crossover fighters.

I'd be less iffy about picking the game up at launch, but my current circumstances force me to be much more picky about what I buy than I normally am. As much as I absolutely love the gameplay (and you know I do), a roster of which I only want to play as one character does nothing for me. Once the DLC characters get announced (and if they're characters I want to play as) and the game is better priced to match whatever they're gonna charge for those characters, I'll be more than willing to jump in and get it.

To the bolded: So why are you interested in this game? You're in the beta. You've played it, you've mastered Radec. You seem to enjoy the game from reading your posts. With all of that positivity, I'd think the roster wouldn't be as big of a deal to you.

As for me, Kratos, PaRappa, Sir Dan, Spike, the Platformer Trio, etc, are "PlayStation history." I also agree that third party characters like Cloud, Lara, Crash, Spyro, etc, are also "PlayStation history." PlayStation has a big history, and a single game simply cannot cover all of that history, just like a single Smash Bros game could not cover all of Nintendo history. The original Smash had, what, 12 characters? The second had more, but even that roster was heavily skewed to the Mario and Zelda universes. Brawl, the third game, mind you, added even more characters.

For Superbot's first All Stars game, they're bringing us 20 characters from 19 franchises across PlayStation's history. By comparison, Super Smash Bros Melee had 25 characters. 6 of those characters were from Mario Bros Universe. 4 were from Zelda, 4 were from Pokemon, 2 were from Star Fox, 2 were from Fire Emblem, and the remaining 7 were from various other IPs like F-Zero, Donkey Kong, and Earthbound. Out of 25 characters, only 12 Nintendo IPs were represented by character roster. 12 is hardly even a fraction of the IPs Nintendo has brought to us in a near 30 year old history.

PlayStation with a 17 year old history, has at least packed in 19 unique IPs in their game. Much like Nintendo, that's hardly a fraction of their history, but also like Nintendo, they at least included the top characters from the most important/popular franchises in their game. If Smash didn't have Mario in it, people would have been pissed. If All Stars didn't have Kratos, Sackboy, Nathan Drake, or the Platformer Trio in it, people would have been pissed.

I just have to ask you, though, what do you have against the rest of the roster in PBR? I'm the farthest thing from a Mario fan these days (despite growing up on the franchise as a boy), but I could at least find some joy in playing as the other characters in Smash, even the ones that I wasn't terribly familiar with (like Roy, and Marth). I just find it hard to believe that out of the 20 character roster, you don't find anyone else but Radec appealing. I'm not saying it's not possible, or that it's not true, just that it's really hard to believe.

I can't even decide on which character I want to play as as my main, because so many of them look so damn good (my personal top choices for ones I'm going to play first are: Kratos, both Coles, Ratchet, Jak, Nariko, Spike, Raiden, Toro, and Dante: the rest look awesome, but they will be played after I've had my fun with the ones I listed).

Also, what is the reason why you like crossover fighters? I like the very few crossover fighters that grab me (MvC and Smash, mostly), because they star some of my favorite characters, and I can use them to beat the crap out of some of my other favorite characters. I'm not terribly familiar with the Capcom side of MvC (ironic, I know), but I still enjoy playing as those characters, and going up against Spider-Man and Captain America, for example.

I don't see how PBR is falling short of the crossover fighter standard of expectations. It has a bunch of characters from various franchises across the PS1, PS2, and PS3, and they are fighting each other.

I don't care when MvC, Smash, or whatever debuted, but their first entries weren't exactly bursting at the seems with characters. A fighter has to start somewhere, then build on it from there. PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale is a fine debut to this new series. I'm sure PBR2 will expand on it even farther, if it even gets to have a sequel, judging by how many people in this thread are bailing on the first one because of a few roster omissions.

Hell, MvC 3 cut some of my favorite characters from MvC2, but I didn't bail on it. I just accepted that those dudes weren't in MvC 3, and still got it and enjoyed it.

Sorry for the long post again, but I bolded the important questions I'm curious about.

LuuKyK

Whatever happened to corporate cheerleader? Did he stop receiving money from Sony to hype the game too?

joking

kinda

I just wished there was more female representation. Kat on disc please (no dlc). There needs to be a character that I have to be hype to play as.

At the moment I have maybe dante, raiden...and thats it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well said Fig.

Thanks, but this thread is a miserable fucking train wreck. Moreso than any of the supposedly "devastating" news from that other thread.

