• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakely

Thinking about Batman, is it good?
Dunno if I'm gonna get it or wait for a discount though.

It is my personal favorite VR game.

It helps if you've played the Rocksteady trilogy, the game is canon and takes place between Arkham City and Arkham Knight.

Mesharey

Do you have move controllers? Pretty much required for that one.
No, can't play using regular controller?
Edit: it's possible but it's recommended to use move controllers, gonna try yo borrow.
It is my personal favorite VR game.

It helps if you've played the Rocksteady trilogy, the game is canon and takes place between Arkham City and Arkham Knight.
Oh nice, they're one of my favorite games.

Edit: btw I'm using 2 HDMI cables, one on HDMI 1 that is free when I'm using VR, VR is always connected to HDMI 2, so if I want HDR I remove the HDMI cable from the PSVR box and plug it in HDMI 1, takes few seconds.

so sidenote. I was trying out VIRGINA after picking it up on the last flash sale. I couldn't even make it past 5 minutes because if ever a game would benefit from being in VR, it's this. Not every game would make the transition cleanly, but this game would absolutely benefit. The perspective, the pace, how you interact. Even the purported 3 hour game length.

Wonder if the devs ever considered it? I can't even bring myself to play it now, which sound ridiculous (i know) because it's probably a great game. Sad thing is that i paid 3 bucks for it on flash sale, but had this been a VR game (or even re-released as a VR game), I'd pay $15-$20 easy. I'm sure i'm not the only one. ;)

Just seems like a missed opportunity.

mckmas8808

Banned
so sidenote. I was trying out VIRGINA after picking it up on the last flash sale. I couldn't even make it past 5 minutes because if ever a game would benefit from being in VR, it's this. Not every game would make the transition cleanly, but this game would absolutely benefit. The perspective, the pace, how you interact. Even the purported 3 hour game length.

Wonder if the devs ever considered it? I can't even bring myself to play it now, which sound ridiculous (i know) because it's probably a great game. Sad thing is that i paid 3 bucks for it on flash sale, but had this been a VR game (or even re-released as a VR game), I'd pay $15-$20 easy. I'm sure i'm not the only one. ;)

Just seems like a missed opportunity.

I just bought it too and want to start playing it today. Funny because I would have paid double the price to play it in VR. Wierd.

RPS37

Just went to the store and picked up a headset and camera on a whim. I do t even know where to start now though.

Mosse

Neo Member
Bought Fruit ninja VR a few days ago. I mainly bought it because me and my brothers wanted something where you swing around a sword, but it's much more fun than I thought it would be. My brothers been playing it non-stop for about three days now.

The tracking is really good, probably the best of those games I've tried yet, and even if there's only four modes it's really addictive. It's pretty much like the mobile games in terms of what you do , except you feel like a cool ninja swinging swords around.

I would recomend it to anyone who wants a quick arcade-like game with great move tracking. The only downside is the price which is a bit step for the amount of content, so if you're not hungry for this type of game, maybe wait for a sale.

Chris_C

A few quick thoughts:

I bought a Pro over the holidays. I was unsure what to expect as a lot of outlets (outside Digital Foundry) seemed to imply early on that it wasn't really a big step up for PSVR. This didn't make much sense to me and a lot of the impressions on GAF seemed to indicate that it was in fact a much better way to play. It is. Everything's so much clearer now. It feels a bit like going from 480p to 720p in most games.

I played "I Expect You To Die" all the way through yesterday. It took about 2.5hrs, which is the longest uninterrupted stretch I've spent in VR. I felt absolutely no ill effects. It's a really neat little game that's perhaps $5 too expensive. It's got a great wrapper, a truly slick intro sequence and some great physics. I was impressed at how accurately they modeled the in-game weight of items. When you toss a heavy book, it thuds as you'd expect, and champagne bottles and windows break in a satisfying manner.

I'm tempted to get Robinson's, but I'm pretty put off by the $60 asking price, especially since it doesn't have Move support. I might pick it up next, unless I get Star Trek next.

Burglekutt

The Carry Me experience is kind of cool but your paying 2 dollars for a xhort 2-3 minute vr music video, so probably not worth it for most people. Lens VR is a rip off even as a free app. I belive there are a total of 6-7 crappy vr videos on it and thats it. not even worth the time to download.

