• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Where is this setting?
Should be right on your screen when you go into capture mode. I don't have a pokemon to catch right now or I'd screenshot it.

edit: Rattata heard me and jumped on my desk!
KyJfrE5.jpg
Upper right.
So does the walk 5km to hatch an egg work riding a bike? Don't walk a lot but ride around a lot.
Same here! Very curious about this too. Based on how it has been tracking for me I think biking might work but not give you full credit for the distance (i.e. pretending you were walking). Would be better than nothing. I will experiment with it tonight.

Josue

I keep losing all sound for some reason.

Also how does combat work? I beat a gym but I was just spamming swipe and tapping.

Im unclear as to what I should be using my points on for leveling a pokemon up. Everytime I think I should level one up I catch a new one with higer CP.

My starter squirtle is 13cp....is that even worth putting points and candy into?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Wow. Skills appear to be different too. All the ratatta I've found so far have quick attack and tackle but I just found one with dig.

kubus

I think everyone using a google account can play, but those with a Trainer Club account can't (including me). can anyone confirm?

MajorMane

So based on a GPS and not an accelerometer walking motion? Wonder if just sitting with it at work and GPS drift will rack up distance walked haha.

Maybe! I've had it open at work and and my eggs are at a slightly higher distance than they were before. It doesn't amount to a ton though.

I think everyone using a google account can play, but those with a Trainer Club account can't (including me). can anyone confirm?

I use my google account and can access it right now.

Messed with since last night, relaized this is a garbage usage of Pokemon and deleted the app just now, feels good :)

This sounded waaaay cooler than it turned out to be. Oh well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is that what it does? So I can turn off my screen and I'll still get pokemon alerts too?
You absolutely cannot lock your phone and get anything from the app. It doesn't deliver OS level notifications at all.

With Battery Saver, if you turn it on and turn your phone vertically upside down, i.e. in your pocket), the screen will turn off, but will still vibrate for Pokemon alerts and count your steps for hatching/etc.
So does this absolutely destroy data? I'm on a pretty limited data plan unfortunately...
Unlike Battery usage, it actually seems like PoGo is pretty gentle with data. It doesn't seem to do full data pulls from the server all that often.

Alright sitting at my desk and just hit the incense. had my first pokemon appear and it errored out. i couldnt do anything to catch it. my character is just pacing without touching phone ha. I went to lunch down the road and this area is barren. i saw 2 gyms and some pokestops probably a mile away. grrrrr
it will get better i am sure

MajorMane

Alright sitting at my desk and just hit the incense. had my first pokemon appear and it errored out. i couldnt do anything to catch it. my character is just pacing without touching phone ha. I went to lunch down the road and this area is barren. i saw 2 gyms and some pokestops probably a mile away. grrrrr
it will get better i am sure

If you access Ingress, you can use the portals there to get an idea of where Pokestops and Gyms will be in Pokemon Go. I don't know how quick they are at adding new places.

Looks like the launch is officially a mess, the servers work for five minutes and then go down for 10 minutes... Niantic underestimate the power of Pokemon. You only had one job Niantic...

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I got a server busy splashscreen I haven't seen before.

I guess that's better than an error or app crash.

Gridman

Neo Member
I hate living in the barren countryside. Nothing around. Not even any Pokémon to catch. I doubt I will get much play out of this until I go back to college in August. Or is it a problem on my end?

Looks like the launch is officially a mess, the servers work for five minutes and then go down for 10 minutes... Niantic underestimate the power of Pokemon. You only had one job Niantic...
This happens to literally every large online service launch, so we should probably stop pretending like it's an easy thing to avoid.

Red

I hate living in the barren countryside. Nothing around. Not even any Pokémon to catch. I doubt I will get much play out of this until I go back to college in August. Or is it a problem on my end?
Probably the servers. Even if you're away from pokéstops and gyms you should find random Pokémon all over the place.
This happens to literally every large online service launch, so we should probably stop pretending like it's an easy thing to avoid.
There are often problems, but this one seems especially bad. This is like Steam the night Half Life 2 released. I wonder why these sorts of server issues happen time and time again... Is it that difficult to predict scale? Does anyone with the technical know-how care to chime in?

MajorMane

I was battling a gym... Got him stuck at 1hp, rebooted, all my Pokemon were healed. Stuck at 1hp again, then servers down. Sheeeeeeeeeit

That might actually be a bug (or just the servers), but for good measure:

DONT SPAM THE APP BY TAPPING A MILLION TIMES. In beta, there was a huge bug where if you tapped a bunch of times without letting the app catch up, the opponent’s Pokemon would get stuck at 1 hp and keep attacking all of your Pokemon. Honestly, just wait until the animation is close to finished before tapping again and you should be fine and still do the same amount of damage.

The lack of Pokemon could very well be a server problem. Pokemon spawn everywhere and are not limited to landmarks like Pokestops or Gyms.

I have a bus that goes up and down a major artery into my local city's CBD. I can hit like, 30 Pokéstops a trip. Already filled my bag up :)

well just caught a Pidgey. it broke out the first time but got him. i suck at throwing pokeballs. sometimes they dribble out like a sad ejacu.... they just dribble out but sometimes i shoot really far!

Kaname

Nothing in my town, while the closest one (around 10 kms aways) is full with Pokéstops, Gyms and wild Pokémons.

At first it felt like ingress, but I'm enjoying this way more than I thought it would. It's simple, but the presentation is pretty good and pretty fun. Caught an Eevee!

They had to be prepared, Nintendo joins with Niantic for that, they only had to do one Job... look at the ratings now. Yesterday was the same.

Top Bottom