I was expecting something genuinely horrible and dramatic, based off of the responses, but all it turned out being was "well, the leak fucked up everything." Um, no shit? Leaks suck. Why this is Superbot's fault is beyond me.

I feel that the negativity towards Superbot is horribly misguided. They're just a developer. They wake up, go to work, try and make this game as kickass as it can be (and from what I've played of the first beta, it is very kickass, and from what I've read from people in the second beta, it's even moreso now that it's had some polish), and they share this game with us at trade shows, and they are being shit on by the very fans that they are making this game for.

Don't get the developers confused with corporate suits who don't know their PaRappa's from their Patapons.

Having worked in the industry for many years, I know that developers love video games as much as any forum dwelling posters on GAF. If they didn't, why the flying fuck would they be in the industry to begin with? "Oh, yeah, I'm going to spend years earning a degree in video game shit, just because I hate gaming so much, I want to make shitty games for people!" That makes no fucking sense in any way, shape, or form.

Superbot got into this industry to make video games. They were handpicked to form Superbot to make this cool PlayStation fighting game. When they say they are fans of fighting games, and PlayStation, I believe them. Why? Because it shows in the quality of PBR, even in beta form.

The game is fun. As a developer, I think they met their base, minimum requirement for game development. They created a fun, enjoyable game. How many turds have we played this generation? I think we all know what a shit game actually is. PBR is as far from a shit game as they get, and this is the kind of response Superbot is getting from the gaming community, because fucking Crash, Spyro, Cloud, and Snake couldn't make it into the game on release day?

That's just...fucking pathetic to me. Yeah, let's crucify this talented developer, because I can't play as a purple dragon in an otherwise fuck awesome fighting game.

Yuppers. That makes a whole lot of fucking sense to me!

Unbelievable.

I may have to bail on this thread for a while, until maybe the game releases (then I'll just move on to the OT thread, I suppose). Some of you guys are clown shoes for sure. At least direct your rage in the proper direction (ie, the third parties who wouldn't be reasonable with who they licensed for the game).

I feel nothing but pity for Superbot, looking at the shit they have to put up with from the internet community regarding this game. I'd understand if there was crazy hype for this game, and it turned out to be crap. But man, the game is good! Really, truly good, and fun.

If this is how we "reward" developers that make us genuinely fun games, I can't even imagine how we'll "reward" a developer that makes crap games. But then again, Bethesda always gets a free pass with The Elder Scrolls games(for the record, the Elder Scrolls games are cool, when they actually frigging work).

Only Kratos and Drake here for me too. :/

Yeah.

Pretty much every fighter I had a few who I was very interested in playing at first, which was the hook needed for me to be hype

1) mvc3: x-23, ammy, hsienko, dante, sentinel, felicia, she-hulk,
2) umvc3: Nova, strider, RR
3) SSF4: Dudley, Adon
4) DOA5: Lei-Fang, Kokoro
5) Persona 4 Arena: Yukiko, Mitsuru
6) SC5: Leixia, Viola,
7) 3s: Dudley

etc etc

Mr. Fix

Yeah.

Pretty much every fighter I had a few who I was very interested in playing at first, which was the hook needed for me to be hype

1) mvc3: x-23, ammy, hsienko, dante, sentinel, felicia, she-hulk,
2) umvc3: Nova, strider, RR
3) SSF4: Dudley, Adon
4) DOA5: Lei-Fang, Kokoro
5) Persona 4 Arena: Yukiko, Mitsuru

etc etc

I agree. I'm still interested in PSAS, but I can't be hyped for it if my favorite gaming icons didn't make the cut. It'll hopefully keep me occupied until the next smash.

I agree. I'm still interested in PSAS, but I can't be hyped for it if my favorite gaming icons didn't make the cut. It'll hopefully keep me occupied until the next smash.

Yeah honestly I'm treating this as "You have to be dumb not to get 2 solid games for $45 bucks (crossbuy)".

TheMink

Thanks, but this thread is a miserable fucking train wreck. Moreso than any of the supposedly "devastating" news from that other thread.

I was expecting something genuinely horrible and dramatic, based off of the responses, but all it turned out being was "well, the leak fucked up everything." Um, no shit? Leaks suck. Why this is Superbot's fault is beyond me.

I feel that the negativity towards Superbot is horribly misguided. They're just a developer. They wake up, go to work, try and make this game as kickass as it can be (and from what I've played of the first beta, it is very kickass, and from what I've read from people in the second beta, it's even moreso now that it's had some polish), and they share this game with us at trade shows, and they are being shit on by the very fans that they are making this game for.

