• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone who owns it vouch for superhypercube being worth its price tag? I've played it at shows and really enjoyed it, but the $20 (or is it $30?) tag seems a little steep. Is there a lot of content there that I'm just not seeing?

I agree that the price tag is high on this title, but the challenge is there and the presentation is AWESOME! I bought the game at full price and I'm not disappointed, just thought it was a little pricy.

Playing the Star Wars VR experience last night again, it finally clicked to me why it feels off.

The scale of the ships is completely wrong. The freighters and star destroyer should be way larger than what they are on game.

Yes. The destroyers and such are still huge, but either you're the galaxy's largest fighter pilot or there's an imperial smurf division we didn't know about.

Shoeless

Playing the Star Wars VR experience last night again, it finally clicked to me why it feels off.

The scale of the ships is completely wrong. The freighters and star destroyer should be way larger than what they are on game.

Yeah, I have to agree. I love the hell out of the thing, but even from the get-go when the AT-AT makes its intro at the logo, my first thought was "I thought this would be bigger." And that translated over to all the capital ships.

It's just my opinion, but don't even play RE7 until you can get a psvr. It is such an enormously different experience.

Playing in VR is incredible, but I found it hard to get through the demo. It's genuinely scary. I think that the audio was getting to me as much as what I could see.

I'm really tempted to take the coward's way out and play the full game on the big screen.

Kalentan

Can't lie... Guerilla Cambridge closing makes me very concerned about Sony's VR future. Starting to think they're already ready to kill it now that they sold it.

I know it isn't the end for PSVR by any means but this is still pretty concerning, I figured Cambridge would have been given another big VR project after Rigs.

Why? Nothing in their recent history has shown that Sony were getting ready to gear them up for big projects. They got turned from a developer that created lots of original IP's into a support studio. Out of all the studios on Sony's books they were the most likely to shut down. If Sony shift their larger studios over to VR titles it bodes far better for PSVR than if they kept the subsidiary developers focused on the system like they did with the Vita.

Afrikan

Why? Nothing in their recent history has shown that Sony were getting ready to gear them up for big projects. They got turned from a developer that created lots of original IP's into a support studio. Out of all the studios on Sony's books they were the most likely to shut down. If Sony shift their larger studios over to VR titles it bodes far better for PSVR than if they kept the subsidiary developers focused on the system like they did with the Vita.

Bold part- um, I don't think many people would want that. (mainly non-VR owners)

Underline part - and I don't think it would drastically help with sales either.

Hi guys, wondering if PSVR is worth it if I only have a PS4 slim and not a pro. I know it's supposed to work, but will it look/perform like crap?

Performance is never an issue, as all games must run at a minimum 60fps which is then reprojected to 120.

Games can be rather low resolution, but in my opinion that's quickly mitigated by the level of immersion on offer.

Performance is never an issue, as all games must run at a minimum 60fps which is then reprojected to 120.

Games can be rather low resolution, but in my opinion that's quickly mitigated by the level of immersion on offer.

it won't look like crap.... and it definitely won't run like crap.
Sweet, thank you guys! I just told a friend about the Dirt VR news and he was wondering whether he needed the Pro for VR or Slim was sufficient. I knew the Slim counts as "minimum system requirements" but I didn't know if performance was good with it. Thanks for clearing that up.

I may also jump into the VR bandwagon soon so it's good to know I won't have to upgrade to a Pro.

Plasma

Banned

By big project I mean a full priced VR game like Rigs as opposed to a small experience that only gets put out digitally.

Bold part- um, I don't think many people would want that. (mainly non-VR owners)

Underline part - and I don't think it would drastically help with sales either.

People might not want that and might not improve sales but the big studios moving to PSVR only or PSVR compatible games would show that Sony are taking the system seriously. This was something they never did with the Vita. I think they will do but it will be more along the lines of compatibility rather than exclusivity when it comes to the big budget games simply because the sales have to at the very least match the investment and there currently isn't the user base for those kind of investments to be exclusive.

Sweet, thank you guys! I just told a friend about the Dirt VR news and he was wondering whether he needed the Pro for VR or Slim was sufficient. I knew the Slim counts as "minimum system requirements" but I didn't know if performance was good with it. Thanks for clearing that up.

I may also jump into the VR bandwagon soon so it's good to know I won't have to upgrade to a Pro.

DiRT Rally doesn't have Pro support anyway as far as I know. Perhaps it will be added for when the VR version arrives, but I don't believe anything has been announced.

Afrikan

If you friend is able to spend alittle bit more for the Pro, I would Definitely suggest it. It's going to clean up many of the PSVR Titles...and most likely all future ones.

It'll look fine on PS4, but would look better on PS4 Pro... including other games not used for VR.

If you friend is able to spend alittle bit more for the Pro, I would Definitely suggest it. It's going to clean up many of the PSVR Titles...and most likely all future ones.

It'll look fine on PS4, but would look better on PS4 Pro... including other games not used for VR.
He literally just bought a PS4 Slim so I don't think he has the money to switch to a Pro AND get a PS VR (plus wheel, PS Camera, etc). Still, I'll suggest that to him.
DiRT Rally doesn't have Pro support anyway as far as I know. Perhaps it will be added for when the VR version arrives, but I don't believe anything has been announced.
That's cool. He's just very excited about the VR stuff for Dirt, regardless of Pro support status. I'll probably make a thread later asking for the best wheel setup for PS4 & Dirt Rally for him.

Afrikan

He literally just bought a PS4 Slim so I don't think he has the money to switch to a Pro AND get a PS VR (plus wheel, PS Camera, etc). Still, I'll suggest that to him.

That's cool. He's just very excited about the VR stuff for Dirt, regardless of Pro support status. I'll probably make a thread later asking for the best wheel setup for PS4 & Dirt Rally for him.

yeah if he has the option to take the Slim back, and has alittle more cash for the Pro...then yes it would be a good idea.

I initially thought he didn't buy a PS4 yet.

I always look at spending an extra $100 on a console/upgrade as if I missed out on 2 games... by missing out on 2 games, that might/might not be good....I'd be able to play the rest of my games for the rest of the generation at their highest quality.

and heck, you can always find those two games cheap down the road.

It will be interesting to see: Dirt Rally came out long before Pro support was made mandatory. But I'm not sure whether adding a PSVR DLC and new 'complete' edition would mean they would be forced to or not.

If it comes down to the studio's choice I think it's unlikely. They have to offset the cost of building and testing the Pro patch against the extra sales it would generate.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Did you close the application or just hit the PS button back to the dashboard? If a VR game is still running in the background it will be in that weird cinema mode.

I hit the PS button. I did the same just now, removed the headset and it reverted me back to regular mode.

Anyway, tried out some more stuff on the demo disc. I love Tumble VR, played everything in the demo. Tempted to get the full thing.

Also played some Driveclub VR in cockpit view... That was a little too much for me, never again. The turns made me nauseous

Will Dirt PSVR DLC be 10£? If so I'll have to buy it day 1 ;)

It should look crisper than Drivecluvb, as Dirt isn't a 30fps game right??

Hope I'll find a cheap wheel sooner rather than later!

yeah if he has the option to take the Slim back, and has alittle more cash for the Pro...then yes it would be a good idea.

I initially thought he didn't buy a PS4 yet.
He thought about getting the Pro but read the reports on TV issues or whatnot and decided against it. He even asked me about that but I didn't really know how widespread they were, or if it was a Sony issue or TV manufacturer issue.

Anyway, thank you guys for the info. I'll let him know.

joeblow

It will be interesting to see: Dirt Rally came out long before Pro support was made mandatory. But I'm not sure whether adding a PSVR DLC and new 'complete' edition would mean they would be forced to or not.

If it comes down to the studio's choice I think it's unlikely. They have to offset the cost of building and testing the Pro patch against the extra sales it would generate.
Eh, Trackmania was in the exact same situation and they added Pro support for the VR patch. In fact, adding basic Pro support (say, a 1440P mode with supersampling for 1080P) seems simpler than adding VR to a completed title.

nampad

Wow, it's so annoying that you still can't download the demos of the demo disc separately. I own most of the games on the disc and my hdd is already full but I don't want to delete the demo disc because there is still stuff on it that I don't have on my PS4 otherwise.

octobot

Guys I was playing with mentioned this? I played about 3-4 hours solid and had no locks at all on a Pro though.

It's only the pro that hard locks. There are days when similar to you I play for 3-4 hours with no issues. Yesterday I locked up 3 times in like a half hour then gave up till later when I played one match locked up but restarted got back in the same game and played for 2 hours fine. I have no clue what causes it, but according to the Ubisoft forum they are aware of it and are working on a fix.

The video I saw said "standalone VR DLC"
Any confirmation that we do actually have to buy the full monty game?

Codemaster Blog said:

I read that as the base games (£17 on UK PSN till the 20th) + the £10 DLC.
Or the get the new complete release for £40+ (I guess). Over on Reddit one of the contributors is from CodeMasters and suggested the PSN sale will be the cheapest way.

Regarding Pro Support: if it's new boxed version, does that require Pro support under Sony's rules?

Dremark

Banned
Can't lie... Guerilla Cambridge closing makes me very concerned about Sony's VR future. Starting to think they're already ready to kill it now that they sold it.

Yeah considering how strong that title ended up and the fact they still killed the studio, it's hard to look at that news and feel good about the investment.

