• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman76

I'm thrilled for RE7's success and I'm glad that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I'm hoping that a couple things come from this:

• Devs realize that you don't have to limit VR to horror
  • More devs pay attention to the potential of VR bringing life (and sales) to non AAA games that would normally get overlooked in a crowded market. For example: RE7 was off my radar because after 6, I was done with the franchise. VR brought me back. Similarly, I bought VIRGINIA for something like 3 bucks on a PSN flash sale. Immediately lost interest because it became obvious within seconds that the game would've been awesome in VR instead. Haven't touched it since. Were they to release a VR version of the same game, though, I'd easily double dip and pay $20.00 no questions asked.
  • VR mode becomes the new Multiplayer mode in non-high profile games. Remember when everyone thought they needed a multiplayer mode to sell a game? Well now smaller games can spend that time getting the VR audience instead of the crowded multiplayer space. Remember Dead Space 2? How they had to cram in a multiplayer mode because EA assumed that would help the game sell to a wider audience? Imagine if Dead Space 2 released today? Those resources would go to a VR mode, and I think that the return on investment would be MUCH higher.
  • Because of the reception to VR, devs start looking at ALL of the camera perspectives that VR can be used in. Unfortunately, too many devs parrot the line that VR should be First Person. That's wrong, and because of that closed POV, many aren't even entertaining the idea.
  • If you can't think of an awesome way to use the MOVE control for full on VR, that's okay. Don't force it. RE7 shows that you can make a compelling VR experience with the DS4 as long as you take the time to do it right and pay attention to details. Fans want the experimental full-on VR games, too. However, if that's not your wheelhouse, there's a place for your game too as long as you take VR seriously and not just...
  • ...brief VR mode in your game must die. Look, I get it. Devs think that offering a single VR level is cool. It's not. It's actually annoying and its a trend that I hope dies. Either offer a significant portion of the game as a VR alternative, offer meaty VR campaign packages for DLC, or just don't do it. I'll pay $20.00 bucks for Battlefront to get to your VR level. I'm just not paying 60 bucks for Tomb Raider for your single VR level.
  • Don't blame the limitations of VR on why people are getting sick. Spend the extra time to make a CONTROL AND COMFORT SCHEME FOR EVERYONE. I love smooth turning and VR comfort off. I have full VR legs, and hate teleporting, blinking, degreed turning, and comfort tricks. On the other hand, many people need this stuff to enjoy the game. So why not both? Don't limit the game because people get sick. Just make a control scheme for both crowds.
If development moves in this direction because of RE7, this is the VR industry's biggest win.

That is a great list man.

That last one about a control scheme for everyone is spot on. Looking at you Bound who gave us more camera control but still doesn't allow me to fly the camera in and out.

The new follow cam is gamechanging but to not have an OPTION for full camera control was very disappointing.

I'm also happy for Re7's success but some of us cannot play horror in any medium and would love a fully fledged game from a big company like Capcom that has other emotions than stress and fear. I hope we don't have to wait too long.

kingkenny76

I'm thrilled for RE7's success and I'm glad that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

• More devs pay attention to the potential of VR bringing life (and sales) to non AAA games that would normally get overlooked in a crowded market. For example: RE7 was off my radar because after 6, I was done with the franchise. VR brought me back. Similarly, I bought VIRGINIA for something like 3 bucks on a PSN flash sale. Immediately lost interest because it became obvious within seconds that the game would've been awesome in VR instead. Haven't touched it since. Were they to release a VR version of the same game, though, I'd easily double dip and pay $20.00 no questions asked.
  • VR mode becomes the new Multiplayer mode in non-high profile games. Remember when everyone thought they needed a multiplayer mode to sell a game? Well now smaller games can spend that time getting the VR audience instead of the crowded multiplayer space. Remember Dead Space 2? How they had to cram in a multiplayer mode because EA assumed that would help the game sell to a wider audience? Imagine if Dead Space 2 released today? Those resources would go to a VR mode, and I think that the return on investment would be MUCH higher.
  • Because of the reception to VR, devs start looking at ALL of the camera perspectives that VR can be used in. Unfortunately, too many devs parrot the line that VR should be First Person. That's wrong, and because of that closed POV, many aren't even entertaining the idea.
  • If you can't think of an awesome way to use the MOVE control for full on VR, that's okay. Don't force it. RE7 shows that you can make a compelling VR experience with the DS4 as long as you take the time to do it right and pay attention to details. Fans want the experimental full-on VR games, too. However, if that's not your wheelhouse, there's a place for your game too as long as you take VR seriously and not just...
  • ...brief VR mode in your game must die. Look, I get it. Devs think that offering a single VR level is cool. It's not. It's actually annoying and its a trend that I hope dies. Either offer a significant portion of the game as a VR alternative, offer meaty VR campaign packages for DLC, or just don't do it. I'll pay $20.00 bucks for Battlefront to get to your VR level. I'm just not paying 60 bucks for Tomb Raider for your single VR level.
  • Don't blame the limitations of VR on why people are getting sick. Spend the extra time to make a CONTROL AND COMFORT SCHEME FOR EVERYONE. I love smooth turning and VR comfort off. I have full VR legs, and hate teleporting, blinking, degreed turning, and comfort tricks. On the other hand, many people need this stuff to enjoy the game. So why not both? Don't limit the game because people get sick. Just make a control scheme for both crowds.
If development moves in this direction because of RE7, this is the VR industry's biggest win.

tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

fuck fuck fuck! just got my first tiny scratch on the left lens, happened while I was cleaning the lens with the provided cloth. how do you guys clean? I used those wet clothes to clean glasses but left some spots when dried up, so when I used the psvr cleaning cloth to remove the spot, I scratched.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
fuck fuck fuck! just got my first tiny scratch on the left lens, happened while I was cleaning the lens with the provided cloth. how do you guys clean? I used those wet clothes to clean glasses but left some spots when dried up, so when I used the psvr cleaning cloth to remove the spot, I scratched.

Nikon lens pen

Why would it scratch from cleaning it with a cloth? It surely has a different origin.

I'm using a LensPen.

RoyalFool

Banned

Can you see it during gameplay?

Also, I hope devs and publishers see the advantage of putting performance first. This seems like a rare PC title to not have any performance issues at release. I love eye candy, but I don't need it.

RPS37

So tonight's the night. I figure I'll show her the vr worlds demo first, then maybe playroom from, then Rez and probably the kitchen demo..

nampad

I got mine scratched with a lens pen...

Going back to microfiber clothes now but I think it will always happen sooner or later because you can't get rid of all the specks of dust. Never thought a speck of dust could scratch a lens that much.

Going back to microfiber clothes now but I think it will always happen sooner or later because you can't get rid of all the specks of dust. Never thought a speck of dust could scratch a lens that much.

Spray compressed air first on the lens to get rid of any dirt, and make sure your cloth is clean before you apply it to the lens.

Pretty good post. I would add two things:

1. Capcom please make Steel Battalion VR.
2. Somebody please make Descent VR

Actually, two more things:

3. Disney/Lucas please make Republic Commando 2 with full VR support.
4. Somebody please make a Metroid Prime clone in VR. Keep the morph ball out to avoid lawsuits, just make it a sci-fi metroidvania adventure in a hostile planet.

Did we ever figure out a HDMI Switch + HDR solution ?

I may have a working solution.
I'm using this:
and taking up 2 HDMI ports on my TV.

As it's not a switch, just a splitter, I have to power off the breakout box, otherwise PS4 defaults to lower HDMI standard. But the power switch is right near where I store the headset & other cables so that's not a problem for me.

HDR is now working on my TV which is damn nice. Haven't had a chance to use PSVR in last few days to check that there's no issues there.

ChouGoku

Pretty good post. I would add two things:

1. Capcom please make Steel Battalion VR.
2. Somebody please make Descent VR

Actually, two more things:

3. Disney/Lucas please make Republic Commando 2 with full VR support.
4. Somebody please make a Metroid Prime clone in VR. Keep the morph ball out to avoid lawsuits, just make it a sci-fi metroidvania adventure in a hostile planet.
Also add arcade light gun games. Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, House of the Dead, etc.

Synth

Also add arcade light gun games. Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, House of the Dead, etc.

I'd want stuff like Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, etc more.

I think the on-rails locomotion would be a little weird for most of the classic lightgun games. Stuff like the car chase scene from Virtua Cop 2 would be amazing though.

simtmb

It happens, even with a can of compressed air, its pretty tough to rid the lens of dust completely. It all sticks and with how they are slightly recessed, it's easy to just get it all in the corners and not out completely.

I personally use a rocket blower then follow up with a microfiber cloth, but only to clean oils etc, and i never inspect for scratches, as too much fuss always gets in the way of just enjoying something for me.

bumpkin

Someone beat me to the comment in an earlier thread about AC7, but I hope the preorder bonus is a barf bag. Even just watching that video makes my brain go "Uh, wha?" when they start doing multiple barrel rolls.

I want a time crisis vr :)
Seconded, but if they really wanted my money day, an HD remake of Time Crisis 1 in PSVR would be what they did. The later Time Crisis games, especially 4 and Razing Storm, kind of lost much of the series' charm. Take it back to where it all started and I'm there day one. "The one man army, Richard Miller."

I've been trying to convince myself to give Battlezone more time to warm up to me, but my patience is running out. I keep getting close to finishing a campaign and failing one way or another (even on Easy). Maybe the game's more fun when playing with people online than solo offline? I don't know. I do know that I can get something like $22 for it at GameStop, I got it when it was on sale at Best Buy for $36 (with GCU). Wonder if it's time to get rid of it while the value is still decent.

Remember the "Golem" controversy "Playing VR in increments" Some of the game can be played in VR and after about 20 minutes(example) or so we force you to Play on a regular TV. People were outraged, knowing what we know now about fatigue and motion sickness, if your position was forced breaks is stupid, has that changed to an educated understanding?

Synth

Remember the "Golem" controversy "Playing VR in increments" Some of the game can be played in VR and after about 20 minutes(example) or so we force you to Play on a regular TV. People were outraged, knowing what we know now about fatigue and motion sickness, if your position was forced breaks is stupid, has that changed to an educated understanding?

With some multi-hour VR sessions now under my belt.. I think it's dumber than I originally did.

If you're going to force me to take a break (which you shouldn't), may as well just force me to stop playing altogether. I certainly don't want to be told to play on a TV instead.

Flandy

I played like 7 hours of resident evil 7 on Wednesday across like 3 sessions lol

majik13

Someone beat me to the comment in an earlier thread about AC7, but I hope the preorder bonus is a barf bag. Even just watching that video makes my brain go "Uh, wha?" when they start doing multiple barrel rolls.

Yeah I could definetly sense the motion sickness watching that vid. Though I have been lkke 95% fine in EVE, COD and BF.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Even stupider than at the beginning. People have played a controller based game in VR in its entirety.

In any case there is no reason for a developer to play nanny. If you feel sick, you can just stop anytime you want.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah I could definetly sense the motion sickness watching that vid. Though I have been lkke 95% fine in EVE, COD and BF.

You can't tell anything from a 2D video. Social screen feeds of people playing Resident Evil VII in VR make people sick easier than playing the game in VR.

takufox

Neo Member
Just got my VR, my local Best Buy got two in just in time for RE7. Played and beat RE7 with it and I do not regret the purchase!

my wife got me the PSVR for my birthday. I told her i was having a pretty good birthday until i opened her present :)

JK, now to go out and get RE7.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ok so it seems I'm taking the plunge tomorrow (if stock is in...)

Is there any nice guide/manual with tips and tricks of setting up and calibrating PSVR that one could follow in order to avoid any mishaps or subpar experiences due to suboptimal setup/calibration?

Thanks Gaf, love you...you know it right?

Ok so it seems I'm taking the plunge tomorrow (if stock is in...)

Is there any nice guide/manual with tips and tricks of setting up and calibrating PSVR that one could follow in order to avoid any mishaps or subpar experiences due to suboptimal setup/calibration?

Thanks Gaf, love you...you know it right?

http://jobsimulatorgame.com/psvrfaq/
This helped me. Enjoy your PSVR it's a great experience! (Get RE7, and Until Dawn ASAP)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
http://jobsimulatorgame.com/psvrfaq/
This helped me. Enjoy your PSVR it's a great experience! (Get RE7, and Until Dawn ASAP)

Awesome, thanks mang!

Will do :), have 'regular' Until Dawn, should I go through that before Rush of Blood (or whatever it's called, forgot the name).

Right now only have Bound but planning on getting RE7, Rez, Thumber, Headmaster and Superhypercube (but suprisingly little has been said about Phil's foray into VR or have I just missed it?

Awesome, thanks mang!

Will do :), have 'regular' Until Dawn, should I go through that before Rush of Blood (or whatever it's called, forgot the name).

Right now only have Bound but planning on getting RE7, Rez, Thumber, Headmaster and Superhypercube (but suprisingly little has been said about Phil's foray into VR or have I just missed it?

No real need to play Until Dawn before RoB, they really aren't tied together that tightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom