• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | September 2015

RK128

There is also SaGa, Setsuna and DQH2. A lot of Vita titles from Squeenix, I'm impressed.

I'm surprised too; they see a lot of potential for Vita sales so its great to see them release a lot of games coming next year for the platform :D.

Hope that FFXII HD is on the way for Vita as well (plus the KH Collections) and I would be very happy with Square's output on Vita before all is said and done :).

crinale

I honestly think Sony is just trying to be efficient. I mean being the handheld in Japan has the pull and install based isn't that irrelevant anymore, so third parties aren't ignoring them and Sony can focus the effort to what is not selling in Japan currently, the PS4. I never, ever expected SE to actually come back to Vita (they are even making Vita exclusive RPG, who would have thought of that 2 years ago?) It’s still a bummer that Vita is on life support at the Western market, though.

There is also SaGa, Setsuna and DQH2. A lot of Vita titles from Squeenix, I'm impressed.

It's worth mentioning Darius Burst is also coming to Vita as well.

Shizuka

It's worth mentioning Darius Burst is also coming to Vita as well.

That's like saying Sega has a Vita title because Persona 4 Dancing All Night is coming. Not really an Square-Enix brand, just from a company owned by Square-Enix.

Still totally valid, though. I didn't make the connection myself.

crinale

That's like saying Sega has a Vita title because Persona 4 Dancing All Night is coming. Not really an Square-Enix brand, just from a company owned by Square-Enix.

Still totally valid, though. I didn't make the connection myself.

What I wanted to say is Taito never makes financial decisions without SE higher ups' approval. If Wada were still on helm Darius would be PS4/PC only.
.. or Xbox / PC

autoduelist

I don't agree with a few parts of your post.

Personally I don't think Sony did their best with supporting the console. I mean it is the first Sony console that lost first party support in what, 3 years?

Aside Uncharted, none of the bigger Sony titles made it to the system. No Gran Turismo, no God of War, no Infamous. There was already a huge stigma around the console that is still going on even on GAF, "no games". And Sony didn't act on time to get rid of it. I don't buy the "industry wanted Vita dead" approach because 3DS and PS3 had the same issue but with meaningful support they survived. I mean okay maybe Vita was never going to be a huge success but I think they led Vita to its situation themselves.

But I don't think that's true. Vita had a large launch line up, including Uncharted as a heavy hitter. It didn't matter. They secured Call of Duty. Assassin's Creed. Didn't matter.

They were making AAA titles in late 2013 (Killzone was Sept, Tearaway was Nov) .... didn't matter. They didn't sell.

Would GT have 'saved it'? Would Infamous? I don't know, I don't think so. They'd have gotten standard Vita reviews (not as good as the console versions!) and fallen away, just like the absolutely amazing KZ: Mercs.

At some point they had to call it. They really did. But instead of just giving up, they threw their support behind what people -were- buying... indies and localizations.

How much support would have satisfied you? How many games that didn't sell well? If they had tried one more, say, infamous, would that be enough? Well, what about them getting us Borderlands, a huge IP? Oh, that doesn't count either, because it didn't run well enough for some.

Be thankful they shifted their time, energy, and money to indies and localizations, because while we might have gotten Infamous and GT before it died completely, instead we have a huge pipeline of new games every month that shows no signs of stopping.

RK128

But I don't think that's true. Vita had a large launch line up, including Uncharted as a heavy hitter. It didn't matter. They secured Call of Duty. Assassin's Creed. Didn't matter.

They were making AAA titles in late 2013 (Killzone was Sept, Tearaway was Nov) .... didn't matter. They didn't sell.

Would GT have 'saved it'? Would Infamous? I don't know, I don't think so. They'd have gotten standard Vita reviews (not as good as the console versions!) and fallen away, just like the absolutely amazing KZ: Mercs.

At some point they had to call it. They really did. But instead of just giving up, they threw their support behind what people -were- buying... indies and localizations.

How much support would have satisfied you? How many games that didn't sell well? If they had tried one more, say, infamous, would that be enough? Well, what about them getting us Borderlands, a huge IP? Oh, that doesn't count either, because it didn't run well enough for some.

Be thankful they shifted their time, energy, and money to indies and localizations, because while we might have gotten Infamous and GT before it died completely, instead we have a huge pipeline of new games every month that shows no signs of stopping.

And Sony was smart in pulling that move; by focusing on establishing indies and JP publisher/developers on Vita, it allowed an endless flow of releases to be established.

Every other month or day, games are announced for the Vita or ports of indie games get announced. And this years TGS shows how much 3rd parties want to support the Vita with software.

Sony did good for the long term with the Vita, not the short term. Thus, it lead to them ditching the Vita with first party games.

But considering the games they did make on Vita, its hard to be too mad at them for leaving; they did leave behind a lot of great new (Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Unit 13) and old (Uncharted, Killzone, Hot Shots Golf, LBP, Wipeout) IP :').

I am bitter that Gravity Rush and Tearaway jumped ship to PS4 but if the games are a bigger hit, then I can't really get to upset over things.

cyborg009

Banned
Wasn't Toukiden a big surprise when it released? Everyone thought it was going to bomb. the updated version did well too IIRC.

I've been downloading the Destiny update file for the past 12 hours because psn keeps stopping or slowing to a crawl even on rest mode.

Chuy

I've been downloading the Destiny update file for the past 12 hours because psn keeps stopping or slowing to a crawl even on rest mode.
Pause the update give it 5 seconds then try again. Worked for my friend having the same issue.
But yeah psn speeds have actually improved greatly for me over the past month and the update file took under 3 hours to download/install

batrush

Anyone able to download the Crash Bandicoot classics on the PSV (JP PSN)? See them in the PSV store, can't download them though.

Powwa

Yes they were but Killzone was never going to move any units, neither Tearaway. Tearaway Unfolded charted 33 on it's first week in UK and I don't think the situation is different anywhere else. While both games were great, their target audience is way too small, so problem wasn't really the device.

Those games I listed wouldn't save the Vita, but they could make meaningful impact with more consistent first party support. When you have a new handheld on the market that is struggling, you should give the message to potential buyers that you are still supporting the system, what exactly did they do in E3 2012 and 2013? I guess they were too busy with Wonderbook, lol.

I mean the 3rd party games you listed are big titles, I agree but they did more harm than good on the long run. Worst CoD in the series, a mediocre AC with performance issues, a 2 year old port of a game running on 15-20 fps most of the time. Do you think they left a good impression on people who were on the fence? What they should have done was to secure Monster Hunter, SE didn't even touch the system until recently (I'm quite surprised and happy about the recent announcements), Capcom completely ignored it as well, nothing from Level-5 etc. What I'm saying is, while Vita had 3rd party support, the games it had was mostly for a specific niche.

Yes, dedicated handhelds are a dying breed, but I think there is still a market for it, even though it is much smaller than before. In the end I won't be thankful to Sony just because they are doing the things they should normally do. I understand your point of view, but I just don't see it that way.

Sony aside, I'm satisfied with the quality of the product and 3rd party games, I would be a lot happier If we received a few more localizations though.

kunnikuman

Neo Member

Ignorance is such a bliss.

exclusive [/I]RPG, who would have thought of that 2 years ago?)

Come *back* to Vita? Implying they were there in the first place? :p

I know what you mean though, I never thought I'd see them committing to the console the way they have. Final Fantasy XII HD will be the next big test, but I can see it happening.

Edit: just searched and indeed Exist archive will come to Japanese vitas in December. I'm pretty excited for this as it is an spike chunsoft - tri ace production. The music and style its pretty much like Valkyrie profile. So yeah please localize thisssss. Looks awesome.

Sorry, should've been a bit clearer. I didn't mean Exist Archive wasn't coming to Vita - I meant that it feels like it started life as a Vita exclusive and got bumped up to PS4 as well when Sony decided to go hard on the console and scouted every game they could for it.

I just saw the attack on titan video (with bits of gameplay) and I feel like it could end up better than I expected (especially the animation of the big guys looks weighty, in a good way). Cant wait to see more from that game this week :)

BTW, what happened to the (PS4) Level 5 game that was supposed to be shown at E3?

When it comes to the Vita, I've harped on it before but my only real issue was them not releasing a Gran Turismo for it. I don't care about "saving" consoles but GTPSP was their second highest selling PSP game and business sense would tell you that they'd go back to the well for their 2nd portable. Honestly as long as Koei Tecmo continues their unrelenting Vita support I'm" thoroughly satisfied. I still want Phantasy Star Nova though, I don't even care that it's old by this point I'd take a digital download if need be.

Speaking of Vita, what are the odds of Luminous Arc Infinity getting localized?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
When it comes to the Vita, I've harped on it before but my only real issue was them not releasing a Gran Turismo for it. I don't care about "saving" consoles but GTPSP was their second highest selling PSP game and business sense would tell you that they'd go back to the well for their 2nd portable. Honestly as long as Koei Tecmo continues their unrelenting Vita support I'm" thoroughly satisfied. I still want Phantasy Star Nova though, I don't even care that it's old by this point I'd take a digital download if need be.

Speaking of Vita, what are the odds of Luminous Arc Infinity getting localized?

Since thats a Marvelous title would imagine that Xseed would be the ones to do it if they decide to pick up the title for localization.

Valkyria

Banned
The thing that raised my eyebrow is that many games are getting a Ps4/Vita treatment, and I'm ready to bet money that Sony pushed many of them into PS4, because third parties actually see more return in Vita than in Ps4.

People, specially in this forum, are gonna go kicking and screaming into the future of gaming, being the death of dedicated platforms and turning into a service, accessed through personal devices. The smartphone revolution is the very beginning of it.

Since thats a Marvelous title would imagine that Xseed would be the ones to do it if they decide to pick up the title for localization.

Well that's unfortunate, considering the plate XSEED already has it looks like LAI may get lost in the noise.

The thing that raised my eyebrow is that many games are getting a Ps4/Vita treatment, and I'm ready to bet money that Sony pushed many of them into PS4, because third parties actually see more return in Vita than in Ps4.

Everyone already pointed it out last year, they are incentivizing Japanese third parties to develop for PS4 to push them away from Vita support.

autoduelist

Yes they were but Killzone was never going to move any units, neither Tearaway. Tearaway Unfolded charted 33 on it's first week in UK and I don't think the situation is different anywhere else. While both games were great, their target audience is way too small, so problem wasn't really the device.

Those games I listed wouldn't save the Vita, but they could make meaningful impact with more consistent first party support. When you have a new handheld on the market that is struggling, you should give the message to potential buyers that you are still supporting the system, what exactly did they do in E3 2012 and 2013? I guess they were too busy with Wonderbook, lol.

I mean the 3rd party games you listed are big titles, I agree but they did more harm than good on the long run. Worst CoD in the series, a mediocre AC with performance issues, a 2 year old port of a game running on 15-20 fps most of the time. Do you think they left a good impression on people who were on the fence? What they should have done was to secure Monster Hunter, SE didn't even touch the system until recently (I'm quite surprised and happy about the recent announcements), Capcom completely ignored it as well, nothing from Level-5 etc. What I'm saying is, while Vita had 3rd party support, the games it had was mostly for a specific niche.

Yes, dedicated handhelds are a dying breed, but I think there is still a market for it, even though it is much smaller than before. In the end I won't be thankful to Sony just because they are doing the things they should normally do. I understand your point of view, but I just don't see it that way.

Sony aside, I'm satisfied with the quality of the product and 3rd party games, I would be a lot happier If we received a few more localizations though.

I don't disagree with any of your points -- I don't doubt that AC and CoD weren't the best entries. Likewise, Borderlands had performance issues.

But stuff like that happens -- and it's not necessarily Sony's fault. Even when a Vita game performs amazingly, like KZ: Mercs, it got shredded for other 'portable' related issues (shorter missions, etc). Reviewers gave it a hard time for being short, but personally? I had a blast replaying each level in various ways as it was meant to be played, and the MP was great.

As for Monster Hunter? We don't know enough about that. Maybe it wasn't Sony's decision. Or maybe there was an amount of money required that Sony wasn't able to meet. Maybe one dumb exec made one big dumb decision. Maybe one exec made the only decision s/he could given other factors out of their control.

You're also doing a bit of backseat driving [I don't mean this aimed at just you - i mean this at all of us, really] -- you know, now, that CoD wasn't great, or that AC wasn't what you wanted it to be. But when Sony was getting those games produced, they didn't have precog and know in advance the games wouldn't meet expectations. They were doing their best to secure solid franchises, but people instead blame them for inferior games.

Likewise, you're dismissing great games like KZ and Tearaway. If they never greenlighted Tearaway, we could sit here and be like 'oh, and Sony should have brought more of it's patented -unique- games to Vita, you know, take chances on light hearted games like they did on PS3 -- games like LBP or Puppeteer" But they -did- do this, with Tearaway, so instead of being upset they didn't do it, we find reasons for Tearaway's failure (oh, it released at a bad time, or Sony didn't market it right, or whatever).

But all of that backseat driving is easy in retrospect. We can aim our complaints with laser precision, because we see all the final results. But at the time, imo, Sony was throwing a -lot- at the Vita. Securing major franchises, getting us great entries in Sony franchises like KZ, bringing us unique experiences... and the only thing that -stuck- (aka, sold well) was indies and localizations. I just can't blame Sony for recognizing that. I can understand why people wish it wasn't so.... but from a business perspective, I can't get mad at them.

Ultimately, we can all point to many reasons the Vita didn't sell to expectation. Where some of us disagree is where to place the blame.

Ignorance is such a bliss.

You're still here, and your posts continue to be borderline worthless, borderline trolling. Congrats on not getting banned yet, I guess.

GTVita wouldn't even be a difficult job. And it doesn't need to be done by Polyphony either - you just need a studio to move assets over from GT5 and up-res some stuff from the PSP version. And it wouldn't set the sales charts on fire, but it'd help in both Japan (bit of diversity in lineup) and Europe (who still like racing games).

I don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.

re. Phantasy Star Nova, I still hold out irrational hope that Gio Corsi gets to take a shot at it thanks to SEGA/Sony relationship started with Yakuza 5 localization.

It won't, they localized Lord of Magna, for Christ's sake. If that made it to the west, I'm sure LAI will.

I'll remain hopeful and that you didn't jinx it lol. Also didn't even catch my obvious misspelling, thanks.

GTVita wouldn't even be a difficult job. And it doesn't need to be done by Polyphony either - you just need a studio to move assets over from GT5 and up-res some stuff from the PSP version. And it wouldn't set the sales charts on fire, but it'd help in both Japan (bit of diversity in lineup) and Europe (who still like racing games).

I don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.

re. Phantasy Star Nova, I still hold out irrational hope that Gio Corsi gets to take a shot at it thanks to SEGA/Sony relationship started with Yakuza 5 localization.

You're right on point, pretty much what I've said since the beginning, no clue why they didn't outsource it. It didn't need to be an Earth shattering product, because GTPSP sure wasn't but that didn't stop people from buying it. Regarding PSNova, that's pretty much where I am at; it's a long shot but man I am still holding out for it.

wjepsQk.jpg

Foul Play PS4 - It is a pretty good 2D brawler that you can pick up as pay what you want for as low as $2. 90% of proceeds go to charity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StkBmZ0HmeE

52y4wZB.jpg

Frozen Free Fall PS4 - Free to play garbage. Not worth your time. Terrible phone game now in 1080p.

kT6ylPK.jpg

Mad Max PS4 - Finally my childhood dream came true. If you aren't into Mad Max there are probably better open world games. Focus on car combat and brawling with very little shooting.

rCPNE8s.jpg

Adventures of Pip PS4 - Love this game. Great mix of puzzling and platforming. On the easy side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_NDv3mpLuM

Zhao_Yun

just finished the niconico stream of DQ builders and that looks great IMO. I prefer a smaller game to an "infinite" world (minecraft) and the game looked verry pretty (unlike minecraft which I think I would play a lot more if I could play it blindfolded).

18-Volt

You're right on point, pretty much what I've said since the beginning, no clue why they didn't outsource it. It didn't need to be an Earth shattering product, because GTPSP sure wasn't but that didn't stop people from buying it. Regarding PSNova, that's pretty much where I am at; it's a long shot but man I am still holding out for it.

It's pretty late for vanilla PS Nova but I fully expect a PS Nova upgraded version (probably will be called PS Nova Infinity) for both PS4 and Vita. That one would have much better chance to be localized.

Agito+ was cancelled.
The sooner vitabros will forget the whole type 0 thing, the better.

Type-0 was hyped to God tier levels of good and it made Vita fans feel like they needed it that game.

Type-0 was bland as fuck. It's not a bad game but it's nowhere near 'best game ever'

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Type-0 was hyped to God tier levels of good and it made Vita fans feel like they needed it that game.

Type-0 was bland as fuck. It's not a bad game but it's nowhere near 'best game ever'

I'm guilty, i was really hyped by the awesome trailers and the demo so i made my best to get it, but when the fan translation was released i was so disappointed, yeah it looked great but it was so boring and gameplay/structure-wise it was too much on the mobile side, something i hate on big handheld games, i stopped playing after few hours, something that doesn't happen often.

Top Bottom