• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

LuchaShaq

Banned
If this means I can play persona 5 without rebuying a ps3 I'm psyched.

Otherwise? I wouldn't bother to be honest unless its Netflix style and I can stream all sorts of random old games for dirt cheap.

Slime

Banned
Sounds intriguing, yet at the same time worrying. I'm guessing this replaces BC for PS1 and PS2 games indefinitely.

This is my main beef with it. Any hopes for actual software emulation for PS2 and PS3 on PS4 is essentially gone, they'll probably be less likely to support PS2 Classics on PS3 any further, and likely won't port them to Vita (not that they were ever going to, but I still wanted to be hopeful).

It basically wraps the problem of backward compatibility up in such a nice neat bow, that they probably won't feel the need to dedicate resources to what are actually superior solutions. But hey, you can play Uncharted on your smartphone, so why bother?

edotlee

LTTP but this sounds awesome. I'll gladly pay the subscription fee. Hopefully there will be a good selection of games when it starts.

Oriel

this is me - i dig the concept, eager to see how it actually executes.

interesting sidenote: i recently read that Kalinske wanted to do something like this with Sega Channel for Saturn nearly 2 decades ago, how crazy is that?

Sega Channel was an invention far ahead of its time. It was basically Xbox Live or PSN for the early 90's generation. In fact Sega Channel operated quite similar to PS Now in that, for a flat fee of $15 a month, users could download any one of 50 available games to their Mega Drive. As usual Sega were the innovators of much of what we take for granted today.

newjeruse

Really interesting that the backbone of this will be handled by Major League Baseball Advanced Media. They are the biggest streaming service of any of the 4 major sports leagues and they do a great job.

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently Sony announced more than one cloud service today.

LOLDSFAN

Bummed that you won't be able to own any of the games.

People with Sony devices should be able to own the games, while PC/phones/tablets only have the option for subscription or rent. That would keep the advantage on Sony so they don't loose out on hardware sales.

This is my main beef with it. Any hopes for actual software emulation for PS2 and PS3 on PS4 is essentially gone, they'll probably be less likely to support PS2 Classics on PS3 any further, and likely won't port them to Vita (not that they were ever going to, but I still wanted to be hopeful).

It basically wraps the problem of backward compatibility up in such a nice neat bow, that they probably won't feel the need to dedicate resources to what are actually superior solutions. But hey, you can play Uncharted on your smartphone, so why bother?

+ Always online. : ( I thought we cared about always online?

HardRojo

I want to try The Last of Us on the Vita screen, I was watching a playthrough on it the other day via youtube and it looked very nice.

Jigolo

+ Always online. : ( I thought we cared about always online?

I don't understand posts like this. Netflix is also always online, right?

PSNow is an optional service. You don't need to have it. If you hate always online I wouldn't suggest you sign up.

People with Sony devices should be able to own the games, while PC/phones/tablets only have the option for subscription or rent. That would keep the advantage on Sony so they don't loose out on hardware sales.

that'd be stupid. owning the games and you can stream the said game to any device right now, plus any device in the future as long as you are subscribed? lulz. maybe if you own the game, then for a much smaller fee they will allow you to stream the game to anywhere.

Eusis

PSNow is an optional service. You don't need to have it. If you hate always online I wouldn't suggest you sign up.
More importantly I think with this and games like MMOs it's intuitively obvious if you have an inkling of how they work: in this case games are run on a remote server and the video is streamed to you, meaning the offline alternative is to go to the server hub and play the game directly from it (or more practically get an older system and play on that in your home) and with games like MMOs they're built around playing in persistent worlds with other people. With Xbox One we were being told that we'd need to be online for ALL games, that the system would effectively brick itself if offline for a day, and we knew the whole library couldn't be composed purely of MMOs or online multiplayer games (though that'd kill it for me too), and streaming video wasn't even a factor though for awhile people seriously held on to an insane hope off offloading computing power to the cloud or something, not helped by MS PR bullshit (or execs who had no damn clue themselves.) People saw the online requirement for being bullshit, called MS on it, and eventually they backed down fully.

And even with PSNow being of a fundamentally different nature some of us do still want a PS1 added to the PS4 at a minimum. And honestly perhaps more for performance reasons than anti-online sentiment.

SparkTR

My major concern is services like this being the future of backwards compatibility on consoles. I don't mind it as its own thing but not at the expenses of say a working PS1 and PS2 emulator written for a PS4.

geomon

Signed up and ready baby, let's do this!

Im-sexy-and-I-know-it.gif

Gusto

I'm not bummed that I don't own any movies on Netflix or own any shows from my cable provider. Remember you can just purchase the system and each game or just pay the subscription fee.

My major concern is services like this being the future of backwards compatibility on consoles. I don't mind it as its own thing but not at the expenses of say a working PS1 and PS2 emulator written for a PS4.

what? this is the ideal form of bc. sony can pretty much design any succeeding playstation however the hell they want, whichever component is the best at that exact moment in time. look at ps4. x86 cpu instead of powerpc (cell), unified mem instead of split, gddr5 instead of ddr3.

software emulation will always run into problems, and seriously it'd be stupid for sony to write a working emulator and not take advantage of gaikai. people are seriously feeling entitled over bc. people wanted a cheap console that can play games from previous-gen? ps1 is from 1995. you can't even use your 1995 diskette to play your dos game right now without having older hardware and going through hoops to get emulation working.

what irks me the most are people thinking they have the game therefore they should be able to use it on future devices. seriously? they didn't make that game during that time so you can play it 20 years ahead on a newer device. they made the game so you can play it on that device. the reasoning of "oh but it's more powerful" is just plain ridiculous. even today you need a powerful pc to emulate saturn, let alone a freaking ps3.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I really hope there will be some way to play games you already own though

Me too - specifically for PS4. That would be a great way to fix the backwards compatibility issue by somehow letting players play games on the service that they already own. Still, I really don't think this will happen, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it does.

With that said, PlayStation Now is still a great concept and I'm glad Sony is doing this for other devices as well. It's going to be great marketing for the PlayStation brand too.

Top Bottom