Aside from that it's a shame because these people were very talented and are losing their jobs

I read that as the base games (£17 on UK PSN till the 20th) + the £10 DLC.
Or the get the new complete release for £40+ (I guess). Over on Reddit one of the contributors is from CodeMasters and suggested the PSN sale will be the cheapest way.

Regarding Pro Support: if it's new boxed version, does that require Pro support under Sony's rules?

No, it's just a repackaging/bundle and not a separate game. If it got it's own Game Page or Trophy Set, then it needs to include Pro Support as it is technically classed as a new game.

Grinchy

Banned
Realistically, the studio wasn't exactly pumping out many games. And the ones they did put out may not have been making much money. They might have been on their way out no matter how well RIGS came out or sold.

Dremark

Banned
Realistically, the studio wasn't exactly pumping out many games. And the ones they did put out may not have been making much money. They might have been on their way out no matter how well RIGS came out or sold.

The studio was putting out what Sony was having them out out and assisting thier other studios. It seems both unfair and a questionable business decision to close them, especially when all of thier recent projects were limited to hardware with a small install base.

The studio was putting out what Sony was having them out out and assisting thier other studios. It seems both unfair and a questionable business decision to close them, especially when all of thier recent projects were limited to hardware with a small install base.

Not really, support companies are usually the first to go in a restructure. Just the fact they went from a studio with an independent identity to a sister company shows where Sony placed them. It could simply be that with the new direction that Guerrilla proper are going with their new IP that having an external support studio made no sense especially as the country it is in will be leaving the EU and with North West Studio being a VR focused company it left Guerrilla Cambridge in a no mans land. There are many many reasons to shut down business very few are bad. Only thing that sucks is for the employees who probably got blindsided.

Dremark

Banned
Not really, support companies are usually the first to go in a restructure. Just the fact they went from a studio with an independent identity to a sister company shows where Sony placed them. It could simply be that with the new direction that Guerrilla proper are going with their new IP that having an external support studio made no sense especially as the country it is in will be leaving the EU and with North West Studio being a VR focused company it left Guerrilla Cambridge in a no mans land. There are many many reasons to shut down business very few are bad. Only thing that sucks is for the employees who probably got blindsided.

Sony not valuing them doesn't mean that the studio lacked value. They arguably made the best game on PSVR and one of the best Killzone games on thier own.

I realize that there are business reasons to shut down studios but I don't see the value in shutting them down when thier output is good.

What exactly had North West Studio done that makes them so much more valuable? I'm literally finding zero info on any of thier output.

Sony not valuing them doesn't mean that the studio lacked value. They arguably made the best game on PSVR and one of the best Killzone games on thier own.

I realize that there are business reasons to shut down studios but I don't see the value in shutting them down when thier output is good.

What exactly had North West Studio done that makes them so much more valuable? I'm literally finding zero info on any of thier output.

North West Studio is new, well since 2015. It was set up specifically for VR, presumably would be in the middle of development at the moment. Some people said that the platform demo in Playrooms VR was theirs but I don't know how true that is and the types of artists they were looking for were to be more studio ghibli inspired from early job postings.

I know this will sound harsh but talent is dime a dozen, you can scale up and scale down whenever and big corporations have to. Sony London once PSVR Worlds was finished and before the game was released was hit with big cuts, more so than the usual wrap up cuts similarly with Evolution, they were closed once they had wrapped up all content. English studios under Sony last year were drastically altered. If GC had just finished everything they had to do as far as Sony were concerned then it looks like it was part of that.

Dremark

Banned
North West Studio is new, well since 2015. It was set up specifically for VR, presumably would be in the middle of development at the moment. Some people said that the platform demo in Playrooms VR was theirs but I don't know how true that is and the types of artists they were looking for were to be more studio ghibli inspired from early job postings.

I know this will sound harsh but talent is dime a dozen, you can scale up and scale down whenever and big corporations have to. Sony London once PSVR Worlds was finished and before the game was released was hit with big cuts, more so than the usual wrap up cuts similarly with Evolution, they were closed once they had wrapped up all content. English studios under Sony last year were drastically altered. If GC had just finished everything they had to do as far as Sony were concerned then it looks like it was part of that.

I think the "talent is a dime a dozen" mentality is honestly pretty flawed. I do not think we are going to see many games that deliver on VR as well as Rigs did and the closure of GC does not make me feel confident in my purchase.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong in time but I don't think we're going to see too many games at it's level.

number11

Decided to sell my unit. How the hell do you re-box this thing. I swear the headset has gotten bigger or the box has gotten smaller.

KalBalboa

Banned
So, I'm turning 30 this week and having a get together at my place before hitting the town with my friends. I'm thinking of firing up the PSVR.

What, by everyone's measure, is the best social experience on PSVR? Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? Playroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom