• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

I don't want to sound too much like a Genwunner, because I really do love Pokemon from each gen and I have almost as many fond memories of Hoenn as I do of Kanto, but I would really love a Kanto remake in this engine and style. I loved running around the overworld in this and it would be amazing to run around through Kanto in the same way.

My hype for this just went through the roof, framerate issues aside this was exceeding basically every expectation I had for this and I was already completely sold on the game.

BahamutPT

Does the mysterious old man give you anything else besides the Stardust? Debating whether I should go there a 4th/5th time.

Grylvak

Any good analysis between n3DS and og3DS?

I haven't been able to record anything since i'm at work right now but N3DS seems to give the demo a small boost in performance when it comes to battles/moves and PokeFinder locations.

I only have a o3DS capture card so I wouldn't be able to closely compare it against N3DS sadly.

Poyunch

Man it sucks to hear there are noticeable frame drops on the og 3DS. I didn't really notice anything on the n3DS, thankfully.

Only thing that bothered me was the speed of fury attack.

cHinzo

Definitely noticable framedrops on the OG 3DS. Especially when taking pictures and at the totem battle. Nothing I can't handle luckily. I just want to play a new Pokemon game. Too bad a lot of designs are just as lame as Gen V mons. Kinda limiting my possible team.

I want to mention how dumb those gates in the city are. I thought they would just swing open, but there's a load when going through them :/

Poyunch

Has anybody ran like the S/M player character runs... Ever?

Im sure the game will be fantastic but visually it's garbage.
As soon as I got Tauros I was never not on it if I could. I dint even remember the animation.

I'm more distracted by the walk cycle. He looks like he's power walking but he moves so slow.

GOOD LORD. The demo has been downloading for the past 2hrs and it's not even halfway done. I have a pretty high speed internet, and never really had any problems downloading games off the e-shop. Is this because tons of people are probably getting this atm?

Fireblend

Banned
GOOD LORD. The demo has been downloading for the past 2hrs and it's not even halfway done. I have a pretty high speed internet, and never really had any problems downloading games off the e-shop. Is this because tons of people are probably getting this atm?

That sounds pretty unreasonable. I had no issue downloading it in <10 mins with my shitty third world country connection as soon as it went up. Could it not be connection issues on your end?

That sounds pretty unreasonable. I had no issue downloading it in <10 mins with my shitty third world country connection as soon as it went up. Could it not be connection issues on your end?
Just did a quick speed test and I'm at 14Mbps download (4Mbps upload). No problems that I can notice aside from this thing taking forever lol. Kind of afraid to cancel and reset since it's been this long to get to where I am.

gafneo

Banned
So beat the demo, and continued playing a bit after. Man, graphics and art are incredibly lush. This game is also easy to jump into after years of struggling to find appeal with each entry. I love running around each shop and chatting with NPCs. No long winded dialogues, game gets straight to the point. This will be the game that wins over non fans such as myself and sells by the truckloads to oldschool diehards.

Kyzer

Banned
+
Music
Trial System + Totem Bosses
Alola Region
Overworld
Transferring caught pokemon to party
Wearing riding gear during battle
Encountering Pokemon by taking pics
PokeFinder Pics
Localization ("Rocks on rocks on rocks", "I guess I'll hold this loss")
Demo Itself

-
City Layout
Walking back after completing event/trial. Previous games always had a clever shortcut to get back quickly after traversing an area. Hopefully its just cuz of the demo.
Nothing to do between date events

-
City Layout
Walking back after completing event/trial. Previous games always had a clever shortcut to get back quickly after traversing an area. Hopefully its just cuz of the demo.

I don't have a problem with the city layout itself, but the camera angles make it kind of a pain. If you could rotate the camera yourself I don't think I'd have a problem with the city.

Dragoshi1

Ok, nighttime is in effect.

No different Pokémon at night.

Talked to mysterious old man 6 times, saves after each talk, repeats now, but still saves. I WILL FIND OUT YOUR SECRETS OLD FOOL. GIMME FREE STUFF.

Poyunch

I don't have a problem with the city layout itself, but the camera angles make it kind of a pain. If you could rotate the camera yourself I don't think I'd have a problem with the city.
I've been playing too much SMTIV: A lately so I keep wanting to rotate the camera with the shoulder buttons.

