• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Josephl64

I stopped doing gyms completely. I just can't compete with how busy I am and having no Pokestops near me.

Still enjoying myself by slowly completing the Pokedex though.

wmlk

Man.

It would be the dopest shit if when you transfer over the Pokémon from Go, it would show the actual location in the real world where you captured the Pokémon.

Something like

Phionoxx

Having a great time with the game - it is so cool to be out and about and seeing so many people going along playing as well. Haven't ever experienced something like this before in terms of the variety of demographics the game appeals to.

Just wish the game was better about tracking distance - I'm at 54 miles (~87km) of riding my bike this week and have had the game running in the forefront for all of the cycling - Pokemon Go has me at 44km which means roughly half of the biking wasn't actually tracked in game. Or I was going too fast? My average speed is usually between 7 to 9 mph though which doesn't seem high enough to hit the speed threshold cutoff.

Not sure what else I could do to try and improve the GPS aspect. I'm on Android and have GPS set to "High Accuracy" already.

shira

Cnh6UawUEAAjk8x.jpg

Josephl64

Man.

It would be the dopest shit if when you transfer over the Pokémon from Go, it would show the actual location in the real world where you captured the Pokémon.

Something like

I completely missed his. Is it actually confirmed that Pokemon from Pokemon GO can be transferred over? Guessing it's probably a 1-way trip in that case.

wanders

Man.

Something like

Rename Pokémon "move2NY"

And view his little travel log :3

When is it a good time to start evolving? I'm level 21 now and haven't evolved anything for a while because every time I do, I find a Pokemon with a much higher CP than the one I just wasted all my candies evolving. I'm currently catching base Pokemon with CP's waaay higher than their evolved versions I made a few days ago. So making those was a total waste of resources.

Currently I can breeze through any gym with just my Vaporeon, so it's not like I need to evolve to survive. I'm just getting antsy sitting on pounds of stardust and candies, lol.

SeZMehK

I went to the beach this morning to catch me some pokes but of course the servers were down. When I was getting ready to leave, the servers were up and running. I would have stayed longer if I was alone but it was a family outing. Little one was getting grumpy lol.

wmlk

I completely missed his. Is it actually confirmed that Pokemon from Pokemon GO can be transferred over? Guessing it's probably a 1-way trip in that case.

Actually, I can't find a direct source either but I've been hearing it so much and it would seem like the obvious thing to do. But now, it might be locked behind Nintendo's systems and servers.

Does anyone know if you can transfer from Go to Sun and Moon? Has it been talked about?

Man.

Something like

Hmm...maybe Pokémon Bank will hit mobile and you can transfer through that. IDK how they'll do that stats tho.

Has anyone experienced a glitch where pokestops will not give you items despite spinning, or another one where when you're catching a Pokemon, and after it clicks two times it escapes and runs off? I haven't been able to catch a Pokemon all day.

Team Mystic needs to pick it up around where I live. Stop putting garbage Pokemon in gyms. The red menace stacks their gyms like crazy and I have to respect it. Meanwhile I clear out a gym and people instantly throw in 300 CP Pidgeottos and Growlithes for days. Why?!?! Nobody takes us seriously when you do that, Mystic. Get it together.

Red

Has anyone experienced a glitch where pokestops will not give you items despite spinning, or another one where when you're catching a Pokemon, and after it clicks two times it escapes and runs off? I haven't been able to catch a Pokemon all day.
I don't think the Pokémon running off is a glitch. I've had a few stops spin and give me nothing, or tell me "try again later" even though I haven't used them yet.

Nosgotham

guys, what does tapping the compass actually do? i notice some green lines coming off the box in the bottom right when i press it but no idea what it means

Pokemon running off is not a glitch. Try giving them berries before throwing a ball to help prevent that from happening. Also, if you have access to better quality balls, switch to them.

Have you checked your journal? Sometimes the sign spins, stays blue, and yet tells you to try again later. Upon looking at my Journal though I see that I did actually get items though.

As far as the escaping thing. Are you moving? I find this happens if I try to play the game as a passenger in a car or if I walk too far away during a long capture attempt.

Talked to a friend of my that has been playing this a bit, apparently a single group of teenagers has overrun all the gyms in town and stockpiled them with supposedly maxed out top tier Pokemon, preventing anyone from other teams from beating them.

First off, I didn't think it would happen this fast that power players would do everything they could to ruin the game for others, and secondly if true its a real dick move.

MisterHero

Talked to a friend of my that has been playing this a bit, apparently a single group of teenagers has overrun all the gyms in town and stockpiled them with supposedly maxed out top tier Pokemon, preventing anyone from other teams from beating them.

First off, I didn't think it would happen this fast that power players would do everything they could to ruin the game for others, and secondly if true its a real dick move.
Real people have jobs. That's something to walk away with!

Skenzin

Banned
I think it's still a game that you can play casually. Easily being able to meet strangers with a common interest is great. That's not something that any other game can do for you.

Just going to find and collect Pokémon and eventually transfer them over to Sun and Moon, and then keep them with me for generations.

I guess that's a way to look at it, but without being able to be competitive in gym battles it makes the whole experience seem shallow and a bit pointless. This is really only fun if you live in an dense urban area. Also, Where I live has a large number of unemployed, on disability, or just students who can throw hours a day. living in a residential neighborhood with nothing means I'd have to drive to a stop to grind for atleadt a few hours and buy items to boost all while hanging out in my car for hours. The writing is on the wall for me in this, may have to jump out as quickly as I jumped in just for sanity sake. grindcore use to be for the unemployed or the lifeless, no it's for the geographical lottery winners too. Im a little salty but nothing I said is untrue.

Biske

As much as I enjoy this game, its become more and more apparent a)that having a job and b)not living next to a pokestop have put me at a severe disadvantage in gym battles. I see an ever increasing deficit that will probably have me moving toward something else.

As the requirements to level up get higher and higher it will even out. My friend was double my level but as he hit 21, I'm progressing more levels while he struggles to move up one. So its a bit of a gap at first, but it all evens out.

Also really with gyms, even the super beefy ones, if you have a team of at least 600-700 you can make some solid work. Then once you have some guys in the 800-900 you can still take em down. Don't get discouraged.

Inviusx

Apparently they use local climate type, amount of vegetation cover, and soil type as well, according to an interview with the Niantic devs.

Again, I honestly dont see this as true. Ive caught the all different types of Pokemon in the same spot. Magmar, Seaking, Sandslash, Rapidash, Ryhorn, Hitmonlee. Im up to 90 Pokemon in my dex and have been going to the same spot every time.

Hustler

Thanks everyone for the tip on saving the low level Pokemon and evolving with a lucky egg active. Jumped from level 12 to level 16 in less than 30 min!

adamy

Banned
Again, I honestly dont see this as true. Ive caught the all different types of Pokemon in the same spot. Magmar, Seaking, Sandslash, Rapidash, Ryhorn, Hitmonlee. Im up to 90 Pokemon in my dex and have been going to the same spot every time.

There has to be some truth

Level 22 and I only have run into 3 water Pokemon...all when I happen to be biking alongside the LA river

ccbfan

I'm not sure how that works.

Beating ai Pokemon is really easy, you can take out things with way higher cp. Getting potions and revives is really easy. Unless the teenagers are waiting at the gym, taking an unattended gym with nothing more than a team of 1000 + cp evolved eevee. (Super easy to get at level 20, don't even need to power up the eevee.)

It's not by type, it's by certain groups.All pokemon can be captured but the encounter rates change.

Over where I am, you'll never see the ones you mentioned very often, if anything they're stupidly rare. Had a group of people running for just a Growlithe. But here we see Hypno's, Jynx, Gengar's, Dewgongs, Kinglers, Fearows everywhere(Almost expected to be seen in gyms here). Hell my tracker had a full page of Drowzee's once.

gaiages

Banned
Evolved two Eevees today... Sparky and Rainer become Jolteon and Vaporeon, respectively :D

Even with the server problems, had a ton of fun going out all day and catching Pokemon with friends. Such a great game, technical problems aside :p

Skenzin

Banned
As the requirements to level up get higher and higher it will even out. My friend was double my level but as he hit 21, I'm progressing more levels while he struggles to move up one. So its a bit of a gap at first, but it all evens out.

Also really with gyms, even the super beefy ones, if you have a team of at least 600-700 you can make some solid work. Then once you have some guys in the 800-900 you can still take em down. Don't get discouraged.

Thanks. i needed to hear that.

Everywhere I go has the same Pokémon:
-Pidgey
-Weedle
-Spearow
-Rattata
-Eevee
-Caterpie

In that order. Very occasionally you will find something like an Oddish, Drowzee, Paras, or Bellsprout. But it's very difficult to find diverse populations of Pokémon. I have driven to a variety of different towns and locations in Southern Maine and they all overwhelmingly feature the same Pokémon at the same frequency. There aren't many places I can drive to and walk around every day, and it's upsetting when the walkable places only feature the usual suspects.

I am spending the weekend in Boston and it's like night and day. The diversity of the Pokémon is so robust, and it actually seems to reflect the terrain. I am actually finding water Pokémon by water as opposed to... Nothing.

The issue is that, from what I understand, Pokémon spawns are reliant on cellular activity. You can't just go for a walk in a nature reserve or on the beach because there isn't anybody there but you. And if there is nobody there, Pokémon don't spawn.

I haven't been able to spawn a single Pokémon around my own house. That's a pain. There's a town next to mine with a perfect walking route to repeatedly hit the same six or seven PokéStops, but no Pokémon actually spawn.

There is a Franciscan Monestary as well with beautiful statues and walking paths around the wooded campus. It's right on the water front. Every statue of a saint or an angel is a PokéStop, but I spent two hours there and no Pokémon spawned the entire time.

Pokemon running off is not a glitch. Try giving them berries before throwing a ball to help prevent that from happening. Also, if you have access to better quality balls, switch to them.

I've been using berries and great balls actually, doesn't matter if I'm trying to catch a 30 CP Pidgey, they escape.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks. i needed to hear that.
It's even less "locked up" than that. With skill against the AI you can do serious damage to any gym once you have a few "heavy hitters" even at way below CP range. The biggest problem with this honestly is that you actually have to go to a gym to practice but it works.

Biske

It's even less "locked up" than that. With skill against the AI you can do serious damage to any gym once you have a few "heavy hitters" even at way below CP range. The biggest problem with this honestly is that you actually have to go to a gym to practice but it works.

Yeah with good dodging and clever special move use you can battle way above your CP.

Really helps too if you have a fast guy. My Jolteon is lightning quick an in a good battle I can hit a guy 2, 3 maybe 4 times before they hit me. Also if you are dying, get that super in, so at least your next poke can have a head start.

Also! If you have a friends on the same team, if you all fight the gym at the same time, it will be your 2 or 3 pokemon versus their one.

Even with weak pokes, you can grind that gym down by just reviving and potions. Its actually really hard to keep a gym for a decent length of time.

My strategy now is to find the most out of the way gyms that don't see a lot of traffic and take as many of those as I can, so I can claim a higher store reward before they are taken. Its very rare I will hold a place in a gym longer than an hour or two.

Teknoman

Where was it said that Pokemon spawns depend on cell activity anyway? That seems like a dumb way to do things, especially when looking at either of the trailers (teaser and launch).

Top Bottom