• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Regiruler

I think it's fair to say it's not coming this year. They're usually revealed much earlier.

I'm fine with waiting, they could use the QA time since we still don't have the overworld in 3D. I need to finish AS anyway.

JoeM86

You'll get far more publicity at E3 than at Worlds. Not saying it's definitely happening, but it'd make good sense.

Ah, but they have never revealed a main Pokémon game at E3 before. It has always been separate. Even with ORAS, we didn't really see anything real about that game until E3, but it was revealed separately.

Revealing it separately has always been how they have done things, and it garners a lot more attention because it doesn't get drowned out by everything else.

GF needs more time to make whatever the next game is better. ORAS being rushed out did it no favors.

No evidence that ORAS was rushed out...

Ah, but they have never revealed a main Pokémon game at E3 before.
That's meaningless. They've never revealed a main Pokemon game at anything like Worlds, either.

Two years ago, people were claiming that we wouldn't see X and Y at E3 at all, because Pokemon was never at E3. These patterns really don't stand.

Ah, but they have never revealed a main Pokémon game at E3 before. It has always been separate. Even with ORAS, we didn't really see anything real about that game until E3, but it was revealed separately.

Revealing it separately has always been how they have done things, and it garners a lot more attention because it doesn't get drowned out by everything else.

And they never had big reveals at E3 or worldwide releases before XY, looking at the past for the future of Pokemon clearly doesn't work anymore.

Nightbird

Pokemon is an enormous Franchise. They can reveal something at E3 and it will be one of the biggest Nintendo Announcements immediatley.

JoeM86

That's meaningless. They've never revealed a main Pokemon game at anything like Worlds, either.

Two years ago, people were claiming that we wouldn't see X and Y at E3 at all, because Pokemon was never at E3. These patterns really don't stand.

Those people were wrong though, as Pokémon was often at E3 and had game reveals there.

And they never had big reveals at E3 or worldwide releases before XY, looking at the past for the future of Pokemon clearly doesn't work anymore.

No, I just believe that Game Freak and The Pokémon Company would rather reveal the game on their own terms separate.

-Same framerate problems
-No overworld 3D
-cut battle frontier
-released only a year after XY

Gauges read south

-Doesn't make it rushed
-Same with XY so above
-Cut would imply it was intended to be in ORAS. It was not.
-Doesn't make it rushed.

-Doesn't make it rushed
-Same with XY so above
-Cut would imply it was intended to be in ORAS. It was not.
-Doesn't make it rushed.

How could someone remake Alpha/Sapphire and not include Battle Frontier, or think that a copy/paste of Battle Chateau was a better idea? That's being either incredibly lazy or incredibly stupid, and it most definitely shows signs of being rushed just a bit.

JoeM86

How could someone remake Alpha/Sapphire and not include Battle Frontier, or think that a copy/paste of Battle Chateau was a better idea? That's being either incredibly lazy or incredibly stupid, and it most definitely shows signs of being rushed just a bit.

Well, for one, the Battle Frontier was in Emerald, not in Ruby & Sapphire :p

Busaiku

Whether it should've been in or not (it should've) and being rushed/cut are very different things.
They never intended for Battle Frontier to be in it, and it's not the lack of time that influenced the decision.

Nightbird

They never intended for Battle Frontier to be in it, and it's not the lack of time that influenced the decision.

This is all fine and everything, if it weren't for this:

xjlmv0erxx8o6rpyzjpw.png

It just sends all kind of wrong Signals and really makes it look like it wasn't included because they had no Time. Also it was a unnecessary way of teasing those who wanted Battle Frontier back.

Highwind

Whether it should've been in or not (it should've) and being rushed/cut are very different things.

Pretty much. They came out and said it wasn't included because only a small section of the fanbase would appreciate it and people don't like challenging things.

Though if you ask me, no Battle Frontier being added is just one problem I have with ORAS. The remake did nothing for me and I was left disappointed.

I have been pretty vocal in my dislike for for ORAS as a remake of the 3rd gen. My issues with the titles mostly stem from it failing to incorporate emerald elements that enhanced Ru/Sa and very sparse updates to the world (atleast not on the level of Heartgold/SoulSilver):

- Lack of the Battle Frontier, which for me was a defining feature in 3rd generation. I nearly skipped on Emerald entirely due to my dissatisfaction with Ru/Sa and lack of post game content. That and all the other updates to the Hoenn region introduced puts it up there as one of the best Pokémon games released. Having a model of the Battle Tower and acknowledging that the Frontier will exist but having no plans to ever introduce something like that again was unnecessary and from what I saw, annoyed fans. I understand what they were doing with it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and just poured salt on the wound.

- Making the game easier than it needed to be like giving you one of the Eon legendaries for free without having to earn it.

- Leading on from my previous point, rather than using the updated gym leader teams, it instead opted to using the team lineup for Ru/Sa. This is made worse by the fact that they made the first half of gym battles even easier than they needed to be. Wattson not having a Manectric is laughable to me for a remake and while they were by no means difficult games, Ru/Sa was reasonably challenging enough that no changes really needed to be made to make the gym battles easier. Lack of gym leader rematches was strange also.

In general, it did it's job at remastering Ruby/Sapphire but to me felt boring while being made easier than it needed to and I didn't get the same feeling I got from playing remakes like HGSS, which not only updated Gold/Silver, but went above and beyond what was required by introducing a new route, adding 8-bit sounds via the gameplay player, special battles like Claire and Lance with your rival, adding the entire frontier from Platinum when they could have easily gotten away with just the Battle Tower, restoring old areas such as the Viridian Forest and the Safari Zone, giving Blaine an actual gym, taking Crystal elements and properly incorporating them into the game, several redesigned areas that added new life to the world as well as the lore and history between Sinnoh and Johto. Graphically, HGSS adds little details which enhances and gives a fresh take on the Johto and Kanto region.

I understand where Joe is coming from that these are Ru/Sa remakes and not Emerald remakes, but given how much HGSS updated the world of Gold/Silver and did more than what was expected to enhance the experience, it was not unreasonable to expect ORAS to do the same and to see GameFreak not give it the HGSS treatment left a bitter taste in my mouth and the experience was not as good as HGSS (or previous titles like BW2). The lore and world building was good, yes, as was the changes to the Secret Bases, Soaring and DexNav, but to me it wasn't enough to keep me playing. In terms of remakes, HGSS to me is superior to all 3, as it took all elements from Gold, Silver and Crystal and melded them together perfectly to form the definitive 2nd Gen Pokémon experience, while still adding new features and stories to the mix to make it fresh. ORAS does well with the Secret Bases, Delta Episode, DexNav, lore/world building and Soaring (which I fully expect to never return in any form ever again as that's how GF rolls) but ultimately falls short of being the definitive 3rd Gen and Pokémon experience today by playing it too safe and not taking what Emerald did to improve Ru/Sa and incorporate it into the remakes, but rather trying to streamline the entire experience and make the series easier in a effort to draw in the mobile crowd which doesn't give a shit about Pokémon, and imo the game suffered because of it.

If I were to sum up my feelings about ORAS, it would that it was wasted potential, with nothing to look forward to once the main game is completed, thus having very little incentive to progress and finish the game. That's just how I feel about it. It's by no means a bad game, but its a game that I was ultimately disappointed with especially when HGSS raised the bar on Pokémon remakes.

JoeM86

To be fair, the elements of Crystal included was really just Suicune and Unown, and their narrative. In that regard, ORAS did follow and expanded greatly upon it with the Delta Emerald. The rest of the "improvements" were just fixing things wrong with GSC. ORAS did fix many things wrong with RS. The difficulty curve, for example. Gym Leaders started off weaker than RS, but got stronger than RS. The water issues were also fixed with encounter rates dropped dramatically while Surfing, plus various other elements such as fast Surf on Sharpedo etc.

Vylash

If I were to sum up my feelings about ORAS, it would that it was wasted potential, with nothing to look forward to once the main game is completed, thus having very little incentive to progress and finish the game.
something tells me we'll be feeling this way about the mainline games for a long time

Nightbird

something tells me we'll be feeling this way about the mainline games for a long time

My last hope is that the third Version/Sequel/whatever they are doing next will have a meaty Post-Game.

However if thats not the case, i fear for my future with the Franchise, even though i'm enjoying ORAS a lot right now (thanks soaring).

My last hope is that the third Version/Sequel/whatever they are doing next will have a meaty Post-Game.

However if thats not the case, i fear for my future with the Franchise, even though i'm enjoying ORAS a lot right now (thanks soaring).

You pretty much mirror my thoughts. I think I might actually scream in agony if Battle Chateau is copy/pasted in again.

Firestorm

We're talking about the development team that copy and pasted the Gen 5 Battle Subway teams for the Gen 6 Battle Maison soooo.....

HGSS were announced at Worlds in 2010. I wouldn't expect any Pokemon news at E3.

HGSS were announced at Worlds in 2010. I wouldn't expect any Pokemon news at E3.
Wasn't it officially announced on Pokemon Sunday back in 2009?

I'm not expecting any Pokemon news, per se, but it's hardly impossible. There's been a real tendency towards big, international streams for Pokemon news this gen.

JoeM86

HGSS were announced at Worlds in 2010.

That's not entirely accurate.

The games were announced on the official Japanese site on 8th May 2009.
We got the first footage on Pokémon Sunday on 10th May 2009.

At the Pokémon World Championships in 2009 (15th August 2009), they said that the localised versions would be out between January and March 2010. However, the game was known for months before then and was out the following month on 12th September 2009.

Keyouta

I'm glad Pokemon will be missing this year, in mainline releases. I've been getting burned out by the games recently. Hopefully the enhanced X and Y release next year will be the most content packed game yet. February is the 20th anniversary.

TrickRoom

That was even less Pokemon than I was expecting this year. You'd think it'd be a no-brainer to at least mention PSMD when its trailer came out at the exact same time. It's the best game with the "Transformation" theme that they never showed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
subbing has already reached up to noibat episode, all I have to say is SO FUCKING KAWAIIIIIIIIII!

They justified Hawlucha being the "tutor" because he can't fly too, which is nice.

Also this

yIMCkzW.jpg

Next ep is an hour special, half of which is this

c8KAkko.jpg

JoeM86

I remember when I had some people (not here) mocking me for saying back in December that all evidence pointed to no main game this year.

Question is, will we get the next game in February, like I hypothesised, and thus it'll be announced towards the end of this year or if they'll go for like 24 months without a main game and do it in the autumn of next year.

Stage On

I remember when I had some people (not here) mocking me for saying back in December that all evidence pointed to no main game this year.

Question is, will we get the next game in February, like I hypothesised, and thus it'll be announced towards the end of this year or if they'll go for like 24 months without a main game and do it in the autumn of next year.

It's funny, I thought maybe this year we'd get like Z or Y2/X2 or something but that was about it realistically since it's too soon for a whole new generation which would come first before Diamond and Pearl remakes.

But that said from the start I wasn't sure we'd get that this year or not. The second they announced Super Mystery dungeon so close to e3 was the second I knew we weren't going to get a mainline game this year. It just didn't make sense because it would be competing directly with the spin-off for sales.

I think autumn of next year would work better personally, mainline Pokémon needs the break and they can make the next game as feature rich as possible.

Who knows what they'll actually do though.

I must admit, I'm starting to lean towards XY2 towards the end of next year as a 3DS swan song.

Gen VII on the NX at the end of 2017 or the start of 2018, perhaps.

JoeM86

I think autumn of next year would work better personally, mainline Pokémon needs the break and they can make the next game as feature rich as possible.

Who knows what they'll actually do though.

Well the 20th anniversary will be in February. It'd be madness not to do anything.

We'll see around August/Septemberish

Well the 20th anniversary will be in February. It'd be madness not to do anything.

We'll see around August/Septemberish

Personally speaking, the presence of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon at the start of 2016 in Europe has given my hopes of a proper RPG then a hell of a knock. I don't see why NoE would deliberately hold a Pokémon game back if a main series game is coming at that point.

The more I think about it, the more Autumn 2016 sounds likely.

Top Bottom