Don't get the developers confused with corporate suits who don't know their PaRappa's from their Patapons.

Having worked in the industry for many years, I know that developers love video games as much as any forum dwelling posters on GAF. If they didn't, why the flying fuck would they be in the industry to begin with? "Oh, yeah, I'm going to spend years earning a degree in video game shit, just because I hate gaming so much, I want to make shitty games for people!" That makes no fucking sense in any way, shape, or form.

Superbot got into this industry to make video games. They were handpicked to form Superbot to make this cool PlayStation fighting game. When they say they are fans of fighting games, and PlayStation, I believe them. Why? Because it shows in the quality of PBR, even in beta form.

The game is fun. As a developer, I think they met their base, minimum requirement for game development. They created a fun, enjoyable game. How many turds have we played this generation? I think we all know what a shit game actually is. PBR is as far from a shit game as they get, and this is the kind of response Superbot is getting from the gaming community, because fucking Crash, Spyro, Cloud, and Snake couldn't make it into the game on release day?

That's just...fucking pathetic to me. Yeah, let's crucify this talented developer, because I can't play as a purple dragon in an otherwise fuck awesome fighting game.

Yuppers. That makes a whole lot of fucking sense to me!

Unbelievable.

I may have to bail on this thread for a while, until maybe the game releases (then I'll just move on to the OT thread, I suppose). Some of you guys are clown shoes for sure. At least direct your rage in the proper direction (ie, the third parties who wouldn't be reasonable with who they licensed for the game).

I feel nothing but pity for Superbot, looking at the shit they have to put up with from the internet community regarding this game. I'd understand if there was crazy hype for this game, and it turned out to be crap. But man, the game is good! Really, truly good, and fun.

If this is how we "reward" developers that make us genuinely fun games, I can't even imagine how we'll "reward" a developer that makes crap games. But then again, Bethesda always gets a free pass with The Elder Scrolls games(for the record, the Elder Scrolls games are cool, when they actually frigging work).

Aww, dont go fig!

We need rational thinkers like you!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As I stated before, I'm a big fan of God of War, Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, LittleBigPlanet, Heavenly Sword, and Ape Escape.

Having those franchises represented in this game sold me on it. Any other franchise reps are bonuses for me. I just want the game to be out already. Another month and a half, though. I'm also wondering if we are going to be getting weekly featurettes from Superbot, like the stage one on the PlayStation blog.

I think one a week leading up to release would be cool, capped off with a cinematic launch trailer on the day of release.

EDIT: Lol, Mink. Rational thinking has no place in a mob that's out for blood. It's a shame that the blood being spilled is Superbots. They've done the best they can, and it upsets me to think that jobs are in the balance if the game doesn't do well. I'm getting flashbacks of Kingdoms of Amalur. That game was really frigging cool! It's a shame that the developers that made it had to suffer, because of various factors.

I think Superbot has great potential as a developer, whether it be making more All Stars games, or something they own completely. I don't want to see them go before they even get a chance to prove themselves. Imagine if Naughty Dog had crumbled after releasing their first title, Keef the Thief (officially the first Naughty Dog game).

I shudder at the thought. No Crash, no Jak, no Uncharted, no The Last of Us. That's the stuff of nightmares for me.

Loudninja

As I stated before, I'm a big fan of God of War, Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, LittleBigPlanet, Heavenly Sword, and Ape Escape.

Having those franchises represented in this game sold me on it. Any other franchise reps are bonuses for me. I just want the game to be out already. Another month and a half, though. I'm also wondering if we are going to be getting weekly featurettes from Superbot, like the stage one on the PlayStation blog.

I think one a week leading up to release would be cool, capped off with a cinematic launch trailer on the day of release.
I bet we will.

Something i notice some of you fail to understand with the roster complaints is that regardless if there was only 12 characters in the first SSB, the 12 characters in it were the biggest Nintendo characters period. All the extra characters added in Brawl and Melee was fine but they got the main characters out of the way and rightfully so.

I like the roster in PASBR but lets not kid ourselves; Dino, Big Daddy, and Raiden could have been swapped with Crash, Cloud and Snake and I DOUBT there would have been this premature debacle.

It doesn't matter if the latter three are third party, they are without a doubt exceptional icons for PS1 and Sony nonetheless. People don't care if they have Nariko, Kratos, Drake and Sackboy as characters because those are kind of obvious "duh" characters. People aren't going to want to hear about Activsion, Konami etc. People just want games and as self entitled some gamers can be and unreasonably so, Sony should've known people were going to go apeshit especially since Smash was already a commercial success and would be compared.

Smash 64 got away with 12 starting characters because at the time we never seen a game like this and people took what they can have. If this game was some RPG game with all 19 universes being carefully woven together under a nice cohesive story with great production value people would've just ate it up since nothing else is out llike that.

I'd have no problem if they added Raiden, Dante, Big Daddy and maybe Heihachi later as DLC. The problem is people see the name "PLAYSTATION ALL STARS" and they IMMEDIATELY remember Crash, MGS, FFVII etc. Save for a few people who will say "No my fave games was Tales of Destiny, Dark Cloud, Legend of Dragoon..." blah blah blah. The moment you come out and say "FAN SERVICE" for something people will go back to the beginning it's merely something that can be said to be 2nd nature.

Crash alone sold over 40 million games. FFVII over 10 million yet these characters are speculated to be potential DLC or may not be in it at all??

Also these characters made Playstation a household name and then to make a game with the name playstation and leave your fans speculating whether or not they're biggest and most popular character for the Playstation legacy will be in it is not really good imo.

I'll enjoy the game and love it and I like Spike, PaRappa and Sackboy. I love these characters but some of you fail to see that these names by themselves won't help sell the game to the average gamer who's not a diehard playstation fan.

I'm excited for the game but I could SHOW you messages i've received on PSN from friends, other message board posts, youtube comments etc and the majority of people clamor incessantly for Crash's inclusion.

This is bigger than our personal interests and taste. I could see so many missed sales and botched reviews because people saying "No nostalgic characters we grew up with."

Trust me people will chastise Sony/Superbot about this game if those characters aren't in it POINT BLANK. Hell I'd bet money if this game were to only have 14 characters with 6 more DLC and the launch characters were:
Crash
Cloud
Snake
Drake
Sackboy
J and D
R&C
Sly
Radec
Sweet Tooth
Kratos
PaRappa
Spike
Cole
This game would've had MUCH better reception by outsiders.
The rest being added as DLC and then the sequel adding secondary characters from a few of those IP's and we'd be good.

Fig I completely understand and somewhat agree with your points but I feel as though your being disingenuous pertaining to people's demands for a few characters. It's completely understandable to me. Now if those characters were in yet people were bitching about say Nariko, Sir Daniel, Sly, Sweet Tooth or Fat Princess I'd say they were unreasonable.

vg260

I don't follow these threads at all because the game looks fun, and I'm picking it up.

The lunacy in these threads is silly.

I think people don't realize that perhaps the developers want more characters, wan to have all the favorites, and a lot is probably out of their hands. Putting this game together an trying to appease everyone with all the IP issues involved has got to be frustrating as heck, especially in terms of third party characters. It's not just as simple as "fans want these, let's put them in" regarding third party IPs. Perhaps they're just as disappointed, and have to stay positive and make the best game they can with what they have to work with.

This is not directly applicable here, but just look at this recent post from Sven at Capcom about licensing issues. There's a lot of crap involved.

This game has the pretty much all the big first party characters PlayStation characters.

For the record I'm not saying the roster is bad and that Superbot should be censured endlessly now. I am understandable and I can somewhat understand the hard work it is getting these characters and I'm grateful this game is being made period.

I just am trying to merely say what the average person thinks and wants to say but can't realistically from my observations. Some people can be annoying and sound stupid when trying to say what I'm saying but I'm just putting out there what the average gamer thinks. Passionate Gamers on the internet =/= casual gamers.

Loudninja

I don't follow these threads at all because the game looks fun, and I'm picking it up.

The lunacy in these threads is silly.

I think people don't realize that perhaps the developers want more characters, wan to have all the favorites, and a lot is probably out of their hands. Putting this game together an trying to appease everyone with all the IP issues involved has got to be frustrating as heck, especially in terms of third party characters. It's not just as simple as "fans want these, let's put them in" regarding third party IPs. Perhaps they're just as disappointed, and have to stay positive and make the best game they can with what they have to work with.

This is not directly applicable here, but just look at this recent post from Sven at Capcom about licensing issues. There's a lot of crap involved.
You know people wont care, in their mines its as simple as asking.

Kouichi

The only PlayStation franchises I can say I'm a fan of are inFAMOUS, Sly Cooper, and LittleBigPlanet, and I am mad hype for this game. It is actually the only game I'm getting until February.

I agree with a lot of what you said, Fig. The worst part about all the hate is how everyone complains to Superbot about the same four characters that aren't in and seem to always forget that Sony owns none of these characters. I thought people would be reasonable enough to accept from the very beginning that those four characters may not be in for that simple reason. Yes, it is surprising that someone like Snake doesn't seem to be in, but stop hating on Superbot. I think we can agree that it was most likely not to fault or decision.

Also, don't use the game's title as an excuse to complain about what characters are in or not. Whether it had All-stars in the title or they kept the name Title Fight people would still complain just as much.

Though, I can understand why people might be turned off if they're favorite characters don't make it in. No Cole would defiantly bother me since he has become one of my favorite video game characters and him not being in a PlayStation cross-over fighter would be such a drag. I'll always feel like something is missing and won't have as much fun. It sounds a little ridiculous to not buy game because of one character, but I can understand. However, my extreme love for Smash Bros and crossover fighters in general would still drive me to buy this.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Cooldog, I think people are being unreasonable.

It's like they've convinced themselves that the reason Superbot didn't include Cloud, Snake, Crash, Spyro, Sora, and "real" Dante in the roster is because they are:

1) Dumb, and don't understand the "true" meaning of "PlayStation history," or

2) They hate us, and don't want to include the obvious choices for the roster.

No one seems willing to understand, and accept, that many third parties just weren't willing to give over their huge, iconic characters from their most popular franchises for a reasonable price.

Cloud is cash money in the bank. I doubt Square-Enix would hand him over to Sony and Superbot for peanuts. Activision gonna Activision, so I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna hand over Spyro, not after the success of Skylanders, for a reasonable price. Crash is a better choice, but would ATVI be willing to hand him over as free DLC? I don't know.

As for the third party reps that are in the game? I imagine it was a "them or nothing" rock and hard place type situation for Superbot. Either release All Stars with no Metal Gear, or DMC rep (I have a feeling Big Daddy and Heihachi weren't problematic deals to make for them), or use current iterations of Dante and Raiden, since that would be mutually beneficial to both PBR and Capcom and Konami.

This is a business, and you have to work with what you are given. I'm glad Metal Gear and DMC have representation in the game, even if I'd have preferred Snake or Big Boss to Raiden. As for Dante, the game has alternate costumes, so who's to say that Dante doesn't have his "classic" look as an alt? I'm with-holding judgment until we know for sure. It could have been Capcom saying, "Okay, you can use Dante, and you can use his Classic look, but you have to make his current, DmC look as his default skin."

Would you actually turn that down, stick to your "gamer pride guns," and say, "Fuck you, Capcom, it's default Classic Dante or bust!", or say, "Fuck it, we'll make DmC Dante default, and use classic as an unlockable skin." You gotta pick your battles, dude.

Raiden is cool, and he looks to play cool, so I'm actually torn at this point, despite my love for Big Boss and Solid Snake.

I guess I've simply accepted that Superbot couldn't woo all of the third parties and secure all of the characters that themselves, and the fans, would like. I think it's a reasonable way to look at it. I think the people still crying foul at Superbot for not being able to secure Crash, Spyro, and Cloud are very much so being unreasonable.

It's not like they don't know how kickass it would be to have Cloud squaring off against Solid Snake, or Crash battling against Jak and Daxter, but that just wasn't possible for this debut title in a new, unproven IP.

I don't like it, but that's how it is. At least for now. In this day and age of DLC expansions and updates, I'm not even close to being as irritated as I'd be if this was last generation, where things like the PSN didn't exist (patching also, actually) for PlayStation.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
(wall of text)

1. Just because you think this game is shaping up to look good doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way. If people are disappointed with the game or think its not looking like it will compare favorably to its competition then they are allowed to feel that way too.

2. This is a neogaf discussion topic. Discussion usually means a exchange of ideas, and with videogames that often means talking about what a developer did right and what they did wrong. If they can't handle any talk about stuff they did wrong, then I don't know what they were thinking by getting into this industry. It'd be nice if every review of every game could be 10 out of 10 allowing every developer to feel nice and good about themselves but thats just not the way it works.

Instead they'll just have to get by feeling good that they are working in an industry that a lot of people want to work in, trying to do things that make people take notice and happy. The alternative is writing boring software for some bank where if you do something wrong you get yelled at to face to face with some manager that doesn't know a thing about programing.

So basically cry me a freaking river about having to deal with some forum negativity.

3. Just because people find some fault with the game doesn't mean they hate superbot or the people that work there. I might not read every post here, but I don't believe I've ever seen any post like that.

4. Almost no one here is disappointed in the roster because one specific third party character is missing, but because there is a large number or spots on the roster going to characters that don't make sense and because other crossover games have many more characters then this one. So if you are going to write an essay about how you disagree, then at least argue with what people are saying instead of building up the strawman arguement of "no spyro = no buy".

Spinluck

Thread 2, Page 270something, and people are still arguing and complaining about the same sheet. Lol. Really?

We get it.

I am not entirely satisfied with the games roster, and I still sorta have a problem with the way it looks(some things still don't mesh well to me).

But eventually, you just got to come to terms with it and accept it, just like Nolan's shitty Batman costume, the new Spider-Man's costume(those boots, why?), Spider-Man 3's terribleness, the terribleness of the Star Wars prequels(still enjoyed them though), that Sonic was indeed terrible for the better half of a decade(still love Sonic), that the PS3 was $599 and had no grass or games for almost 2yrs, and this games shortcomings(so far we haven't even touched the final product).

I am actually glad no new character will be revealed, I'm hoping to be surprised in some way or form, since the leak killed a lot of suspense for the game. And will be there day 1 to pick this bitch up, cause I love me like, any type of fighting game.

People need to ACCEPT, that this isn't Smash Bros, and also, that not all your favorites will make it in. It is your own fault for not keeping your expectations in check. I remember people bad mouthing E3 cause they didn't get their Half Life 3 or Next-Box. That isn't E3's fault, it's yours for not realizing everything you want might not come to be.

Just live with it, like really, these Smash Bros. comparisons are just unfair, really. WHY ISN'T KILLZONE LIKE HALO!!!!

Drencrom

Dude, they're just; video games, man.

An arguement lost on many (see above), and most likely the reason CC left.

He just got tired of the community setting here on GAF.

About the discussion about the roster, i'm pleased with it except the whole Cole brothers thing (Sir Dan, PaRappa and Spike getting resurrected is awesome) but they definitely missed out on Wander and Kat. Add them Superbot!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
1. Just because you think this game is shaping up to look good doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way. If people are disappointed with the game or think its not looking like it will compare favorably to its competition then they are allowed to feel that way too.

2. This is a neogaf discussion topic. Discussion usually means a exchange of ideas, and with videogames that often means talking about what a developer did right and what they did wrong. If they can't handle any talk about stuff they did wrong, then I don't know what they were thinking by getting into this industry. It'd be nice if every review of every game could be 10 out of 10 allowing every developer to feel nice and good about themselves but thats just not the way it works.

Instead they'll just have to get by feeling good that they are working in an industry that a lot of people want to work in, trying to do things that make people take notice and happy. The alternative is writing boring software for some bank where if you do something wrong you get yelled at to face to face with some manager that doesn't know a thing about programing.

So basically cry me a freaking river about having to deal with some forum negativity.

3. Just because people find some fault with the game doesn't mean they hate superbot or the people that work there. I might not read every post here, but I don't believe I've ever seen any post like that.

4. Almost no one here is disappointed in the roster because one specific third party character is missing, but because there is a large number or spots on the roster going to characters that don't make sense and because other crossover games have many more characters then this one. So if you are going to write an essay about how you disagree, then at least argue with what people are saying instead of building up the strawman arguement of "no spyro = no buy".

1) I never said it was wrong for them to feel that way. Even the people disappointed in the game's roster have said the game is fun to play (from those that have played the beta, or demo kiosks). I don't know where you've ever gotten the notion that I've said people shouldn't be disappointed in the game itself.

2) ??? I'm not sure what you're getting at here either. The negativity I'm referring to is the constant shitting on Superbot because they couldn't get Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Sora, Snake, and any number of great third party characters into the roster. I've never once said people criticizing the various aspects of the game that deserve criticizing should shut up being negative Nancy's. In the beta thread, and this one, many of the complaints about game balance, audio, UI, etc, make a lot of sense to me, and I share in those criticisms, and from this latest beta, it seems that Superbot is working to improve on that. I think that kind of "negativity" isn't negativity at all. "Fuck you, Superbot for not including Crash!" is what I take issue with.

3) Never said that at all. Again, see my response to number 2.

4) I don't agree with that at all. What spots are being taken up for characters that "don't make sense?" Big Daddy and Evil Cole? I understand head-scratching on Big Daddy, and I understand that Evil Cole is frustrating to some, but here's the thing: Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Sora, Cloud, etc, NEVER HAD A SPOT on the roster because they were never licensed to be used in the game. That's two arguable spots. Two characters.

Now, if you're arguing for Max, Monica, Jen Tate, Jeanne d'Arc, Ellen, Jaster Rogue, Ari and Stan, Rau, Tati, Rose, Dart, Alundra, Wander, Kat, Gabe Logan, etc, then I can understand the disappointment, but there is only so much man power, so much budget, and so much time to put those guys in the game.

The biggest Sony owned IPs in PlayStation history are represented in the day one, on disc roster. With a few niche choices as well (ie, Nariko and Fat Princess). As much as I'd love to see each and every one of the characters listed in my above paragraph in the game, I understand that that may not have been possible.

So, tell me, who, exactly, do you want to see in this game that is a Sony owned IP? We already know which third party characters people want, so no need to go over those, but specifically for your number four argument, who do you think is being shafted and have been replaced by the existing character roster? I'd really like to know.

then at least argue with what people are saying instead of building up the strawman arguement of "no spyro = no buy".

My thoughts exactly. The third party characters that made the cut make no sense for Playstation and are obvious cash ins. They should have done the roster like SSB, i.e. no third parties and an awesome first party line up. The lack of any Sony JRPG rep is depressing.

Spinluck

An arguement lost on many (see above), and most likely the reason CC left.

The Bayonetta 2 threads ridiculousness, the arguing with a mod, I still don't see the big deal. Whatever, guess some people don't like some buttons being pushed, even on a video game discussion board. Hope he still picks up the game day 1.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The slot or spot garbage needs to go.

I agree.

EDIT: At Scholo, the first party roster is awesome. And no, it would not have been acceptable to many to have a game called "PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale," and not have a single third party character in the roster. Third party is important to PlayStation, so some kind of representation was almost required. Nintendo has always been known for it's first party stuff. Third party franchises were always second fiddle to Nintendo.

For PlayStation 1, third parties helped legitimize the platform. Without Square-Enix, Konami, and Capcom, PlayStation would have had a hard time getting it's foot in the door. For PlayStation 2, Sony started to expand beyond third parties, and made a concerted effort to push their own brands forward, and garner a name. Hence, Jak, Sly, Ratchet, Ico, SOTC, God of War, etc. With PlayStation 3, Sony completely moved from relying on third parties, to aggressively pushing their first party and second party IPs. This generation has seen a significant number of quality PlayStation exclusive/owned IPs from SCEI. It's been really impressive to see. What's interesting to me is that Microsoft used third parties this generation to help legitimize the Xbox as a viable, strong brand. And it worked wonderfully, much like it worked for the PS1.

The first party roster represented in PBR so far are the top dogs. Unless you are going to throw in a Gran Turismo car (which would still require some kind of licensing deal with the car manufacturer, unless it is some kind of original GT car I don't know about; don't follow GT). At this point, any additional first party characters would be from lesser known, more niche franchises like Primal, Mark of Kri, Syphon Filter, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud, etc. I want those guys to show up, but they don't have to replace the existing roster. They should be added in addition, and some of them more than likely will be. Which is awesome.

libregkd

My thoughts exactly. The third party characters that made the cut make no sense for Playstation and are obvious cash ins. They should have done the roster like SSB, i.e. no third parties and an awesome first party line up. The lack of any Sony JRPG rep is depressing.

The only 3rd party character that doesn't make sense that made the cut is Big Daddy. Everyone else makes perfect sense as they not only have had all their major successes on a Playstation platform and, they all their entries onto consoles as PS exclusives.

Loudninja

Posting Itchy//Tasty impressions again.
Played this game extensively at Eurogamer today. I say extensively, we couldn't put this fucker down. I went to the show with four other dudes and we were all itching to sit down and play multiplayer, all of us very competitive too. All the characters - that's the entire roster - was available to play right there on the show floor, and we gave it tons and tons of goes. I tried to work my way through all the chars, but only managed just over half of the roster.

But yeah, we couldn't get enough of it. First of all, I thought it looked pretty astounding really, especially the environments, such a vibrant and lovely looking game. Vita version is, as said, identical apart from controls that are slightly more difficult to accustom to.

Secondly, you guys should've seen the crowds. It was one of the only games still pulling people in droves for just one more go, even as the place was about to close. Only the very most pre-emptively bitter of cynics couldn't have a great time with it. It's a fucking mighty crowd pleaser of a game, just like it's inspiration.

Everyone's trepidation about the Super system disappears once you play the fucking thing and realised how good it is. I had serious problems landing supers for a while - fucked up the Vita controls and kept getting hit mid-activation the other times. I played mainly PS3 but a bit of Vita. I stuck mainly with Lv1's as a tactic but branched out occasionally and used a few Lv2's like Big Daddy's. Saw the occasional Lv3 kicking off but it seemed a fairly rare, and special occurrence, apart from Kratos' 3 which we saw a few times because my mate Dave kept saving up for it. We mostly saw Lv1's and 2's, another of my mates was loving the hell out of Drake's pushing the column over one, he scored three kills with it at one point. There's nothing like activating a super and wiping all your friends with it in one go, just the noise itself is so satisfying.

I started off with Jak and Daxter and made you guys proud, won by six kills on my first play and won a little Ratchet Sackboy keyring! J&D were really easy to pick up, responsive, and the little spin move plus the way Daxter get's thrown about on Jak's shoulder makes me quite nostalgic for the first game.
other characters I tried were:
Big Daddy
Drake
Kratos
Dante
Raiden
Spike
Nariko
Evil Cole
Parappa
Ratchet
Sweet Tooth

I walked away from the show with Spike as hands-down, my favourite character, with Nariko a close second. Spike is fun, easy to use, armed to the teeth with awesome gadgets, and I owned the battlefield with him. Didn't really discover his monkey summoning moves on first play, but there'll be time for that later. :) Nariko, Dante, Kratos and Raiden were all immensely powerful as well. Everyone gravitated towards their own favourites though.

Favourite stage has got to be Stowaways. It's goddamn beautiful, guys, and the transition from cramped to massive really changes the dynamic of the battle. Had a go on all of them at some point, including Alden's Tower.

So yeah, completely positive experience, couldn't be happier. Fuck the haters. This was game of the show for our merry lot, and we played everything - God of War Ascension, TR, Rising, Hitman, AC3, DMC.

It also made me think about how much joy it brings as it is, with or without DLC characters. I know you guys are feeling sore about the roster not being what you thought it should be, but you should still stay hyped because what the game has, in terms of characters, stages, gameplay and charm is believe it or not, ENOUGH. I hope Kat gets in there and I think there's a few little shames in what was picked, but overall I just can't wait for this beast to come out so I can started kicking ass and taking names again as soon as possible.

Also got my photo taken with Ami Nakajima. :D

tbh 20 characters (if that is true) roster is kinda small. 24-26 would be ideal

Inb4 p4a 13 cast counter.

24 to 26 would've been ideal; just those few extra slots to get the glaring omissions out of the way and quell the fears of those who still thought there was something lacking. How we haven't seen a single Team ICO representation, and probably never will, I do not know.

DLC doesn't count. It just feels like a total cop-out to see a character announced after the game is out. An afterthought.

Spinluck

Fig's rant

I say if you wanna take a break from the thread, you really should.

I have posted significant less due to inability to have any REAL dicussions about the game. More than likely it ends up in some stupid redundant character argument. Rule number one of crossover fighters, "DON'T EXPECT ALL YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS TO MAKE THE CUT". It's crazy, cause I'm literally feel like I've been reading the same arguments for 4-5 months. :-I

Figboy79, I respect you and admire your positivity, but many of your posts read the same (and mine as well). You're very quick to defend Superbot and its choice of characters. Even though you work at one of these companies, if you can't give me a first-hand account of how these character deals went down, I can't believe that Superbot was completely innocent in these character inclusions. Sora was always a dream character. As much as people want him, I imagine that they understand that it's unlikely. Crash on the other hand, was rightfully expected. I think you exaggerate the hate on Superbot. I do feel a bit bad for Superbot of those recent rumors were true, though.

Being the first game in a potential series isn't really an excuse, either. People are always complaining about others making comparisons to Super Smash Bros., yet people in this thread do that very same thing.

I'm a Nintendo fan, and I definitely saw the game as a rip-off of Super Smash Bros. I still think it is one, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried to play it myself. My definition of rip-off, by the way, means that I believe that it's an obvious attempt to make a Super Smash Bros.-esque game. Some people think the term inspired is too mild, and others think the term rip-off is too harsh. I think it's a weaker game than Super Smash Bros., and I hope that my opinion is not biased. I can see why people will enjoy it, though. It's fun.

People also never hesitate when talking about how great the game is, but as soon as there is a negative impression, the common defense is that we shouldn't judge an unfinished game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom