• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I would love to see this game hop over to PS VR, but it's unlikely to happen. At least the VR version anyway. Oculus helped with funding the VR version, so it's probably locked to the PC space.

I don't even think the PSVR tracking is up to the task.

Haint

A lot of people seem to be talking about SuperHot VR alot nowadays.

It's an ~1 hour long series of mechanics/tech demos which is enjoyable enough, but nothing mind blowing. The hype is way over inflated, as is the price. It's pretty much all front facing so I don't think tracking would be a problem any more than any other game.

swnny

How is the Sports Bar's pool game? How is it actually played with the two move controllers, can't find a good video of it. Anything close to the real thing or is it super arcade-y?

That's possibly true. It is it better suited to room scale gameplay? It looks it.

Nope like Reallink says it is front facing and the potential jitter of the controllers wouldn't really be any different than peoples hands. The game never really fully stops due to this anyway and it is only when you make larger and faster movements that the game goes into full flow.

ckohler

How is the Sports Bar's pool game? How is it actually played with the two move controllers, can't find a good video of it. Anything close to the real thing or is it super arcade-y?

I think it's great. Feels really natural. You have the Move controllers in the same positions you would have your hands on real cue.

Once in position you pull the trigger on your Move controller that's closest to the cue's tip to "lock" it in place. This prevents the tip from swaying (and automatically snaps to the white ball) and then you slide the cue forward with the rear Move controller to hit.

You can see a little of me and my friend playing it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3OONwrKWA&t=10m55s

Note however we were playing in "free mode" where the game doesn't track the pool. In actual 8-Ball (etc) mode it automatically tracks who's turn it is, what group you are (strips or solids) etc.

Ferrio

Banned
It's an ~1 hour long series of mechanics/tech demos which is enjoyable enough, but nothing mind blowing. The hype is way over inflated, as is the price. It's pretty much all front facing so I don't think tracking would be a problem any more than any other game.

All front facing? You sure you're talking about Superhot? I've never moved around so much in a VR game.

All front facing? You sure you're talking about Superhot? I've never moved around so much in a VR game.

Yup all front facing. Doesn't support the experimental 360 of the rift. Here is a screengrab from the official Oculus store page.

yhMlHpB.jpg

Which is here https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1012593518800648/.

If it supports more it states it.

Haint

You don't have to move around at all, the required enemies will all come to you themselves, the dodging can be done in a 1 step box, and the weapons are all placed in your immediate vicinity. I never moved beyond a 2'x2' or 3'x3' box for the entirety of the game. There are only a handful of instances where you're required to grab stuff 90-120 degrees to your sides, nothing was a full 180 from my recollection, which Oculus also doesn't officially support. Certainly if Job Simulator can be done, Super Hot is a cake walk by comparison.

Ferrio

Banned
You don't have to move around at all, the required enemies will all come to you themselves, the dodging can be done in a 1 step box, and the weapons are all placed in your immediate vicinity. I never moved beyond a 2'x2' or 3'x3' box for the entirety of the game. There are only a handful of instances where you're required to grab stuff 90-120 degrees to your sides, nothing was a full 180 from my recollection, which Oculus also doesn't officially support.

Ah, I played on Vive so I guess my experience isn't the norm they were expecting. I turned around a lot to grab guns that flew behind me, and was walking all over the place to dodge people. But ya you guys are right when I think about it, no enemies ever came from behind you.

Either way I really hope you PSVR folks get it, amazing game.

Haint

Ah, I played on Vive so I guess my experience isn't the norm they were expecting. I turned around a lot to grab guns that flew behind me, and was walking all over the place to dodge people. But ya you guys are right when I think about it, no enemies ever came from behind you.

Either way I hope you PSVR folks get it, amazing game.

Yea that would be the difference. Rift presently wigs out as badly as PSVR with all their tracking bugs and issues when you turn away from the cameras in front facing orientation, so doing stuff behind is an absolute no-go.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, playing on Vive at least, I was ducking under cars to shoot kneecaps, "leaning" my back against a bar for cover, catching weapons behind me, doing ring-around-the-rosey with a red body and mini fridge.

Basically, it was incredibly freeing, and allowing myself to go full ham in how I dispatched of a room, made the game feel like a reactive VR Hotline Miami, and me like the ultimate bad ass. Can't think of another VR game as satisfying since launch of the PC headsets.

I imagine having to plant yourself in one spot and mostly facing one way can take the piss out the fun, so in that sense, while it isn't technically a roomscale required game...It definitely plays way better in a roomscale setup without severe tracking limitations.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yeah, playing on Vive at least, I was ducking under cars to shoot kneecaps, "leaning" my back against a bar for cover, catching weapons behind me, doing ring-around-the-rosey with a red body and mini fridge.

Basically, it was incredibly freeing, and allowing myself to go full ham in how I dispatched of a room, made the game feel like a reactive VR Hotline Miami, and me like the ultimate bad ass. Can't think of another VR game as satisfying since launch of the PC headsets.

I imagine having to plant yourself in one spot and mostly facing one way can take the piss out the fun, so in that sense, while it isn't technically a roomscale required game...It definitely plays way better in a roomscale setup without severe tracking limitations.

I really need to get Superhot one of these days, but those games keep coming. There's even a Monster Hunter-like VR title coming today.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
http://www.vrn.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=4388

I just read this interesting report from Korea regarding PSVR (and PS4 Pro). The YongSan area (which is the main electronic area of Korea) didnt run out of stock and people can still purchase PSVR there, but the price is very high. Apparently the stores has been getting some of their stocks from other stores and then jack up the price and resell them, creating some sort of a grey market there.

Bebpo

Banned
Area X is worth $20 imo. It's a real next-generation experience like you'd get going to a new state of the art ride at Disneyland. Pretty damn cool.

Wait, why can't you do what you're describing in Vive in PSVR?

When I've been showing the London Heist around, I skip to chapter 4 I think it is where you're in the heist room and there's a shootout and every person whose played it has walked around, duck and shot through openings and to avoid gunshots. Basically almost exactly what you're describing. The only thing you describe that doesn't happen is turning around and shooting people behind you, but I've played PS VR games where you do exactly that and I haven't run into any issues with the PS VR tracking when you look backwards. Rez let's you do that for example. The only issue I can think of is if you block the view of the move controller when facing backwards but turning backwards definitely works with controller or head targetting based games.

*Splinter

Area X is worth $20 imo. It's a real next-generation experience like you'd get going to a new state of the art ride at Disneyland. Pretty damn cool.

When I've been showing the London Heist around, I skip to chapter 4 I think it is where you're in the heist room and there's a shootout and every person whose played it has walked around, duck and shot through openings and to avoid gunshots. Basically almost exactly what you're describing. The only thing you describe that doesn't happen is turning around and shooting people behind you, but I've played PS VR games where you do exactly that and I haven't run into any issues with the PS VR tracking when you look backwards. Rez let's you do that for example. The only issue I can think of is if you block the view of the move controller when facing backwards but turning backwards definitely works with controller or head targetting based games.
Vive allows you to move around in a much bigger area.

ErbilT

Would it be worth the 20 bucks for battlefront just to check it out??

It's impressive, but it's 17 minutes, at least 5 of which is a glorified tutorial. Explosions are nice and it does have the Star Wars feel to it, but I felt that the CoD demo kinda did the same thing for free.
I wasn't mad since I only spent $10 on it, but I was expecting more.

Well not even two weeks and I have to return my PSVR unit. This was the fourth time that I was using it and after playin some demos it started to have flickering issues.

After looking online for a solution, change of the HDMI cables, etc etc I could not fix it.

This is not my video but it is exactly what the problem is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9CUnXeJhY

Well not even two weeks and I have to return my PSVR unit. This was the fourth time that I was using it and after playin some demos it started to have flickering issues.

After looking online for a solution, change of the HDMI cables, etc etc I could not fix it.

This is not my video but it is exactly what the problem is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9CUnXeJhY

Damn that sucks, I've no issues like that only the known audio/video cut out on the Pro which is getting annoying although managed 4 hours last night with WW and all was good with no problems.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Had the first session with my own set yesterday and I was wondering: after switching the set off (with the remote button), is it normal that my PS4 doesn't revert to 'regular' mode? I had to close the VR demo disc app to go back to regular play.

It's weird: the disc I played at a friend's had the Thumper demo on it, but mine didn't. I read there are differences with EU/VS discs, but he also had an European set.

And I liked the Wayward Sky demo. I'm tempted to pick up the full version of that. I feel €40 is kinda pushing it for VR Worlds, but it has a bunch of different experiences. It may be the first full price game I try.

*Splinter

Had the first session with my own set yesterday and I was wondering: after switching the set off (with the remote button), is it normal that my PS4 doesn't revert to 'regular' mode? I had to close the VR demo disc app to go back to regular play.

It's weird: the disc I played at a friend's had the Thumper demo on it, but mine didn't. I read there are differences with EU/VS discs, but he also had an European set.

And I liked the Wayward Sky demo. I'm tempted to pick up the full version of that. I feel €40 is kinda pushing it for VR Worlds, but it has a bunch of different experiences. It may be the first full price game I try.
Did you close the application or just hit the PS button back to the dashboard? If a VR game is still running in the background it will be in that weird cinema mode.

octobot

is it worth playing for single player only?

There is no single player for Werewolves. But it is worth the money for the game. I routinely play for an hour or two daily and it's always a ton of fun. Watch a few videos to know if it's the type of game for you, as social deduction games may not be for everyone.

