• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

antibolo

Banned
Figured I'd ask here since it has to do with the psvr. I'm gonna borrow the psvr from a friend to play through RE7 when it launches. Has anyone played the demo this way? I've watched different people play it on YouTube and some seem to show the camera moving normally while others the camera will instantly skip around. Supposedly this is an option to help with ppl who get motion sickness? To me that'd not only be annoying, but immersion breaking.

Yes it's an option.

Rotation is one of the most potentially sickness inducing actions in VR, so it jump cuts by default.

Shu said it was because people couldn't use analog sticks in VR properly and got sick and dizzy.

I hated his answer though.

This answer feels like an amazing level of b.s. Doesn't RIFT and VIVE both have analog controls? They're doing fine. Onward plays great this way.

Never mind that they've even removed the OPTION to have those controls (which seems crazy to me), but it sounds like the test audiences who played it weren't getting the controls?

I just hope that they patch it in the future. Games like Becoming Human, Here They Lie, or anything that requires non-teleport locomotion AND is advantaged by MOVE integration for immersion, would benefit from having analog. Just adding this feature won't get them to be on par with Oculus Touch or Vive, but hell, at least the MOVE/analog won't be that far behind. The current functionality literally limits the games that can be played on this system. Yes, room scale would be great but hell, just analog + MOVE would be enough for a while.

This answer feels like an amazing level of b.s. Doesn't RIFT and VIVE both have analog controls? They're doing fine. Onward plays great this way.

Never mind that they've even removed the OPTION to have those controls (which seems crazy to me), but it sounds like the test audiences who played it weren't getting the controls?

I just hope that they patch it in the future. Games like Becoming Human, Here They Lie, or anything that requires non-teleport locomotion AND is advantaged by MOVE integration for immersion, would benefit from having analog. Just adding this feature won't get them to be on par with Oculus Touch or Vive, but hell, at least the MOVE/analog won't be that far behind. The current functionality literally limits the games that can be played on this system. Yes, room scale would be great but hell, just analog + MOVE would be enough for a while.
It's not total bullshit.

My VR legs are pretty solid (had VR for years now, which is an amazing thing to think about), but the only things that have given me issues are games with analogue stick turning. So yeah, I wouldn't say it's totally bullshit...

But it's not like they don't let you use analogue turning in games that use the DS4. So...

Shoeless

Figured I'd ask here since it has to do with the psvr. I'm gonna borrow the psvr from a friend to play through RE7 when it launches. Has anyone played the demo this way? I've watched different people play it on YouTube and some seem to show the camera moving normally while others the camera will instantly skip around. Supposedly this is an option to help with ppl who get motion sickness? To me that'd not only be annoying, but immersion breaking.

You'll have to give a try for yourself and see. No one can predict ahead of time how well they respond to traditional controls in VR.

I agree with you that it's immersion breaking, but for some people, it's the only way they can play without throwing up after a while. I can play RE7 and other games with normal controls, but I had to build up to it over the first couple of months of the PS VR launch.

So the first thing I'd do, if I were you, is try playing RE7 with normal controls, but be ready to pause and take the headset off at a moment's notice if you start feeling nauseous. If you do, stop, take a break, then try it with the comfort settings enabled instead. Play that way long enough and eventually you'll get your "VR legs" and then you can try again with all comfort settings turned off.

Or, if you're lucky, you can try the game with all comfort settings off and be 100% fine from the word go.

It's not total bullshit.

My VR legs are pretty solid (had VR for years now, which is an amazing thing to think about), but the only things that have given me issues are games with analogue stick turning. So yeah, I wouldn't say it's totally bullshit...

But it's not like they don't let you use analogue turning in games that use the DS4. So...

I've got to stop looking at my own experiences as the whole, you're right. Developing for VR must be incredibly frustrating. It's like the WORST parts of developing for PC back in the day with a myriad of graphics cards, cpu considerations, and ram limitations. Only in VR, if your game isn't optimized correctly, you can make a certain segment of your audience incredibly ill.

It's tough trying to plan a business strategy for growing the platform when you can't pin down consistent reasons for an uncomfortable experience. I guess that all I can hope for are a myriad of control and comfort options on each game. Personally, I've been extremely lucky as only one game has ever made me sick (Minecraft pre patch on GEAR). I've had a ball with nearly everything on PSVR, but the lack of the option for NAV controller integration remains a little concerning.

I get it...sort of.

SONY is a mainstream company looking for a wide audience, and they'll need to make an interface and experience that reaches as broadly accessible as possible.

In an ideal world, each game will allow every option, and developers will QC accordingly. Play with MOVE, play without move, play with teleport or w/o, play with comfort turn or w/o, play with DS4, or without. Play with MOVE and NAV control.

I'm worried that companies will have to make choices that kill the experience by only making wave-based shooters, or making player-locked positions, or teleport-only games.

There's SO MUCH riding on RE7. IF it works (sales wise), the message with it's options and FPS freedom frees other DEVS to try it too. If it fails, it's the message that PSVR cannot handle experiences like those seen on VIVE and RIFT, which would make me consider abandoning the hardware....

BTails

Played an hour of Batman last night... Oh my goodness, this game is a total showpiece for VR. I'm absolutely loving it, and can't wait to play more! My wife said I was grinning like an idiot the entire time.

I can't wait for that game by the old Myst developers even more now: puzzle/adventure games are probably going to be my go-to for VR in terms of favourite genre. Being able to look through your environment in such detail is the best part about the experience, I think.

I've got to stop looking at my own experiences as the whole, you're right. Developing for VR must be incredibly frustrating. It's like the WORST parts of developing for PC back in the day with a myriad of graphics cards, cpu considerations, and ram limitations. Only in VR, if your game isn't optimized correctly, you can make a certain segment of your audience incredibly ill.

It's tough trying to plan a business strategy for growing the platform when you can't pin down consistent reasons for an uncomfortable experience. I guess that all I can hope for are a myriad of control and comfort options on each game. Personally, I've been extremely lucky as only one game has ever made me sick (Minecraft pre patch on GEAR). I've had a ball with nearly everything on PSVR, but the lack of the option for NAV controller integration remains a little concerning.

I get it...sort of.

SONY is a mainstream company looking for a wide audience, and they'll need to make an interface and experience that reaches as broadly accessible as possible.

In an ideal world, each game will allow every option, and developers will QC accordingly. Play with MOVE, play without move, play with teleport or w/o, play with comfort turn or w/o, play with DS4, or without. Play with MOVE and NAV control.

I'm worried that companies will have to make choices that kill the experience by only making wave-based shooters, or making player-locked positions, or teleport-only games.

The nav controller is shit. Ideally we'd get dual analogues with motion tracking in each hand similar to the touch controller. I'd prefer Move 2.0 rather than that damn gun, that is a niche product within a niche, the application for that is going to be tiny and I bet it will be expensive, utter waste of resources.

Having analogues in the controllers gives devs more options and is a pretty standard tech that should have been there from the beginning especially as it was clear there are many developers wanting to support this control method and the competition are supporting it.

The nav controller is shit. Ideally we'd get dual analogues with motion tracking in each hand similar to the touch controller. I'd prefer Move 2.0 rather than that damn gun, that is a niche product within a niche, the application for that is going to be tiny and I bet it will be expensive, utter waste of resources.

Having analogues in the controllers gives devs more options and is a pretty standard tech that should have been there from the beginning especially as it was clear there are many developers wanting to support this control method and the competition are supporting it.

if there was even a whiff that Sony was considering making a MOVE 2.0, I'd be there and pay whatever the heck they ask for it. Problem is, listening to developers, there's no indication that they've heard anything - and are designing accordingly. This is worrisome. I really don't want to buy the damn gun. It totally seems like a waste. However, it's looking like if I want to play FPS games with traditional locomotion, this is the only way to do it. It seems so ridiculously singularly focused, though. Like Sony brass just doesn't think that people want to move around AND pick things up with VR.

the gun seems like a questionable middle ground. Not saying that it won't work well. Just saying that they could've done a redesigned MOVE that integrates the nav controller, and we'd have the same thing. If you want to put that device in a plastic gun, have a party. Without the shell, though, that redesign would've served A LOT more games.

Kyolux

They're not going to release a Move 2.0 this gen. They would have launched with it at the same time as the VR headset.

PS VR is already a fractured audience from the PS4 with some people with moves, some people without it. Don't think they would break it up even more with a different move controller.

ckohler

They're not going to release a Move 2.0 this gen. They would have launched with it at the same time as the VR headset.

PS VR is already a fractured audience from the PS4 with some people with moves, some people without it. Don't think they would break it up even more with a different move controller.
They are releasing the Aim controller which is similar so I think anything is possible.

bumpkin

Played an hour of Batman last night... Oh my goodness, this game is a total showpiece for VR. I'm absolutely loving it, and can't wait to play more! My wife said I was grinning like an idiot the entire time.

I can't wait for that game by the old Myst developers even more now: puzzle/adventure games are probably going to be my go-to for VR in terms of favourite genre. Being able to look through your environment in such detail is the best part about the experience, I think.
I highly recommend Wayward Sky. It isn't terribly difficult puzzle wise, but it's a charming game that is fun to play. There is a demo on the demo disc that came with the headset, but I don't think it does the game justice.

Lucent

Yes it's an option.

Rotation is one of the most potentially sickness inducing actions in VR, so it jump cuts by default.

You'll have to give a try for yourself and see. No one can predict ahead of time how well they respond to traditional controls in VR.

I agree with you that it's immersion breaking, but for some people, it's the only way they can play without throwing up after a while. I can play RE7 and other games with normal controls, but I had to build up to it over the first couple of months of the PS VR launch.

So the first thing I'd do, if I were you, is try playing RE7 with normal controls, but be ready to pause and take the headset off at a moment's notice if you start feeling nauseous. If you do, stop, take a break, then try it with the comfort settings enabled instead. Play that way long enough and eventually you'll get your "VR legs" and then you can try again with all comfort settings turned off.

Or, if you're lucky, you can try the game with all comfort settings off and be 100% fine from the word go.

Thanks. Yeah so far no vr games I've played at my friends has affected me in any negative way. But I've only played Batman, Until Dawn, that work simulation demo, hyper cube...I think that's it. So nothing with normal controls.

would anyone recommend Lethal VR? I want a new game but seeing mixed reviews everywhere

I went in on this when it was on sale. It's not a terrible game as I knew it was going to be like a light gun shooter. The knife throwing is terrible though, I can get passed them and do ok at throwing them but that really needs a patch in my opinion.

For this style of play I would recommend Pixel Gear over Lethal VR.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I would have thought the shelves would be stacked with these things, but I can't find a PSVR anywhere.

sinkfla87

Got Robinson and Rigs for Christmas and just started playing Robinson last night. I don't know if it was the alcohol but I really enjoyed Robinson a lot haha. I put the headset on at 11 pm and before I knew it, I was taking it off at 1:30 am. It's definitely the longest I've played any VR game so far.

ChouGoku

I went in on this when it was on sale. It's not a terrible game as I knew it was going to be like a light gun shooter. The knife throwing is terrible though, I can get passed them and do ok at throwing them but that really needs a patch in my opinion.

For this style of play I would recommend Pixel Gear over Lethal VR.

Friend tried this. I'll echo the Pixel over Lethal.
Thanks, what type of game is Pixel Gear? Another light gun shooter?

Got Robinson and Rigs for Christmas and just started playing Robinson last night. I don't know if it was the alcohol but I really enjoyed Robinson a lot haha. I put the headset on at 11 pm and before I knew it, I was taking it off at 1:30 am. It's definitely the longest I've played any VR game so far.

For all the hate the game gets (I guess that £55 RRP didn't help) it's actually a pretty solid game with great graphics. Admittedly there isn't much action etc, but it's still a nice play through. I grabbed it at £25 and think it's a great game and a good one to show off how good games can look.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do we have some other games announced for January other than RE7?

Planet

Thanks, what type of game is Pixel Gear? Another light gun shooter?
Basically yes, using a single Move Controller, which it tracks very precisely. The game is OK for its price, but a bit boring. The best part is, there is local multiplayer! You can have up to three players steering varying monsters trying to act like they are CPU controlled. The headset player is supposed to only shoot the other players, and when he is not looking or you feel daring, you go collect coins littered on the field.

But somehow we only managed to get two players up and running. No matter what we tried with logging in and out of accounts, connecting and disconnecting every controller, only two DualShock got recognized by the game. The system itself is fine with three (plus Move). Still had some fun, I recommend it just because there are so few local multiplayer options and the price is good.

gmoran

I disagree about the aim, I think that will have real utility as a default fps controller.

I think a new Move navigation controller that is tracked would be ideal, you'd only need one so the money investment wouldn't be too high.

I disagree about the aim, I think that will have real utility as a default fps controller.

I think a new Move navigation controller that is tracked would be ideal, you'd only need one so the money investment wouldn't be too high.

The aim from what has been shown looks to be very limiting. It is the general shape of a rifle which limits the experiences to objects of that shape. Looking at games with guns being developed or out in the PC market a solid VR controller with full navigation options acts like the hands you can still do the FPS element (look at Onward as a great example) but gives you the ability to do much more, be it holster the weapon and your hands to interact with the environment, hold the gun with one hand and throw a grenade with another, and be a used in a myriad of ways that have nothing to do with weapons, or a myriad of ways that are such as reloading. The aim looks to be great for games that stick to the form factor but personally I'd prefer a control option that allows me to do as much as possible.

sinkfla87

For all the hate the game gets (I guess that £55 RRP didn't help) it's actually a pretty solid game with great graphics. Admittedly there isn't much action etc, but it's still a nice play through. I grabbed it at £25 and think it's a great game and a good one to show off how good games can look.

Yeah I'm actually impressed with the graphics. There's moments where the imperfections are noticeable but overall I think it's one of the best psvr games graphically for sure. The only real complaint I have (and anyone who hasn't started yet take note) is that if you die, you had better double check to make sure you have your collectables and data gathered. I found one of those communication rings and about ten minutes later I died like a dumbass and lost my progress. My death however was probably also in part due to alcohol.

would anyone recommend Lethal VR? I want a new game but seeing mixed reviews everywhere

Reviews have been mixed but I have had a ton of fun with it, probably more than Pixel gear.

I havent had the tracking problems some seem to, even the knife throwing hasnt been a problem for me.

For all the hype Pixel gears tracking has, ive had the same tracking experience in lethal, rock solid.

bumpkin

I really enjoyed Robinson despite its shortcomings. It's a beautiful game with cool set pieces and an okay story, it just needed more dinosaurs and Move support.

mckmas8808

Banned

I THINK he said this before the VIVE and Oculus headsets were released. I do wonder if they regret their decision now looking at those two company's VR controllers.

Shoeless

I really enjoyed Robinson despite its shortcomings. It's a beautiful game with cool set pieces and an okay story, it just needed more dinosaurs and Move support.

It really, really did. Though it had some pretty spectacular dinosaur debuts. The first time I saw the saurpods in action walking over me, I was like, "Holy hell... This... is Jurassic Park..."

bumpkin

It really, really did. Though it had some pretty spectacular dinosaur debuts. The first time I saw the saurpods in action walking over me, I was like, "Holy hell... This... is Jurassic Park..."
Agreed. That was definitely my first "WOW!" moment playing the game.

That said, I'm really looking forward to ARK Park to get my VR dinosaur theme park fix. All they've said so far about a release date is "2017", but nothing about a specific month or quarter or anything. I just hope they don't price gouge for it. I'm expecting $19.99 minimum, so if it's less than that, I'll be happy.

somme

It was playable for me, but not in an enjoyable way. The tracking was awful, especially the knife throwing.

The levels are incredibly short and very boring. VR could take us so many places but this developer chose to keep us in a white room with cardboard cutouts to shoot.

Yeah, Batman was sooo good.

gmoran

The aim from what has been shown looks to be very limiting. It is the general shape of a rifle which limits the experiences to objects of that shape. Looking at games with guns being developed or out in the PC market a solid VR controller with full navigation options acts like the hands you can still do the FPS element (look at Onward as a great example) but gives you the ability to do much more, be it holster the weapon and your hands to interact with the environment, hold the gun with one hand and throw a grenade with another, and be a used in a myriad of ways that have nothing to do with weapons, or a myriad of ways that are such as reloading. The aim looks to be great for games that stick to the form factor but personally I'd prefer a control option that allows me to do as much as possible.

Agreed, and why I think an updated tracked navigation controller would be the best compromise. But classic FPS style games would probably benefit more from a two handed gun controller, hopefully the big FPS franchises ,may start to support in some form.

I'm also hoping for a shooting range game that supports move and aim simultaneously at some point.

Maligna

Banned
Keep being surprised that Werewolves Within isn't on any best sellers list for PSVR despite everyone (rightfully) raving about it.

I want it to succeed because Ubisoft is one of the only major third parties fully supporting PSVR. Eagle Flight, Werewolves Within, Star Trek, these are all great efforts that I really appreciate and I want more.

Hi guys, I got VR for xmas, love it and the tech, but am I being paranoid? Seems there are barely any games coming out, and there are way too many 20 min long "Experiences". I really want this tech to thrive it has so much potential, but it seems game supports is really nill, even more expensive VR like Vive has Project cars and other full games. I really hope sony is pushing to get more software support, a bit worried they are going to hurt its potential with the support of software.

After saying that I am ok with spending the money on it, I know what I was getting into and the risk buying new tech at launch.

Mendrox

Hi guys, I got VR for xmas, love it and the tech, but am I being paranoid? Seems there are barely any games coming out, and there are way too many 20 min long "Experiences". I really want this tech to thrive it has so much potential, but it seems game supports is really nill, even more expensive VR like Vive has Project cars and other full games. I really hope sony is pushing to get more software support, a bit worried they are going to hurt its potential with the support of software.

After saying that I am ok with spending the money on it, I know what I was getting into and the risk buying new tech at launch.

Paranoid. This is the first time where nothing special is relasing these past weeks. These experiences are on Vive and Oculus too, but Vive currently has better games, yes, but Vive had 6 months more. :)

Paranoid. This is the first time where nothing special is relasing these past weeks. These experiences are on Vive and Oculus too, but Vive currently has better games, yes, but Vive had 6 months more. :)

YEah but I mean full fledged games, and the games seem very expensive as well for their length, I know RE 7 is one but what after that? The announcement that GT sport will just have a VR mode was a bummer, it needs full fledged games. There just doesn't seem to be many full fledged games coming, but maybe I am paranoid.

Maligna

Banned
YEah but I mean full fledged games, and the games seem very expensive as well for their length, I know RE 7 is one but what after that? The announcement that GT sport will just have a VR mode was a bummer, it needs full fledged games. There just doesn't seem to be many full fledged games coming, but maybe I am paranoid.

Get some of the great games that are already out.

Yup paranoid. Its launch window still, it has only been a few months. Sony never really reveals anything in the first year and are very sparse with their information. I didn't use my ps4 for about 6 months after I played the initial launch games. To remind people what Sony are often like in the first year:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-15-who-needs-games-playstation-4s-first-year

No different on the PS3 and same for the Japan release of the PS2, luckily 3rd party went hard for the PS2 in the NA/EU first year. It takes time for developers to create games and pre-launch developers are usually working on dev kits that are constantly changing and often have around 6 months (especially third parties) to work with closer to finalised dev tools.

I'd like it if Sony would release some short teasers but going by fans reactions to things that have been downgraded or not representative of final gameplay many companies are wary to show anything until it is more solid.

Shoeless

To be fair, this is new tech from Sony, a company that has had a history of abandoning hardware and peripherals when they don't go well for them. 3D, the Vita, and even the Move controllers are all examples of this, so I do share your concern about whether or not Sony is going to continue the support.

However, we are getting Resident Evil 7 this month, which is the first full-length, AAA VR experience from a major publisher. And we usually get new VR products added on a weekly basis.

If E3 rolls in and we get nothing mentioned there about PS VR and upcoming titles, that's when I'm going to start sweating bullets.

ffvorax

For sure there are some interesting project, RE7 first that is coming in the next weeks, then Ace Combat and others minor implementations...

I say that E3 will reveal if they want to really support PSVR or drop it. So for now it's just a new tech that needs time, like usual.

I'm personally happy with my PSVR, I'm loving the time with it, and not regret the fact that I had the possibility to jump in the VR for first time!

I'm currently playing Robinson but very slowly, now I'm going back to play with my VITA, 3DS and PS4... damn so many consoles and games and so little time... :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom