• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

That makes me sad. There must be some kind of licensing issue since most of our population lives close to the US border and could potentially use those data centers.

So you rent them or have a subscription service to access all of them?

You can't buy and own the content?

EDIT - No Canada? God damn it. WTF

Lets be honest guys, Rogers, Bell, Telus and Shaw have such shit internet, we can't expect to have this service unless we pay outrageous monthly internet bills.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, reading the impressions about lag is concerning.

This seems like something that could be cool, but like in three+ years cool.

My concerns:

1) Price. Price of the subscription model and price of rentals. If too much, people will just continue to use Gamefly or Red Box.

2) Selection. For this to be the "netflix of gaming" it has to have a ton of content available all the time. Not a "selection of titles per month" type of thing. That's what PS+ is already.

3) Diversity in games. I don't want to agree with Gies, but if this is a Sony 1st party only service, he is right. This wouldn't compel me to use the service at all. Why would I stream TLoU when I can Red Box it and play in much higher quality? Can Sony afford to get 3rd parties involved? They couldn't when it came to PS1/PS2 selection on PSN, so this concerns me.

4) No mention of PC. Are you serious Sony? This tells me that you are not serious.

curb

Banned
I'm guessing Canada will be early 2015, after US has been tested and run successfully. Or could it be more of a rights issue? Usually we're counted as NA rather than a difference between Can. and U.S. for distribution.

Edit: Plus Netflix didn't come to Canada for a few years.

Hopefully this will be a different situation than Netflix. Didn't Netflix have issues in Canada because of all the legal licensing hoops you have to jump through? As I recall, there's a bunch of legacy deals in place that keep movie and TV licensing rights tied up in Canada. I would hope that gaming content should be different since Bell and Rogers aren't involved.

Lets be honest guys, Rogers, Bell, Telus and Shaw have such shit internet, we can't expect to have this service unless we pay outrageous monthly internet bills.

The Gaikai trial I checked out a few years ago worked well on my Teksavvy connection and I have a pretty big bandwidth cap.

kasane

I pay ok money for 20mb dl. Its MTS btw

Hopefully this will be a different situation than Netflix. Didn't Netflix have issues in Canada because of all the legal licensing hoops you have to jump through? As I recall, there's a bunch of legacy deals in place that keep movie and TV licensing rights tied up in Canada. I would hope that gaming content should be different since Bell and Rogers aren't involved.

The Gaikai trial I checked out a few years ago worked well on my Teksavvy connection and I have a pretty big bandwidth cap.

Hulu isnt even on canada yet

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This actually sounds pretty awesome. I told the folks in the office about it, and they were like, "Holy shit!"

kevin1025

Banned

That's true. Though I wouldn't put it past Bell and Rogers to try something due to bandwidth issues or the like.

Man... there are a ton of games I wouldn't mind playing on Vita over PSNow, but using the back touch as R2/L2 on dark souls is not one of them.

Sony should release an official Vita grip that adds L2/R2. Sell it for $24.99 and advertise it as the perfect accessory for PS Now. Easy money.

I am concerned about bandwidth caps TBH, too many people in my house using the internet.

Hmmm, reading the impressions about lag is concerning.

This seems like something that could be cool, but like in three+ years cool.

My concerns:

1) Price. Price of the subscription model and price of rentals. If too much, people will just continue to use Gamefly or Red Box.

2) Selection. For this to be the "netflix of gaming" it has to have a ton of content available all the time. Not a "selection of titles per month" type of thing. That's what PS+ is already.

3) Diversity in games. I don't want to agree with Gies, but if this is a Sony 1st party only service, he is right. This wouldn't compel me to use the service at all. Why would I stream TLoU when I can Red Box it and play in much higher quality? Can Sony afford to get 3rd parties involved? They couldn't when it came to PS1/PS2 selection on PSN, so this concerns me.

4) No mention of PC. Are you serious Sony? This tells me that you are not serious.

A subscription price close to the monthly price of Netflix would make this explode. But I think something closer to 39.99 a month is more realistic. No way this buffet is coming cheap otherwise they would be mentioning the price day one.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is awesome if it works, is pretty cheap and includes more than firstparty games I sincerly doubt all three of those though, but hopeful untill proven wrong. Will definitely get an xperia for this if it works fine.

TheMan

streaming to phones is all well and good, but this is seriously making me consider buying a vita for the first time.

A subscription price close to the monthly price of Netflix would make this explode. But I think something closer to 39.99 a month is more realistic. No way this buffet is coming cheap otherwise they would be mentioning the price day one.

$40 a month? lol

It will be far less.

I see you are very down on this. Why?

Nothing is more important in a videogame than the connection of the player to the game. Adding latency to that connection is always shitty.

Some people accept lots of shitty things every day, so some people will be ok with this, but anyone who cares about gameplay will find the input lag unacceptable.

Then you've got the compressed image, which adds more shitty to the experience.

As exciting as the prospect is of playing (streaming) FF12 on Vita is, if I can't play it on my morning commute on the subway, then it voids the whole concept of a " portable". Doesn't it?

muteant

if this really works, why even bother with the PS4 hardware? why not just use these various platforms to stream games with ever-improving visuals? this is an experiment that could very well fail, that's why. i am not a believer in this tech for any video game that requires reflexes.

EU broadband speeds are a bit flakey, with some parts, mostly the urban centres, having good quality broadband. However for those of us who's only access to the internet is shitty mobile "broadband" then the likes of PS Now, Netflix and other streaming services are out of reach for many Europeans.

I expect PSNow will require a minimum of fibre to the home for it to work effectively.

Bandwidth won't really matter so much after a certain point. Your ping time to the nearest Gaikai server is going to be the much more relevant factor in terms of performance. That, in general, will be better in population centers than in remote areas, for sure.

Dragon

Banned
If you look at the json on Sony's site for something like Mass Effect 3:

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-07%20at%202.41.59%20PM.png

This stuff is already in their API, I've been through a bunch of games and haven't seen any with an "is_streamable" equal to 1 though yet.

Yeah, just like the PS4 was supposed to be expensive because they didn't announce price day one. Oh wait...

QaaQer

Shitty input lag and compressed image quality. You made the right choice buying a console. This will be no replacement for the true experience, regardless if how excited some people might be.

It will be for games that you cannot play on a ps4/ps3/psvita. That is the beauty of it. For example, I'd like to play one of the earlier Drakenguard games but I'm not buying an overpriced ps2 disc and a ps2 to do it.

Ludist210

Sounds cool, but...will every title be in there? Could I stream, say, Final Fantasy XIII (not in the PS Store) to my tablet?

Bulzeeb

well i am sure this was answered already but going trough 18 pages isn't an easy task, so do I need to have a ps3 and said game to play a game on a different service, right? or will this games be available to purchase from other devices?

Septimius

This stuff is already in their API, I've been through a bunch of games and haven't seen any with an "is_streamable" equal to 1 though yet.

Is this some sort of online catalog for Sony's games?

Nice find. I'm guessing they are all just set to the default value right now?

Septimius

well i am sure this was answered already but going trough 18 pages isn't an easy task, so do I need to have a ps3 and said game to play a game on a different service, right? or will this games be available to purchase from other devices?

Think Netflix for PS games.

jamsy

Looking forward to seeing this tested out in a real world scenario (ie where the servers aren't 50 yards away from the Vita/tablet/whatever).

This is very exciting stuff on one hand. But on the other, I'm afraid that we won't have many titles that we'd actually want to play. Same thing happened for PS1 games on the Vita - different regions got access to different games, which were rolled out in different increments and we still are missing many, many titles. In addition, there are a whole bunch of games not even on PSN (ie Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD) in the first place, so yeah...

Top Bottom