• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

DeathPeak

Not trying to do homebrew stuff. I just have some PS1 games on my PS3 from an older PSN account that I can't use on my PSTV to redownload from the store. Didn't get to go on today, but thanks for the reply. I'll activate and try it out when I get a chance.

GazzaGSi

Disappointed that the remote play resolution from the Pro hasn't had a bump upto 1080p like the PC, tablets & phone apps.
I understand why the Vita wouldn't get an increase in resolution due to the screen restraints but PSTV could take advantage of a resolution increase with it outputting to a tele.

ascii42

Disappointed that the remote play resolution from the Pro hasn't had a bump upto 1080p like the PC, tablets & phone apps.
I understand why the Vita wouldn't get an increase in resolution due to the screen restraints but PSTV could take advantage of a resolution increase with it outputting to a tele.

The PSTV outputs 720p or 1080i. It can't even output 1080p.

Planet

That "spreading out" of pixels is actually called upscaling. So yes, it is happening.

The decoding engine of the SoC very probably can't handle 1080p, it was a nice improvement to have it run at 720p60, but that's it for the device.

Cqef

That "spreading out" of pixels is actually called upscaling. So yes, it is happening.

No, upscaling is a more complicated process than just spreading stuff on the screen. Otherwise you wouldn't need to upgrade to a PS4 Pro to try to play on a 4K screen at 4K resolution.

Jamix012

No, upscaling is a more complicated process than just spreading stuff on the screen. Otherwise you wouldn't need to upgrade to a PS4 Pro to try to play on a 4K screen at 4K resolution.

...Um. Where are you getting this information? Upscaling, in it's most basic form is LITERALLY spreading stuff on the screen.

In the case of the PSTV, it first scales the Vita res to 720p or 1080i and then that is scaled by your screen to it's native resolution. The input resolution from the PSTV to the screen is either 720p or 1080i

DeathPeak

Probably it is that it isn't activated.

If you are trying to use it for Homebrew, that is a different story.

Activating didn't help. Ended up being that they were too far apart. I moved the pstv next to the ps3 and it worked. Registered the PS3 and moved the PSTV back to where I had it.

Planet

a PS4 Pro to try to play on a 4K screen at 4K resolution.
That's because the PS4 Pro does way less upscaling, at least with Pro optimized titles. You seem to be mixing up some stuff, upscaling is just "making an existing smaller image fit a larger canvas", which is not at all what the Pro does to e.g. get Rise of the Tomb Raider to 4K. And even a simple process like upscaling can be done in many different ways, from relatively basic algorithms to complex ones, with varying results.

Upscaling is any process that takes image/video and gives you image/video approximating it at higher resolution, no matter how simple or complex it is. PS4P has some extra hardware that allows better upscaling under certain conditions, and TVs are known for being bad at fast upscaling, but even if you literally extend every pixel to 2x2 square it is technically a type of upscaling.

eastx

Today WayForward announced that Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will receive PlayStation TV support in the v1.01 update.

As you may already know, support for the Playstation TV did not make it into the final product. If you’ve dreamed of playing PS Vita on the big screen, fret no longer! Today we’re happy to announce that PSTV support is back, and will be included in Update 1.01! Huge thanks to our friends at Xseed and Sony for helping us add this feature!

linko9

On the off chance anyone remembers this exists:

I'm having a weird problem with my PSTV. It won't stay in standby mode. When I put it in standby mode, it automatically wakes back up after 10 seconds without me doing anything. Tested it a full 5 times in a row and it did the exact same thing. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

I must admit, when I saw ilast may in the US for $20 was so excited and bought it on the spot, as were very expensive in UK at the time as basically had stopped supplying them. However it has sat unopened since i got it back, and this comes for a huge Vita lover who plays it every day. Suppose it is a good backup for the day my vita dies as they are now difficult to get in the UK. Sad cause was excited but to be honest with exception of Foul Play and last few trophies in CO-OP is little reason too use it.

On the off chance anyone remembers this exists:

I'm having a weird problem with my PSTV. It won't stay in standby mode. When I put it in standby mode, it automatically wakes back up after 10 seconds without me doing anything. Tested it a full 5 times in a row and it did the exact same thing. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?
Do you have a USB device plugged in? I've had similar issues with one of my controller adapters.

Ooh, thread bump.

Does anyone know if Caligula is PSTV compatible in EU? I know it is in NA but it's not listed as being compatible in EU Store for some reason.

For anyone who is curious on upcoming North American releases:

Danganronpa V3 will be compatible (source).
Undertale will be compatible (source).

Still a bit miffed that DanganRonpa 1 is only compatible in the US copies, not EU copies -_-.

Ps1 emulation is poop on the system. Visually it's a blurry mess.

I'm guessing it's worse than PS3 emulation? Guess I'm keeping all my PS1 classics on there for now then!

I'm guessing it's worse than PS3 emulation? Guess I'm keeping all my PS1 classics on there for now then!

It's a 480p image, stretched to 720p with a bilinear filter applied that you can't disable. 2D games look absolutely awful and 3D titles don't look much better.

black070

Picked one up with an 8GB memory card for £35, pretty good deal I think - now to wait for Persona 3 Portable to go on sale !

Picked one up with an 8GB memory card for £35, pretty good deal I think - now to wait for Persona 3 Portable to go on sale !

UK Gamer? I'd be careful with that. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky was published in EU by Ghostlight (also the publishers of Persona 3 Portable) and that game got pulled from sale suddenly, presumably because Ghostlight's licence had expired. And the company seem to have no interest in console publishing anymore so it seems unlikely to come back.

Not that I'm saying to buy it for full price because it likely will go on sale at some point, but still, just giving you a heads up.

black070

UK Gamer? I'd be careful with that. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky was published in EU by Ghostlight (also the publishers of Persona 3 Portable) and that game got pulled from sale suddenly, presumably because Ghostlight's licence had expired. And the company seem to have no interest in console publishing anymore so it seems unlikely to come back.

Not that I'm saying to buy it for full price because it likely will go on sale at some point, but still, just giving you a heads up.

Ho boy, fingers crossed it goes on sale soon ! Thanks for the heads up.

There appears to be less input lag (seat of the pants here as I doubt anyone would bother to test), but that's probably the only benefit. Otherwise it's Vaseline filter in full effect and an incorrect aspect ratio. None of the display options found in the Vita's PS1 emulator are present. The PS3 PS1 emulator looks considerably better, though I would say that PS1 games play better on the PSTV.

I keep hoping that it will be addressed in a quiet FW update that closes out Sony's support of the console, but it's more likely that we'll see a CFW that addresses these issues.

Top Bottom