• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Anyone else playing Pinball FX?

THIS is the reason I bought VR. Camera/viewing angle is what has always held Video Pinball back. Even TATE isn't perfect.

Just being able to glance up at the matrix display and being able to see the whole table clearly and in 3D. I'm so excited and blown away.

Also the first time I ended a game of the underwater table and the shark swam over the table and startled me was awesome. I did not think the stuff going on outside of the tables would matter at all, but its really cool! Like in The Walking Dead, with whats her name using the soccer ball to distract the zombie. Its neat stuff!

I have Pinball FX 2 also. I purchased the Walking Dead table as well. I'm not even a big pinball fan but it's really great. Before this, video pinball simulators have been kinda "meh" because you never really got a good enough angle/view of the table. But in VR, it's just like real life. I also prefer the Pinball FX tables to the recreation games because these have all sorts of stuff real pinball table's couldn't do like having living figures walking around the playfield, etc. The tables are really detailed, especially when you get your head up close to them.

A fun trick I discovered is if I stand far away from my camera and recenter, I can then walk forward enough to get inside the table and look closer at the other stuff going on around it.

cakely

Just picked one of these up , i dont have the move controllers yet so what are the best games to use just with a ds4?

Playroom VR is entirely for a DS4 and it's amazing.

The Battlefront Rogue One VR mission and the COD Jackal demo are also DS4 only games.

androvsky

Just picked one of these up , i dont have the move controllers yet so what are the best games to use just with a ds4?

Try Headmaster, it doesn't use a controller at all and it's one of the better VR games. There's a demo on the US demo disc if you want to try it first.

gamerMan

I love Playroom VR because it shows that you can create a cool 3rd person experience in VR. The Playstation VR is the most exciting thing in gaming in a long time. I just hope it doesn't become the PS Vita.

bumpkin

Anyone else playing Pinball FX?

THIS is the reason I bought VR. Camera/viewing angle is what has always held Video Pinball back. Even TATE isn't perfect.

Just being able to glance up at the matrix display and being able to see the whole table clearly and in 3D. I'm so excited and blown away.

Also the first time I ended a game of the underwater table and the shark swam over the table and startled me was awesome. I did not think the stuff going on outside of the tables would matter at all, but its really cool! Like in The Walking Dead, with whats her name using the soccer ball to distract the zombie. Its neat stuff!
It's on my radar, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. TBH, I'm a little put off by what you get for the price. I had Zen Pinball on the Wii U and I didn't buy many tables; certainly not the ones they give you with the VR version. I had stuff like Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Walking Dead.

Bebpo

Banned
I have a couple of issues with Pinball FX2 VR (and this is separate from my issues with Pinball FX as a game compared to The Pinball Arcade):

-The resolution is too low. I find it really distracting. Is it even running in 1080p? Also the ball animation feels like it was made for 30fps or something. Just doesn't feel silky smooth.

-I hate the viewpoint. Maybe it's realistic if you're playing pinball as a 10 foot giant, but when I go to play a real pinball machine the machine is at my chest to stomach height and I'm looking down maybe a foot. Here you are towering over the machine looking almost straight down. Blah.

This isn't a negative, but if you're going for realistic VR pinball I'd like the game to feature touch controls where you are touching the flippers on each side to make the flippers flip. Like Oculus Touch or something would be perfect, but even on PS VR maybe an option for 2 move controllers and using the triggers on each hand to press the flipper on that side would be neat. Again this isn't a negative and may be a pain in the ass to play, but it'd be neat to have as an option for the realism effect.

RPS37

How did no one mention Thumper?? Shut was crazy.
So I have the US Demo disc. What DS4 compatible demos should I try that aren't on the disc?

Glix

I have a couple of issues with Pinball FX2 VR (and this is separate from my issues with Pinball FX as a game compared to The Pinball Arcade):

-The resolution is too low. I find it really distracting. Is it even running in 1080p? Also the ball animation feels like it was made for 30fps or something. Just doesn't feel silky smooth.

