• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | September 2015

RK128

If you have a Vita and like shmups the new PSOne classic is pretty good.
I'm getting once the store updates.

So the PS1 Classic coming out this week is solid :)? That sounds great :D! Might get it later when I get a lot of Vita games (want my backlog to die down a lot and need to get funds to get games this fall....a PS4 and a lot of Vita games will eat a lot of money).

Thank you for the impressions Tizoc :D!

Question to those who played Alundra on the VITA: How did you remap your buttons? I just started and the original button layout seems a little unorthodox to me. It looks like L2 and R2 and Start have the same function? I wanted to eliminate the backtouch and just condense some of the buttons into one if I will not be needing them.

So what are your predictions for TGS? I'm feeling like it will be quite underwhelming for Vita. I think GR 2 will be PSV/4 but besides that nothing else.

Hmm, 90 minutes and morpheus games is hard to show on a stage. I fear that the conference will have the same western focus as last year but I'm hoping for a lot of vita announcements (SRPG>ARPG>DRPG)

sequels im hoping for:

FW2
SS2
"Natural Doctrine 2"(same mechanics, new art direction)

Remakes/late ports:

FFXII
Catherine
Resonance of fate

Games I want to see more from:

Net High
World end eclipse
Tokyo xanadu
Saga
World of FF
Digimon world (?)
zero escape 3
Yoru no nai kuni
Summon night 6
Attack on titan
Exist archive
DQ builders
Hero death

Games I don't want(!):

Hatsune miku
Dynasty warriors
Senran kagura
Hyperdimension neptunia

autoduelist

I'd play Freedom Wars with you, if you're up for it.

Yeah, sounds good. Let me finish up the plat for DT2, it shouldn't be too long.

RE: Freedom Wars discussion -- I played for awhile when it first came out. I can't remember how far I got, probably 20% in? Like the other poster i forgot to quote who really enjoyed it, I spent most of my time sawing off limbs and such and having an absolute blast. It felt like it would be more fun coop so I sold it and waited for a sale (got it again digital). It might just be how you approach the game? I can't see sawing off limbs of giants mechs ever getting too old. I've heard the crafting system gets a bit rough towards the end, which I'm not looking forward to... but if coop makes it even more fun that it was beforehand, I'm good to go.

redcrayon

Yeah, sounds good. Let me finish up the plat for DT2, it shouldn't be too long.

RE: Freedom Wars discussion -- I played for awhile when it first came out. I can't remember how far I got, probably 20% in? Like the other poster i forgot to quote who really enjoyed it, I spent most of my time sawing off limbs and such and having an absolute blast. It felt like it would be more fun coop so I sold it and waited for a sale (got it again digital). It might just be how you approach the game? I can't see sawing off limbs of giants mechs ever getting too old. I've heard the crafting system gets a bit rough towards the end, which I'm not looking forward to... but if coop makes it even more fun that it was beforehand, I'm good to go.
Crafting gets really rough in the post-game if you want the final best weapons, due to needing random, rare drops from specific missions. It's really only for the truly dedicated. It's completely unnecessary if you want to just play through the campaign, I muddled through just making new weapons with the bits and bobs that I had.

Yeah, sawing bits off mech never gets old, there's something quite primal about dismembering them with a chainsaw!

redcrayon

Question to those who played Alundra on the VITA: How did you remap your buttons? I just started and the original button layout seems a little unorthodox to me. It looks like L2 and R2 and Start have the same function? I wanted to eliminate the backtouch and just condense some of the buttons into one if I will not be needing them.
Have you tried a long touch on the front touch screen? That brought up options in sone PSOne games. Its been a while since I played Alundra on Vita.

From uk.playstation.com, I can't remember if it will let you unassign buttons but it might do.

Assign Touchscreen

[Assign Touchscreen] is a feature under [Controller Settings] in the PS one Classic software menu.

You can assign controller buttons of the original PlayStation system to the four corners of the PS Vita system's touchscreen.

When PS one Classic software is running, touch and hold the screen to display the menu, and then tap [Controller Settings] > [Assign Touchscreen]. Assign buttons by following the on-screen instructions and tap [OK].

Assign Rear Touch Pad

[Assign Rear Touch Pad] is a feature under [Controller Settings] in the PS one Classic software menu.

You can assign the rear touch pad to act like buttons on a controller for the original PlayStation system. Select the left half to assign the L1 button/L2 button/L3 button, and select the right half to assign the R1 button/R2 button/R3 button.

Man, I hope TGS delivers for Vita. It's the only time of the year I can legitimately have some expectations :p

And I don't even mean bigger stuff. Because the bigger it is, the less chance of it coming west unless there's a PS4 version too (which their most likely will be, lol). Just the kinda smaller stuff that has a chance of being picked up by the usual localization house crowd.

Though, the devs that make that kinda stuff aren't really TGS material aside from maybe Spike Chunsoft, so meh.

Anyway, I'm hyped for whatever it is. I own a PS4 too, so I can't be too disappointed if that's all the focus.

RK128

Man, I hope TGS delivers for Vita. It's the only time of the year I can legitimately have some expectations :p

And I don't even mean bigger stuff. Because the bigger it is, the less chance of it coming west unless there's a PS4 version too (which their most likely will be, lol). Just the kinda smaller stuff that has a chance of being picked up by the usual localization house crowd.

Though, the devs that make that kinda stuff aren't really TGS material aside from maybe Spike Chunsoft, so meh.

Anyway, I'm hyped for whatever it is. I own a PS4 too, so I can't be too disappointed if that's all the focus.

I honestly feel indifferent to TGS this year for some reason :l. I guess I'm not expecting that much considering we have a number of announcements for next year already (like Digimon CS for example), so if we get nothing, I won't get so upset.

E3 was surprising due to the fact we got a Vita game announced for the west, by Square Enix, and its a Final Fantasy game :D! Plus we have those rumored announcements of X-Com, Civ 2 and AC: Chronicles coming out at some point (plus the likely port of Ico Collection (if Last Guardian comes out next year) and Disney Infinity 3.0 (as 2.0 came to Vita early this year)). So the Vita is fine for next year in my book :).

This year for the Vita is going out with a bang with Dangronmpa Another Episode, SK: EV, Trials of Cold Steel and some huge indie games (Vita ports of Axiom Verge and Bastion alongside Super Meat Boy coming out on Vita next month :D!) this fall :).

Excited about what 2016 brings to the handheld and I hope TGS gives something for the console :D. But, considering how a lot of JP games are coming to the PS4 next year (alongside Vita), I have no idea if we are going to get major news on Vita releases for JP :l.

But at least we will be getting a few Vita/PS4 announcements and more information/gameplay on announced games (Ys, Dragon Quest Builders, World of Final Fantasy, ect).

I honestly feel indifferent to TGS this year for some reason :l. I guess I'm not expecting that much considering we have a number of announcements for next year already (like Digimon CS for example), so if we get nothing, I won't get so upset.

E3 was surprising due to the fact we got a Vita game announced for the west, by Square Enix, and its a Final Fantasy game :D! Plus we have those rumored announcements of X-Com, Civ 2 and AC: Chronicles coming out at some point (plus the likely port of Ico Collection (if Last Guardian comes out next year) and Disney Infinity 3.0 (as 2.0 came to Vita early this year)). So the Vita is fine for next year in my book :).

This year for the Vita is going out with a bang with Dangronmpa Another Episode, SK: EV, Trials of Cold Steel and some huge indie games (Vita ports of Axiom Verge and Bastion alongside Super Meat Boy coming out on Vita next month :D!) this fall :).

Excited about what 2016 brings to the handheld and I hope TGS gives something for the console :D. But, considering how a lot of JP games are coming to the PS4 next year (alongside Vita), I have no idea if we are going to get major news on Vita releases for JP :l.

But at least we will be getting a few Vita/PS4 announcements and more information/gameplay on announced games (Ys, Dragon Quest Builders, World of Final Fantasy, ect).

I mean TGS is cool and all, but if you are only looking at the Vita stuff, most of it is going to stay in Japan. This year you have FF XV, KH3, NieR, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Persona 5, etc which are all coming over and will probably make a presence in some way over there.

Shizuka

I mean TGS is cool and all, but if you are only looking at the Vita stuff, most of it is going to stay in Japan. This year you have FF XV, KH3, NieR, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Persona 5, etc which are all coming over and will probably make a presence in some way over there.

Honestly, that's the farthest from truth as it's ever been. NISA, Aksys, XSEED, Atlus, Namco, Koei Tecmo, they're all going for Vita titles as hard as they ever did.

Honestly, that's the farthest from truth as it's ever been. NISA, Aksys, XSEED, Atlus, Namco, Koei Tecmo, they're all going for Vita titles as hard as they ever did.

Where my God Eater at though Shizuka. My heart can only belong to this wish for so long. I need to move on.

Honestly, I'm not worried about 2016 too much. There's some great stuff already announced (Digimon; Trails 2; Odin Sphere) plus some great stuff that's almost certain to come (Yoru no Nai Kuni; Neptunia vs. Zombie Army; Tokyo Xanadu); still some indies I'm interested in (Drifter; Drift Stage; Energy Hook etc.) and of course the rumored stuff - all 3 of those (Ass Creed/Civ/XCOM) are something I'd be interested in playing.

But it's always nice to see the Vita getting continued support beyond that, and Japan is literally the only reliable market for that. I think TGS is maybe a little beyond Vita at this point because the "big" stuff is coming to PS4, and that's what Sony will want to show off.

But what I always forget is that Vita gets this stream of stuff announced throughout the year for Japan. I mean stuff like Yomawari or Hero Must Die from NIS, which is stuff I'd really like and has a legitimate chance of coming west, just gets announced whenever. So I shouldn't focus too much on what they actually show at the conference I guess!

Shizuka

Where my God Eater at though Shizuka. My heart can only belong to this wish for so long. I need to move on.

As much as you and I both want that game, it's still one game. There are a handful of titles that will be left in Japan, but pretty much every single big, medium and small japanese publisher and developer has a relationship of some sort with a western publisher by now.

Have you tried a long touch on the front touch screen? That brought up options in sone PSOne games. Its been a while since I played Alundra on Vita.

From uk.playstation.com, I can't remember if it will let you unassign buttons but it might do.

I actually know how to remap the buttons. Rereading my post and I phrased it wrong. My question was, for those that played through the vita, what were some of the custom button setups that people used for Alundra. I set up my own but I wanted to know what the veteran players did for their vita play through and if something more intuitive was done before I get used to my custom setup. Thanks though!

RK128

That isn't always the case, as Shizuka pointed out with many JP publishers/developers localizing things much faster then ever before (thanks to 2013/2014 JP games selling well on Vita in the west), but I like to be excited when localization are announced the same time the game is announced.

Going to give Tecmo-Koei major props to this, as the recently announced Attack on Titain was announced with an English Localization coming; that more excited about any TGS 2014 announcement (as I know I will be able to play it in the future), as we are still waiting on Ys and other games announced there to be brought over.

And like you said Names, where the heck is God Eater X(? We got the anime out on streaming services and they have two games to bring over. Not to mention that both have PS4 ports and many other Bamco games having PS4 versions in the west too (SAO Lost Song and Hollow Fragment, Digimon CS, ect).

They are just being stupid about that games localization :(. So my point is this; I am excited about what new games get announced at this years TGS, but I'm not overly excited like I was last year.

2015 has been a lot nicer to the Vita then 2014 (to me at least), so I will be fine if we don't get a lot of announcements at this years TGS for Vita. More information on announced games will be great though :).

As much as you and I both want that game, it's still one game. There are a handful of titles that will be left in Japan, but pretty much every single big, medium and small japanese publisher and developer has a relationship of some sort with a western publisher by now.

We can't forget that we still have no idea what NISA is planning to bring over to the west next year. Koei has been great and pretty much brings everything over. Atlus is hard at work, but their focus seems to be a little more on the 3DS these days. XSeed too has a ton of stuff on their plate, and Bamco for all the flack I give them for not announcing GE have been pretty decent with all of their latest announcements. Whoever says that the Vita is dead is just talking crazy talk. The ecosystem is alive. I still never hold out hope for Japanese announced stuff. I'd rather keep expectations low and be surprised in the end.

And like you said Names, where the heck is God Eater X(? We got the anime out on streaming services and they have two games to bring over. Not to mention that both have PS4 ports and many other Bamco games having PS4 versions in the west too (SAO Lost Song and Hollow Fragment, Digimon CS, ect).

They are just being stupid about that games localization :(. So my point is this; I am excited about what new games get announced at this years TGS, but I'm not overly excited like I was last year.

2015 has been a lot nicer to the Vita then 2014 (to me at least), so I will be fine if we don't get a lot of announcements at this years TGS for Vita. More information on announced games will be great though :).

Heck if I know but yeah it's a bit annoying. And seeing them trademark more and more stuff only adds on to my frustration. Just recently Summon Night 6 got trademarked too by the EU branch. And I'm just here waiting to kick some Aragami ass on my OLED...

Shizuka

We can't forget that we still have no idea what NISA is planning to bring over to the west next year. Koei has been great and pretty much brings everything over. Atlus is hard at work, but their focus seems to be a little more on the 3DS these days. XSeed too has a ton of stuff on their plate, and Bamco for all the flack I give them for not announcing GE have been pretty decent with all of their latest announcements. Whoever says that the Vita is dead is just talking crazy talk. The ecosystem is alive. I still never hold out hope for Japanese announced stuff. I'd rather keep expectations low and be surprised in the end.

NISA is bound to bring more Vita titles, even if it's just their own titles (Yomawari and that Hero game). That said, I'm still expecting more companies to join the race before it's all said and done, like the Vita ports of visual novels (Sekai Project, where you at?) and Gaijinworks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The way to look at it to satisfy all and sundry; The Vita will be just as dead in 2016 as it was the year it launched.

NISA is bound to bring more Vita titles, even if it's just their own titles (Yomawari and that Hero game). That said, I'm still expecting more companies to join the race before it's all said and done, like the Vita ports of visual novels (Sekai Project, where you at?) and Gaijinworks.

Man I really have my eye on that horror visual novel that always pops up on this thread, I forget its name but it has this girl covering her eye on the cover! The synopsis and the whole art style just looks phenomenal. I would definitely dig it.

Really? 2015 has been a bit of a let-down for me.

I mean, nothing drastic. But for example - two of the games I was looking forward to most in 2015 on Vita were a bit disappointing - Hotline Miami 2 and DanganRonpa: Another Episode. I still enjoyed both but they didn't live up to my expectations.

2014 was just a crazy awesome year for me. I really enjoyed it. Kicked off with a bang - TxK for a great indie followed by European release of Ys: Memories of Celceta and DanganRonpa 1, which was a really amazing surprise. Then followed up with a load of stuff I enjoyed - Demon Gaze was another nice surprise; Soul Sacrifice Delta was great; Sly Collection was fantastic to have on the go; as was Ratchet Trilogy & Dead Nation; I personally really liked the Borderlands 2 port even with performance issues etc.
Then in the latter half of the year we had DanganRonpa 2; Tales of Hearts; Neptunia Rebirth 1; Sword Art Online; Akiba Strip and Resogun.

2015 just hasn't been able to come close - I've enjoyed the slew of Neptunia titles; the two Gust games we got (Ayesha & Ar NoSurge); Steins;gate was a nice surprise; I'm hoping I'll like Resi Revelations 2 when my physical Asian copy gets here and there are a couple of games left to come (SAO; Trails 1 & EDF 2) that I'm looking forward to.

But I think 2014 was my favourite year in Vita gaming. Just so much good stuff.

Yeah I have to agree. My Vita was mostly a Destiny remote play machine this year. The only standout game for me this year so far was DR:AE. It's almost like all the stuff I want is coming now. P4DAN, Corpse Party, SAO:LS and ToCS. Still plenty of stuff to come, but these past 9 months have been pretty barren for me compared to 2014.

RK128

Really? 2015 has been a bit of a let-down for me.

I mean, nothing drastic. But for example - two of the games I was looking forward to most in 2015 on Vita were a bit disappointing - Hotline Miami 2 and DanganRonpa: Another Episode. I still enjoyed both but they didn't live up to my expectations.

2014 was just a crazy awesome year for me. I really enjoyed it. Kicked off with a bang - TxK for a great indie followed by European release of Ys: Memories of Celceta and DanganRonpa 1, which was a really amazing surprise. Then followed up with a load of stuff I enjoyed - Demon Gaze was another nice surprise; Soul Sacrifice Delta was great; Sly Collection was fantastic to have on the go; as was Ratchet Trilogy & Dead Nation; I personally really liked the Borderlands 2 port even with performance issues etc.
Then in the latter half of the year we had DanganRonpa 2; Tales of Hearts; Neptunia Rebirth 1; Sword Art Online; Akiba Strip and Resogun.

2015 just hasn't been able to come close - I've enjoyed the slew of Neptunia titles; the two Gust games we got (Ayesha & Ar NoSurge); Steins;gate was a nice surprise; I'm hoping I'll like Resi Revelations 2 when my physical Asian copy gets here and there are a couple of games left to come (SAO; Trails 1 & EDF 2) that I'm looking forward to.

But I think 2014 was my favourite year in Vita gaming. Just so much good stuff.

I just felt like the Vita was treated better this year than 2014. Sure, we got the Sony being Sony, but outside of that, I went back to the 2014 library of games (thanks to killer sales) and really loved the announcements we got this year.

Digimon CS being announced for localization (as was SAO: Lost Song) made me very happy honestly :D.

It sucks we got no Sony-developed games but JP software and indie games made up for that for me honestly.

Shizuka

Man I really have my eye on that horror visual novel that always pops up on this thread, I forget its name but it has this girl covering her eye on the cover! The synopsis and the whole art style just looks phenomenal. I would definitely dig it.

Corpse Party Blood Drive? That's most likely out next month.

Corpse Party Blood Drive? That's most likely out next month.

Nope it's a JP game by NIS. It has a long name lol. I want THAT to come over.

EDIT FOUND IT:

theater_shin_hayarigami.jpg

Shin Hayarigami

batrush

Regarding NA Vita releases the only standouts from 2014 for me were DR 1 & 2. I can easily see 2015 topping 2014 quality-wise, if it hasn't already. SUK+, S;G, DT2, DR:AE, Ar nosurge, and there's still Corpse Party and Trails to go.

Taiko is responsible for most of the time I spent on the system this year though.

Heck if I know but yeah it's a bit annoying. And seeing them trademark more and more stuff only adds on to my frustration. Just recently Summon Night 6 got trademarked too by the EU branch. And I'm just here waiting to kick some Aragami ass on my OLED...

Well Atlus JP develops a ton of stuff for 3DS despite P4G and P4D selling well on Vita. Only natural for them to localize a ton of 3DS stuff.

Vita not as good as previous years but these gave been great this year:

Whoa Dave!
Super Time Force Ultra
Geometry Wars 3
Olli Olli 2
Fat Princess Piece of Cake
Duke Nukem
Shovel Knight

RK128

Any hunting games on the horizon for the Vita in 2016?

Or I can still go back to Toukiden Kiwami and SSD

God Eater series (2:Rage Burst and GE: Resurrection) could fit that void....if they are localized next year :l. Maybe TGS will announce a few Hunting games but otherwise, don't expect much :l.

2015 Vita) highlights IMO:

Steins;Gate
The Swindle
Kick & Fennick
Tokyo twilight ghost hunters
Helldivers
Broken age
Grim fandango
Flame over
Hotline miami 2
Monster bag
Oreshika
Olliolli 2
Super time force
Stealth inc 2
Element4l
*ar no surge
*Lost dimension
*Nova-111

*haven't played much, but seems promising

looking forward to:

Bastion
Salt and sanctuary
Darkest dungeon
Trails of cold steel
Banner saga
New n tasty
Super meatboy
Ronin
Big fest

I don't understand why you aren't hyped for TGS *climbs aboard the hypetrain*, so what if we get disappointed!?

*the train starts moving* Tuturuu!

VLiberty

I had straight to zero expectations for this TGS other than seeing Gravity Rush 2 again (though PS4 only will be heartbreaking), but after that PS2 classics rumor with Ape Escape 2 being one of the first games...pls SCEJA, deliver. We want Ape Esape 4

dracula_x

I had straight to zero expectations for this TGS other than seeing Gravity Rush 2 again (though PS4 only will be heartbreaking), but after that PS2 classics rumor with Ape Escape 2 being one of the first games...pls SCEJA, deliver. We want Ape Esape 4

Btw, I have feeling that news is related to Paris Games Week conference rather than to SCEJA conference.

Kudo

I hope people are ready for the Persona 5 release date, SCEJA conference tomorrow.
Personally I'd love to see some of that Bloodborne Expansion, but if the do give us release date for P5, I think I'll be fine.

Yomidi

What are the chances of seeing Danganronpa 3 tomorrow? I would love to see it.
I would be also fine with some more Zero Escape 3.

Top Bottom