• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Weebos

Banned
Anybody been to a Worlds before?

I'm planning on going this year, because it is 30 minutes away, but I don't want to show up and be the weird old guy (I'm 25, yeah, I know).

Firestorm

Anybody been to a Worlds before?

I'm planning on going this year, because it is 30 minutes away, but I don't want to show up and be the weird old guy (I'm 25, yeah, I know).
I've been every year since 2012. Hawaii, Vancouver, DC, and now Boston. I'm 27 now. You'll be just a bit over the average age of college kids. Definitely worth a look around. Opening Ceremonies will hopefully be cool and you can spend the rest of the day in the Merch line...

Nightbird

There has been a interesting Twitter Post by Sound Director of the TV Series Masafumi Mima

CL0-SP4UEAAlsXV.jpg

any Idea what this means?

Busaiku

When they remake Unova, I wonder if they would do like 1 version as Black/White and the other as Black 2/White 2.
Or maybe incorporate it as the post-game.

Or will Game Freak just Game Freak.

When they remake Unova, I wonder if they would do like 1 version as Black/White and the other as Black 2/White 2.
Or maybe incorporate it as the post-game.

Or will Game Freak just Game Freak.

Probably just remake Black and White and then have a post game story that kinda covers BW2, but with BW1's cast.

Yeah I can agree with that. I honestly look forward to the remakes. I wonder what they will be like.

And I heard the news about the latest Pokemon movie. Failing to make the top 10 in the fourth week is seriously, seriously bad. I had a feeling the movie would do poorly but this is absolutely crazy.

/vp/ said:
I obviously can't reveal many sources on this one, but I've been privy to some upcoming promotional materials, and would like to share.

Two versions: Z-X and Z-Y.

The big headline feature is the presence of new Pokémon, for the first time in the middle of a generation. Not a huge amount- 28, to take Gen VI's overall total number to 100. I didn't get to see any of the new ones beyond the starters, and one we've already seen.

New starters:

Grass Starter: Foaliage- a little green horse with a mane full of flowers and tufts of grass all over its body.

Fire Starter: Smokub- a little red, orange and black tiger with smoke drifting out of its mouth. Looks really cute.

Water Starter: Doldrist- an odd little one, this- think a little blue dolphin if it grew legs. The Sugimori art that I got to see had it looking really sad. :(

Two Zygarde Megas- Mega Zygarde X (longer and thinner than normal Zygarde, with an elaborate crest on the head not dissimilar to Xerneas's horns, with blue highlights and a Ground/Fairy typing) and Mega Zygarde Y (the silhouette from the movie trailer, with red highlights similar to Yveltal's colouring and a Ground/Dark typing). Mega Zygarde X learns Thousand Arrows, specifically to deal with Yveltal, and Mega Zygarde Y learns Thousand Waves, specifically for Xerneas.

There's a new mechanic in play with Zygarde's Megas, and it's related to the green blobby Pokémon we've been seeing lately. The blob is its own Pokémon, named Zygos, and can be obtained from an area named the Shrine to Order. It's not a legendary, and many can be caught. The new mechanic, simply put, adds Zygos's power to both Mega Zygardes; for every Zygos on the player's team, Mega Zygarde's stats are increased and the design is subtly changed. In exchange for this, that Zygos is unusable for the rest of the battle. There's a significant risk-reward factor in this; you can stuff your team full of Zygos and have a brokenly powerful Mega Zygarde, while not having any backup
/vp/ said:
The focus with the new Megas seems to me to be giving them to Kalos Pokémon. The three previous Kalos starters each get two Megas- the X Megas keep their existing typing, whereas they swap secondary typists for their Y Megas; Mega Greninja Y is a Water/Fighting warrior with watery swords and throwing stars around its waist, Mega Delphox Y is a Fire/Dark witch with streaks of black through its fur and a tuft of fur resembling a witch's hat on its head, and Mega Chesnaught Y is a meditating Grass/Psychic type that's levitating on top of a shell- the one that's on normal Chesnaught's back. Their X Megas are a little more conservative in design- Mega Greninja X gains a ninja's headscarf made of bubbles and a dark cloak, Mega Delphox X looks like it's become some kind of Light Mage with long hair and a big wooden staff, and Mega Chesnaught X is now wielding its old shell broken in half as a sword and shield. In addition to these, I've seen a Mega Hawlucha (it's a lot bigger and bulkier now, with what looks like a garish headdress on top of its mask) and Mega Heliolisk (it's half mechanical now, with big metal strips surrounding its frill- Electric/Steel, I'm guessing.) It's not all Gen VI- I have seen a Mega Crustle, with what looks like a mountain range on its back- but that looks like the focus.

As for the overworld gameplay, the game half takes place in Kalos, and half in the neighbouring region to the East, Dynos. The two regions are connected by the Couriway Town train station, which has been greatly developed judging by the map I've seen.
/vp/ said:
Dynos looks very different to Kalos- far more rugged and harsh, compared to Kalos's theme of beauty. There are a lot of mountains and hills in the region; basically imagine the environments around Mt. Chimney in Hoenn, only stretched over a whole region (and without the ash). Expect this to be reflected in the Gym Leaders too; there are Ground, Poison, Dark and Steel Gym Leaders in Dynos, for example.

There will be amiibos planned alongside the launch of the game. The first wave will be made up of Pikachu, Foaliage, Smokub, Doldrist, Zygos, Zygarde and the two Mega Zygardes. More will follow later, although I'm not aware of the exact details. Their effects are reasonably limited- decorations for your room, custom Box skins, toys for Pokémon Amie, that kind of thing- but they're expected to be big sellers. A bundle of Z-X or Z-Y with its respective Mega Zygarde is planned for launch.

Expect the first reveals next week at the opening ceremony of Worlds, but don't expect too much; I believe the plan is to show off the Mega Zygarde artworks and to announce the titles. The rest of my info is meant to be revealed through the next few months of Coro Coro, with YouTube videos showcasing the content for the West afterwards.
Don't buy it.

brinstar

The only way I would've bought this is if they revealed Volcanion early. I do wonder if the next game will take place in its own region, though.

Kyzer

Banned
that first one lol...

Wow how convenient they added a number of pokemon based on a number count that's nice and even, and goes by the complaining base's count of not including mega pokemon as new pokemon.

Foaliage...yeah thats a real name.

An ability that adds power to a legendary based on having duplicates of another pokemon in your team. That sounds well thought out, balanced, and meaningful as a mechanic for the game moving forward.

Lol I was making up better rumors than that when I was 13 come on.

Hatchtag

Banned
That just sounds like a really ineffective way of dealing with X/Y's problems. The region didn't have a lot of side and post content, so instead of fixing that they'd just add a new region? There wasn't a lot of new Pokemon to make a team with, so they're going to only add just enough to tie it with the smallest generation, plus make 9 of those starters?

It's clearly fake though, thank god.

Weebos

Banned
Ah silly season. They're always ridiculous haha

It's always more fun when actual leaks come through and people refuse to believe them, though :p

I remember when Hawlucha and Greninja leaked, seemed like most people thought they were fake at the time.

A lot of bubble based conspiracy images.

brinstar

Sometimes, yeah. Like when it comes to fake/real Pokemon the final starter evolution is always the worst part because people really build it up in their heads despite the fact that the final evolution in a starter line is usually pretty different from the previous forms. Like the second I saw the tongue scarf on Greninja I knew that was real because it was creative/funny, but a lot of people were expecting it to continue with the bubbles from the previous stages.

But also I think the most "disappointing" news is typically the real one. There were a few fake XY leaks iirc but the 70-ish new Pokemon one sounded instantly real to me because noone else would lowball that number.

backlot

The XY leaks were particularly interesting because it turned out someone had been leaking info on a small site for months without most people knowing it. Then it blew up and got really ridiculous.

JoeM86

You can usually tell when leaks are real if they enrage people, lol.

The thing I've noticed is that people often believe fake stuff (like that Yellow remake crap going around. Every couple of weeks I get a flood of tweets/emails/FB messages about it), but when the things are real, they refuse to accept it.

Oswen

Ah yes, gen 5 starters final evolution leak was totally the best one.
I remember that post detailing how recycled those designs were and so on, good stuff.

Greninja, Binacle, Hawlucha etc were pretty fun too but nothing comparable.

Weebos

Banned
Ah yes, gen 5 starters final evolution leak was totally the best one.
I remember that post detailing how recycled those designs were and so on, good stuff.

Greninja, Binacle, Hawlucha etc were pretty fun too but nothing comparable.

My god, Binacle's leak was hilarious, but the best was Barbaracle's leak.

The reactions were amazing.

Once people caught on that Greninja's name was a combination of the French word for frog and (obviously) ninja, it seemed too clever to be a fake.
What would have been a good, stupid fake name for Greninja?

Top Bottom