• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

Amused

Sony not answering if this will be part of PS+ is pretty much confirming the obvious, there will be a separate subscription for PS Now. PS+ discount? PS+ gets access to certain titles for free? No PS+ advantages?

NeonDelta

Sounds awesome, I like the name change too.

However, if this is a separate subscription from PS+, I probably won't bite unless the price is very reasonable.

Also, would it not be possible to allow people to download some of these rather than stream them? I'm wondering how it even works software-wise, I mean the PS4 can't even play PS1 games right now, so how exactly am I able to play them via this service?
Because it's all streamed, you are playing them off of sonys servers, you won't download the game

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well I honestly didn't think they could get this to work. I'm glad I've got a Vita.

A true game changer.

So an online rental system? Interesting. Wonder how long the rental period is? Will they ever " run out " of allocation for a specific title and will you ever have to wait to be able to download a certain title?

Many questions. I would pay up to 20$ a month I think. 2 rental titles at a time allowed. Something like that.

Nymphae

Banned
Because it's all streamed, you are playing them off of sonys servers, you won't download the game

Right, but what is the game being played on? A PS1 that is being controlled by my PS4? A PS3 running PS1 emulation, controlled by my PS4? Because right now the PS4 actually can't play PS1 titles right?

Nice to see there's a consensus.

To be fair, there's a good reason they're demoing it with third person games like The Last of Us and God of War that don't require that low of a latency in order to be fully playable. I guess we'll see how it develops, and see the feedback from the US beta.

The press is full of clueless people who can't even tell the difference between Call of Duty running at 720p on the XB1 Vs 1080p on the PS4. I would consider the vast majority worthless when trying to suss out the playability of a steaming service like this.

With that said, I would take any positive impressions of this stuff as suspect, because I know better. You're going to have noticeable lag when playing any game remotely.

iammeiam

Thinking about the PS3 era, I wonder how this would all work with DLC. Will it all be supported? Do you get it was part of the sub? Have to buy it seperately? Will it vary from title to title?

Given the amount if LBP DLC out there, they have to have a plan.

Good that there is subscription and regular rentals too.

I do hope that there is an option to buy a digital version of the game to always stream. I don't care if the Buy option is PS+ only either if that is to help with the server costs.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

i'm willing to bet 10 euros on that.

Hopefully this year in the UK.

They should sell them VitaTV's as well. It would be a super cheap way to play PS3/2/1 games at home for a minimum initial outlay. Amazing.

Tabris

So you rent them or have a subscription service to access all of them?

You can't buy and own the content?

EDIT - No Canada? God damn it. WTF

Psykoboy2

Yeah who wants to play Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragoon, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Killzone, The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Journey, Flower, Gran Turismo, Jak and Daxter, Legend of Dragoon, and Infamous?

Ico & Shadow Of The Colossus also come to mind.

Dali

Sooooo this will be the Netflix of video games right?
If it works. I can watch Avengers on an HDtv at native resolution. Yeah sometimes the quality dips to muddy resolutions momentarily and sometimes it'll even have to load mid movie (rare but it happens). Will this be "good enough" like Netflix to stand out as a functional alternate way of gaming?

cyberheater

I don't think so. It's a streaming service for games like Netflix is for movies. Think of it that way.

BadHand

That makes me sad. There must be some kind of licensing issue since most of our population lives close to the US border and could potentially use those data centers.

I'm not sure, I think licensing is handled the same way as the US because there are never issues with physical release titles.

I think this is more to do with limiting the closed PS Now Beta to the US, I have a good feeling the official North American PS Now release will include Canada.

Septimius

EU broadband speeds are a bit flakey, with some parts, mostly the urban centres, having good quality broadband. However for those of us who's only access to the internet is shitty mobile "broadband" then the likes of PS Now, Netflix and other streaming services are out of reach for many Europeans.

I expect PSNow will require a minimum of fibre to the home for it to work effectively.

"Fiber to the home" is an extremely ambiguous way of putting it. Copper can carry 10Gbps, or more economically 1 Gbps. Fiber is required in densely populated areas, where you and all the people around you share a good uplink.

Anyway, isn't "fiber" in a consumer setting related to speeds closer to 100mbps? If they can't make this service work on 10mbps, they'll alienate more than half their costumers. You seem to forget that this is essentially nothing more than Netflix. It's just a stream of video of your game happening at a remote location. So, interactive Netflix, I guess. The only data upload that happens is your button presses. Also, I know the entire bandwidth capacity of Netflix in my country - there is no way you can easily distribute content to a lot of players at even at 20 mpbs. Netflix' HD streaming is ~6mbps. I think it'll be around there.

iammeiam

EDIT - No Canada? God damn it. WTF

So far no buy, and the sub offers a 'range' of titles, wording heavily suggests it won't be all PSNow titles.

cyberheater

That's some pretty good new :)
Hope it really works with good quality and minimal to no lag just like remote play works or even better!

It will have lag relative to a local console experience. It's impossible not to.

curb

Banned
Honestly, what is holding them back from streaming PS4 games to TV ' s and computers? I'm wondering why I bought the console.

They won't stream PS4 games until the console is nearing end of life. Sony isn't going to shoot there flagship console business in the foot.

spikex

Banned
O97vSgi.png

LOL Gies is amazing as usual!

I dont know why but im actually kinda getting angry reading this. Is he serious? I mean did he never play Playstation 1 or 2? Is he still angry because he never got a free PS4?

Honestly, what is holding them back from streaming PS4 games to TV ' s and computers? I'm wondering why I bought the console.

Shitty input lag and compressed image quality. You made the right choice buying a console. This will be no replacement for the true experience, regardless if how excited some people might be.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My dream scenario was for them to match what PS3/PS2 titles you already own to play anywhere. I guess this is more Netflix style, pretty disappointing in my specific case.

I'm skeptical, but hopeful. It would really be nice not to have to buy a PS3 after skipping it last gen. I'd rather just move on to the PS4.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm guessing Canada will be early 2015, after US has been tested and run successfully. Or could it be more of a rights issue? Usually we're counted as NA rather than a difference between Can. and U.S. for distribution.

Edit: Plus Netflix didn't come to Canada for a few years.

cyberheater

My dream scenario was for them to match what PS3/PS2 titles you already own to play anywhere. I guess this is more Netflix style, pretty disappointing in my specific case.

You're local game saves might be compatible though. That would be something.

GenericUser

That is actually kinda cool. Now they just need to release an app, that makes your DS3/DS4 Controller Android compatible- Boom!

To really make this work, Sony needs to release a grip and OS support for the Vita that adds real buttons for R2, L2, R3, L3. This is the single biggest hurdle. Some games play well (AC4, Knack), but others are really hurt by the lack of buttons (KZ:SF).

Top Bottom