-I hate the viewpoint. Maybe it's realistic if you're playing pinball as a 10 foot giant, but when I go to play a real pinball machine the machine is at my chest to stomach height and I'm looking down maybe a foot. Here you are towering over the machine looking almost straight down. Blah.

This isn't a negative, but if you're going for realistic VR pinball I'd like the game to feature touch controls where you are touching the flippers on each side to make the flippers flip. Like Oculus Touch or something would be perfect, but even on PS VR maybe an option for 2 move controllers and using the triggers on each hand to press the flipper on that side would be neat. Again this isn't a negative and may be a pain in the ass to play, but it'd be neat to have as an option for the realism effect.

1. Yeah, the rez is low in some places, but I played a shit ton of Zen on 3DS, and its 1000x better than that, so I'm cool with it.

2. You can trick the viewpoint a little by recalibrating. Like, move really close to the cam, and recalibrate the view, and then move back to your seat. Or calibrate while sitting but then play standing up.

3. Yes, flippers you could hit would be cool, but like you said would probably be a PITA to play.

I got a PSVR yesterday and it made me into a believer. I want a game like the single player one in The Playroom. Like a full version of it. The only issue I'm having is motion sickness with that game and also the RE7 demo. Rush of Blood doesn't give me motion sickness, nor does Thumper. Does anyone have a way to deal with the motion sickness? I was sick for about 2 hours after trying the RE7 demo.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I got a PSVR yesterday and it made me into a believer. I want a game like the single player one in The Playroom. Like a full version of it. The only issue I'm having is motion sickness with that game and also the RE7 demo. Rush of Blood doesn't give me motion sickness, nor does Thumper. Does anyone have a way to deal with the motion sickness? I was sick for about 2 hours after trying the RE7 demo.

Give it some time. You may develop your VR legs in due time. Congrats on becoming a VR believer. It's a true game changer.

Joystick

Does anyone have a way to deal with the motion sickness? I was sick for about 2 hours after trying the RE7 demo.

Some people are more affected than others. Part of it is hereditary but there's still a lot that is unknown about motion sickness, and what you get with VR (stationary body but moving image) is the opposite of what you get in a car/boat/plane (moving body but stationary image) but both are caused by a mismatch between your balance system and eyes.

I would say that most people can improve their "VR legs" over time. Build up to it.

Here is a list of things that I've put together that will help:
  • Calibrate it correctly using the advanced calibration, including IPD. Go to settings, Devices, PSVR. For measure eye distance make sure you are 70cm from the screen.
  • Make sure that the headset is well fitted and the image is clear / lenses optimally positioned
  • Stick with games that don't move you around a lot, particularly side to side or up and down
  • Sit as close as practical to the camera to reduce wobble
  • Close your eyes while waiting for a game to load and reduce your time on the PS4 XMB - full head tracking is not enabled until the game starts and there is lag and more motion sickness without it
  • Limit total VR per day. Find what's right for you but start with 15-30 minutes if you're particularly susceptible, 1 hr if medium, 2-3 hrs if you feel mostly fine. Build that up over time if your body allows
  • Take a decent break periodically
  • Don't game while tired
  • Limit use of 360 degree videos, which can increase eye strain and headaches and therefore make motion sickness feel worse
  • Have something to sip (non-alcoholic) and light snacks to nibble on throughout
  • Take ginger tablets or motion sickness medication

valeu

maybe a way to get over motion sickness is to just play for a few minutes, then stop. then play a little more the next day. build up to it. i remember being dizzy playing my first 3d game when super mario 64 first came out, and after a few sittings i just got used to it

another idea is to read and play mobile games in the car or bus (preferably of a bad driver) which will get you used to the sensation of motion sickness and then become desensitized to it. i think that's what happened to me, commuting by bus to work for an hour every day

also, when playing re7 or here they lie don't think of yourself as walking. i mean there's no head-bob. you move through them so smoothly and evenly that it's more like you're sitting on a cart and someone's pushing you, or I sort of imagine i'm an xmen levatating through the games. neither feel like or register as walking to my brain.

Hello Gaffers,

just got my VR and tried it out and I really like it. But:

* There were were no screen protectors on the lenses. Or on the front etc. Is this normal? In a video i saw that a guy had to peel of at least three protectors. From the lenses. From the front etc.

Dont want to have an already used one. It does not seem like it has been used before?!

* If I play theres like a burnt in raster (especially in black screens) that moves with my head movement. And I dont (!) mean the visible "pixels" because of the lower resolution.

Is tha normal :-/??

*Splinter

Hello Gaffers,

* There were were no screen protectors on the lenses. Or on the front etc. Is this normal? In a video i saw that a guy had to peel of at least three protectors. From the lenses. From the front etc.

Dont want to have an already used one. It does not seem like it has been used before?!

* If I play theres like a burnt in raster (especially in black screens) that moves with my head movement. And I dont (!) mean the visible "pixels" because of the lower resolution.

Some units shipped without protectors apparently, it's normal.

I'm not sure what you mean by a raster... If you mean like a mesh that covers the entire screen then that's normal.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hello Gaffers,

Some new ones don't have covers on the lenses.
And that pattern is present on every headset. It's tiny luminence differences between the pixels.

ChouGoku

also, when playing re7 or here they lie don't think of yourself as walking. i mean there's no head-bob. you move through them so smoothly and evenly that it's more like you're sitting on a cart and someone's pushing you, or I sort of imagine i'm an xmen levatating through the games. neither feel like or register as walking to my brain.
RE7 is why I realized standing VR is the true VR. When sitting, the perspective is off and when I play in my room, sitting on my bed I feel like I am floating through through the house like
Dhalsim03.gif~c200

When I stand and play the house feels so much bigger, and more immersive since I can do things like use more of my body to lean around corners. I turn my real body (readjusting every few turns) while playing, when I stood still facing the camera it felt like I was on a twisting balance board, which gave me some VR sickness at first. I gained my true VR legs, I'm not all the way there yet but I do pretend steps to stop the sliding feeling. The only shitty part is that crouching IRL does not register as crouching in the game.

The other benefits are fast start-up and resume a running game.

The issue still persists for me. I also tried disabling network altogether in the system settings but that doesn't fix it. The only fix is disabling network in the rest mode features.

We will have to wait for a firmware update then =p.

Maligna

Banned
Yes you can. Some might say it's better with one, all down to personal preference! :)

It's way better with one. Use two hands on one sword, feel like a real ninja.

Another thing I do for authenticity is I make sure I'm only cutting with the proper side of the sword since katana are only sharp on one side, not both. This makes it so you have to do some quick U-turns with your blade in mid swing sometimes.

Incidentally Fruit ninja is the only game I have where I really feel the limit of the field of view on the PSVR. Sometimes things pop up just a bit too far left or right and I miss them, but I'm aware that if it were real life my peripheral vision would have caught them.

mckmas8808

Banned
RE7 is why I realized standing VR is the true VR. When sitting, the perspective is off and when I play in my room, sitting on my bed I feel like I am floating through through the house like
Dhalsim03.gif~c200

When I stand and play the house feels so much bigger, and more immersive since I can do things like use more of my body to lean around corners. I turn my real body (readjusting every few turns) while playing, when I stood still facing the camera it felt like I was on a twisting balance board, which gave me some VR sickness at first. I gained my true VR legs, I'm not all the way there yet but I do pretend steps to stop the sliding feeling. The only shitty part is that crouching IRL does not register as crouching in the game.

This is actually a good idea. I might try it.

It's on my radar, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. TBH, I'm a little put off by what you get for the price. I had Zen Pinball on the Wii U and I didn't buy many tables; certainly not the ones they give you with the VR version. I had stuff like Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Walking Dead.

I can tell you that Pinball FX VR is absolutely awesome. I just have the base pack and the Walking Dead add on. I will get the season in the future, but for now I really want to enjoy the tables I own. Totally worth it!

So i've been circling the drain on The Assembly and Crystal Rift. I wasn't interested for the longest time, but that VR compulsion calls and I need something until RE7 hits.

Found a great reviewer on Youtube for PSVR (if you guys aren't watching Without Parole Games, I recommend it), and they spoke fairly positively about both games. The Assembly, especially, didn't look nearly as bad as I assumed.

So what's the deal, GAF? Anybody here played either of those games enough to give them a fair shake?

Flandy

So i've been circling the drain on The Assembly and Crystal Rift. I wasn't interested for the longest time, but that VR compulsion calls and I need something until RE7 hits.

Found a great reviewer on Youtube for PSVR (if you guys aren't watching Without Parole Games, I recommend it), and they spoke fairly positively about both games. The Assembly, especially, didn't look nearly as bad as I assumed.

So what's the deal, GAF? Anybody here played either of those games enough to give them a fair shake?
Personally I'm waiting for a sale on both.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Personally I'm waiting for a sale on both.

I am pretty much waiting on a sale on any game I havent picked up after the first few weeks. I'd love to play more of these games, but the prices really arent justifiable for most of them.

bumpkin

I can tell you that Pinball FX VR is absolutely awesome. I just have the base pack and the Walking Dead add on. I will get the season in the future, but for now I really want to enjoy the tables I own. Totally worth it!
You aren't helping me keep the temptation at bay.

I am pretty much waiting on a sale on any game I havent picked up after the first few weeks. I'd love to play more of these games, but the prices really arent justifiable for most of them.
That's Fruit Ninja for me. It's five dollars more than I'm willing to pay for the slim amount of content it has.

So guys, this just hit me, could you buy some steam puck trackers, attach them to a psvr headset and have a steamvr set up for cheaper? Is this a viable solution?

Bebpo

Banned
So uh, why isn't there a punchout game for VR? Like I've played a handful of titles with virtual hands and when I hold the trigger it makes a fist and the first thing I start doing is throwing punches in VR which is fun. You'd think the easiest fruit ninja type VR experience would be punchout where you throw punches and the person your hitting actually interacts with them and then you dodge/duck to avoid incoming hits on your side. Kinda surprised there's no game like this on PS VR or even PC that I know of.

Joystick

Mentioned this in the Sony First Party Studios thread but thought it worth mentioning here as well. Both London Studios and Manchester Studio are currently hiring for 24 jobs to work on their upcoming PS VR titles. Hopefully Japan Studio is working on a game too (robot rescue full game please!).

Shoeless

Mentioned this in the Sony First Party Studios thread but thought it worth mentioning here as well. Both London Studios and Manchester Studio are currently hiring for 24 jobs to work on their upcoming PS VR titles. Hopefully Japan Studio is working on a game too (robot rescue full game please!).

That's encouraging to hear. They haven't abandoned this ship yet.

Yes you can. Some might say it's better with one, all down to personal preference! :)

2 hands is great when you get a fruit frenzy and you're swinging both hands like crazy

As most people have a dominant hand, you tend to swing more with that hand instead of using both.

I never thought to play with 1 move. I have 2 so I used both. But the right katana gets used way more

Bought werewolves within and super hyper cube today. Both great first impressions.

I was a little bummed out that SHC isn't optimized for the pro, but the graphics are still more than adequate. A little heavy on the jaggy side sometimes though.

From the Other THread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1331346

Top PSVR GAMES NA

PlayStation VR Games
1 Job Simulator
2 Batman: Arkham VR
3 Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
4 PlayStation VR Worlds
5 Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
6 Here They Lie
7 Sports Bar VR
8 Carnival Games VR
9 Harmonix Music VR
10 EVE: Valkyrie

DEC NA
PlayStation VR Games
1 Job Simulator
2 I Expect You To Die
3 Fruit Ninja VR
4 PlayStation VR Worlds
5 Batman: Arkham VR
6 Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
7 Sports Bar VR
8 Here They Lie
9 Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
10 Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality

PS VR – December 2016 (EU)

PlayStation VR Worlds (3)
Batman: Arkham VR (1)
Driveclub VR (10)
Job Simulator (8)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (5)
Perfect (New)
Gunjack (RE)
Sports Bar VR (RE)
Fruit Ninja VR (New)
Lethal VR (New)

* amazed that PSVR worlds is no 1 on the UK charts. Lots of game on there that deserve to be. Harmonix Music is a top 10 seller? That's a surprise. Tetherd, thumper and REZ not making the list is WTF (unless they're not considered strictly PSVR games - referencing thumper and Rez)

Haint

Dhalsim03.gif~c200

Yes standing amplifies presence many times over. The problem is PSVR has no floor calibration and most games aren't really developed to support it. You can "trick" some titles by experimenting with bending down and resetting the camera til you get a calibration that approximately matches your real life floor level to the in-game one, but the scale and proportions have never seemed life-sized to me. I'm not sure if the games are designed with somewhat unrealistic scale/proportion because they assume the player is seated, or if it's an artifact of PSVR's lacking of physical IPD adjustments and the warping-prone simple lenses.

Bebpo

Banned
Yes standing amplifies presence many times over. The problem is PSVR has no floor calibration and most games aren't really developed to support it. You can "trick" some titles by experimenting with bending down and resetting the camera til you get a calibration that approximately matches your real life floor level to the in-game one, but the scale and proportions have never seemed life-sized to me. I'm not sure if the games are designed with somewhat unrealistic scale/proportion because they assume the player is seated, or if it's an artifact of PSVR's lacking of physical IPD adjustments and the warping-prone simple lenses.

Re: floor

In some of these games they want you in a specific spot and a specific height. Like Holoball wants you to touch the floor and reach your hands up high. My camera being 4 feet away cannot see both the floor and my hands up. So I have trouble calibrating the floor.

Or like Batman VR wants me to stand in a specific spot but then asks for my head to be in a box 6'5" feet up and I'm 5'4"

The height alignments always seem messy in PSVR from my experience.

Sony, Valve and Oculus should all put money on the table together to persuade Activision Blizzard to develop a selection of VR only characters for Overwatch. Going from the whole mech stuff in Overwatch and Rigs on PSVR it could definitely work.

That reminds me does anyone know how long Rigs is still on sale for in the EU PSN, want to give the demo another good go before I decide to get the game or not.

ImmortalStyle

Neo Member
So uh, why isn't there a punchout game for VR? Like I've played a handful of titles with virtual hands and when I hold the trigger it makes a fist and the first thing I start doing is throwing punches in VR which is fun. You'd think the easiest fruit ninja type VR experience would be punchout where you throw punches and the person your hitting actually interacts with them and then you dodge/duck to avoid incoming hits on your side. Kinda surprised there's no game like this on PS VR or even PC that I know of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIrmhf9pRH0

So who knew? Crystal Rift? From the guys who made Windlands? Old school dungeon crawl with aged graphics and super simple combat? Yeah, it's actually pretty great in VR. If King's Field or slower paced dungeon crawls are you thing, this game really hints at what fantasy VR can be. It's more fun than has any right to be and is a game i'll likely go back to time and again. There's NO hype and NO reason to think that it would be any good from the trailers. The combat is awful, but it runs smooth as butter on PS4 Pro with not hint of vertigo in sight. The room puzzles are the appeal of the game, and while simple, it sure is a bast to play. Just wanted to spread the word on this little-discussed gem.

Mendrox

So it seems like that DeoVR is already finished and Sony just doesn't allow it. Also Google has problems with their App and they are waiting for Sony too.

Also Sony has no plans for SBS 3D and they don't even answer some developers of these apps.

I just want everyone to spam Shuheis Twitter. Fuck Sony seriously. Such an important VR feature and they are just putting a wall infront for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom