• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Finally I had time to setup my PSTV and...

I still have firmware 3.01, lower than my Vita-1000.... :D

The problem is I bought PSTV to play latest games and keep vita-1000 with old firmware, gotta update :)

Welcome to the club.

thank you :)

I tried Freedom Wars and it looks pretty decent, I just think I have to recalibrate the stick aim cause R-stick I feel it's a little slow compared to Vita-1000

I also tried the wired 360 controller and it's not working :(

Now let's start to become confident with the "new" system and then get ready to Darius Burst Chronicles :)

Shizuka

I tried Freedom Wars and it looks pretty decent, I just think I have to recalibrate the stick aim cause R-stick I feel it's a little slow compared to Vita-1000

Now let's start to become confident with the "new" system and then get ready to Darius Burst Chronicles :)

The USB port is for charging-only, as far as I'm aware. There are adapters that'll allow you to use other controls with the system, though.

Some third party wired controllers work, but a competitor's product is always an unlikely direct compatibility.

The USB port is for charging-only, as far as I'm aware. There are adapters that'll allow you to use other controls with the system, though.

The USB port can be used to install firmware updates from USB, charge and sync controllers, and use the wired function of controllers (including some third party wired-only ones and universal adapters).

Nothing else IIRC.

Every region. There are simply games that do not work which were put out since the PSTV dropped (and I'm not talking the day after). Pumped BMX+, Tetris Ultimate, Xeodrifter, and Organ Trail all come to mind as incompatible IIRC - and that's just off the top of my head.

Yeah I estimate it to be 50% are compatible to PSTV of recent releases. Bit Trip collection not compatible.

I have no idea what to do but my PS TV won't work on one of my TVs. It keeps going to a blank screen with my TV saying its putting out 480p. It works on my main TV and I've tried changing the resolution output in settings there and then moving it to the other TV. Have tried 4 different HDMI cables and both ports on the TV.
My steam link works fine on the same TV. Odd

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Of course not, but you can get a Titan One or similar accessory if you really want to play with Xbox controllers.

no it was just because actually I have one DS3 (which I use with PS3) and synchronizing it between the two systems is a bit annoying
and the x360 controller was the cheapest solution I had

I bought a third party DS3 but it was missing some functions so I changed to an original one (FYI I bought it to replace a broken DS3), but considering the price at this point I would buy a DS4

But I could be interested in those adapters, I will take a look on them :)

Yeah I estimate it to be 50% are compatible to PSTV of recent releases. Bit Trip collection not compatible.

It's really nowhere near 50%. I went and counted stuff based on the wikipedia list which has most games with release dates and compatibility, in 2015, 255compatible games released while 57 weren't.

Out of all of these, a lot are japanese release only and shovelware and stuff, a solid 3/4 of the incompatible games fall in that category.

It's a lot of mahjong and rythm games which I assume make extensive use of the touch screen, as well as most of 4HIT LTD games who seem to specialize in tower defenses and mahjong games.

Only a few notable titles in the incompatible list, most of which are multiplatform indie games like Nihilumbra, Organ Trail and Bit Trip.

It was more than I thought it was, but it doesn't seem to be very important stuff(assuming you have a PS4 to play the indie games on).

It's really nowhere near 50%. I went and counted stuff based on the wikipedia list which has most games with release dates and compatibility, in 2015, 255compatible games released while 57 weren't.

Out of all of these, a lot are japanese release only and shovelware and stuff, a solid 3/4 of the incompatible games fall in that category.

It's a lot of mahjong and rythm games which I assume make extensive use of the touch screen, as well as most of 4HIT LTD games who seem to specialize in tower defenses and mahjong games.

Only a few notable titles in the incompatible list, most of which are multiplatform indie games like Nihilumbra, Organ Trail and Bit Trip.

It was more than I thought it was, but it doesn't seem to be very important stuff(assuming you have a PS4 to play the indie games on).

Interesting. I just go by if it shows up on the PSTV store which is a bad metric because often the games will be compatible but it never shows up on the PSTV store.

The worst thing about "incompatibility" is that most of it is due to laziness and/or Sony's rules being kind of dumb.

A dev has to have tested the game on a PSTV (which go as low as $20), but most devs just haven't got one and refuse to make the very minimal effort to be more inclusive and get more sales.

