• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go - Halloween Event

wwm0nkey

It's so strange that it's taken them this long to realize they have an actual mobile game. You have to have events in F2P titles like this -- hell just in persistent online games in general. They need to have a daily login bonus system to encourage people to boot up the app. Stuff like this is F2P 101 and a requirement to help keep people engaged and yet they just basically have ignored every possible convention in the post-release world and it's been to their detriment.

This seems to have helped though. Looking at UT's campus, I see a few lures in place which have not been common for months.
Yeah they need to do more events, it's helped a lot of the issues with retaining players.

Yeah, I'm also seeing a lot more Meowths, Cubones and Marowaks.

This was all I was seeing earlier today. I even had 3 different ghastlys on my sightings map but they never spawn was always a cubone or meowth. lol

I did however caught a Hypno that literally appeared out of nowhere. I'm liking this event and hope they have more of these soon. I got to hit 90 pokemon caught due to this event today! Still have a good ways to go.

Koppai

Gengar popped up near a house that caught on fire twice in the past few days. So eery lol. I caught like 2 Haunter and a bunch of Gastly last night.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I actually feel like I'm making progress again in this game. I've been walking ~5km about 3-4x weekly and walked to evolve 2 new pokemon over a month, and in just a day I have 3 more. 120 more for Magikarp. I wonder if those still show up near water - 6 candies per catch would take ~30 minutes to complete.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It's so strange that it's taken them this long to realize they have an actual mobile game. You have to have events in F2P titles like this -- hell just in persistent online games in general. They need to have a daily login bonus system to encourage people to boot up the app. Stuff like this is F2P 101 and a requirement to help keep people engaged and yet they just basically have ignored every possible convention in the post-release world and it's been to their detriment.

This seems to have helped though. Looking at UT's campus, I see a few lures in place which have not been common for months.

I don't think they know what they're doing. Given how poor the initial release was, they probably didn't spend that many development years on it. It released, and they saw the millions of dollars roll in and started staffing people to make improvements. I feel like we're just now getting some of the output. They'll probably do more events and start releasing gen 2 stuff in the next few months.

kiri

Enjoying this event so far - finally evolved my 100/Perfect Gyarados so now need to buff him up!

I suppose whilst I'm home tomorrow I will drop a lure and reap the benefits!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So many balls wasted trying to get a perfect Gengar and Marowak. They are pure bastards.

They rushed it for a summer release and probably didn't expect it to get as popular as it did. The additional revenue will pay off, but it'll take time.

We don't get Drowzees around here, caught enough to evolve to Hypno twice. Also caught more Gastly and a wild Haunter. Bought a bunch of incubators and went to the park with 8 5 km eggs and used a Lucky Egg. Got over 17,000 exp out of that. Most importantly, I finally got the Alakazam I've always wanted.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
SbHElxK.png

Article here

What’s important to point out is that Niantic didn’t need to add any new content, such as additional Pokemon, to the game in order to encourage increased player spending on items such as lure modules that make finding the creatures easier. Not only that, but the game’s online community reacted extremely positively to the tweaks introduced during the event, with many calling for more holiday themed events like this in the future.

I also noticed active lures again in my town, which hadn't happened since summer. Which is funny, because lures also spat out mostly Halloween fodder, that you could find everywhere.

Top Bottom