• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

SerTapTap

UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH. My 60 FPS remoteplay problems were due to leaving the terribly named "use wifi in power save mode" setting on my Vita. If you use Remoteplay or ANY networking feature on Vita, absolutely turn that feature off, it reduces wifi performance. There was a thread about it, thought I'd repeat for people who might not have seen it.

I still get some framedrops in heavy action but it's definitely better and looks really good even in 60 FPS. BTW, Senran Kagura Estival Versus has an extremely remoteplay friendly control scheme. In combat the only controls that aren't physical are "center camera" (which I don't use) and the "tag team attack" thing (front touchpad)

There is no chance for Dark Souls to be part of April's PS+ because there's no digital version of the game on PSN at all.

This is still totally ridiculous. It's apparently still a thing on PS4 too, though extremely rare (I think just puyo puyo tetris so far)

UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH. My 60 FPS remoteplay problems were due to leaving the terribly named "use wifi in power save mode" setting on my Vita. If you use Remoteplay or ANY networking feature on Vita, absolutely turn that feature off, it reduces wifi performance. There was a thread about it, thought I'd repeat for people who might not have seen it.

I still get some framedrops in heavy action but it's definitely better and looks really good even in 60 FPS. BTW, Senran Kagura Estival Versus has an extremely remoteplay friendly control scheme. In combat the only controls that aren't physical are "center camera" (which I don't use) and the "tag team attack" thing (front touchpad)

This is still totally ridiculous. It's apparently still a thing on PS4 too, though extremely rare (I think just puyo puyo tetris so far)
I post about it here at least once a week to people with the same problem. It baffles me that Sony would leave that checked as default...

SerTapTap

I post about it here at least once a week to people with the same problem. It baffles me that Sony would leave that checked as default...

The name is also extremely misleading. I don't personally mind shitty defaults as I'm always sure to dig through the options (but really, it shouldn't be default or remoteplay should disable it), but having a misleading name means even technically adept users might not realize it's an awful setting just by the name.

RK128

Oh, we are going to find out the Plus games for next month this week :D! Got to distracted by other games I've been playing to notice that XD.

Considering what is launching next week....I think the games for this month are the following:
PS4: Bastion, Knack
PS3: Dark Souls 2, Older Indie game
Vita: htoLNiQ: The Firefly Diary, Child of Light

Some of my picks are likely NOT to be the case (Knack is a stupid pick for PS+, Dark Souls 2 is getting a expanded re-release, so giving away the original is a odd move and The Firefly Diary, while a great looking game, is not likely to be a Vita Plus game), but just some guesses that could work :).

Man, gotta get another 3 months of plus too (didn't get a year of it over the holidays :l).....

I know this isn't a Nintendo thread, but I'm excited about the Elite Awards coming on this Wednesday :D! Hoping for OoT3D or Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon to be a reward option :).

ZeroAKA

ibubWXwd7NiO06.png

Game of the Month voting has started! You may vote for one Vita/PS4/PS3 game that was released in March 2015. Games such as Toukiden Kiwami that will not be released in the US until next Tuesday will not be eligible for this vote. You can either PM me on GAF (which I prefer) or tweet/DM me on Twitter (@whoiszero). Please format the PM as shown below, or your PM may be ignored:
Subject: PSN GotM - <insert game title here>
Body: (optional - brief comment on why should people play this game or why this game deserves to be GotM)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think i'll play a little of Demon's Souls tonight, then i'll buy Dark Souls one of these days.

From Software believes Vita would be a poor choice for a Souls game because it's not a networked device. Yeah. Almost as bad as citing poor eyesight and resolution differences.
Meh, i have never played Demon's Souls online, so you can imagine what i think.

There is no chance for Dark Souls to be part of April's PS+ because there's no digital version of the game on PSN at all. Only Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2. So if you want to play the first game you're safe, but will also have to find a physical copy. I'll warn you now, if you play DkS 1 on PS3, when you get to the bottom of Blighttown or Anor Londo ruins, you will have to deal with 15 FPS slideshows. Every other part of the game runs fine, just be ready for those two areas and don't think the whole game will be that bad hah.
Thanks for the advice :)

Tohsaka

I'll be picking up Axiom Verge on Tuesday. I want Toukiden on PS4, too, but I don't really want to pay the $20 next-gen tax. I might just wait for it to go on sale.

Shizuka

Considering what is launching next week....I think the games for this month are the following:
PS4: Bastion, Knack
PS3: Dark Souls 2, Older Indie game
Vita: htoLNiQ: The Firefly Diary, Child of Light

Let's break it down: it won't be Bastion, it's part of the Spring Fever promo from Sony.

It won't be Knack, because the chance for it to happen has come and gone, people are just suggesting it month after month because they thought it was bound to happen.

It won't be Dark Souls 2, because we're getting a new Dark Souls 2 next month and delivering it on PS+ would kill a lot of sales for the new and improved version.

It won't be Firefly Diary because it has just come out and NISA will likely need sales for a couple of months before they can just offer it on PS+, not to mention it's too soon.

It can be an older indie game and Child of Light though, even though I think Child of Light won't happen on April since it's already an April game for Xbox+.

It can be Dishonored, since they mentioned it'll be a PS+ in the future after it was supposed to be PS+ in March.

It can be Stealth Inc 2, since the first game was PS+ and it's from a publisher into offering its games on PS+ all the time.

Other than that, who knows.

RK128

Let's break it down: it won't be Bastion, it's part of the Spring Fever promo from Sony.

It won't be Knack, because the chance for it to happen has come and gone, people are just suggesting it month after month because they thought it was bound to happen.

It won't be Dark Souls 2, because we're getting a new Dark Souls 2 next month and delivering it on PS+ would kill a lot of sales for the new and improved version.

It won't be Firefly Diary because it has just come out and NISA will likely need sales for a couple of months before they can just offer it on PS+, not to mention it's too soon.

It can be an older indie game and Child of Light though, even though I think Child of Light won't happen on April since it's already an April game for Xbox+.

It can be Dishonored, since they mentioned it'll be a PS+ in the future after it was supposed to be PS+ in March.

It can be Stealth Inc 2, since the first game was PS+ and it's from a publisher into offering its games on PS+ all the time.

Other than that, who knows.

Okay, so Dishonored and Stealth Inc are likely to be the PS3 and Vita games for the month (thought Stealth Inc. 2 was part of that promotion....didn't know Bastion was part of the sale either). I guess Child of Light might be a May/June game for the Vita then and older PS3/PS4 indie tittles will make up the rest of this month's Plus game.

Based on that alone....I think April is in for a good selection of games then :D.

No, I did not do any streaming and had no downloads going on.

400kb/s is very dissapointing on a PS4 connected with ethernet to a 100mb/s internet connection. I did test my download speed and found no problems there. So the problem lies with Sonys shitty servers.

Tested how? With Speedtest or the built in peak speed tester? That doesn't mean shit, to the point that they might as well not even have it there.

Loving the new topic about unchecking "Use Wifi in Power Save Mode" to get a better Vita 'net connection, I've only been saying it forever... lol
Well I could say the same but it is something easily avoidable by Sony. Its arguably more work code wise (2 or 3 lines but still) to have something checked than unchecked lol. Erase that from the code and everyone is happy lmfao.

SerTapTap

Are playstation videos region locked? I get an error about a network connection when trying to launch the OVA included with Estival Versus. And Sony was so (relatively) good about region locking for games...

autoduelist

If I've never made it through GOW 1, but always wanted to, but already own the collection on ps3 and vita... should i grab the two psp games while they're on sale plus that 10% coupon? Or am i just spending to spend?

I'd like to use that coupon though. Is 2013: Infected Wars any good?

The name is also extremely misleading. I don't personally mind shitty defaults as I'm always sure to dig through the options (but really, it shouldn't be default or remoteplay should disable it), but having a misleading name means even technically adept users might not realize it's an awful setting just by the name.

The issue is that the description is like one of those silhouette images that can be easily read two ways... and you don't even notice the other way. So whoever wrote it didn't even realize it was misleading, because to them it's quite clear that you're putting wifi into 'Power Save Mode'. That said, it should have been fixed based on complaints ages ago.

I'm truly surprised so many forum people don't know about the setting and its issues... i've seen it discussed at least 50 times over the years.

I normally dislike coop in games (I don't like people messing up my zen) but it's -so- good in Souls games, in part because it's so anonymous and temporary.

Well I could say the same but it is something easily avoidable by Sony. Its arguably more work code wise (2 or 3 lines but still) to have something checked than unchecked lol. Erase that from the code and everyone is happy lmfao.

It would only be changing a single digit. Wherever the variable is created and defaulted, you'd simply change a 0 to a 1 in most programming languages.

The actual work would be in sending it all back to QA for testing, etc, because you don't make firmware changes without triple checking everything (coder changed the wrong variable, for example).

v1perz53

I think i'll play a little of Demon's Souls tonight, then i'll buy Dark Souls one of these days.

Thanks for the advice :)

The Dark Souls OT is still very active and full of people wanting to talk about the game if you do start it and need any more info or advice. Also, since you mentioned playing Demon's Souls offline, Dark Souls loads online automatically when you start it, doesn't ask you to connect. If you want to play offline, just sign out of PSN from the XMB before starting it. I was unplugging my ethernet cord each time I started the game, but signing out of PSN is a lot easier hah.

Shizuka

I'm on the last year of Grim Fandango Remastered and I just found out you can run. YOU CAN RUN! I can't believe it, I must've spent hours just slowly walking through all the locations, one by one.

Tizoc

I'm on the last year of Grim Fandango Remastered and I just found out you can run. YOU CAN RUN! I can't believe it, I must've spent hours just slowly walking through all the locations, one by one.

I swear you kids these days, you gotta get a tutorial for EVERYTHING.
Back in my day we EXPERIMENTED and just mashed buttons to see wtf would happen. Heck that's how I learned about Strikers in KoF 99; I just mashed buttons and then figured which buttons call out strikers.
That and also read manuals while waiting for loading screens to finish.

autoduelist

Back in my day we EXPERIMENTED and just mashed buttons to see wtf would happen. Heck that's how I learned about Strikers in KoF 99; I just mashed buttons and then figured which buttons call out strikers.

