• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | June 2015

Shizuka

7feaf4530fd50962f66b187f563ef2e9.jpg

Shizuka

Mind Zero is not bad. I've found at least two other GAF members other than myself that enjoyed it, one of them I discovered yesterday! It can't be that bad if three people liked it.

Li Kao

Itching for my RPG fix here. I will surely try Tales of Hearts R.
I fear it will be too bland but a classic RPG feel looks exactly like what the doctor ordered.

Edit - But what I fear more is what I saw in the videos I looked up on Google. At this point "bullet sponges" isn't even fitting anymore. Good God does the fights looks slow.

AsfaeksBR

Persona 4 Golden is just so goooooooooooooood.
Really, it alone is enough to justify a Vita purchase. + Danganronpa and the Vita is probably the best console I've bought in the last 5 years, easily.
____

Added $60 on my wallet to get Batman: Arkham Knight, but I'm kinda on the fence about it. Reading a lot of "not-so-nice" things about it, so I think I'll pass.

Let's hope Danganronpa 2 and other great games go on sale this week, because this last Flash was really weak for me.

Massa

Persona 4 Golden is just so goooooooooooooood.
Really, it alone is enough to justify a Vita purchase. + Danganronpa and the Vita is probably the best console I've bought in the last 5 years, easily.
____

Added $60 on my wallet to get Batman: Arkham Knight, but I'm kinda on the fence about it. Reading a lot of "not-so-nice" things about it, so I think I'll pass.

Let's hope Danganronpa 2 and other great games go on sale this week, because this last Flash was really weak for me.

If you're in Brazil and you want to get the disc version of Batman for cheap you can try this. That's how I bought the game, I'll go digital on it when the game+dlc bundle is cheaper.

Saphirax

I was speaking HP-wise. I've seen several videos where characters deals 1 damage each time they hit, which seemed strangely low. And enemies in general looks really resistant.
But that's just me after googling some videos, maybe playing the game will be far more interesting than seeing it played.

That's a skill that's present in a lot of Tales games. Dealing 1 damage is useful for trophy farming.

Shizuka

If you're in Brazil and you want to get the disc version of Batman for cheap you can try this. That's how I bought the game, I'll go digital on it when the game+dlc bundle is cheaper.

Why don't you go and participate on our little BrazilGAF community? We don't bite and we mostly have Vitas.

bobohoro

I was speaking HP-wise. I've seen several videos where characters deals 1 damage each time they hit, which seemed strangely low. And enemies in general looks really resistant.
But that's just me after googling some videos, maybe playing the game will be far more interesting than seeing it played.

That's a battle skill nearly every Tales game gets for showing off flashy combos and nowadays also helps in getting some of the trophys when enemies just die too quickly. Nothing to worry there. There is also the possibility to adjust difficulty, going by past Tales games, easy will have you breeze through every encounter if you're not in the mood for it.

I played 8 hours now, on normal, and most monsters drop even a tad bit too fast. Might turn it up to hard soon.

pariah164

Is Corpse Party good? Is it scary, with a "horror" atmosphere?
Corpse Party IS scary. But it's more Japanese horror than American, in-your-face, jumpscare horror. The atmosphere is very unnerving, and sometimes, what you don't see is disturbing and more terrifying than that you do see (but you will see it; people die everywhere in this game). Coming from someone who usually stays as far from horror games as she can, I love the Corpse Party series. It's the characters and the story that make me sit through butt-clenching, whimper-inducing, goosebump-giving gameplay.

In short, yes. It's good.

I wouldn't really say that Corpse Party is scary. I'd say it's very tense and super disturbing, makes you feel very uncomfortable which is what you would want from a horror game. Some of the shit you see in that game is straight messed up. Also, play with headphones on for the best effect. You are welcome :p

Ventara

That might have me sold on tales honestly.
How's sword art compare? YouTube not wanting to work right now.
Edit:Working now
Kinda leaning towards tales for game play but sword art looks interesting too

I'd go with SAO. Despite the bad localization, combat is pretty fun and deep, has lots of interesting and varied environments/enemies, and if you liked the anime, you'll get to see all the characters in the game and interact with them.

I haven't played Tales though, but other than the action gameplay, it looks boring on every front.

AsfaeksBR

Corpse Party IS scary. But it's more Japanese horror than American, in-your-face, jumpscare horror. The atmosphere is very unnerving, and sometimes, what you don't see is disturbing and more terrifying than that you do see (but you will see it; people die everywhere in this game). Coming from someone who usually stays as far from horror games as she can, I love the Corpse Party series. It's the characters and the story that make me sit through butt-clenching, whimper-inducing, goosebump-giving gameplay.

In short, yes. It's good.

I wouldn't really say that Corpse Party is scary. I'd say it's very tense and super disturbing, makes you feel very uncomfortable which is what you would want from a horror game. Some of the shit you see in that game is straight messed up. Also, play with headphones on for the best effect. You are welcome :p

Well, another game on the to-buy-and-play list. Thanks!

Prelude.

That might have me sold on tales honestly.
How's sword art compare? YouTube not wanting to work right now.
Edit:Working now
Kinda leaning towards tales for game play but sword art looks interesting too
Keep in mind that Hollow Fragment is more of a mmo type of combat where you chose an action and watch the combo play out.

Hikami

I'd go with SAO. Despite the bad localization, combat is pretty fun and deep, has lots of interesting and varied environments/enemies, and if you liked the anime, you'll get to see all the characters in the game and interact with them.

I haven't played Tales though, but other than the action gameplay, it looks boring on every front.
Well that's the problem
As someone who's played/beaten both, Tales was much more enjoyable

Here, I'll mirror your post for Tales;
Aside from some silly name changes the localization was pretty good. The combat is one of the best in the series yet imo-- tons of artes/skills/combos and like 8 playable characters all with different playstyles. Lots of cities and locations to go to and dungeons that aren't copy/paste like most of SAO's are, some even have interesting puzzles to solve in them. The character interactions are the best part of the game, there are "skits" where characters just talk about stuff and some of them can be hilarious, sad, etc.

I'm not saying SAO is bad though, I'm a huge fan of the anime-- I put 101 hours into Hollow Fragment and enjoyed it.
Tales of Hearts R was just much more enjoyable for me though.

Ventara

Well that's the problem
As someone who's played/beaten both, Tales was much more enjoyable

Here, I'll mirror your post for Tales;
Aside from some silly name changes the localization was pretty good. The combat is one of the best in the series yet imo-- tons of artes/skills/combos and like 8 playable characters all with different playstyles. Lots of cities and locations to go to and dungeons that aren't copy/paste like most of SAO's are, some even have interesting puzzles to solve in them. The character interactions are the best part of the game, there are "skits" where characters just talk about stuff and some of them can be hilarious, sad, etc.

I'm not saying SAO is bad though, I'm a huge fan of the anime-- I put 101 hours into Hollow Fragment and enjoyed it.
Tales of Hearts R was just much more enjoyable for me though.

I don't know. I've watched a few videos and reviews of it and it's just not clicking with me, and I'm usually good at telling if I'll like a game. It just looks so bland and boring. Maybe if it goes under $10, I'll give it a shot.

Hikami

I don't know. I've watched a few videos and reviews of it and it's just not clicking with me, and I'm usually good at telling if I'll like a game. It just looks so bland and boring. Maybe if it goes under $10, I'll give it a shot.
Yeah I understand, it'll definitely go under $10 sometime though seeing how bamco discounts the PS3 tales games.

Kudo

Is Dungeon Hunter Alliance still on sale, does it work on PS3 or only PS Vita version on sale?
Looks like a great couch co-op game! Somehow missed this.

kng3025

Is Dungeon Hunter Alliance still on sale, does it work on PS3 or only PS Vita version on sale?
Looks like a great couch co-op game! Somehow missed this.

Yeah, it's still on sale but will probably go back to regular price early Monday morning. It's the ps vita version that's on sale, so it won't work on the PS3. Just picked it up and enjoying so far.

Kudo

Yeah, it's still on sale but will probably go back to regular price early Monday morning. It's the ps vita version that's on sale, so it won't work on the PS3. Just picked it up and enjoying so far.

Alright, thanks for the info. Just checked Ps3 and looks like it's not purchasable there at all, can only download the free trial for some reason, weird.

RK128

Sword Art Online or Tales of Hearts R?

I can't decide... :/

I will link to posts I made in this and the sale thread to help you:
"-SAO is a great action JRPG that has hundreds of hours worth of content with some of the Vita's most colorful visuals. The combat system is quite deep and the level systems will lead you investing hours into your characters. Great game that suffers from a bad translation (that can be funny at times) and expectation that you saw the anime prior to playing (up to episode 13-14). Made a catch-up post in the sale thread that I will link here:

Regarding the story, look at the following:
-Takes place in a VR MMO, but the characters cannot log out due to that feature being locked out by the creator.
-Leads to everyone going into a panic, but coming to the realization that they need to beat the game to be free (which is 100 Floors of dungeons).
-Main character Kirtio was a beta tester for the game before its launch, so he is skilled with its systems
-He meets his harl....I mean, cast of female friends across the anime
-Gets close to a female player named Asuna and they become 'married' in-game.
-Their 'daughter' is a AI program that they encountered in one of the anime's episodes, who they took in as their 'real' kid
-Final battle in the anime was in Floor 75 and in the anime, after the fight with the creator of the game, it ended, with everyone going free
-This game (Hallow Fragment) takes place in an different reality, where the game DOESN'T end, it just goes on and glitches out
-The cast of the anime have to deal with this and continue through the floors until they beat the final boss on Floor 100
-Character introductions are very clouded, so I will explain them here: Sinon was bought to the world due to a glitch during VR therapy. Leafa (Sugu) was brought to the game on her own will; used a friends NerveGear (the things they use to play SAO) and loged in to see her brother/cousin. Strea is a 'new' player in the game world but is a AI program similar to Kirtio's daughter; originally a mental-health montaring program in the game but was brought out with the other players after the 'glitch'. Philla is a player affected by the 'glitch', who after 'killing' another player, is locked in the Hallow Area (the first playable area in the game you see) and you work with her to fine a way out for her
-Everyone knows Kirto is married to Asuna but they don't care because they all want him :l. Hey, the game creators couldn't fix everything from the anime XD.
Originally Posted by RK128

A point I forgot to mention is this; the Hallow Area (the large open part of the game) and Alcard (Floors 75-100) are segregated in terms of game progression.

Hallow Area is the 'hard' part of the game, with high level foes roaming about and is the place you go to for strong gear, powerful swords and just level grinding. It also has its own story with Phila you need to complete in order to have her be part of your party/unlock events in Alicard.

Alicard is the 'normal' part of the game; you go into the fields, take on side quests from the quest NPC, and fight through the dungeon until you find the place's boss. After you do all of that, you pair up with a party member and you join a 'raid' to fight the boss. You gain bonuses if you land the last hit and if no one dies (as 'death' is a real death; you can't revive anyone. That is a huge reason why that is a big deal in the anime).

It's best to do them one at a time; get your footing in Alicard first in understanding the core combat systems/controls/party system. Then, go to the Hallow Area again (by the time your each say, Floor 80-82) then focus strictly on clearing the story for that while also exploring it to find powerful gear for the final stretches of that area.

My last suggestion is taking advantage of the multiplayer mode system, where you, a party member and four AI players can go into the Hallow Area and fight it out. The best part is that any EXP and Levels these AI players get, caries over to the single player mode. Fast way to level grind honestly XD.
-Tales of Hearts R is a great time so far, and I made a long post on my reactions fo the game. So, will link that here as well:

Put an hour into Tales of Hearts R and its good so far :).

The visuals are solid; nothing that amazing but they look very colorful and clean. And with the game being native res (I think so?) and running at a very smooth frame rate, the visuals work great for the game :D. Music wise, the game is good too, with the battle theme being cool.

Combat system here is great though; it feels a bit like Smash Bros. to me; you have the Up button the D-Pad to jump, the X button for basic attacks, O button for special attacks and you Square for blocking/dodging attacks. While it isn't exactly like Smash Bros., its close enough to it for me to really enjoy the combat system :). Once I fully grasp its mechanics, that should be the highlight of the game for me.