TheBear

Rigs is kicking my ass. I played maybe three games and did ok, and returned to it like 3 weeks later and lost 4 games in a row. All offline btw. What happened? Do they turn up the difficulty or something? I tried hiring better players but I'm still getting thrashed

down 2 orth

Potentially. Some might not due to them taking the brute force approach like Project Cars and require beefy rigs to run, to get them running on the PS4 the games would have to be super optimised and have to cut a lot. There are exclusivity deals such as Chronos and The Climb, two games I'd love to play but are currently exclusives for the Rift. Others there is the problem of PSVR not supporting roomscale where it is required such as Vanishing Realms. Some have been seen running on PSVR and the devs stated awhile back that they would be supporting the hardware but the companies have gone quite on the subject.

I hope a lot do as currently the Rift and the Vive have some interesting looking games, here are a few that have me interested:

Dirt Rally
Superhot VR (hope the base game comes to PS4 as well, I'd rebuy)
Chronos
War Thunder
Obduction (this is coming to PSVR)
The Climb
Edge of Nowhere
Project Cars
Call of Starseed: The Gallery
Tilt Brush/Oculus Medium
Distance
FATED: The Silent Oath (I think this might be coming to PSVR, not sure)

That's an interesting list of games, a lot of them I had to look up just now. I hope the more graphically intensive games get ported with a gutted PS4 Vanilla version if need be, because that's a lot better than not getting ported at all.

And what's the deal with The Unspoken, is that under exclusivity as well?

Potentially. Some might not due to them taking the brute force approach like Project Cars and require beefy rigs to run, to get them running on the PS4 the games would have to be super optimised and have to cut a lot. There are exclusivity deals such as Chronos and The Climb, two games I'd love to play but are currently exclusives for the Rift. Others there is the problem of PSVR not supporting roomscale where it is required such as Vanishing Realms. Some have been seen running on PSVR and the devs stated awhile back that they would be supporting the hardware but the companies have gone quite on the subject.

I hope a lot do as currently the Rift and the Vive have some interesting looking games, here are a few that have me interested:

Dirt Rally
Superhot VR (hope the base game comes to PS4 as well, I'd rebuy)
Chronos
War Thunder
Obduction (this is coming to PSVR)
The Climb
Edge of Nowhere
Project Cars
Call of Starseed: The Gallery
Tilt Brush/Oculus Medium
Distance
FATED: The Silent Oath (I think this might be coming to PSVR, not sure)

I'd really love a port of Audio Shield if it were possible. Not sure if it would be though as I think it works by analyzing your custom soundtrack files to generate the timing.

Bebpo

Banned
Got to Area X in Rez Infinite and wow, that sure was an memorable experience. Not the best thing ever or anything, but very neat. Also the fact it feels literally like a vertical slice for Rez 2 prototype gets me hoping for a Rez 2 announcement and in VR it's gonna be fantastic like this.

My only issue with the VR in Rez Infinite, especially area X, is that when you are not moving your head the image is sharp, but whenever you move it blurs, but since in Area X you're always flying around moving around turning around it's almost always blurry which I found kinda a bummer.

Also finished Batman VR, I like the riddler stuff because puzzles in VR are great.

Played Oh My Genesis and it was kinda neat but I had some control issues rotating the planet quickly to address things that were going on. Definitely has potential.

I think I just have Rigs & Tethered left to try and then I've tried most of the VR stuff pre-December. Best experiences in VR so far are definitely Arkham VR & Rez Area X & Thumper imo.

Lethal VR

This was a lot of fun, still really basic in terms of where its at but really fun game. Can see this being a favourite when people are over (see also fruit Ninja)

Fruit Ninja VR

Haahahah. They've managed to translate that IOS tablet experience to VR and its so much much swinging the swords like a crazy person to get all the fruit. Soo fun. Fruit Frenzy mode? Waving you arms like nuts. Gets tiring but sooo good.

RPS37

Alright l! Got everything hooked up. Now what? What's the showpiece title of PSVR right now? I definitely am going to grab Rez first...

Grinchy

Banned
Alright l! Got everything hooked up. Now what? What's the showpiece title of PSVR right now? I definitely am going to grab Rez first...

IMO everyone should try the RE7 demo (Beginning Hour).

I was personally very bored by Rez just in the demo alone.

Bebpo

Banned
IMO everyone should try the RE7 demo (Beginning Hour).

