• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Probably the servers. Even if you're away from pokéstops and gyms you should find random Pokémon all over the place.

There are often problems, but this one seems especially bad. This is like Steam the night Half Life 2 released. I wonder why these sorts of server issues happen time and time again... Is it that difficult to predict scale? Does anyone with the technical know-how care to chime in?
Ehhh... This is way better than say Street Fighter V for example. I think servers are always hard.

They had to be prepared, Nintendo joins with Niantic for that, they only had to do one Job... look at the ratings now. Yesterday was the same.
The point is that they were obviously prepared. People are acting like they didn't realize people would want to play this.

AdanVC

tumblr_o9y7g1aHSE1v68t0mo1_540.jpg

It's really shitty that the incense timer still counts down when the game is closed even though the game does no background notifying of Pokemon or anything of the sort.

Hmm. Gym battles are leaving me a bit cold. Glitches aside, they're not remarkable.

Still think this could do with a third major element: there's finding Pokemon, there's the battles, but one more could help tie it together in terms of feeling like something I'd like to spend more time with.

I guess as it doesn't run in the background (unless you buy a £30 peripheral), if you've got the app open, you're paying good attention to it because you have to otherwise it doesn't work. And just a few more things, possible less location based, to keep you interested could help.

Really liking having it out on walks though - that and capturing feels very cool.

wiibomb

are the android servers down? I haven't been able to authenticate for about an hour.

"Unable to authenticate. Please try again."

Red

Hmm. Gym battles are leaving me a bit cold. Glitches aside, they're not remarkable.

Still think this could do with a third major element: there's finding Pokemon, there's the battles, but one more could help tie it together in terms of feeling like something I'd like to spend more time with.

I guess as it doesn't run in the background (unless you buy a £30 peripheral), if you've got the app open, you're paying good attention to it because you have to otherwise it doesn't work. And just a few more things, possible less location based, to keep you interested could help.

Really liking having it out on walks though - that and capturing feels very cool.
I don't think we have confirmation the Go Plus will allow the game to run in the background. Could end up like the current low power mode, but with the option to press the Go Plus instead of using the phone.

Did the servers just bite it? I just tried my first gym battle and the game stuck me an void of endless loading and an empty arena.

fake edit: aaaand I'm logged out and getting the server issue message. welp, got all excited reaching level 5 for nothing

There goes my plans of using MUNI as a method for hatching my eggs this afternoon :(

Any notice of when the servers will be back up? Or is it just a "pray it works when you sign in" kind of deal

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There goes my plans of using MUNI as a method for hatching my eggs this afternoon :(

Any notice of when the servers will be back up? Or is it just a "pray it works when you sign in" kind of deal
Yeah, I think it's just crossing your fingers. I haven't actually been kicked out, but barely anything will load at all for about the last hour.

Anustart

Thing hasnt worked for me ever.

It cant find gps signal ever, then if it does load, im in the middle of an ocean saying to catch a pokemon but cant do anything.

I don't think we have confirmation the Go Plus will allow the game to run in the background. Could end up like the current low power mode, but with the option to press the Go Plus instead of using the phone.

Maybe not fully in the background, but definitely in less of a 'paying close attention to the screen' way, and ideally less than low power mode.

Red

Maybe not fully in the background, but definitely in less of a 'paying close attention to the screen' way, and ideally less than low power mode.
I think they did mention it counts steps toward egg hatching, so there might be some way to use it as a Bluetooth pedometer without the game running.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
Was about to head back to my hometown and kick my friends out of the gyms there, but nope. Thanks, servers.

Still a fun game when it works.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Experience sucks for me so far. Wasted an incense too due to server down. Game crashed when I was about to catch a Pokemon.

Wish they had their servers figured out prior.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So, I've started working at this job 2 months ago. I'm an accounting and credit supervisor at a local newspaper/media conglomerate so I mostly deal with just my own dept.

Took a walk through our building and got to editorial.

Girl 1: Hey new guy! You uh...
Yeah, figured I'd take a walk and see what we have lurking around.
Other Guy: Yeah, there are XYZ over here, Lindsay has an Ekans at her desk.
Girl 2: There are a few in pagination.
Editorial Supervisor: There are some at the press too, but make sure to get ear plugs.
Nice, thanks!

I've never talked to these people before, now we are Pokebros.

My newspaper is actually a PokéGym. Looks like someone's already claimed it with a Raticate for Red Team. Once I get some levels, I'll be able to hold down a Gym every day while at work, haha

aBarreras

Experience sucks for me so far. Wasted an incense too due to server down. Game crashed when I was about to catch a Pokemon.

Wish they had their servers figured out prior.

how can they have the servers figured out prior, without the users?

MajorMane

I caught a Golbat...except the servers died so I've been stuck on this screen for the past 15 minutes.

Yeah, I think I'm over this already. You don't even get My Nintendo coins.

Usually if you actually caught the Pokemon, you'll have it if you quit and come back, so that's good. Hopefully they fix server issues. That'd make the experience a lot better.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I just saw a lady chase two 25-ish guys off a pizza store because they did go near the register, behind the counter.
Outside, one guy told to the other "Eh, i really want that geodude over there though".

LIVING IN THE BEST TIMELINE.

PMS341

So what is the exact process for setting a Poke Stop location? I know it is all based around Ingress and it's data, but will there be newer/updated Poke Stops over time?

_woLf

Does anyone know if you can erase your profile and thus free up your trainer's name?

I want to start over using my google account. I'm tired of the pokemon club account having issues, it's just not going to cut it :/

Red

Does anyone know if you can erase your profile and thus free up your trainer's name?

I want to start over using my google account. I'm tired of the pokemon club account having issues, it's just not going to cut it :/
You won't have much better luck with a Google account right now.

I am going to have to take a break. the constant server crashes is killing it for me. It was fine yesterday but today its just overloaded.

AdanVC

I caught a Golbat...except the servers died so I've been stuck on this screen for the past 15 minutes.

Yeah, I think I'm over this already. You don't even get My Nintendo coins.

This screenshot looks cool. Very artsy and minimalist.

Top Bottom