• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go - Halloween Event

itshutton

YEs!!! I've just got back into it. I have a few Pokemon that Ineed a few more candies to evolve. Might be walking a lot around Halloween......

Insaniac

gonna be biking all over the place to take advantage of the double catch candies and quadruple buddy bonus. Also still need a good ghastly and candies to evolve a gengar.

Gleethor

Embracing the fact that it's become a ghost town?

latest

I know it's specifically Halloween, but way to be really god damn late to the party for one of these events, Niantic. smh.

And yeah, no thanks for really any of those Pokemon being more common, except for maybe Gengar.

The extra candies is the only good thing.

PMS341

I forgot about this game. What happened to all the hype? Used to be a ton of threads on here and I saw it on the news constantly.

Like many mobile games, this one faded a bit compared to launch, though it still has a ridiculous amount of users.

That, combined with the lack of real major updates (still no tracking, catch rates getting tougher, etc) really set it on the current path.

True Fire

I forgot about this game. What happened to all the hype? Used to be a ton of threads on here and I saw it on the news constantly.

Pokemon Go has no endgame, no metagame, no trading, etc. There's very little incentive to continue playing, and the game itself is very shallow (very few items, repetitive Pokemon, god-awful battle system). There's also rampant cheating, and controversies over Niantic's terrible game design that were never smoothed over.

All-in-all it will be battling No Man's Sky for the title of Most Disappointing GOTY.

MANUELF

Banned
Hopefully they simply erase pidgey and rattata from the system for the duration of the event, they are everywhere and are pretty much wortless outside of EXP farming

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Clearly I need to hang out with you folks, I hardly ever see Drowzee... zubat on the other hand...
According to my pokedex, Drowzees make up about one-third of the pokemon I encounter.

I think I see more Drowzees than Pidgeys.

Is this even still a thing? I haven't seen anyone playing it or talking about Pokemon Go. Heck, I even forgot about it until I saw this thread title.

Hopefully they simply erase pidgey and rattata from the system for the duration of the event, they are everywhere and are pretty much wortless outside of EXP farming

HELLLLL no! That's the only legit way to level up in the game. The increased ghost/psychic types don't help a whole heck of a lot except an eventual chance at a good IV poke.

Is this even still a thing? I haven't seen anyone playing it or talking about Pokemon Go. Heck, I even forgot about it until I saw this thread title.

Yeah, Niantic managed the grinding part of the game poorly and never tried something outside of the mmo style experience, which is exactly why it plummeted so quickly. However, I'm used to the grind and the "pvp" (grym) experience so I've stuck with it. Plus I joined the worst team possible for money making lolz..

pringles

Decent event imo and basically exactly what many suggested they'd do for Halloween. Still, to create real hype again they can't just increase Zubat spawns. Making the region exclusives non-exclusive for a few days, adding new pokemon, increasing spawns of something actually rare etc are things that could spark the community again.
And when the hell will they add Ditto/the birds/Mewtwo?

Also it's too cold now to do much walking so the increased buddy candy is too late for us northerners.

PSFan

Should have went with Cubone and Marowak instead of the Zubats. Both Zubat and Golbat are everywhere around here.

Zomba13

I haven't played it since the update that made it so rooted phones can't launch it. Event seems kinda lame increasing Drowzee and Zubats though, they were sooooo common here, it'd be like having an event that made more Rattatas and Pidgey.

the grind is all there is after a certain point. the battle engine isn't fun at all, and once you've gotten everything that will spawn near you, there's nearly nothing to do other than fight gyms in a circular manner with no end-game. i guess you could also hatch a bunch of eggs to see if you can get anything else. otherwise, it's just "catch the same stuff hundreds of times to level up and battle gyms as many times as you can stand to."

Oh shit, they're not even in the game? I thought I remember a thread about a girl with a Zapdos.

yeah that caused quite a bit of controversy. Apparently they sent one as a thank you for reporting an error, until she posted about it on social media and everyone poo-pooed about it so they took it back.

Some thing for an Articuno for somebody I believe.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If you haven't been playing for a while I can see why this could be disappointing as an event, but for those still playing, the candy bonus is pretty useful:

- 8 candies for every evo fodder transfer. For example if there's like a bulbasaur nest nearby you can get your Venusaur very quickly
- get candy 4x as fast when walking with your buddy (helpful if you want to evolve a rare species)
- eggs give double candy

The select pokémon becoming more common is by far the least exciting thing, but the rest is very cool. Especially if you're closing in on completing your pokédex.

What's with all the negativity? Double candies on everything? This is pretty huge. First time niantic does something cool like an event and everybody shits on it. Yeah sure the selected pokemon aren't great but they fit thematically. Also that's just like a side thing, the main event is the double candy amount.

I think this is great!

Yeah I was surprised by all the negative reactions, people should encourage this kind of event. The candy boost is awesome.

Red Fire

What's with all the negativity? Double candies on everything? This is pretty huge. First time niantic does something cool like an event and everybody shits on it. Yeah sure the selected pokemon aren't great but they fit thematically. Also that's just like a side thing, the main event is the double candy amount.

I think this is great!

I see some posters asking how they could possibly increase the encounter rate for things like zubats and drowzees. Clearly they haven't taken into account the possibility of stacking them ontop of each other :p
I expect to see Drowzees carried by zubats, drowzee towers and zubat flocks take over edinburgh for this week.

Swamped

Banned
I'm excited about buddies giving quadruple the candy! And it looks like it will be a good time to hatch some eggs too.

Striek

Its crazy to think this app was only released a few months ago. The most insane condensed boom and bust cycle. From dominating conversations at work and filling up our city parks to literally no one plays anymore.

Looked at my data usage for this month and Pokemon Go isn't at the top. The colder/wetter weather has affected my playtime, plus the XP spike once I hit Level 20.

Replicant

Drowzee and Gastly are endangered species in my city so I welcome them with open arms. Even more so Hypno, Haunter, and Gengar. With high IVs and good movesets, I hope!

MrBS

Zubats aside a lot of these pokemon are quite rare in my area so I also welcome this event. Time to do lots of walking too!

MANUELF

Banned
HELLLLL no! That's the only legit way to level up in the game. The increased ghost/psychic types don't help a whole heck of a lot except an eventual chance at a good IV poke.
Thats why I said for the duration of the event, no one needs more candy for them and they being so common everywhere would really help to make it known there is an event ongoing, also if I never see another one of them it would be the greatest update ever

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Embracing the fact that it's become a ghost town?

lmao holy shit

But yeah, I work in a big downtown area and there wasn't a single lure up in the middle of the day today when I decided to check out of morbid curiosity. Game is unfortunately a bit too dead for me to get back in for more Drowzees and more candy. It's cool that they're doing something though.

In other news, one particular third party scanning service is back up and running!

Edit: >> https://fastpokemap.se

Here's hoping Niantic doesn't focus on them and instead focus on making the game better.

Holy shit, did they change the spawn rate to be even worse?, theres fucking shit in my city, there were much more when the game started. Glad there is something like this again though, now that why now Niantic can be bothered to do their job right after months.

Dishwalla

Banned
Who cares about all the stupid Zubat and Drowzee, don't catch them if you don't want them. The fact that they are boosting candies recieved for this is great, going to put in more time with this game than I have in over a month to get as many Charmander and Machop and Abra candies as I can get.

Fox Mulder

I still have never seen like four pokemon on that banner in the game.

Stagnation killed the game for me, as I never got anything new at only like 70 caught.

batfax

aaaand checking my game (and even using the map thing to check the nearest town) there's still literally nothing around me. They're never gonna make this playable in rural areas, are they? =\

Though I'm starting to get really curious if I can actually transfer my Pokemon from Go to S/M or if I hallucinated that feature since I never heard about it again.

Top Bottom