• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

This seems like it could be the thing that eventually leads to the death of owning home consoles or something.

Or like providing BC for the last gen when a next gen starts. When PS5 comes out, PS4 games will start to be streamed on PSNow. If they let you play your old PS4 library through PSNow, that would be end of bitching about BC. I say Sony has a great vision for the future of gaming. Gaikai deal was a brilliant move by Sony.

viveks86

Surprised to see such a positive reaction after everyone on GAF shit all over OnLive.

I thought OnLive was great and I'm excited for PS Now. Get PS4 games streaming on PC, Sony!

I think the difference is in perception, not technology. Onlive portrayed themselves to be the "future of gaming" and as a replacement for traditional means of gaming in the living room. This may not have been intentional, but that's how it was perceived. Playstation now is being positioned as adding incremental value, so the expectations on it are more grounded in reality.

If I have a PS4 and I can play PS3/PS2 games with it (albeit with some expected compromises in performance), it becomes a lot more cohesive experience than having to deal with an unfamiliar piece of hardware and service.

If MS comes up with something similar, I think that would be seen as a more promising service than Onlive as well, even if the underpinning technology and shortcomings are similar.

Basch

My vita is about to get a helluva lot more play out of it. This and P4 is all I needed. Now I am satisfied with my purchase. Thanks, Sony.

Going to replay the entire Uncharted trilogy first. Then God of War III perhaps. Followed by some Heavy Rain. The golden age of gaming is here. Yay me! :D

Sandfox

Or like providing BC for the last gen when a next gen starts. When PS5 comes out, PS4 games will start to be streamed on PSNow. If they let you play your old PS4 library through PSNow, that would be end of bitching about BC. I say Sony has a great vision for the future of gaming. Gaikai deal was a brilliant move by Sony.

Yeah but eventually someone is going to come up with the idea to make gaming stream based or something which allows anyone to play new game on whatever device they own making consoles obsolete.

Blowdrum

Neo Member
If this works, it could change the face of gaming.

I'm not optimistic though. Streaming games will probably require a strong internet connection and a fair bit of bandwith; something a lot of people don't have.

AngryMoth

One thing that would be cool is if they give you free access to anything you purchased digitally on ps3 since it's trivial to verify that you own the game by looking at your purchase history. Trying to think if that could be exploited by sharing login details but I don't think it could. Maybe that's expecting a little much but it would be nice not to be paying again for stuff you already own.

Wookieomg

Is there a place to sign up for the beta? I know the beta will begin by the end of January, but will it be open-beta or closed-beta?

Skeff

How much of my data cap will I have to use to play these games?

Essentially it'll be around the same as streaming a 720p video, Bandwidth isn't that important, it's the latency that's the struggle.

So 4 hours of gaming woud use about as much of your data as watching 4 hours of 720p Video. I'm assuming It'd be streaming at 720p/30 of course.

Is there a place to sign up for the beta? I know the beta will begin by the end of January, but will it be open-beta or closed-beta?

They said Closed Beta, no idea how to get your name into the pool of potential Testers though.

asdad123

What bravias will support this? My TV is about 5 years old (46" Bravia 120hz 1080p) and it works great, but I'm tempted to upgrade.

IrishNinja

Very skeptical that it will have no noticeable latency.

this is me - i dig the concept, eager to see how it actually executes.

interesting sidenote: i recently read that Kalinske wanted to do something like this with Sega Channel for Saturn nearly 2 decades ago, how crazy is that?

PensOwl

Banned
Is it just me or does it seem like the Vita benefits the least from this?

Since PlayStation Now is coming tablets and phones, it really magnifies all the current flaws that the Vita has with Remote Play like:

Lack of R2/3 L2/3
No external video
No support for the DS3/DS4
1080 and 720 don't scale down evenly into the Vita's resolution

More than anything, it makes me want a Shield, something I never thought I'd say...

Is it just me or does it seem like the Vita benefits the least from this?

Since PlayStation Now is coming tablets and phones, it really magnifies all the current flaws that the Vita has with Remote Play like:

Lack of R2/3 L2/3
No external video
No support for the DS3/DS4
1080 and 720 don't scale down evenly into the Vita's resolution

More than anything, it makes me want a Shield, something I never thought I'd say...

The first one works reasonably well with the rear touch pad, though I'll give you points two and three. I'm not sure if I follow you with the last one, though; Vita's resolution is exactly a quarter of full HD, so I would imagine it would scale fine.

cafemomo

Registered.

This is great for me. Even though I don't plan to get rid of my PS3, this means I don't have to get a PS4 and I can get to play FFXV and MGSV on my Vita (implying SE and Konami allows their games to be part of this service)

nick380

Neo Member
YESS!!!! I've been waiting for this all my life (just kidding of course), but this is great now I can play all those PS3/2 JRPG's on my PS4 :) yay I love you sony you are so awesome this time around!

Sandfox

Registered.

This is great for me. Even though I don't plan to get rid of my PS3, this means I don't have to get a PS4 and I can get to play FFXV and MGSV on my Vita (implying SE and Konami allows their games to be part of this service)

They aren't going to let you stream PS4 games because they want that HW and SW money.

Yeah but eventually someone is going to come up with the idea to make gaming stream based or something which allows anyone to play new game on whatever device they own making consoles obsolete.

Yep and Sony will be ahead of the curve as they have already started it (also onLive). They can potentially have no new console released after PS4 and still give us "Uncharted:the next-next gen" which we can play on Bravia TVs or Vita or PS4 or any other supported device. But again this all depends when will average network speed is 10-15+ mbps for most consumers with no data limits. It will be interesting to see what happens after this gen.

Diagol

This service sounds interesting at least. I hope it works well when it launches.

I also hope that people who have PS+ will get some sort of discount for the subscription to this too.

Yep and Sony will be ahead of the curve as they have already started it (also onLive). They can potentially have no new console released after PS4 and still give us "Uncharted:the next-next gen" which we can play on Bravia TVs or Vita or PS4 or any other supported device. But again this all depends when will average network speed is 10-15+ mbps for most consumers with no data limits. It will be interesting to see what happens after this gen.

Don't expect this so soon. This would require all the new hardware to be on the Sony servers, which would mean a massive investment with no guarantees of income in return

PensOwl

Banned
The first one works reasonably well with the rear touch pad, though I'll give you points two and three. I'm not sure if I follow you with the last one, though; Vita's resolution is exactly a quarter of full HD, so I would imagine it would scale fine.

whoops, didn't realize that; I must have done my math wrong. Man, a 1080p game scaled down to the Vita's OLED would be beautiful then...

yurinka

Whats the difference between this and Microsoft's XB1 Cloud? In other words, why were people sceptical about the Cloud and has this changed that?
This is to stream full games, like Gaikai did since 2008 and PS4 HW is designed and optimized for it, unlike XB1. MS has no experience regarding game streaming.

MS promised to do things in the cloud everybody already did (like matchmaking, or to download ghosts for racing games) and a stuff that nobody did and like to use Kinect for hardcore games seems technically impossible due to HW limits: they say that would help the games to look better by computing a part of the game in the cloud and to stream it to the console, where another part is computing. This doesn't make sense because to synchronize both parts would require too much time.

But then sort of clarified that would use it for things that aren't done on the fly in real time so would be like if they read it from the disk or from a last gen server. More than a cloud seems smoke to confuse the mass with tecchy talk that sounds promising for PR bullshit, like Kinect was last gen.

So they are totally different things, and MS still have to prove somehting special not done in other places before.

I really don't like the idea of paying to play games I already own digitally and are sitting on my SEN account
Did they confirm it? I thought that they would follow their tradition of don't make you pay twice the digital games you already own in other platfroms.

I think the difference is in perception, not technology. Onlive portrayed themselves to be the "future of gaming" and as a replacement for traditional means of gaming in the living room. This may not have been intentional, but that's how it was perceived. Playstation now is being positioned as adding incremental value, so the expectations on it are more grounded in reality.

If I have a PS4 and I can play PS3/PS2 games with it (albeit with some expected compromises in performance), it becomes a lot more cohesive experience than having to deal with an unfamiliar piece of hardware and service.

If MS comes up with something similar, I think that would be seen as a more promising service than Onlive as well, even if the underpinning technology and shortcomings are similar.

Microsoft ' s problem is that their back catalog isn't as good as Sony's on the whole.

Top Bottom