My guide to enjoyable gaming (for physical, digital even easier):

Step 1: Open Game
Step 2: Put manual (if any) to the side unless you are the passenger in a car.
Step 3: Insert Game
Step 4: Start Game
Step 5: Find Run Button
Step 6: Find Skip/Speed Dialog button
Step 7: Enjoy

v1perz53

I don't know how much experimenting I did as a kid with games, but I definitely remember reading the shit out of the instruction manuals for games. Especially when my parents took me to the store to get a game, always busted out the manual on the ride home and read the whole thing because I was so excited to play.

Nowadays, 90% of games don't even come with instruction manuals. Electronic manuals just aren't the same... Makes the left side of the game case feel so empty with one piece of paper instead of a nice manual.

SerTapTap

The O/X situation is such a weird mess. It's been far more of a problem to me for playing Senran Kagura than the actual Japanese, I just learn what menu options do over time, OX always fucks with me. And now it's got me pressing O in Axiom Verge.

Shizuka

Finished Grim Fandango Remastered and got the platinum trophy. Tank controls didn't bother me, since I used touch controls for almost everything.

SerTapTap

The tank controls are fine. People are babies. The Adventure Game Logic was pretty damn rough sometimes though. I need to go back and finish that.

incpdo

I hate the " you are 5 years old" tutorials of this age . I mean if its a platform game or a fps game its obvious you use either the dpad or the left stick to move the character ,this kind of useless explanations in new tutorials are tiresome and lame. I hate too that new gamers need the same mechanism in every game making some games being the same one but with a different skin. I mean even when I love metal gear solid, the last installment has too much of " mainstream" design choices for my taste and im not sure i will support it.You notice when a game tries to achieve the new standard for design of the game industry. Regenerating health , autosave everything and checkpoints every 2 seconds makes games easy or dull and not a real challenge , some of them are too exaggerated for my taste. Then when the game uses a save system that is different like say re remake is a bad thing. Idk why. I respect everyone's tastes but im being forced to play games lacking variety in the overall design. And every game is turning into either a call of duty or an uncharted design wise. Indies in general don't care much about that and that's why they have my respects.

KalBalboa

Banned
Anyone else unable to log on to PSN?

My PS4 and Vita can't get onto Psn but are able to access the Internet (Netflix, browser) just fine.

Xenoflare

I got my Toukiden Kiwami early today woo

I had to run back to EB since they forgot my preorder code lol. But ahh well, I'm really happy with the game.

Rifles are bloody awesome

SerTapTap

Would anyone be interested in a longer-form impressions post on Estival Versus? I need some Content™ for my website anyway so I was thinking of doing a post on it. I kind of assume most people either already preordered the Japanese version or simply plan to wait for Xseed to localize it though.

SerTapTap

Same. Unlocked some Mordor trophies and they aren't syncing or even appearing on the PS4 GUI at the moment. I have the screen shots to prove I got them though, heh.

Your trophies will be fine. The UI can only sync with the server and won't show local-only trophies (for some reason), but they ARE stored locally and will be synced properly once your issues are over with. I found this out when playing a game before the trophy list is published...you get trophies, but you just get an error if you look at the game in the trophies app. All is well after they're published though

autoduelist

The tank controls are fine. People are babies. The Adventure Game Logic was pretty damn rough sometimes though. I need to go back and finish that.

I can't handle tank controls. It's just too cumbersome and slow for me.

ps - have you got bloodborne yet? holy hell get it.

Would anyone be interested in a longer-form impressions post on Estival Versus? I need some Content™ for my website anyway so I was thinking of doing a post on it. I kind of assume most people either already preordered the Japanese version or simply plan to wait for Xseed to localize it though.

i'd be interested on knowing your final verdict on Rack N Ruin. Basically, what would be your 'buy' price.

Takao

Banned
Are playstation videos region locked? I get an error about a network connection when trying to launch the OVA included with Estival Versus. And Sony was so (relatively) good about region locking for games...

This depends entirely on how the video is distributed:

A) If it's on the disc and acts as a Blu-Ray movie, it's almost certainly region locked. Japan and North America share the same BD code, so I guess you're from Europe?
B) If it's in-game it shouldn't be a problem.
C) If it's a download voucher it's country region locked.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Finished Danganronpa 2 today. Game doesn't know when to end. FF X-2 is next after some more Pokemon and likely Xenoblade but before FF V and SK2.

Khronico

Forgot to mention that I played the Toukiden Kiwami demo awhile back.

I think it's a cool game but IDK if it's for me. I'm just not into hunting games, the only one I really like is Freedom Wars. I'll probably pass on buying a copy for now.

Also played about 2 hours of Oreshika, it's fantastic so far. Still wrapping my head around all the mechanics at play here but I really like it.

TOTP: Buy Freedom Wars and Oreshika.

Edit: Still bummed that Damascus Gear looks really boring. The concept of a mech based ARPG is awesome but it doesn't look fun to play at all =|

Top Bottom