• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

Timesplitters 2 on my everything. Oh my god oh my god.

Some questions;

Is it only 1st party games?
What's the pricing system? Seen some subscription stuff thrown about.
EU in 2014 at any point?

Thanks for clearing this up, bit light on details right now and a tad confused.

1) No
2) No mention.
3) They are looking into EU. Who knows when it will launch.

Timesplitters 2 on my everything. Oh my god oh my god.

Some questions;

Is it only 1st party games?
What's the pricing system? Seen some subscription stuff thrown about.
EU in 2014 at any point?

Thanks for clearing this up, bit light on details right now and a tad confused.

1. The beta will probably be first-party only, but third-parties will be on board by US launch in Summer.

2. No pricing info yet. What is known is that you'll have the option to subscribe and access a library, or just pay per game you stream.

3. No EU till 2015.

KOHIPEET

Tekken 3 will be my first game to try.

Also, do we know anything about how they solve the server side? Do they custom build giant ass hardware that includes PS1/2/3 or they're just running software emulation on beefy PC's?

I'm cautiously optimistic for this service. It sounds fantastic but cost, library and performance (in a real world setting) needs to be demonstrated before I'm over the moon.

Now about that Closed Beta....

AlucardGV

Banned
watching the european psn list of ps/ps2 games i'm not very confident i'll be able to play many games with this service

L1NETT

1) No
2) No mention.
3) They are looking into EU. Who knows when it will launch.

Thanks, sounds promising indeed.

Hopefully by the time it's hits EU it will be more effective with a nice large library. I would be happy to pay for this if it did.

watching the european psn list of ps/ps2 games i'm not very confident i'll be able to play many games with this service

Hmm that is a bit of a worry.

Dali

Nice to see there's a consensus.

To be fair, there's a good reason they're demoing it with third person games like The Last of Us and God of War that don't require that low of a latency in order to be fully playable. I guess we'll see how it develops, and see the feedback from the US beta.
One was using a vita and the other a TV so maybe the lag was a result of the hardware.

RaikuHebi

Banned

Also, do we know anything about how they solve the server side? Do they custom build giant ass hardware that includes PS1/2/3 or they're just running software emulation on beefy PC's?

Would be very interesting to know, but I'm sure it's a closely guarded secret.

One was using a vita and the other a TV so maybe the lag was a result of the hardware.

Link?

Gorillaz

This was the next logical step, pretty nice. Especially over time as the iron out the system and it matures into it's own.

curb

Banned
Yeah I played some of dead space and mass effect via gakai and it was great as far as responsiveness. The image quality was really really bad though at times. I was using wifi on the edge of my router's range though.

I tried Mass Effect 2 when they ran that trial a few years ago and it ran suprisingly well on my 5mb down, 512kbp up wired connection. I'm not expecting miracles from PlayStation Now but I also don't expect it to be horrible.

RaikuHebi

Banned
So basically, I'll be able to play Kingdom Hearts II with my PS3, if the game's on this service.

Hell. Freaking. Yes.

You'll be able to play KHII on your PS3 anyway since the HD remake is coming this year.

It will be a surreal experience to stream 2.5s birth by sleep on vita and play for the first time since square don't wanna let me play it on vita otherwise.

With a fast enough download speed it'll be even better than playing BBS natively via a hacked PSP emulator on the Vita.

O97vSgi.png

LOL Gies is amazing as usual!
HwEDqlr.png

He'll take any chance he gets to crap on Playstation. It's the predictability that makes him so lovable. <3

Phades

netflix moving to 4k and now this, im gonna need a bigger pipe

*Jaws theme music*

We are all going to need a bigger pipeline for this stuff to work well as intended (ignoring those fellas in S.Korea and Japan in addition to a few select other countries with really nice internet speeds/services universally).

I'm still leery about buying into this, since I can still go down to redbox and rent something for a few bucks and not have to worry about DL speeds, data caps, etc. This is in direct competition to gamefly though.

My Streaming wishlist

God of War 3
Ni No Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Dark Cloud 1/2 - PS2
Rogue Galaxy - PS2
Final Fantasy X - HD
Final Fantasy XII
Disgaea 2
Vandal Hearts - PSX
Uncharted 2
Littlebigplanet 1/2
Colony Wars series - PSX

List could go on forever but I will stop there. So The Last of Us was the first game showcased with the tech? Well done Sony

Delio

To all the cynics, internet speeds will improve over the coming years right? So even if right now many of us won't be able to enjoy this lag-free, then there will be others who can and eventually we will.

I doubt speeds will improve much if the big ISPs keep trying to hold it back.

Nymphae

Banned
Sounds awesome, I like the name change too.

However, if this is a separate subscription from PS+, I probably won't bite unless the price is very reasonable.

Also, would it not be possible to allow people to download some of these rather than stream them? I'm wondering how it even works software-wise, I mean the PS4 can't even play PS1 games right now, so how exactly am I able to play them via this service?

erawsd

Have any publications mentioned what they used to control the games? Can the DS4 connect to a bravia?

Also makes me wonder if Sony will eventually release Dualshock Smartphone/Tablet controllers.

Septimius

You need to be more efficient than emulation. They're probably interfacing their games with a slightly altered set of hardware - maybe even virtual servers. Since they have the games, they can alter some things and maybe emulate certain aspects, but still not emulate the heaviest things.

Emulation is expensive to do accurately, because you're using much more powerful hardware to pretend it is the original hardware. You have to do this because you want to use the original games and appear as the original platform. However Sony's using this, I'm figuring it's some sort of abstraction layer, combined with alterations made to their games, so they can utilize newer hardware better.

Jigorath

Banned
O97vSgi.png

LOL Gies is amazing as usual!

Yeah who wants to play Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragoon, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Killzone, The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Journey, Flower, Gran Turismo, Jak and Daxter, Legend of Dragoon, and Infamous?

Oriel

EU broadband speeds are a bit flakey, with some parts, mostly the urban centres, having good quality broadband. However for those of us who's only access to the internet is shitty mobile "broadband" then the likes of PS Now, Netflix and other streaming services are out of reach for many Europeans.

I expect PSNow will require a minimum of fibre to the home for it to work effectively.

Baleoce

Yeah, so for The Verge; PSNow latency + HDTV latency made it noticeable. And that's on a server that was located just down the hallway, on a third person action game. It will be interesting to see how the beta goes.

The impressions don't sound too good. The fact that there was artifacting and lag noticeable in an ideal environment with localized servers doesn't bode well for this in a real world application.
Pretty much,and it would get even worse for vita,since wifi is the only way to connect.

Have any publications mentioned what they used to control the games? Can the DS4 connect to a bravia?

Also makes me wonder if Sony will eventually release Dualshock Smartphone/Tablet controllers.

I'd bank on them putting a Bluetooth receiver in so it can... SmartTVs are really just TVs with a built in Raspberry PI esque PC

Eusis

To all the cynics, internet speeds will improve over the coming years right? So even if right now many of us won't be able to enjoy this lag-free, then there will be others who can and eventually we will.
Internet speeds are part of the problem, but the other parts are physical traveling distance (and all the middlemen along the way) and how much can the servers take before they're overwhelmed. It's why I have 0 confidence as a primary way to play games going forward though I definitely see value in it as a supplemental service. Also the fact that by the time we reach a point where it can safely replace hardware I kind of figure local hardware would be dirt cheap to make and so STILL it'll be more pragmatic to not waste bandwidth and servers having everyone run games over the internet rather than at home.

Omiee

woow sony take my money just take it.

did they say anything about pricing?

and end of january for the us already? damnnn

what about europe?

Top Bottom