• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

JoeM86

...the what?

In the TV Show "The Professionals", it showcased a few days in the life of The Pokémon COmpany CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara. In doing so, it revealed the prep work for two spin-off titles. One became Pokémon Battle Trozei where they were trying to work out how to use the real estate on the top screen. Here's a prototype image
trozei2.jpg

They also showed the very early work on a new game, a detective game starring talking Pikachu. It has voice acting etc. and they demonstrated their first use in motion capture to animate the Pikachu while it talked. They said it'd be aiming for a Summer 2015 launch
detective.jpg

We then later found the trademark for 名探偵ピカチュウ(Great Detective Pikachu). This gives us hope as we found the Pokkén trademark long before we had any knowledge of it.

Stage On

Could anyone snag an extra Dragonite code for me please? For some reason Eb games in Canada isn't carrying this promotion so I have no way to get one by myself.

Stage On

Still need it?
Forgot to grab it yesterday, but I've got a spare now.

Yes please thank you very very much :)

It's really starting to get frustrating how much Canada is being overlooked for this Pokemon distribution events lately.

Normally when Gamestop does one, Eb games does it here too, but for some reason they haven't this time which is the second time in a row we've been skipped over.

They made the Pinsir/Heracross megastone event part of the Pokemon trainer newsletter in Canada which is notoriously glitchy. I get it some times and not others so I nearly got housed when my newsletter for that never came in.

ash_ag

A new magazine called Pokémon Life has been announced for Japan. It apparently is a lifestyle magazine targeting adults and will cover all aspects of the franchise. It will publish interviews from developers and celebrities, including Shigeru Ohmori and Shoko Nakagawa.

9C3yHws.jpg

My understanding is that it won't be a monthly, but a periodical publication similar to Pokémon Fan. Interesting to see more indication of the expansion TPC is doing with their audience, following things like Pokkén and the Premium Bandai figures.

I got Alpha Sapphire at launch but just got around to finishing it. Weirdly the Pokémon I had the most trouble with in the Elite 4 was Cradily. Also did the Delta mission. Caught Rayquaza with a master ball but accidently killed the Deoxys (freaking crit). Nice that they give you a free gen 2 starter after that.

Nightbird

Haha, never thought the reactions would be that bad!

I find the concept pretty interesting myself, and I thought the first few Chapters were ok (better than Bleach right now), but looks like everyone here hates it xD

Highwind

So as there is not going to be a main game this year, wouldn't this mark the first time since 1997 that no main Pokémon game has released anywhere in the world?

JoeM86

So as there is not going to be a main game this year, wouldn't this mark the first time since 1997 that no main Pokémon game has released anywhere in the world?

Blame the removal of localisation times :p

If not for that, the west would have had 2013 off, 2014 XY and 2015 ORAS

What in the concept would hype you up.
I have to understand how someone could've possibly looked forward to it.

I was only announced as a manga aimed at an older audience. That was literally it, the fusion stuff wasn't announced until way later.

We had just come off of Black and White which had a surprisingly mature story and it was praised for it, so I, and many others, assumed it was going to be a manga that was based around mature themes.

Nightbird

What in the concept would hype you up.
I have to understand how someone could've possibly looked forward to it.

It was something new, and thus i was looking forward to it to see what the Endproduct would be like.

I mean, a Dynasty Warriors/Pokémon Crossover with a Fire Emblem-like-Gameplay sounds weird on Paper, but Pokémon Conquest ended up being amazing.

It's all about the execution. The Idea of Human-Pokémon Hybrids could have been awesome if done right, but it has been done in the most generic Shounen Way possible, wich is why it wasn't even that exciting even if you ignored that it was about Pokémon.

I'd like to see more experiments with the Pokémon Franchise, but done with people who know what they are doing. Just like the stuff they teased on Halloween last year with Junji Ito

Busaiku

Pokemon Conquest was never that weird a concept.
SRPG Pokemon isn't very crazy at all.

Human Pokemon hybrids would have never, ever worked.
Pokemon works cause of the abstraction/more animal-like nature.
There are more humanoid Pokemon, sure, but they're still so very detached from human appearance that it works.
Junji Ito's horror take on the ghosts wouldn't change this.

Nightbird

It's actually a crossover with this series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobunaga's_Ambition

The gameplay comes from that.

Huh, never knew that there was another Series. The more you know.

I remember reading somewhere that Koei originally pitched the Idea of Samurai Warriors in its current form featuring Pokemon, so I never knew that they changed game they wanted to merge with Pokemon. I thought they just changed the Genre.

Pokemon Conquest was never that weird a concept.
SRPG Pokemon isn't very crazy at all.

Human Pokemon hybrids would have never, ever worked.
Pokemon works cause of the abstraction/more animal-like nature.
There are more humanoid Pokemon, sure, but they're still so very detached from human appearance that it works.
Junji Ito's horror take on the ghosts wouldn't change this.

I didnt only said Pokemon as SRPG, but rather Samurai Warriors+Pokémon as SRPG. Don't just leave out the part that made it weird just to prove your point.

As for the Rest, let's just say that I'm more willing to give concepts a Chance where everyone else says it sucks fundamentally. Because this discussion wouldn't go anywhere since this seems to be the Problem, all right?

Busaiku

How is it Samurai Warriors like?
You mean the historical figures?
I mean, it's different, since Pokemon's always been present day, but it's not really crazy or anything. I mean there were allusions to the past in the mainline games already.

I agree that a Pokemon musou could've been weird if that was what happened instead of Pokemon Conquest, but since everything is musou now, the impact wouldn't be as big.

Nightbird

How is it Samurai Warriors like?
You mean the historical figures?
I mean, it's different, since Pokemon's always been present day, but it's not really crazy or anything. I mean there were allusions to the past in the mainline games already.

I agree that a Pokemon musou could've been weird if that was what happened instead of Pokemon Conquest, but since everything is musou now, the impact wouldn't be as big.

Yeah, the historical Figures, and that most knew them from this heavily Action-orientated Warriors-Series. But DaBoss already showed me that i got the Series wrong.

Speaking of the past, your Post gave me a Idea:

How about a Pokémon Game that plays in the Past?

A Medieval Pokémon Game sure sounds interesting to me. Or a Wild-West one, where instead of Quickdraw Gunshootings, there's battleing. There's so much stuff possible there!

Top Bottom