I was personally very bored by Rez just in the demo alone.

After playing Rez for 10+ years on all the various platforms I honestly find the game pretty boring until stage 5 which is still awesome. Stage 5 & Area X are worth it, shame gotta go through 1-4 to get there.

ChouGoku

If you have 2 motion controllers get either Batman or Rush of Blood. Batman for the wow, Rush of Blood is a lesser wow but has more replayability. Or get both if you can. Don't play without motion controllers though its not as good. RE7 demo is a must play, especially if you are going in blind. EVE Valkyrie is a nice as well, but it does have microtransactions, but still a great dogfighting game.

Pro too?

In terms of clarity of the screen, go play PlayRoom VR Robot Rescue, also RIGS is a great game. Tethered is a nice little god sim which again benefits largely from the Pro. Oh and if you have Battlefront, go play the X Wing mission!

RPS37

Pro too?

In terms of clarity of the screen, go play PlayRoom VR Robot Rescue, also RIGS is a great game. Tethered is a nice little god sim which again benefits largely from the Pro. Oh and if you have Battlefront, go play the X Wing mission!
I got a pro but I don't have any move controllers.

I got a pro but I don't have any move controllers.

All those don't need Move controllers, main games for Move right now I guess are Batman, Rush of Blood and Holoball other than that I'd say you're pretty good to go on any game you like.

Also if you want a good party game grab Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Graphically the best game for me so far has been Robinson, BUT it's not the most exciting game and certainly not worth retail, I paid £25 and for that I'd say it's worth it.

Codiox

So,

What's the consensus about Sports Bar VR? Worth the asking price?

Absolutely. I had so much fun with this already, and they keep on updating it with new games in the bar. They even added Checkers and Chess last time!

I think its the Nr.1 social game right now on psvr. Also has a great replayability because you can always play a quick round of pool or darts.

Absolutely. I had so much fun with this already, and they keep on updating it with new games in the bar. They even added Checkers and Chess last time!

I think its the Nr.1 social game right now on psvr. Also has a great replayability because you can always play a quick round of pool or darts.

Yeah, Sports Bar so far is my go to title for when I'm not really sure what to play. I also like to play a round of pool against a friend here and then.

Just went to the store and picked up a headset and camera on a whim. I do t even know where to start now though.

Congrats!

First of all, go to Settings -> Devices (?) -> PlayStation VR and go through all calibration steps (especially eye distance) to make sure you get the best image quality.

Then take a look at the demo disc (if you purchased it outside of the US then make sure to create a US PSN account to download their demo disc as it has much more content on it) and see how you can handle all the different titles. For example, Driveclub was infamous for making people sick, while horror games like Kitchen/Rush of Blood are my personal nightmare and I am going to ignore this genre as a whole.

There are also other demos like Tethered which aren't included on the disc, so make sure to check them out as well.

Well I've now been hit with the white light bug. Previously when people reported this I used to think that it was just because something was downloading in the background in rest mode but now it's happening to me.

I've had PS VR for about 6 weeks. I always use rest mode. The PS VR PU always powered off and went red when the PS4 was in rest mode - until now. I was near the PS VR PU and could hear the fan so I investigated and found it showed a white light like it was still on and the PS4 showed the yellow rest light. So I figured there was a patch or something downloading but when I checked there was nothing downloading or uploading and I now when I put it back into Rest mode the PSVR PU stays on with a white light - it won't turn off like it used to.

The only thing that I did differently prior to the white light is put the PS4 into rest mode WITHOUT closing the game (Bound) - normally I always close the game first. That may have triggered it but could be a coincidence.

After some investigation here's what is happening to me:
  • Fully turn off PS4 from menu (not rest): PU turns off with red light
  • Power on again and put into rest mode: PU stays on with white light
  • Nothing is downloading or uploading. I have fast cable Internet so it can't be some trophy sync or other access - the problem has been there at least all day.
  • PU stays on/white permanently (left for hours)
  • If I disable USB power in rest mode it makes no difference
  • If I disable suspending apps in rest mode it makes no difference
  • If I disable NETWORK in rest mode it FIXES the problem, as some other people have reported. Enable network again and problem returns
  • I have repeated the above and the problem is consistent
  • I'm on the latest PS4 update and have been using it for at least a week

Here's the strange part: the PS4 ITSELF is behaving differently when network in rest mode is enabled/disabled, like it's still doing something.
  • With network enabled the PS4 WHITE light flashes during shutdown and then goes yellow, HDMI signal to TV is lost. When I press the PS button on the controller the PS4 starts IMMEDIATELY. Like 1 second. It's like it was never off/instant resume. I have never noticed this before.
  • With network disabled the PS4 YELLOW light flashes during shutdown and then goes permanent yellow, HDMI signal to TV is lost. When I press the PS button on the controller the PS4 takes about 10 seconds to start. This is normal for me.

