• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

LOLDSFAN

owning the games and you can stream the said game to any device right now, plus any device in the future as long as you are subscribed? lulz

It's not that far-fetched. OnLive even has the option of buying games, or just renting them. I can play the game on my computer, and then the computer I get in the future (assuming the service still exists in the future lol).

I'm not bummed that I don't own any movies on Netflix or own any shows from my cable provider.

Eh I put games in a different category than movies or tv shows. Usually when I watch a movie I'm done with it the first time. No desire to re-watch. With games, I might want to play another route, or there may be multiplier aspects that keep me coming back.

Remember you can just purchase the system and each game.

I guess so. :/

SparkTR

what? this is the ideal form of bc. sony can pretty much design any succeeding playstation however the hell they want, whichever component is the best at that exact moment in time. look at ps4. x86 cpu instead of powerpc (cell), unified mem instead of split, gddr5 instead of ddr3.

software emulation will always run into problems, and seriously it'd be stupid for sony to write a working emulator and not take advantage of gaikai. people are seriously feeling entitled over bc. people wanted a cheap console that can play games from previous-gen? ps1 is from 1995. you can't even use your 1995 diskette to play your dos game right now without having older hardware and going through hoops to get emulation working.

what irks me the most are people thinking they have the game therefore they should be able to use it on future devices. seriously? they didn't make that game during that time so you can play it 20 years ahead on a newer device. they made the game so you can play it on that device. the reasoning of "oh but it's more powerful" is just plain ridiculous. even today you need a powerful pc to emulate saturn, let alone a freaking ps3.

It'll never be ideal for me when it has always online. I'm not saying Sony shouldn't utilize Gaikai, in fact it's a great idea, I'm just saying I don't want this to be their sole solution to PS1/PS2 BC on the platform, especially when they have local emulators running on their previous machines. It may as well not exist in my case due to technical requirements.

REV 09

Sounds like a great service for casuals, but I don't want to pay a fee to play old content. Surprised it's coming so soon. Sony is on the ball this gen.

Whilst all this does sound cool and looks like it could be very promising, how is this much better then just massively expanding their PSN library?

Obviously thinking more about using a VITA for this then say a Bravia TV or Tablet.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It's not that far-fetched. OnLive even has the option of buying games, or just renting them. I can play the game on my computer, and then the computer I get in the future (assuming the service still exists in the future lol).

If they did it, there would have to be limitations. I would think a possible solution would be making backwards compatibility via PlayStation Now available for "free" by making that feature available only on PS+ and limited to PS4 (and maybe Vita) devices. While I would love for the streaming service to allow free play to games that I already owned on systems no longer supported, it's still a cost for Sony to host the games for those people so it's likely not going to be free or even exist unfortunately.

Norml

Looks to work pretty good.

animation2gbj8v.gif

Hmpf, I knew moving from Netherlands to Australia would come to bite me in the ass one of these days. That 5 mb/s minimum would have been no problem back home.

viveks86

Holy crap! You weren't kidding. It loaded in what seemed like less than a second.

They seem to be taking "Now" quite seriously. Although, GOW:A did seem to take a while to load, apparently. In any case, for work in progress, this is really impressive!

foxtrot3d

Banned
Whilst all this does sound cool and looks like it could be very promising, how is this much better then just massively expanding their PSN library?

Obviously thinking more about using a VITA for this then say a Bravia TV or Tablet.

You don't take up any hard drive space if you are streaming the game. It's like asking why subscribe to Netflix when you can buy every movie individually.

It'll never be ideal for me when it has always online. I'm not saying Sony shouldn't utilize Gaikai, in fact it's a great idea, I'm just saying I don't want this to be their sole solution to PS1/PS2 BC on the platform, especially when they have local emulators running on their previous machines. It may as well not exist in my case due to technical requirements.

Fortunately I believe Sony is done with exotics hardware architecture. So any machine they put out going forward will be 86x based so going forwards, backwards compatability shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
so let me get this straight I can stream PS games on anything including my PS4 right?? I need confirmation on PS4 streaming guys. Gonna read on this tomorrow..

Fnord

Does anyone know whether PSNow would require a new Bravia to work on a TV? I have a 55HX929. Will this just be an app that I can add to the existing apps on my TV or am I SOL on that front (assuming that this isn't coming to the PS4, of course)?

btw, do we have any idea how Sony run these games on their server? using a bunch of PS3? or do they port the PS3 games to PC and run it from there? I don't think it's rom dump ala PS1 and PS2 since looks like TLoU PSNow video have new tutorial to explain the Vita control scheme with rear pad etc. so maybe they're porting it to PC?

Dead Man

This is my main beef with it. Any hopes for actual software emulation for PS2 and PS3 on PS4 is essentially gone, they'll probably be less likely to support PS2 Classics on PS3 any further, and likely won't port them to Vita (not that they were ever going to, but I still wanted to be hopeful).

It basically wraps the problem of backward compatibility up in such a nice neat bow, that they probably won't feel the need to dedicate resources to what are actually superior solutions. But hey, you can play Uncharted on your smartphone, so why bother?

Yeah. Doesn't this mean that they have some sort of emulator running in the backend too?

Norml

so let me get this straight I can stream PS games on anything including my PS4 right?? I need confirmation on PS4 streaming guys. Gonna read on this tomorrow..

PS4 would be guaranteed. And I think so by that one tweet by Yoshida talking about Iphone and Uncharted.

btw, do we have any idea how Sony run these games on their server? using a bunch of PS3? or do they port the PS3 games to PC and run it from there? I don't think it's rom dump ala PS1 and PS2 since looks like TLoU PSNow video have new tutorial to explain the Vita control scheme with rear pad etc. so maybe they're porting it to PC?

would explain the insta-load.

but i was thinking those vita controls were overlays on the screen when using them, so you know which trigger you're pressing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Disc or digitally owned games will not be credited by the PlayStation Now service.
I think this is literally the sign that I'll never get to play the niche stuff that I've bought from PSN on this service. They'll just give you a greatest hits selection and not the entire catalog. My expectations were so high here, but I knew in the back of my mind that it wasn't feasible.

I wonder how much the rent model will cost, especially for PS1 titles where you can buy it and play locally for just $6. maybe $1 for PS1 games up to $5 for PS3 games for a week rental? do you guys think that's fair?

using their old devkits that they won't use anymore? just a guess.

If they did it, there would have to be limitations. I would think a possible solution would be making backwards compatibility via PlayStation Now available for "free" by making that feature available only on PS+ and limited to PS4 (and maybe Vita) devices. While I would love for the streaming service to allow free play to games that I already owned on systems no longer supported, it's still a cost for Sony to host the games for those people so it's likely not going to be free or even exist unfortunately.

Including Playstation Now for Playstation Plus subscriptions would be one way to justify making Plus 60 dollars without gamers complaining.

I think this is literally the sign that I'll never get to play the niche stuff that I've bought from PSN on this service. They'll just give you a greatest hits selection and not the entire catalog. My expectations were so high here, but I knew in the back of my mind that it wasn't feasible.

Sony probably have to sign up new deal with all the publisher again, especially concerning revenue for publishers, so yeah, I don't think we can expect all games from PSN store to be available for PSNow, we'll start small again, but hopefully going forward it'll get better and better.

rjinaz

Does anyone know whether PSNow would require a new Bravia to work on a TV? I have a 55HX929. Will this just be an app that I can add to the existing apps on my TV or am I SOL on that front (assuming that this isn't coming to the PS4, of course)?

It is coming to the PS4 and PS3 as well according to the slide at the presentation.

georgc

My main problem is the vita buttons, or lack of buttons. Lack of R2/L2/R3/L3 will hinder the experience for me.
I agree Sony needs to remove the 4 quadrant rear touch pad and make it so when you swipe up down left or right That counts as a button press because the current way they have it results in a lot of false button presses and the dead zone also doesn't read button press. It's quite annoying.

what are you talking about? of course it'll always be online. it's streaming games.

they have local emulators? there was never a ps2 emulator. the 80gb ps3 had a ps2 inside it, and the 60 gb only had the emotion engine (cpu) in it, so it's not fully software-emulated. even then, the 60gb ran into problems with a lot of ps2 games.

sony can not possibly qa all 2000+ ps2 games for compatibility, let alone games from ps1,2, 3, and beyond. that'd be stupid to do.

those ps2 games on the psn were qa'd and bugged to work on a ps3, you can't call those simply as emulation, even emulation alone is hard to pull off on different architecture.

this is the only viable solution for bc. period.

using their old devkits that they won't use anymore? just a guess.

is that really feasible? that mean they have to keep producing ps3 will cell etc indefinitely just to keep the service going on way past PS3 life. I mean just in case the one they use for PSNow breaks or something.

not a sustainable business model. surely, old consumers will be replaced by new ones in the long-term (and short-term as well. people die and babies become teens in the blink of an eye). still, to rely on that would be too big a risk. let's say there are at most half new gamers every 3 years, you are betting that those who have not purchased games will purchase those same games owned by the already-existing userbase. that's too much a risk, too big a bet, and that's putting all your confidence in a nonexistent up-and-coming consumer base (for the bigger profit).

I don't understand posts like this. Netflix is also always online, right?

PSNow is an optional service. You don't need to have it. If you hate always online I wouldn't suggest you sign up.

Without explaining how video games are in an entirely different scenario than an alternative to universal blurays and dvds, the reason to be concerned is that the this optional service is likely sony's solution to the question of backwards compatibility. Want to play a PS1 game on PS4, PS5, and so forth? You had better be online.

Hyunashi

Hmpf, I knew moving from Netherlands to Australia would come to bite me in the ass one of these days. That 5 mb/s minimum would have been no problem back home.

Yep it sucks here hahaha, wont be getting this for a long time.
That said, great idea by SOny and I hope it pays out well.

Without explaining how video games are in an entirely different scenario than an alternative to universal blurays and dvds, the reason to be concerned is that the this optional service is likely sony's solution to the question of backwards compatibility. Want to play a PS1 game on PS4, PS5, and so forth? You had better be online.

want to play ps1 games? play it on a ps1. want to play ps1 games on a ps4? pay up and go online.

seriously, that's not immoral or illegal or unethical or whatever's trampling whatever entitlement people feel.

rjinaz

I can see your point where it does kind of suck. I have bought PS1 games on PSN and it's unfortunate I won't be able to do the same with the PS4. Worse, the cost of renting said games will likely be expensive considering how much movie rentals go for on current digital services (usually about $4 or more for HD). Rent this PS1 game for $2.99!. I could have bought it for $5 more. Of course that is just speculation on my part.

Still, as far as I know Sony never promised BC with the PS4, so if one bought a PS4 they should not have expected it. I'm just glad we have options because something is better than nothing. And I am legitimately excited about the prospect of a gaming Netflix.

Somnid

want to play ps1 games? play it on a ps1. want to play ps1 games on a ps4? pay up and go online.

seriously, that's not immoral or illegal or unethical or whatever's trampling whatever entitlement people feel.

True, it's just really stupid and not in the interest of gamers who would probably like native latency and not have to worry about streaming issues and connectivity.

There's reasons Sony does this, some technical, some to actually broaden appeal but it's mostly business opportunity in the end.

CLEEK

Suck it, Dutchy.

Bizarrely, over the past couple of weeks, my Optus cable speeds have more then doubled. I'm now regularly getting 65-75Mbs on speedtest.net

Speeds do go to shit if I select servers outside of Australia, so I hope to fuck that Sony have a data centre presence over here. Australia is a big enough country as-is, without factoring in the additional hops to Singapore or where-ever.

True, it's just really stupid and not in the interest of gamers who would probably like native latency and not have to worry about streaming issues and connectivity.

There's reasons Sony does this, some technical, some to actually broaden appeal but it's mostly business opportunity in the end.

it you are going to buy a ps1 game digitally for the ps4, don't expect it to be on your digital library for the ps5.

might as well use playstation now
gaikai

Oh sure, just play it on a platform that can't really connect to a modern TV without finding a rare RGB cord from Japan and then run it through some converter to get it to my TV. Luckily PS2 can play PS1 games, but PS2 will not last forever. It's no longer being manufactured. The consoles that are out there in the wild will eventually die.

It's not immoral or unethical, it's just disappointing that this could signal Sony dropping the framework Sony set up to preserve the titles they put up on PSN and the ability to play physical titles with the emulator. If the service completely overrides emulation, then something will be lost.

they have local emulators? there was never a ps2 emulator. the 80gb ps3 had a ps2 inside it, and the 60 gb only had the emotion engine (cpu) in it, so it's not fully software-emulated. even then, the 60gb ran into problems with a lot of ps2 games.

Just for the sake of fact checking: PS3 launched with 60gb and 20gb, both of which had full PS2 bits in them. The 80gb was the last to have those in there before Sony cut it back. My friend got one of the gimped 80gb units.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

If any fellow Canadians (like myself) were worried about the wording Sony is using talking about a "US" launch - rest easy. IGN's Scott Lowe says to me that a VP confirmed both Canada and US for launch.

https://twitter.com/ScottLowe/status/420730493198282753

Thank God, from Toronto & would've been pissed if they left us out.

Agreed. This was one of PS4's big selling points for me when they talked about it at the reveal last February.

Top Bottom