Then, end-user compatibility is controlled by Sony - so even if the dev got a PSTV and made sure their game worked, they'd still have to go through the process of informing Sony and then waiting around until Sony whitelisted it (if they approved).

Lame.

Unknown?

The worst thing about "incompatibility" is that most of it is due to laziness and/or Sony's rules being kind of dumb.

A dev has to have tested the game on a PSTV (which go as low as $20), but most devs just haven't got one and refuse to make the very minimal effort to be more inclusive and get more sales.

Then, end-user compatibility is controlled by Sony - so even if the dev got a PSTV and made sure their game worked, they'd still have to go through the process of informing Sony and then waiting around until Sony whitelisted it (if they approved).

Lame.

Is that the reason some PSP games aren't available? I just don't get why Sony games like Twisted Metal Head On, Pursuit Force Extreme Justice(first one works), Motorstorm Arctic Edge, etc don't work. They're PSP games and Sony published as well. It's weird.

Is that the reason some PSP games aren't available? I just don't get why Sony games like Twisted Metal Head On, Pursuit Force Extreme Justice(first one works), Motorstorm Arctic Edge, etc don't work. They're PSP games and Sony published as well. It's weird.

Artic Edge has a security hole and imagine the others might be vunerable. These games don't work on a regular Vita.

There are different reasons, most of them not specified on a per-game basis.

The most common reasons for non-compatibility of a non-native (PSP/PSOne) title are licensing issues, emulator incompatibility, security reasons (ie; contains an exploit), the fact that the game isn't available digitally, and the publisher/developer/IP-holder not making the effort.

MrBenchmark

can anyone explain why the DS4 is laggy compared to the DS3 in PSTV remote play? is there a fix? it make game very hard to play. also since recent updates why is remote play so bad now? I'm all wired gigabit network nighthawk router remote play should work much better than it does.

Vashetti

Banned
Anyone seen this? There's been an official vertical stand/cable tidy released.

51geqBlrcdL._SL1024_.jpg

Pics from a user on reddit:

http://imgur.com/a/d8N3G

I'm really quite taken with it, can't wait to get one.

ymgve

I assume there's no way to use an USB drive or something to expand the memory? Ordered a PSTV some days ago but totally forgot that Sony loves their proprietary formats and I can't just smack in a SD card to get more space.

The way they describe the base as weighty sounds good to me. I've considered velcroing mine to the back of my monitor due to the way it likes to fish around. Doesn't look like Amazon has picked it up yet. Will keep an eye.

Vashetti

Banned
I assume there's no way to use an USB drive or something to expand the memory? Ordered a PSTV some days ago but totally forgot that Sony loves their proprietary formats and I can't just smack in a SD card to get more space.

There's 1GB of storage built in, but you can only add more with a Vita memory card (and adding one prevents you from using the 1GB).

Not unless someone makes custom firmware or makes an adapter that lets you use MicroSD cards.

MrGerbils

Is there any list of PSTV games that support local multiplayer?

I know Spelunky and Nidhogg support it, and I've heard that PS1 games support it. Any specific list of ones that do and don't?

Or anything else I'm missing?

Does Towerfall support it 4 players local?

NeOak

Is there any list of PSTV games that support local multiplayer?

I know Spelunky and Nidhogg support it, and I've heard that PS1 games support it. Any specific list of ones that do and don't?

Or anything else I'm missing?

Does Towerfall support it 4 players local?

Towerfall has 4 player support on the PS TV: http://thevitalounge.net/2016/01/07/towerfall-ascension/

2 player only afaik:

Metal Slug 3 PSN rerelease
Skullgirls
Badland GOTY
Desert ashes
Curses ‘N Chaos
Tetras

But TBH, the most 4 player local multi titles you'll find are on Wii U.

MrGerbils

Towerfall has 4 player support on the PS TV: http://thevitalounge.net/2016/01/07/towerfall-ascension/

2 player only afaik:

Metal Slug 3 PSN rerelease
Skullgirls
Badland GOTY
Desert ashes
Curses ‘N Chaos
Tetras

But TBH, the most 4 player local multi titles you'll find are on Wii U.

Thank you for the response.

I know there are much better options for dedicated 4 player games, but the PSTV is super portable and I already have ps4 controllers. I'm going on a trip with some buds and itd be way easier to bring along than a Wii U, power brick, game pad, and 4 controllers.

Last confirmed titles for Vita TV compatibility in Japan :

Summon Night 6 (March 10)
Digimon World Next Order (March 17)
Hatsune Miku Project Diva X (March 24)
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (March 24)
Psycho Pass (March 24)

Massa

Thank you for the response.

I know there are much better options for dedicated 4 player games, but the PSTV is super portable and I already have ps4 controllers. I'm going on a trip with some buds and itd be way easier to bring along than a Wii U, power brick, game pad, and 4 controllers.

Nidhogg also supports local 2 player multiplayer, it's a really great game.

Aalvi

I got a PSTV a bit back($40 canadian for PSTV and 8gb + controller....)

I only had Danganronpa 1 and 2 on it(I owned a vita before and played P4 and VLR, etc).

I'm going to get around to playing D2 starting today. Will be getting ZE3, Tales of Hearts, LOH TOCS, maybe steins;gate.

How could one buy a game from Hong Kong and play it on the TV?

If possible of course. I'm thinking of picking it up, cause its cheaper than a Vita.

EDIT: I guess I should say digital.

a couple of weeks ago I bought Phantasy Star Nova, it was a bargain deal on amazon.jp, so I paid less than 1,000yen for a brand new copy when even in used stores is more expensive
Remember the OT here on neogaf where it was stated that playing by dual shock was better

Didn't give it a try yet cause I'm still playing Darius

Winning Post 8 (March 31)
Bullet Girls 2 (April 21)

Not compatible :

Skullgirls 2nd Encore (March 14)
Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 4 Deluxe Package (April 20)

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Just ordered my PSTV for £40. Not the cheapest but considering they are now discontinued, I can only imagine they will start to go up in price. Bit the bullet while they were still reasonable.

Shame about the compatibility issues with games. I was thinking about doing the hack but I don't think this will be a practical solution for me. I plan on swapping out the memory card from my Vita to my PSTV so I can continue from where I left off. I think it would be easier for me to just swap to a US PSN account from time to time to access some of the games the UK is missing.

If I sign in to a US account and download a game, will I need to format my memory card with all the existing game and save data from my UK account? Or is it possible to keep data from both accounts on one memory card?

Just ordered my PSTV for £40. Not the cheapest but considering they are now discontinued, I can only imagine they will start to go up in price. Bit the bullet while they were still reasonable.

Shame about the compatibility issues with games. I was thinking about doing the hack but I don't think this will be a practical solution for me. I plan on swapping out the memory card from my Vita to my PSTV so I can continue from where I left off. I think it would be easier for me to just swap to a US PSN account from time to time to access some of the games the UK is missing.

If I sign in to a US account and download a game, will I need to format my memory card with all the existing game and save data from my UK account? Or is it possible to keep data from both accounts on one memory card?

One account per memory card, no exceptions. You also have to format the system to log into a different account, if I recall correctly. However, if you import physical games from the US, you can play them on your UK account.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
One account per memory card, no exceptions. You also have to format the system to log into a different account, if I recall correctly. However, if you import physical games from the US, you can play them on your UK account.

Thought this may be the case. Might need to get a second smaller memory card for a US account then. Thanks for the help.

One Piece Burning Blood (April 21)
Rose to Tasogare no Kojo (April 26)
Lego Marvel Avengers (April 28)
Punch Line (April 28)
Powapuro Baseball 2016 (April 28)
Eve Burst Error R (April 28)

Total : 675 titles out of 816

Lgndryhr

I'm looking at getting this or a PS Vita. Any recommendations? I enjoyed my PSP but it also was hacked. I enjoy my PS4 a lot.

kriskrosbbk

I'm looking at getting this or a PS Vita. Any recommendations? I enjoyed my PSP but it also was hacked. I enjoy my PS4 a lot.

Last week I took my PSTV to a friend where we played Fifa16 2v2 remotely.It was great.The thing is so small I felt it was my mini PS4.Have Vita also,but use them both for different things.Not sure which one to recommend.If it is for games ,the Vita,for remote play,PSTV.

Lgndryhr

Last week I took my PSTV to a friend where we played Fifa16 2v2 remotely.It was great.The thing is so small I felt it was my mini PS4.Have Vita also,but use them both for different things.Not sure which one to recommend.If it is for games ,the Vita,for remote play,PSTV.

I'm looking to play Vita titles but try out remote play too. May just pick up both. Know of any good deals on either in the US?

Top Bottom