So it appears as though the PS4 itself is in some light rest mode that causes the problem as it is probably sending some "on" power state signal to the PS VR PU like when it is downloading. I just can't figure out what the PS4 is stuck trying to do with the network.

Nice report!
is there still no normal solution for this? If we turn it off the network activity, there is no point in left in stand by (unless you couldn't save for whatever reason)

Joystick

Cycling accessory for $400 bucks. Looks great though. I've never heard of it. Friend just told me after I mentioned the workout I got outta fruit NInja.

There's a free demo on the US store. It includes a very brief automatic swap between 4 or 5 of the mini-games but you actually get to play for that brief period using the DS4 (hold the X button to simulate pedalling continuously). Graphics are pretty horrible but it has potential. The tank game was probably the best.

Joystick

Nice report!
is there still no normal solution for this? If we turn it off the network activity, there is no point in left in stand by (unless you couldn't save for whatever reason)

The other benefits are fast start-up and resume a running game.

The issue still persists for me. I also tried disabling network altogether in the system settings but that doesn't fix it. The only fix is disabling network in the rest mode features.

bumpkin

Bound, I Expect You to Die, Tethered, Wayward Sky (all download-only) are decent games that you can play just fine with a DS4. Most of PSVR Worlds is playable with one too, though The London Heist is best played with PS Move controllers. I also highly recommend the Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour teaser/demo.

EDIT: Playroom VR... It's a free download and it's awesome! Can't believe I almost forgot that one.

Glix

Okay everyone. I moved my PS4 to my girlfriends apartment.

I am getting some wobble. I NEVER got wobble at my place. It is driving me out of my fucking mind in Pinball FX which would be so good if not for the wobble.

I am only letting everyone know because, at least in my case, it seem environmental. I have done all of the calibrations and checked light sources and mirrors, etc.

I will continue to try and rectify the situation and see if I can discover anything.

The top of my TV isn't totally flat, and the cam doesn't seem to sit totally flush on it. I used the stand thing to brace it very well but perhaps the vibrations from the sound bar that sits in front of the TV are slighting shaking the cam?

Also, there is a computer monitor in the background of how I have the cam positioned, but it is completely off so I don't think that could be the issue.

i will report back.

Edit - Incredibly, my shoulders are sore from playing Fruit Ninja VR. Specifically Survival mode. Its fucking so so so good.

bumpkin

I am getting some wobble. I NEVER got wobble at my place. It is driving me out of my fucking mind in Pinball FX which would be so good if not for the wobble.

I am only letting everyone know because, at least in my case, it seem environmental. I have done all of the calibrations and checked light sources and mirrors, etc.

I will continue to try and rectify the situation and see if I can discover anything.

The top of my TV isn't totally flat, and the cam doesn't seem to sit totally flush on it. I used the stand thing to brace it very well but perhaps the vibrations from the sound bar that sits in front of the TV are slighting shaking the cam?

Also, there is a computer monitor in the background of how I have the cam positioned, but it is completely off so I don't think that could be the issue.

i will report back.

Edit - Incredibly, my shoulders are sore from playing Fruit Ninja VR. Specifically Survival mode. Its fucking so so so good.
Obviously I have no idea if it's the cause or not, but the lights on the back of the headset could still be reflecting depending on the surface of the monitor screen (i.e. glass or some sort of glossy finish).

i will report back.

I had something similar happen this christmas when I went to visit my parents, took me an hour to figure out what it was as I'd never experienced it before in that manner. Turned out to be the way a certain light fitting refracted the light around the room, switched that specific light off and wobble disappeared immediately.

Rigs is kicking my ass. I played maybe three games and did ok, and returned to it like 3 weeks later and lost 4 games in a row. All offline btw. What happened? Do they turn up the difficulty or something? I tried hiring better players but I'm still getting thrashed

I'm right there with you. I played my first two offline games yesterday and I couldn't win at all. I'm trying to figure out how to improve my play

So, I've got most of the money set aside for a PSvr, but a few factors are holding me back from pulling the trigger:

1- Broken HDR passthrough. There's going to *have* to be a hardware revision to fix this, right? I'm not getting my wallet out until this one is solved.

2- Move controller criticisms. Every review I've seen says the Move controller is by far the biggest drawback to PSVR. It's also a reasonably fix-able one. This isn't a dealbreaker, but I feel like it would be a mistake to drop $500 now if a 2nd revision could include redesigned controllers.

3- Longevity uncertainty. Even being the cheapest VR in its category, $500 is still a chunk of change. I'd feel better about a PC-based VR option lasting for years. The whole PS4 Pro situation (I own one fwiw) raises a lot of questions about the future of Playstation. Is PS4 2-3 years away from obsolescence? Will the PSVR be obsolete at the same time as in other console peripherals? Does PS4 Pro extend the effective life of the PS4 generation, or does it die too the moment PS5 is announced (presumably around 2019). Sony has got to clarify their strategy here.

ckohler

1- Broken HDR passthrough. There's going to *have* to be a hardware revision to fix this, right? I'm not getting my wallet out until this one is solved.
I doubt this can be fixed via software because I think the box doesn't have the necessary hardware (HDMI 2.0). It's no the end of the world but it's probably the biggest oversight with the setup.

2- Move controller criticisms. Every review I've seen says the Move controller is by far the biggest drawback to PSVR. It's also a reasonably fix-able one. This isn't a dealbreaker, but I feel like it would be a mistake to drop $500 now if a 2nd revision could include redesigned controllers.
I wouldn't get too worked up over this. The Move controllers work plenty well. Sure, they're not rock-solid accurate like the competition but they're more than accurate enough. Also, if you buy them used, you can get a pair for just $50. Another thing is that PSVR is the only VR system where the controller can also be tracked.

3- Longevity uncertainty. Even being the cheapest VR in its category, $500 is still a chunk of change. I'd feel better about a PC-based VR option lasting for years. The whole PS4 Pro situation (I own one fwiw) raises a lot of questions about the future of Playstation. Is PS4 2-3 years away from obsolescence? Will the PSVR be obsolete at the same time as in other console peripherals? Does PS4 Pro extend the effective life of the PS4 generation, or does it die too the moment PS5 is announced (presumably around 2019). Sony has got to clarify their strategy here.
Hard to say. I think ANY VR system right now is for early adoptors. None of them really have any long-lasting legs. However, if you're like me and have enough spare cash and want to experiment I think PSVR is the best value.

Glix

I'm right there with you. I played my first two offline games yesterday and I couldn't win at all. I'm trying to figure out how to improve my play

Make sure you are buying partners the free ones are ass.

The only thing bad about the moves is that they cannot be tracked when you are turned around or they are being slightly obscured in some way.

EVERYTHING else seems to be a software issue. If you play Pixel Gear or Ace Banana, you will see that it is possible to track the move PERFECTLY. I think its a processing overhead issue. The more resource intensive the game is, the worse the move tracking seems to be.

*Splinter

Yeah I was able to buy one after my first game which made it a closer game. I just need to get enough fame/money for my other teammate
Check out the Trials too. They're a good way to earn fame/credits at the start and will also help you get more comfortable with the game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The move controllers do their job I would say, the tracking isn't perfect and the level of interaction isn't as good as other systems but they still feel great in most instances, once you get your into a grove in Pixel Gear you'll be shooting from the hip with no problem.

I don't know if you can still get them cheap used (i imagine the prices have gone back down again now since the launch spike). Definitely worth it if you can find them, I got 2 for $25 when I was pre-ordering the headset.

Glix

Anyone else playing Pinball FX?

THIS is the reason I bought VR. Camera/viewing angle is what has always held Video Pinball back. Even TATE isn't perfect.

Just being able to glance up at the matrix display and being able to see the whole table clearly and in 3D. I'm so excited and blown away.

Also the first time I ended a game of the underwater table and the shark swam over the table and startled me was awesome. I did not think the stuff going on outside of the tables would matter at all, but its really cool! Like in The Walking Dead, with whats her name using the soccer ball to distract the zombie. Its neat stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom