• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

I kind of wonder where some of the weirder Pokemon like Lickitung, Porygon or Electabuzz are.

I haven't seen anyone with a Porygon.

Also Zapdos, Articune and Moltres. I figure Mewtwo and Mew will be locked to event, but the birds might be out there somewhere.

I feel like the Legendary Birds are somehow tied to the Gyms. Maybe control enough Gyms in an area and the Legendary Bird that represents your faction challenges you?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
req_timout: the game

gIlpm0.gif

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Annoyed this game has all the typical shitty art from all F2P games, but thats what you get, I suppose

This was poor planning around if you think about it.

Pokémon isn't a second rate franchise they'll go unnoticed when you release it.

No matter what the word of mouth was nanatic and TPCi should have expected a rush at release, should have expected Trainer Club site to be flooded with new user trying to join, and should have expected their servers to gey flooded with a shit ton of people trying to play this game.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
I kind of wonder where some of the weirder Pokemon like Lickitung, Porygon or Electabuzz are.

I haven't seen anyone with a Porygon.

Also Zapdos, Articune and Moltres. I figure Mewtwo and Mew will be locked to event, but the birds might be out there somewhere.

I caught an Electrabuzz walking to work. Fought a Hypno at McDonald's (fucker wouldn't let me catch it though, with its '??' CP stat). So far, so random.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
only thing worse than the bugs/servers is the art direction.

luckily the actual pokemon models are pretty good. also love that they started out with the OG 250

MajorMane

I caught an Electrabuzz walking to work. Fought a Hypno at McDonald's (fucker wouldn't let me catch it though, with its '??' CP stat). So far, so random.

I caught a Hypno with ???CP as well (and a Zubat too, I think). It doesn't discount you from catching it. But it usually means it's higher level and harder to catch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Couple of people I know are already bailing on this due to server issues. Granted they are casual players, but it goes to show.

This was poor planning around if you think about it.

Pokémon isn't a second rate franchise they'll go unnoticed when you release it.

No matter what the word of mouth was nanatic and TPCi should have expected a rush at release, should have expected Trainer Club site to be flooded with new user trying to join, and should have expected their servers to gey flooded with a shit ton of people trying to play this game.

Do people really think devs don't think about this?

Don't have long meetings with production and budget people? Look at the cost of having those severs long term versus the potential lost userbase at the beginning? Then look at the bottom line factoring in all those considerations?

Do you really think they just launch it, cross their fingers, and say "THIS time it's gonna work out, I bet!!"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I guess the servers are going nuts right now. Rolled over to that park which is packed with spots (all these cool plaques about the Tequesta) but none of them will load when I click them. Shame cause it's an awesome loop I could do but seems like the trip was a waste for now.
Look at all the shiny things I can't get!

oti

Banned
I wanted to go for a walk to battle in the arena for the first time but the servers are on fire so I decided to stay inside and get unhealthy instead who can I sue now.

FaintDeftone

I just randomly had my account logged out and now when I log back in it goes bonkers and won't pull up my Pokedex, my level or use any GPS features.

In terms of "gameplay" mechanics, I fucking HATE how they force you to hold the phone vertically to throw pokeballs at a Pokemon in order to catch it.

I live and work in NYC, so there are people all around. I don't want random people on the street thinking I'm a perv who's taking a photo of their cleavage or butt or whatever. I tried catching a few Zubats while walking around during lunch, but got self conscious that people were being creeped out that I was taking photos of them. I feel like this is actually a problem they didn't consider.

Had a couple of funny experiences last night. First one was i had just hit level 5 and was itching to try a gym fight. Found one close to me, and made my way towards.... a church of Scientology. The gym was right in the back of the building. Didn't want go near it so took that as a lost cause.
Decide to go to a local park and lockdown an unclaimed gym. As we're pulling up another car is in front of us. As I'm about to claim the gym, the guy in the other car snaked it from me by a split second then took off. Fought his jynx, but fell victim to the 1 hp bug. Oh well, tonight I'm trekking around to catch more, and claim gyms. Loving this game so far, it's so addictive

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
In terms of "gameplay" mechanics, I fucking HATE how they force you to hold the phone vertically to throw pokeballs at a Pokemon in order to catch it.

I live and work in NYC, so there are people all around. I don't want random people on the street thinking I'm a perv who's taking a photo of their cleavage or butt or whatever. I feel like this is actually a problem they didn't consider.

Can't you disable the AR feature to look like a normal person?

Does that allow you to catch Pokemon when the phone is held normally, that is horizontally? Or would I still have to catch it vertically? I'm more concerned about people who see the camera pointed at them, not the actual screen itself.

oti

Banned

I have disabled it myself. Doesn't add too much in my opinion and I don't really care much about it. Although I have seen people reporting they caught Pokémon inside their houses, in that case I could understand AR being cool. But outside on the go I much prefer the generic background option.

hampig

I live and work in NYC, so there are people all around. I don't want random people on the street thinking I'm a perv who's taking a photo of their cleavage or butt or whatever. I tried catching a few Zubats while walking around during lunch, but got self conscious that people were being creeped out that I was taking photos of them. I feel like this is actually a problem they didn't consider.

If you turn off the AR you don't have to worry about that. It doesn't take motion into account.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Is there a way to clear this "Unable to authenticate. Please try again" message? It sounds like y'all are getting logged in.

Is there a way to clear this "Unable to authenticate. Please try again" message? It sounds like y'all are getting logged in.
I'm assuming they're both different ways of expressing the same message. Those who were already logged in probably get the loading thing.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I like the height and weight differences.

Picked me up an XL and XS ratatta.

Anybody know if shiny exists?

lt519

Some people have had success on a bike. I think it's dependent on speed. Just make sure you have the app actually on and try it out.

So based on a GPS and not an accelerometer walking motion? Wonder if just sitting with it at work and GPS drift will rack up distance walked haha.

Hiz_95

Had fun playing this in an area with public WiFi.

I've used up my data allowance for this month which refreshes on 13th, frustrating as I wanted go for a walk to see what I can find. Alternatively I could pay £2 for 100MB however it only lasts for 24 hours with my network regardless of whether I use it all and I'm not willing to do that.

Top Bottom