• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

RagnarokX

Weird how they gated off the areas in town with tall grass and every time you go through a gate you have to sit through a long black screen.

Aters

Couldn't believe I'd be hyped for another Pokemon game yet here I am, Sun pre-ordered. Some little changes such as getting rid of the grid are able to sway my heart.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh god, now there isn't even 3D in Singles Battles?

One of my biggest anticipations for this game was seeing how GameFreak/Nintendo refined the engine after X/Y and OR/AS, but instead they just...gave up?

Jesus that's disappointing.

Nintendo's biggest affiliated handheld studio can't figure out their hardware even 6 years into the generation and 3 games later.

How can Smash and Kid Icarus do rock-solid 30 and 60FPS Online Multiplayer with 3D on and GameFreak can't even get it working up to a minimum level in a one-on-one offline battle?

It's fucking embarrassing.

Vanille

The faint lines on the screen while running around are annoying..

on a N3DS XL

Oh, so it's not just my 3DS. They were really distracting in Ten Carat Hill.

Ugh. Why couldn't they just wait an extra year for the NX and tide us over with Z this year.

That one random note before the start of the wild battle music is annoying me more than it should. I don't know why it's there as it serves no purpose and ruins the flow.

And the lack of 3D is disappointing but I guess there's more going on in the battle screens now. Ah well :(

Dremorak

Banned

One of my biggest anticipations for this game was seeing how GameFreak/Nintendo refined the engine after X/Y and OR/AS, but instead they just...gave up?

Nintendo's biggest affiliated handheld studio can't figure out their hardware even 6 years into the generation and 3 games later.

How can Smash and Kid Icarus do rock-solid 30 and 60FPS Online Multiplayer with 3D on and GameFreak can't even get it working up to a minimum level in a one-on-one offline battle?

Its nothing to do with not being able to figure out the handheld, theres a lot more going on visually than kid icarus here, in texture resolution alone. They obviously just decided to bite the bullet and double down on the visuals. Which, tbh, I prefer rather than focusing on stereoscopic 3d, which is cool for about 5 mins and then most people never turn on again
aid3834229-728px-Get-a-Sylveon-Quick-in-Pokemon-X-and-Y-Step-2-Version-2.jpg

^X and Y
sun-moon-route.jpg

^ sun and moon

Not the best images but you get the idea

Nintendo doesn't own or develop Pokémon, and a pitiful amount of money is spent on making these games (so far anyway).

Oli

Camera in the city was god awful and the one big flaw I personally saw in the demo. Not XY central city bad, but still...

Feel the same way. The control feels fluid and movement through the world was my biggest concern, but the camera does feel awkward and I found myself wishing I could adjust its position.

RaidenXZ

So I'm pretty sure I did everything in the demo but how do we get the girl to appear for the Dugtrio? She hasn't shown up on the beach yet :(

It seems like Game Freak focused on improving the visuals more than implementing stereoscopic 3D. I'd also argue that Sun and Moon aren't a solid example for saying a dev team "can't figure out their hardware" considering it's one of the more visually impressive titles on the system. Just like with Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter, the standard 3DS OS can't fully load while the game is running.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally finished playing the demo and.... I hated it.

Nah I am kidding I loved it and was really impressed by the level of effort that Game Freak put into the game miles better than what gen 6 offered Alola feels like a living and breathing region and the NPC are vibrant and lively.

I do have one compliant and that it's the trial challenge taking pictures and then fighting wild Pokémon just didn't do anything and I much rather prefer the gym challenge set up, though I will wait for the full game to be release to see how the trial challenge is done.

Also during the Totem battle I kinds suspected that we might be able to catch the Totem Pokémon, which is great as I want to catch the Totem Lurantis.

Anyway my thoughts on the demo;

+I loved the visual
+Loved the trainer intro, they were missing in gen 6
+Loving the Alola region so far
+Loved the trainer battle music
+It was fun charging around on Tauros
+Love the wild battle intro
+Love the short cut for Pokéball, though I wonder if we can swap them out for other items.

-Didn't care for Super Greninja
-Not too hot on Trial challenge
-Totem Battle don't feel any different from wild Pokémon battle
-No auto run
-Not too fond on the new move layout, feels too cramped and I much prefer the one we have since gen 3
-Game takes a long time to load when viewing Pokémon data

All in all I am still hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon

GAF is the only place where I ever hear about people trashing run cycles.

That's nothing I heard some people complaining because Game Freak changed the grass design in the Johto remake.

blamite

Oh neat, when you go into a battle wearing the riding gear you still wear it in the battle.

That and the fact that npc trainers send out their Pokemon in different types of balls are two of my favorite minor touches I've noticed to far. And the twirling, obviously.

Zombine

Banned
I'm okay with the smaller new Pokémon list because the quality of life/graphic/world building enhancements they made are incredible.

wmlk

Like, I'm listening to some favourite tracks from past games just in anticipation of the demo. This one comment for the Marine Tube track is so on point.

"Isn't it funny that there's more life in this area than all of X and Y?"

So true, lol. Hopefully Sun/Moon are a return to form.

Razmos

My face when I spent 10 pokeballs to catch Pikachu in the catching challenge, and caught it on the last one... only for him to release all the pokemon back into the wild straight away. Eurghhh

Mr-Joker

Banned
Like, I'm listening to some favourite tracks from past games just in anticipation of the demo. This one comment for the Marine Tube track is so on point.

"Isn't it funny that there's more life in this area than all of X and Y?"

So true, lol. Hopefully Sun/Moon are a return to form.

Ha ha so true, but yeah judging by the demo alone it seems like that Game Freak realised that something got lost in translation between the shift from 2D to 3D and just basically tore down what they had and started again from scratch.

EhoaVash

I liked the music in this, sounds better than previous installments

anyway i'm not sure what else I expected to be different i mean its pokemon lol
visually it looks okay, I expected it to be a fully 3d world, not that one perspective 3D which games like Yokai watch have been doing for a while....

I haven't finished X/Y shit became typical pokemon affair pretty boring midway, while I do like the music, and the characters seem more likable this time, i wonder if i should bother with pokemon anymore.

I thought it was pretty bad but it doesn't have a single reason I like Pokemon in it. I thought there would be more to Poke snapping but it was pretty basic. The lack of Pokemon catching (my favorite feature and why I like Pokemon) wasn't in the demo at all but that's to be expected. The characters seem okay so far. I like Hau and his bubbling energy. The trial seemed pretty plain, however. I'm looking forward to the final game but not because of the demo. I thought the trailer for the full game after beating the demo got me more hyped than a single second of this special demo. At the least it'll be worth it when I transfer my Ash-Greninja to Sun. My favorite thing about the demo was the glimpse at the potential the game has: its music is fantastic and the Pokemon Center theme is my favorite in the series, I love that Alola town's Hawaiian music, the malasada shop really evoked a particular atmosphere and I'm hoping for a Portugese Pokemon game in the future.

I just clicked start again after beating the demo and the demo can continue, so maybe my thoughts are premature.

pariah164

Someone please explain to me why they put auto-run in HeartGold/SoulSilver, then NEVER again. I need an answer for this, because logically, it makes no fucking sense.

Razmos

An NPC mentions a character called Kahili who is a golfing genius from Alola who is currently touring the world. Isn't there a golf course on the map?

Do I sense a Pokémon golf trial?

18 yoooo!

When he pointed out that I caught at least 3 I didn't even bother trying to get a catch for each ball. Shoulda had more than 3 Pokemon in that grass.
Haha, nice. I think 2 or 3 pokes managed to shake out of their balls because I only got them down to yellow instead of red health :3

Yeah, when it said "you got more than 3 so here's a nugget" I was just all "oop, guess I overkilled it a bit"

I was slightly miffed that rockpuppies were so rare for me :eek:

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Is it possible for the Greninja in the demo to have a nature other than Hardy? I've reset a couple of times for the nature, but it's been Hardy every time.

Is it possible for the Greninja in the demo to have a nature other than Hardy? I've reset a couple of times for the nature, but it's been Hardy every time.
From a few of the stat-delving threads I've read, it seems like it's set to Hardy and doesn't change :eek:
i'd link you but i don't recall where I read it, but they'd pulled the stats out from the data.

edit:
A Yungoos just popped out of a pokeball in red health.
Ouch. Random gonna random I guess :3

MicH

Someone in the ferry Harbor wants me to come back in 23 days. Do we know how many different activities there are? I've only done the catch 3 Pokemon, battle 3 trainers, smash the boulders and come back in 1 day stuff. Any way to unlock more?

Someone in the ferry Harbor wants me to come back in 23 days. Do we know how many different activities there are? I've only done the catch 3 Pokemon, battle 3 trainers, smash the boulders and come back in 1 day stuff. Any way to unlock more?
there's a few more day restricted ones but apart from that I'm not aware of any more.
There should be:
5 days - woman standing on the street corner
18 days - police man on the docks
24 days - woman in the ferry port building

Also the cafe in the pokecentre mention the owner is away for a month, maybe that's a time thing too? :eek:

so I finished the main trial, is there anything else worthwhile to get other than that nugget for catching pokemon?
Apart from the stuff I mentioned above there's also...

* meet the man standing just outside the poke center the day after you complete the demo for the first time
* defeat the 3 trainers and the ace trainer on Karret (sp?) hill
* talk to the lady at the end of the road near the crowd of slopokes, she'll take you to a place where you break rocks and get presents from a creepy old man :p

The section after the trial is definitely more my speed. I have no idea why they put you back to the start screen. It makes it seem like that's all there is to the demo.

Fireblend

Banned
I really hope the city is more heavily populated in the actual game, I guess I should take it for granted, specially that plaza next to the malasala place with only 1 machamp in it. I'm also somewhat disappointed at the lack of houses - seems to be just businesses and governmental buildings there :p

Just finished the demo. Pretty, fun. Loving the vibe of Alola. Is there anything we have to do to ensure getting the demo extra (which in assuming is Ash Greninja?) unlocked in the full game when I buy Moon? Or am I good so long as a save file from the demo is present?

Just finished the demo. Pretty, fun. Loving the vibe of Alola. Is there anything we have to do to ensure getting the demo extra (which in assuming is Ash Greninja?) unlocked in the full game when I buy Moon? Or am I good so long as a save file from the demo is present?
You should be good to go as long as you keep the demo: when you get the game proper, you start up the demo and talk to prof kukui in the pokecentre to transfer your booty :D

Top Bottom