The leveling systems are also very interesting, as you have a lot of customization to play around with; you gain points when you level up (10+ points per level) and those points can be applied to one of five parts of your Spira (Heart). Each part covers a different thing and even you don't fully level a part, you still get something from each point you apply to it, leading to a lot of options for leveling up. You even get special gear if you do it well; I fully leveled to two parts, and they connected, leading to me gaining a very powerful sword for Kor (the main character) to use in combat.

The story is....generic, abet with some charm and personality thrown into the mix. Plot of 'main character fucks something up and goes on a quest to do things right' with a dash of 'parental figure dying at the beginning' and even the 'love interest' being shoved into the game not even 20 minutes in.

But that isn't a bad thing; with those 'core' things in place after the first half-hour, you can see the translator's efforts to make the game have character come though. Each character has there own little quarks and you do get a sense of growth. Even only an hour in, I'm starting to see that, so I'm interested to see what happens next :).

Overall, really glad I got this; great summer RPG to play through alongside VC2 (and I never played those types of games before....should be fun :))."

Li Kao

That's a skill that's present in a lot of Tales games. Dealing 1 damage is useful for trophy farming.

That's a battle skill nearly every Tales game gets for showing off flashy combos and nowadays also helps in getting some of the trophys when enemies just die too quickly. Nothing to worry there. There is also the possibility to adjust difficulty, going by past Tales games, easy will have you breeze through every encounter if you're not in the mood for it.

I played 8 hours now, on normal, and most monsters drop even a tad bit too fast. Might turn it up to hard soon.

Thanks guys. It's only my second Tales game and the first one was years ago. I can't say I'm used to the way the series does things :O

So I played some good hours of it, I don't know, four or five hours maybe, and as I feared I'm not really into it. But not really displeased either. I guess if we go by a definition of 'doesn't do anything good (but nothing wrong either)', then Man God must be right by calling it mediocre. But since it's a very loaded term that everyone could take differently, let's settle for bland.

Like I said, it's NOT bad either. There is some nice humorous moments, the character design isn't bad, character's personalities are nice, a lot of things are pretty good.
It's just that, I don't know, there is this persistent feel of a game that tries to be good but fails at it somehow. Maybe the bland protag, or the story which has its moments but never really fascinates.

All in all I had fun with the game and will gladly continue playing. I have some reservation with the combat though. Feels somewhat unresponsive. Blocking and combos don't work as easily as I would like. But maybe I will grow accustomed to it.

RK128

Thanks guys. It's only my second Tales games and the first one was years ago. I can't say I'm used to the way the series does things :O

So I played some good hours of it, I don't know, four or five hours maybe, and as I feared I'm not really into it. But not really displeased either. I guess if we go by a definition of 'doesn't do anything good (but nothing wrong either)', then Man God must be right by calling it mediocre. But since it's a very loaded term that everyone could take differently, let's settle for bland.

Like I said, it's NOT bad either. There is some nice humorous moments, the character design isn't bad, character's personalities are nice, a lot of things are pretty good.
It's just that, I don't know, there is this persistent feel of a game that tries to be good but fails at it somehow. Maybe the bland protag, or the story which has its moments but never really fascinates.

All in all I had fun with the game and will gladly continue playing. I have some reservation with the combat though. Feels somewhat unresponsive. Blocking and combos don't work as easily as I would like. But maybe I will grow accustomed to it.

I can understand what you are saying; the story (a big driving force of a JRPG) is far from the games strongest element, as it is birthed from conventions and stables of the genre that were covered/utilized better in many, many other JRPG's. But, the charming characters and great localization really help mask the 'samey-ness' the games story has most of the time.

The combat system is a blast, the presentation while nothing amazing looks colorful and clean and the cast, like I mentioned before, is really charming.

I am really enjoying the game myself, so I happily recommend it for this flash sale price :D.

Edit: Top of the page :D! Everyone get Tales of Hearts R, Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment and more while the flash sale is still live!

Top Bottom