RocknRola

So beat the demo, and continued playing a bit after. Man, graphics and art are incredibly lush. This game is also easy to jump into after years of struggling to find appeal with each entry. I love running around each shop and chatting with NPCs. No long winded dialogues, game gets straight to the point. This will be the game that wins over non fans such as myself and sells by the truckloads to oldschool diehards.

I actually beg to differ. Graphics are not that different from what we had on X/Y and ORAS (both of which I played a lot); the trial (for me) was all kinds of awful and boring (really hoping this is a demo exclusive trial), the NPC's continue to be boring as hell and the demo (I know, it's a demo) felt kinda short for it's own good. Dunno.

Also, the game is screaming for a 2nd analog stick/way to control the camera freely. Some of the set camera angles were somewhat bothersome, I found myself trying to adjust the camera (which you can't).

Mixed feelings on the demo. For me it did more harm than good. I would have rather they let us capture some of the new Pokemon in the area and try to be beat the trial in a more "normal" way.

On the upside, riding Taurus is awesome! So there is that :p

Lukemon

Just did a quick speed test and I'm at 14Mbps download (4Mbps upload). No problems that I can notice aside from this thing taking forever lol. Kind of afraid to cancel and reset since it's been this long to get to where I am.

Weird, might be getting rammed now all of America has woken up I guess but I came home at lunch (UK here, so seven hours ago or so) with three 3DSs (mine and two guys from work) and managed to get it on all three inside of 15 minutes on a connection just shy of yours. Let it run - patience is super effective on this one.

JoeM86

No idea if anyone posted it here, but you check your EVs in the Status Screen of Pokémon. Press Y
CvDkPHGXYAAnOkG.jpg

Weird, might be getting rammed now all of America has woken up I guess but I came home at lunch (UK here, so seven hours ago or so) with three 3DSs (mine and two guys from work) and managed to get it on all three inside of 15 minutes on a connection just shy of yours. Let it run - patience is super effective on this one.
It is 16:00 ET, so kids are getting home from school. Servers are getting murked atm. I gotta keep checking on the download however, since for the past few minutes I actually have been getting server errors on the screen. Luckily the download keeps going from where it left off.

Boogiepop

You can also change the markings directly in this screen. And there are two colors you can use to mark. I think this is new?

Oh hell yes! Unless that was sneaked in for ORAS and I didn't notice, then yeah, that should be new and was one minor tweak I really wanted. (IE it's a way to mark both 0s and 31s at the same time for IVs, which is nice for trick room and stuff. Or for just denoting that there's a bad IV on something. Either way, it's a minor utility that I've wanted for a while).

Karu

Camera in the city was god awful and the one big flaw I personally saw in the demo. Not XY central city bad, but still...

Dremorak

Banned
I've caught 5 pikachu in the catching challenge, too afraid to leave incase I'm just short of some kind of "catch 6 pokemon to get this reward" kind of deal. Anyone know what the goal is here? Is there a goal?

Fireblend

Banned
I've caught 5 pikachu in the catching challenge, too afraid to leave incase I'm just short of some kind of "catch 6 pokemon to get this reward" kind of deal. Anyone know what the goal is here? Is there a goal?

Just catching 3 pokemon of any kind I believe.

This game is really pretty. The cel shading is great for the 3DS.
No 3D though? Lol... even on 3DSXL? It is missed.

I kind of miss the old 2D sprites, but this is great, too.

FSLink

Banned
Oh hell yes! Unless that was sneaked in for ORAS and I didn't notice, then yeah, that should be new and was one minor tweak I really wanted. (IE it's a way to mark both 0s and 31s at the same time for IVs, which is nice for trick room and stuff. Or for just denoting that there's a bad IV on something. Either way, it's a minor utility that I've wanted for a while).
You can do that in XY by touching the symbols iirc.

Was not impressed my this demo. Got some strong Yokai Watch vibes, and that game was garbage. I think I like the new camera angle less too, I just kept trying to rotate it.

I've been playing too much SMTIV: A lately so I keep wanting to rotate the camera with the shoulder buttons.
Yuuuuuup

Top Bottom