There is no single player for Werewolves. But it is worth the money for the game. I routinely play for an hour or two daily and it's always a ton of fun. Watch a few videos to know if it's the type of game for you, as social deduction games may not be for everyone.

Is it fast/easy to find matches? It's sitting in my basket but I'm worried I'll just be sitting in lobbies. I never found a single match in eagle flight.

octobot

Is it fast/easy to find matches? It's sitting in my basket but I'm worried I'll just be sitting in lobbies. I never found a single match in eagle flight.

I'm in the eastern timezone and only have had troubles finding a match in the afternoon (I just switched to the eu server and found one), but in general finding a lobby is not a problem. Most people you run into get hooked and play a ton. My biggest issue with the game right now is the hard locking on ps4 pro, but it's being worked on and once it's solved that will remove the biggest hurdle to an enjoyable night of werewolves.

I'm in the eastern timezone and only have had troubles finding a match in the afternoon (I just switched to the eu server and found one), but in general finding a lobby is not a problem. Most people you run into get hooked and play a ton. My biggest issue with the game right now is the hard locking on ps4 pro, but it's being worked on and once it's solved that will remove the biggest hurdle to an enjoyable night of werewolves.

Guys I was playing with mentioned this? I played about 3-4 hours solid and had no locks at all on a Pro though.

kinggroin

Banned

First, I never said you couldn't. All I did was reply to someone who mentioned the limitations of the PSVR and how SuperHOT's design wouldn't be impeded by the PSVR tracking limitations. You can completely beat the game as intended if it was ever ported as is.

What I spoke about was having the degree of movement around the game world thanks to Vive's tracking, which made the game an adrenaline-fueled action experience like nothing I played before it (and how that freedom translated to a better experience versus what they may have played on the rift). Maybe you have the perfect PSVR situation that never exhibits wobble, worble, jitter, and all the other commonly expressed tracking issues, and so you will have the same room scale experience as a Vive owner - but as a PSVR owner myself (at least a few days more anyway) the system is incredibly limiting and low in fidelity to the point where anything outside of standing still and simply turning left right or looking up and down really takes the immersion factor down a few notches, thanks to the jank.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't even think the PSVR tracking is up to the task.

After reading these two comments.....I don't know what to believe lol.

kinggroin

Banned
After reading these two comments.....I don't know what to believe lol.

While the second quote is jaded as fuck and an outlier, they aren't wrong about tracking.

The game is designed with a play stage that's mostly in front or to the sides of you. Only time I've ever needed to turn further than that was for weapon caches or if I was catching stuff mid air behind me (or throwing weapons into the next level, warping there, and catching them mid air behind me).

But from what I know personally of the PSVR's tracking capabilities (which is still worse than the Oculus Rift, which is worse than the Vive), the game is elevated by playing on Vive thanks to the freedom to act even more ridiculous without any interruption to gameplay (due to tracking glitches).

Dirt Rally in VR is going to be fucking incredible. Hopefully they get that DLC out pretty soon.

Also, Warewolves Within is insanely fun. This is the kind of Social Interaction that really sets VR apart from normal gaming experiences.

Can anyone who owns it vouch for superhypercube being worth its price tag? I've played it at shows and really enjoyed it, but the $20 (or is it $30?) tag seems a little steep. Is there a lot of content there that I'm just not seeing?

Grinchy

Banned
Can anyone who owns it vouch for superhypercube being worth its price tag? I've played it at shows and really enjoyed it, but the $20 (or is it $30?) tag seems a little steep. Is there a lot of content there that I'm just not seeing?
I'm still holding out for it to be a free Plus game. There's no way it has sold well at $30. Even when it went on sale for $20 I couldn't justify it.

Dremark

Banned
Oh no :(

They work so closely with the rigs community, this is horrible news. I hope they can at least join other studios as highlighted in the article.

It's really sad news, Rigs is a really strong game and it's a shame that the people who did such a good job with it are out of a job. On a more selfish note it's also unfortunate we won't see a sequel that takes it up a few more notches or anything else they'd have made if the studio wasn't closed.

I picked it up when it was on sale for $20. I haven't had much of a chance to play it but there's a demo. It seemed promising enough based on that but the demo kind of cuts you off before you really get your feet wet.

TheMan

Dirt Rally in VR is going to be fucking incredible. Hopefully they get that DLC out pretty soon.

Also, Warewolves Within is insanely fun. This is the kind of Social Interaction that really sets VR apart from normal gaming experiences.

According to twitter the update should be out soon after the U.K. ONLY January sale is complete.

btrboyev

Playing the Star Wars VR experience last night again, it finally clicked to me why it feels off.

The scale of the ships is completely wrong. The freighters and star destroyer should be way larger than what they are on game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom