• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Direct 01.08.13 (U.S.-6AM EST, EUR-12PM CET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
20899 was my first trainer ID number. I don't know why I remember it. It seemed significant at the time.

I still sometimes spend up to 30 minutes restarting new games until I get a trainer ID I like. -_-

Rubius

According to that quiz it's 152.

And I don't believe in penis monsters in my pogeyman games.

Only in SMT?
310px-376.jpg

Well go ahead. Test yourself. http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/pokemon Name me the 151 Pokemons.

91 with about 3-4 pauses to think.

I don't remember my classic team exactly, I was 7 when this game came out so it was probably all legendaries by the end. Even in the new games, I normally assemble a team of from the first 2 gens - Typhlosion, Espion, Haunter, Golduck, Vileplume, Pikachu (or Lugia if a legendary is allowed). I'll concede that the team itself is terrible, but sometime you gotta go with the favorites.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nintendo wouldn't even begin to know how to begin on such a project. Internet confuses them.
Maybe they can outsource it to somewhere that knows and understands what the internet is.

Or wait 14 years until next next next gen when they finally understand.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah people claiming "Missingno" is a missing pokemon better prepare their pluto defense - that is, if you're gonna "count" Missingno then you better count the other glitches.

Stupid pop culture osmosis.

Maybe they can outsource it to somewhere that knows and understands what the internet is.

Or wait 14 years until next next next gen when they finally understand.
And the MMO idea itself being terrible in the first place. Besides, it's not like they don't outsource spin-off games and even the arena games.

Rubius

Yeah people claiming "Missingno" is a missing pokemon better prepare their pluto defense - that is, if you're gonna "count" Missingno then you better count the other glitches.

Stupid pop culture osmosis.

And the MMO idea itself being terrible in the first place. Besides, it's not like they don't outsource spin-off games and even the arena games.

Of course its not a Pokemon. At least not until they bring out the Pre evolution of Porygon.
Soon.
Soon.

Is there any link for the US one? I wanna bookmark it to watch it in the morning. If I come to GAF looking for it I'll likely see what the reveal was before I get a chance to see the video.

Boogiepop

Oh, oh god I'm bad at gen 5 names. I got 65/156. That's... not good. I even managed to picture Sigilyph in my head early on but had NO idea what it's name was. I'm ashamed.

Also, all that needs to be said about my team in Gen I is that I had an awesome Sandslash that was far more powerful than it should've been. I can only assume that it was in the top percentage of Sandslash.

Berordn

I dont get this. Ater all these years, is there some reason Nintendo doesnt buy TPC? It seems like a big gamble for them to not just make it their own franchise 100%

Because they still have the majority stake, and it's not like Gamefreak is about to run away from their baby/cash cow.

By all accounts, it's a very healthy relationship between the two (three?) companies.

Croc

Banned
I'm not getting my hopes up since it's supposedly only a 10 minute announcement -- 7 minutes of that which will probably be the history of the franchise/retrospect on how well it's sold.

What would they need more than 10 minutes for? It's not going to be a full on blow-out of the game the first time it's shown, most likely just an announcement and a few pics on whatever it is.

Boss Doggie

I dont get this. Ater all these years, is there some reason Nintendo doesnt buy TPC? It seems like a big gamble for them to not just make it their own franchise 100%

Even if they buy TPC, Gamefreak technically still isn't affiliated with it. IIRC Gamefreak isn't fully owned by Nintendo.

They own two-thirds of The Pokemon Company, and this method keeps Game Freak sweet.

Push comes to shove, Nintendo wouldn't allow the series to go elsewhere, but the current setup favours both parties.

Berordn

You guys suppose there'll be subtitles for the US/UK stream?

I'm not familiar with this whole Direct process.

They're usually pre-recorded in advance for each region. Iwata will give a little intro and they'll cut to footage.

Right, but why not buy them. You know, so it's all nder one company and there's nothing to worry about.

What is there to worry about now? Gamefreak likes the freedom, TPCi likes the autonomy, Nintendo likes the money.

oh god now I'm listening to another one of those "here's all the Pokemon theme" videos

it's hilarious how utterly shitty they get during Gen IV

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, anyone know a place where the Nintendo Direct will be available for those who missed it live?

I REALLY wanna watch it first on my own, and I won't be able to watch it live...but if I try and browse GAF or Youtube for it, I'll probably end up spoiling. So, is there a link where it will be placed?

Boss Doggie

Oh god this thread already has 1500+ posts and the announcement hasn't even begun.

SEVEN HOURS LEFT

So, anyone know a place where the Nintendo Direct will be available for those who missed it live?

I REALLY wanna watch it first on my own, and I won't be able to watch it live...but if I try and browse GAF or Youtube for it, I'll probably end up spoiling. So, is there a link where it will be placed?

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/01-08-2013/

This should have a link to the Nintendo Direct without giving anything away, as long as you don't scroll down.

Firestorm

Because they still have the majority stake, and it's not like Gamefreak is about to run away from their baby/cash cow.

By all accounts, it's a very healthy relationship between the two (three?) companies.
4. Nintendo, The Pokemon Company International, Game Freak, and Creatures are all involved in the franchise. Although I guess TPCi could be seen as technically a Nintendo subsidiary.

Can you please provide examples as to what "something out of a 12-year-old's mind" is and why they're inferior to such """""""""""gems"""""""""" as Muk and Voltorb? I can't really see where you're coming from, especially since some of the new ones are pretty darn "organic" while remaining creative and unique:

560.gif
557.gif
571.gif
549.gif
612.gif
635.gif

Like I said, it all comes down to opinions. Niether one of us are right or wrong in whats better or worse, but I do vastly prefer the older designs.

Of the designs you posted, I only like Dwebble.. In fact, I love that one.. the others sum up my negative feelings- bright, stand out colors and designs that don't mesh with their actual animal they are 'emulating'. I really dislike Scraggy/Scrafty (lol sorry), Haxorus (I like his early evo forms a lot though), and Hydreigon.. I'm not really fond of Zoroark either, though that could be fixed with a more appealing/toned down, less 'cartoon monster' look.

I think this picture sums up what I don't like-
Are there more Pokemon redesigned to look like they are from different gens? I only know of this:

ibuGgQ7AFreqFG.jpg
The loud, random, over-designed look as opposed to the simplistic but more charming (IMO) look.

Forget salting food with them.

Drink them raw.

j5KY0.gif

This is amazingly adorable.. if the games could ever channel this art I would be in love.

Berordn

4. Nintendo, The Pokemon Company International, Game Freak, and Creatures are all involved in the franchise. Although I guess TPCi could be seen as technically a Nintendo subsidiary.

Creatures is also a fully-owned subsidiary of Nintendo.

Nintendo and Creatures both have a 1/3rd stake in TPCi, with Gamefreak holding the remainder, effectively giving Nintendo 66% control.

FreeMufasa

They're usually pre-recorded in advance for each region. Iwata will give a little intro and they'll cut to footage.

What is there to worry about now? Gamefreak likes the freedom, TPCi likes the autonomy, Nintendo likes the money.

Nintendo were majority in rare before MS went to da bros. and den they had to sell up. Cd happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom