• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

tino

Banned
High re FF12 so good. Finally I can play a good FF on a plasma TV. Also a good looking DQ my bodyes are ready.

O97vSgi.png

It's par for the course to not take him seriously. I have nothing against the guy but almost every time someone points out something he says, it's something I personally heavily disagree with. That being said-- baby steps, Arthur. Of course Sony isn't going to launch it with hundreds of games or even anything close to the entire library, but I'm pretty sure Sony will handle this way better than Nintendo and their Virtual Console service.

Which is sad and stupid and pathetic all rolled up into one.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is the future of the "gaming console".

Sony works fast.

I'll be all over this with my Galaxy Note 10.1

So.... this is all awesome and shit, but I want to know how this is linked to PS+. Will I be getting free PS3 games on PS4 through this?

I've been waiting for Sony to reach this stage with the brand, but I have a lot of questions about price and how it links with PS+.

Gamerloid

I hope I get into the beta. Never had a PS3, so playing the Naughty Dog games would be nice.

So IF this service is actually any good, why would I need a PS4?

Can't stream PS4, Vita, or PSP games. So you'll need a PS4 and Vita for full backwards compatibility.

Loudninja

In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 US models of Sony’s BRAVIA TV lineup will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.

Leveraging Gaikai’s advanced cloud-based technology, PlayStation Now will allow you to:

• Play video games instantly across multiple devices, similar to the way you might stream TV, movies, and music.
  • Stream full games to all of your compatible PlayStation devices including PS4, PS3, and PlayStation Vita as well as non-PlayStation devices, beginning with 2014 BRAVIA TV models and expanding to numerous other Internet-connected devices.
  • Always play the most updated version of your game. With games hosted in the cloud, you can take your game with you – just log in with your Sony Entertainment Network account on a compatible device and your games and saved progress will be easily available.

We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles.

PS Now will begin a Beta program in the US at the end of January with an expected full roll-out in the US this summer.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/07/playstation-now-streaming-game-service-coming-this-summer/

Mondy

Banned
It would be good if there was some sort of PSN verification process where games that you've bought from the PSN are free.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
what happened in the last hour which made everyone excited about cloud streaming games? it's a pretty miserable experience all round.

it's the ultimate sacrifice of quality for convenience. magnitudes more so than all the minor nit-picky stuff that we fondly blow threads up to 40 pages over.

Oriel

So wait, a Netflix service where I can stream PS3, PS2 (and presumably PSX games) to tablets, smartphones, Sony tellys and PS4?

just-hook-it-to-my-veins-o.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So.... this is all awesome and shit, but I want to know how this is linked to PS+. Will I be getting free PS3 games on PS4 through this?

I've been waiting for Sony to reach this stage with the brand, but I have a lot of questions about price and how it links with PS+.

It's speculative, but I think there'll be some cross over promotion with PS+. Like a discount for PS+ users.

But if you want a Now sub it'll be a separate thing, for sure.

Ilúvatar

How... how... how is he permitted to work in this industry.

I'm excited to see the implementation details on this. In a perfect world, I would be able to access games that I've already paid for without any additional charge but that seems unlikely. I wonder if there will be some sort of save transfer utility though...

What about latency and resolution?
Last time I tried Gaikai it was horrible, looked like watching YouTube in 240P.

Well we should know pretty soon. Closed Beta at the end of the month. Data streaming has come along way since then. Netflix will be streaming show(s) in 4K this year, so I think it has the potential to look good. It will probably vary a lot based on user speeds.

sajj316

Go buy a Vita now GAF! One platform that plays them all!

- PS One via software emulation and PlayStation Now
- PSP via software emulation
- Obviously Vita physical and digital games
- PS2/PS3 games via PlayStation Now
- PS4 games via Remote Play
- PS Mini and PS Mobile

Mihos

Gold Member
I want to be the first to try and get a Playstation Now app approved on the XBone Marketplace.

Coolwhip

Banned
Go buy a Vita now GAF! One platform that plays them all!

- PS One via software emulation and PlayStation Now
- PSP via software emulation
- Obviously Vita physical and digital games
- PS2/PS3 games via PlayStation Now
- PS4 games via Remote Play
- PS Mini and PS Mobile

Could you sum up the total amount of money needed to be able to do all the things you listed? ;)

monlo

Ilúvatar;96231700 said:
How... how... how is he permitted to work in this industry.

I'm excited to see the implementation details on this. In a perfect world, I would be able to access games that I've already paid for without any additional charge but that seems unlikely. I wonder if there will be some sort of save transfer utility though...

he gets clicks. That's all they care about.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

What's neat is that multiplayer works between proper console games and cloud games. I learned that Sony was testing Journey with console players with them having no idea they were paired with cloud players.

Ha.

The impressions sound good, but Destructoid notes that the servers involved are running 'down the hall'. So I'm not sure that's really a 'real world' environment...

I would be curious about what those servers are. Retail PS3s or something modified?

BearPawB

Banned
"The Last of Us was just as impressive. In terms of graphics, the experience isn't perfectly on par with what you'd get from a PS3, but Sony emphasized that everything will depend on your bandwidth. When you start PlayStation Now, it will perform a connection check and warn you if your session will be hampered by slow data speeds. We noticed some visual artifacts on screen, but the opportunity to play full-fledged PS3 game on a TV screen sans any console should make up for that in the minds of many."

Top Bottom