• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

UF_C

Banned
How will I be able to sync my PS4 controller to other devises that aren't my PS4? I imagine the new Bravia TVs will have that ability, but that is my only big question so far. Otherwise, this shit gonna be awesome!

jayu26

O97vSgi.png

LOL Gies is amazing as usual!
What the fuck'en fuck Gies? First of all yes they do, secondly first party games are not the only thing they are going to push...

BadHand

From PS Blog EU:
As you can see in the details below, it will launch in North America later this year.

So is it coming to US or NA?

This is the million dollar questions Canadians ask when anything is announced for this region. These terms both seem to be used interchangeably.

smoothj

I bought a Vita 2 weeks ago... fuck yessssss

Also I have a smart tv 60" Bravia, how will that work? Do I not need anything but a Bravia to play games?

Go, Kaz, go. Sounds good so far. Cautiously optimistic. Now give us info and how to get in that beta.

O97vSgi.png

Good fucking grief. Sony has nearly 20 YEARS worth of software to pull from. They have the goods. And do we know this is only first party games?

Damaniel

Banned
O97vSgi.png

I guess Sony had better pack up and go home - if they haven't heard the news already, apparently they don't have any good first party games. Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet - big steaming piles of dog doodoo. Wii Music is where it's at!

(At least Sony's console has something besides a first-party catalog...)

Gies says a lot of stupid stuff, but I think this must be a new low, even for him.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
From PS Blog EU:

This is the million dollar questions Canadians ask when anything is announced for this region. These terms both seem to be used interchangeably.

At least you are not Mexico...

Frolow

Banned
How is this related in any way? Last time I checked I can still buy disc copies of ps3 and ps4 games.

This will be the PS4's only form of backwards compatibility, unless they manage to get PS1/PS2 emulators working. Having the entirety of a system's BC be locked behind a online-only subscription service is disappointing to say the least.

Somnid

O97vSgi.png

Actually he's right but the result is wrong. Sony doesn't have the catalog to push something exclusive which is why this makes sense for them to monetize these much more aggressively on even non-Playstation devices. The sub is worth more than the catalog pieces.

B.O.O.M

woah what 0_0 god damn it I knew I forgot to check out the kaz key note. This sounds amazing

only worry is lag...make it tiny or not that noticeable and you have yourself a winner sony

I like the idea, but I'm not sure how much I'll use it in practice. I can't think of a ton of PS1/2/3 games I really want to go back to. Still, tech is cool and maybe they'll be able to leverage the infrastructure in another way somewhere down the line.

jet1911

From PS Blog EU:

I hope it come to Canada sooner rather than later but I won't get my hopes up.

coopolon

Its rent per title people

RENT PER TITLE....this sucks I dont want to rent games I want to own them.

In bigger news THATS a megaton wow ps1 2 3 on my vita and ps4 YES please I will be streaming for sure : )

Pretty much any digital video game purchase is a rental. You don't own anything you buy from a digital platform.

Just bought a vita and this is announced. Well now I'm even happier I got one!

Hopefully the subscription pricing won't be insane.

Jomjom

Banned
This will be the PS4's only form of backwards compatibility, unless they manage to get PS1/PS2 emulators working. Having the entirety of a system's BC be locked behind a online-only subscription service is disappointing to say the least.

That's fine but it still had nothing to do with what ms was proposing for the xbone.

Etzer

This sounds amazing, but:

With PlayStation Now, you will be able to stream popular hits and classic games from the PS3 library, first on PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by PS Vita.
I assume this means the service won't be available on Vita on that "summer" release date.

maxcriden

This is probably a dumb question, but does this mean you would be able to play PS1-3 games without a PS1-3 system (on your TV, though, not on a tablet)?

kuroshiki

I like the idea, but I'm not sure how much I'll use it in practice. I can't think of a ton of PS1/2/3 games I really want to go back to. Still, tech is cool and maybe they'll be able to leverage the infrastructure in another way somewhere down the line.

I will pay high price for Shadow Hearts 2 definitive edition.... and playing that game on vita is probably the closest experience I can get.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the sub will be like Amazon Prime.

It'll give you 'free' access to a portion of the catalog on the service, but some titles will be rental only.

It'll be curious to see what third parties get on board also. Getting titles onto this will undoubtedly require new license arrangements.

Oemenia

Banned
This is awesome news, one thing the videogame industry lacks is making money off of older stuff, this will be the equivalent of TV reruns but for games.

I still hope they develop a PSone and PS2 emulator, it's still cheaper than video streaming.

Euryd1ce

Neo Member
What about latency and resolution?
Last time I tried Gaikai it was horrible, looked like watching YouTube in 240P.

Top Bottom