• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Is this... an actual thing?

CnTlHKOWgAAkwXB.jpg:large

They definitely do not have any data on actual buildings or businesses. I'm going to guess the only data the game goes by is: Time of day, by water, by road, by pokestop. I doubt it's really any more complex than that, and for the most part, just completely random on where the global spawn generator algorithm decided to put spawn points for specific pokemon.

Salaadin

Just got level 20 and ended up 60 items over the bag limit. Spent more money on this game rectifying that. In the past week, I went from not wanting to spend anything on mobile gaming to dropping 15 bucks on this. I love it so I feel they deserve it.

I caught a dragonite on my partners phone with one pikeball, cp65 or so.... we find dratini sometimes Is it worth leveling up the dragonite?
Not sure how I'd judge worth. I mean I know I can get more Dratini candy but don't know how good the moves I have are. Just knew I wanted to get one once I found a good farm spot.

Caught a Ninetales today too. Low CP(224) but since I haven't found any place with a high amount of Vulpix I was pretty happy.
but the three steps bug

fffffuuuu i'm too lazy to walk around for hours
Lol like I said the spawn locations weren't too random so after day one I knew where to walk - sorta at least. 3 steps bug made for some frustration though sure.

Given that the brush at this park is too thick to walk through, I had no choice but to stick to trails anyway.

Pau

The posters are neat but like the average Charizard is only three inches taller than me. That's kind of sad. D:

Fireblend

Banned
Haven't been able to login all day. Not that I had to go out or anything, but I still have the compulsion of at least logging in and checking my Pokemon :p

quabba

Not sure how I'd judge worth. I mean I know I can get more Dratini candy but don't know how good the moves I have are. Just knew I wanted to get one once I found a good farm spot.

Caught a Ninetales today too. Low CP(224) but since I haven't found any place with a high amount of Vulpix I was pretty happy.

Lol like I said the spawn locations weren't too random so after day one I knew where to walk - sorta at least. 3 steps bug made for some frustration though sure.

Given that the brush at this park is too thick to walk through, I had no choice but to stick to trails anyway.

I guess I should check what moves the dragonite has

Visceir

They definitely do not have any data on actual buildings or businesses. I'm going to guess the only data the game goes by is: Time of day, by water, by road, by pokestop. I doubt it's really any more complex than that, and for the most part, just completely random on where the global spawn generator algorithm decided to put spawn points for specific pokemon.

It probably uses google maps data, you can open up your google maps and see all the buildings marked. Golf courses seem rather prominent for rare spawns. Hotels, resorts and stadiums too.

Collected 100 gold, bought an egg, evolved all my pidgeys and weedles and hit lvl 20. Might be time to pump the breaks and slow down with the game a little. Good thing Niantic hasn't quite mastered the mobage stuff like the japanese developers have and it'll probably be easier to quit it with no login bonuses or a steady stream of updates/events.

Jintor

Do they not have biomes?

Went out to a local park today with my wife and saw over a hundred people playing. Families, couples, kids, teens, punks, bros, goths, moms, dads.

Dropped some lures and took a bunch of silly Pokepics, tried to hunt down a Slowbro but didn't have any luck.

It was seriously one of the coolest gaming moments I've had in my 25+ years of gaming. Just so neat to see so many people all into it out in the world.

PaulLFC

Do we think Niantic will ever expand the number of Pokestops and Gyms, especially in rural areas? Did Ingress ever expand its points of interest (I didn't play it so I don't know what its equivalent would be)?

It seems so simple. They have Google Maps data, even just making everything containting the words "pub", "church", "park", "restaurant" etc into a Pokestop or gym should result in many more appearing in rural areas.

I keep buying PokeCoins. Upgraded my bag for Pokemon and items, dunno why. Anyway, bought some incubators as well so I can crack those eggs down quicker. Wish we could expand the storage for eggs, so it's not limited to 9.
I'd be more inclined to buy incubators if they were infinite use. I can see why they aren't (they want people to buy more), but 3 uses is a bit shit for the cost.

Jerbs

Nothing, I'm just playing off his insecurities about being a lower level for my own amusement

He's catching up pretty quick though, especially given how goddamn long it takes to hit level after hitting 20

Lol. I was just curious what would compel someone to spend $100 to catch up.

Teknoman

Yeah I was hoping for something like that, but it was too good to be true. Would be nice if they factored in weather though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently they use local climate type, amount of vegetation cover, and soil type as well, according to an interview with the Niantic devs.

Top Bottom