• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

BigDug13

They could have written a PS1 emulator for the PS4. Hell they probably could have gotten a PS2 one up.

I've resigned myself to the knowledge that I will have to stick with a PS3 phat for PS1/PS2/PS3 support.

But since the PS1 games are supported on PSP/PSV/PS3, I do hope they at least get that going on PS4 for digital games.

Miletius

I'm interested, but I'll wait and see on the selection and pricing. I'm actually more interested in this for the PS4 than any PS4 game right now, so this will probably be a big deciding factor for me on if I get a PS4 this year or a couple of years from now. I think I may be a special case though, because I never ended up owning a PS3.

Clawww

Sounds like an awful buisness descision. They'll never get enough people intersted in playing games with noticeable input lag. People wouldn't watch Netflix if the audio was a second behind the image. Sorry Sony.

there are people who claim to not be able to tell or care about the difference between 30/60fps or even different resolutions

so yeah im sure people with really slack standards will get something out of this

O97vSgi.png

LOL Geis is amazing as usual!

Oh, Gies.....

fizzgigg

Banned
If this means P5 and Kindgom Hearts 2.5 HD remix on PS4 then I'm all for it but something tells me this will only be older PS3 games

Yea they wont do that, That will make no sense to add a new game to the PSNOW list it would hurt sales Id say they would add it in later down the road but by time this comes out TLOU would of been a year old so maybe a year after the new games come out.

Frolow

Banned
Sounds like an awful buisness descision. They'll never get enough people intersted in playing games with noticeable input lag. People wouldn't watch Netflix if the audio was a second behind the image. Sorry Sony.

That's my concern as well. When I tried out OnLive there was horrible input lag, and I have fairly decent internet which should have been easily capable of handling it. Not to mention OnLive is a service with barely anyone using it. Compare that to Sony which will have millions of people trying to use Playstation Now when it comes out.

Yeah that Youtube site is wack, unless a video is a zipped mpeg file on my HD Im not watching it. It will never be popular.
The difference is that Youtube is free where as this will be a paid service.

bjaelke

EU "update" from the blog:
As you can see in the details below, it will launch in North America later this year. Unfortunately we’re not quite ready to confirm launch plans for PAL territories. When it comes to broadband provision, Europe is a considerably more complex region, with a huge number of different providers and varying connection speeds from country to country. In short, we need a little more time to ensure a smooth and successful roll-out.
Rest assured we are working hard to bring PlayStation Now to our region as quickly as possible, and will update you again when we have additional news to share. In the meantime, read on to find out what you can expect from this great new service:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/01/07/playstation-now-game-streaming-service-unveiled-at-ces/

Donos

How can you even say that? Onlive has like... what, 200 subscribers? This is gonna have 5 million subs on day 1. There's no network engineer alive that can predict what that's gonna be like in this new area of streaming. You literally have to judge it once it happens in a live setting.

Sony has to implemend a slow rollout. With 5-6 waves. When they unlock it on the first day and a lot of people try it out and it's a lagfest, many will turn away because they think that this is norm.

mdubs

Banned
It would be cool if they allowed certain compatible vita games to stream, (maybe to ps3/ps4 exclusively to keep it in the ecosystem and not cannibalize sales of the vita by allowing streaming of its games on phones).

Mostly because it would be cool to play P4G on console.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The fact that this is Vita compatible but I am not fond of the subscription model or rent by title.

Not joining a subscription model just to play my PS1, PS2, PS3 games on the Vita or PS4.

fizzgigg

Banned

I highly doubt they would put out a product that would have input lag just because a long time ago it had that doesnt me the technology is the same.

They have been working on this since they bought Gaikai, Business plans man.

Netflix is historically the one thats slowly still killing off TV...that and youtube.

Top Bottom